• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Diego Abraham

Recruit
Sep 27, 2018
Hello everyone! I am playing like Argentina, I am new and I am learning the mechanics but there is one in particular that I cannot understand:

I cannot advance in my career to GP due to the lack of population (little production and little army)

I see that countries like Colombia, Brazil, Mexico and obviously the United States, received a lot of immigration (up to 8 or 9K), while Argentina goes years without receiving absolutely nothing. Even Uruguay obtains populations greater than 3M, while Argentina does not exceed 500 K.

Do you know how I can get more immigrants? It is known that Argentina was the Hispanic country that received the most immigrants during the Victorian era in the world!

You are not a great power, so what's left is having
a low unemployment rate
and these reforms :

modifier = {
factor = 1.05
vote_franschise = wealth_voting
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.25
vote_franschise = universal_weighted_voting
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.5
vote_franschise = universal_voting

See also https://vic2.paradoxwikis.com/Migration#Country_Migration_Target

You can' compete with the US, as the US has several decisions that increase it's attractiveness
to immigrants and an important event depending on good relations with the french.

Reactions:
Hello everyone! I am playing like Argentina, I am new and I am learning the mechanics but there is one in particular that I cannot understand:

I cannot advance in my career to GP due to the lack of population (little production and little army)

I see that countries like Colombia, Brazil, Mexico and obviously the United States, received a lot of immigration (up to 8 or 9K), while Argentina goes years without receiving absolutely nothing. Even Uruguay obtains populations greater than 3M, while Argentina does not exceed 500 K.

Do you know how I can get more immigrants? It is known that Argentina was the Hispanic country that received the most immigrants during the Victorian era in the world!
victoria 2 is a mess, something i notice too is that when a country is controlled by the AI it gets more inmigrants than a human player, USA have the statue of liberty event so he will get always the mayor porcentage of inmigrants, the only thing you can do is using a cheat to have more inmigrants or trigger an event trough the console

Reactions:
It's not my experience that the AI gets more migrants than a player. You need to have a low unemployment of all your pops (not just craftsmen), which usually means no colonies, being a democracy, having many reforms, and being a GP are important too. Sometimes it can be tough to get enough reforms, Argentina doesn't start as a democracy.
You can't outcompete the US (unless you manage to wreck them) but you should still be able to receive a lot of migrants.

Reactions:
It's not my experience that the AI gets more migrants than a player. You need to have a low unemployment of all your pops (not just craftsmen), which usually means no colonies, being a democracy, having many reforms, and being a GP are important too. Sometimes it can be tough to get enough reforms, Argentina doesn't start as a democracy.
You can't outcompete the US (unless you manage to wreck them) but you should still be able to receive a lot of migrants.
yeah i know all of that, i even cheat to make my country democrat, but even with that, a presidential dictactorship always get more, my RGOs are empty, and when i pass reforms, i get some inmigrants more, but the AI, always beat me, even having a goberment far away from democracy

Reactions:
yeah i know all of that, i even cheat to make my country democrat, but even with that, a presidential dictactorship always get more, my RGOs are empty, and when i pass reforms, i get some inmigrants more, but the AI, always beat me, even having a goberment far away from democracy
Well, then all I can say is that it doesn't match my experience, I do get way more migrants than almost everyone else when I manage to be strongly democratic. (empty RGOs do not mean you don't have unemployment, in fact empty RGO could mean you have a lot of unemployment among farmers and laborers, maybe you already know that, but you have to check in the pop tabs)

I think there's also a factor where migrants prioritize provinces that already have some pops of their own culture, so if you're late in boosting your immigrant attractiveness you may have already missed out on some big cultures.

I've been playing with various mods though so I'm not sure if this is in the base game.

It seems your problem is the lack of reforms.

If you play in Americas and isnt USA or Brazil (both of them have hidden factors to attract immigration and will get them no matter what), you do not want to simply "pass reforms", you want to "pass ALL political reforms ASAP by 1880 at very least, preferably before".

How do you do that? Proxy wars to pump your militancy and force the conservatives vote pro reforms. Being a GP ASAP also helps wonders.

Also keep in mind if you get 10% national unemployment rate you wont get any immigration, even with all reforms approved.

Being human controlled or AI doesnt affect in the slightest.

Hey... I’m new to v2, and haven’t played yet at all except for a fee days as brazil...

and I got v2 for a eu4-hoi4 run. Currently Russia in 1650ish, rp’ing, and I’m prepping for vickie by way of the wiki...

and I was thinking I might focus immigration... (to get labor for my farms)...

would this just insanely cripple me?

Hey... I’m new to v2, and haven’t played yet at all except for a fee days as brazil...

and I got v2 for a eu4-hoi4 run. Currently Russia in 1650ish, rp’ing, and I’m prepping for vickie by way of the wiki...

and I was thinking I might focus immigration... (to get labor for my farms)...

would this just insanely cripple me?
If you're not playing a country in the Americas, you'll only get a small number of immigrants no matter what you do, since those countries have massive bonuses that will draw most of the pops toward them instead of you.

Researching Medicine should provide a population growth increase, and several social reforms to Health Care provide growth. Get them ASAP, and you should see significant population growth over time.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you're not playing a country in the Americas, you'll only get a small number of immigrants no matter what you do, since those countries have massive bonuses that will draw most of the pops toward them instead of you.

Researching Medicine should provide a population growth increase, and several social reforms to Health Care provide growth. Get them ASAP, and you should see significant population growth over time.

Thanks!

So how do the mechanics work? Are the immigrants just magically created? Or is it from birth rates and unemoyed/dissatisfied actual ingame pops?

If there are 100 pops available in an immigration pool, and 90 go to the americas, 6 to colonies, can I draw the majority of the remainder? And can that be a significant amount??

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks!

So how do the mechanics work? Are the immigrants just magically created? Or is it from birth rates and unemoyed/dissatisfied actual ingame pops?
No magic, Pops from your country move elsewhere, you are losing population. Still, it's not that big of an issue.
In the beginning, 1836, migration is very low, it will grow though but you have some time. So, if your country is prosperous (no mass unemployment) and relatively democratic (no absolute monarchy), you should be fine. You'll have some migration but your natural growth will outweigh it massively and your population will keep growing, allowing you to field an army and man your factories.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As pointed out, dissatisfied pops can emigrate, and most European countries will see a significant amount of people leave to "greener pastures" in the Americas. Keeping unemployment down, allowing pops to meet their basic needs, and passing a few reforms should limit how many leave, and your natural growth rate should far more than balance the losses. A few pops here and there may even immigrate to your country, but as a European nation, that will be a trivial number no matter what you do, because you don't have the huge modifiers that the New World countries get. Face it, would you rather move to virgin farmland in Ohio or Brazil, or to the frozen steppes of Siberia?

• 1Like
Reactions:
As pointed out, dissatisfied pops can emigrate, and most European countries will see a significant amount of people leave to "greener pastures" in the Americas. Keeping unemployment down, allowing pops to meet their basic needs, and passing a few reforms should limit how many leave, and your natural growth rate should far more than balance the losses. A few pops here and there may even immigrate to your country, but as a European nation, that will be a trivial number no matter what you do, because you don't have the huge modifiers that the New World countries get. Face it, would you rather move to virgin farmland in Ohio or Brazil, or to the frozen steppes of Siberia?

I dunno... does Siberia have mosquitos? I hate mosquitos...