I'm lazy, help me choose a Mod - BEX3025CE or BT Revised?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ntw

Captain
49 Badges
Feb 28, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Dungeonland
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Background -
600+H in BT, mostly vanilla. Brief forays into RT and I dabbled briefly with BEX3025CE before reverting to vanilla with the latest (last) patch.

Scope -
Is anyone able to advise the key differences between the two mods?

Bex3025ex is still pretty much the core game with its same balance issues.. at least that's what I feel from it. I like it, it is fun but it's a bit of a cake walk past a certain point.

BTR how ever is a different beast entirely. The emphasis has been on balance balance balance. Extensive work both on mechs, weapons systems and the nuts and bolts of customizing your merc command,, along with some phenomenal amount of under the hood changes that were synergized (yes I really used that word in a sentence!) with the more obvious changes to tweak the game AI to give you a real fight and for the missions to provide you a real challenge no matter if your running around in 4 lights or 4 assaults and everything in between. *takes a breath*

Yes I am one of the beta testers/QA for BTR. I'm kinda in with the in crowd..kinda.. sorta.. SO yes, I am very biased. But I've had more fun with BTR than any other mod I've played with other than Hobbes Hyades Reach (Vanilla mod) which I hold co-equal due to Hobbes excellend flash point and story writing. Bex is very strong, but it's a different flavor of game play. My opinion is BTR will challenge you in the long term far more that any other mod currently out there. So much so in point of fact that several other mod makers are looking closely at what BTR has done and how it's done it. It's not just better or improved AI code. It has been a rebalance of the weapons and gear to more easily allow the AI to actually use what it has. A good player is still going to win most if not all of their fights, but they'll have to work harder and smarter for those victories. And some of those fight you will call a victory to have just survived them because you ran away in time! I've had one fight where I completed the primary objective just to realize I wasn't going to get away and I was not going to complete any of the secondaries and found myself ejecting my pilots just to save them and the mechs. I've never had to do that in ANY other mod. Not ever.

So yes, I have a passion for BTR. It's not easy, it's not cheesy, and it's definitely not going to let you be so OP that every fight is a cake walk you play blasted out of your mind or in your sleep. Have you got what it takes? Only one way to find out.

TL "Warlord" Roff sends

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
P.S. We should make Mitch and the HBS crew play the mod... I'm pretty sure it would leave them with their collective jaws on the floor with what's been done with THEIR game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll throw in a vote for Hyades Rim.

It is amazing, with lots of new flashpoints and @Hobbes__ is still making about 9 more.

It's compatible with Galaxy at War, so you can fight for whatever faction you like as well.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Now Hyades Rim is going to be a whole new campaign with 21, count 'em, 21 new FP.

Time for some exciting news!

As announced a while ago, the 16 new/planned Flashpoints are all a part of the same story, consisting of several mini-campaigns. The Here Might Be Dragons flashpoint that ends one of the mini-campaigns already revealed a part of this story and the power plays in the Hyades Rim. And more will be progressively related as the nine remaining FPs came out. At the same time, the release of the Rimward Periphery map made the whole playing ground a lot bigger, which by itself already resulted in a reassignment of planned Flashpoints, and a likely future increase on its number from 16 to 21. And the new star map will also result in more minor factions being added.

With these two steps in progress, it's time to add two final future features that were long planned since this mod's beginning: replacing the Argo with the Leopard at start and make a full replacement of the base campaign. Or, in other words, this mod will be now designed as a new Campaign mode, rather than an expansion to Career mode, with the new flashpoints being used to tell its story. This will have major implications to game play experience and the Hyades Rim story.

Alternate History

The divergent point from the canon timeline is that during the events in Coronation Day, both Raiju and Kamea Arano miss the DropShip that is supposed to carry them but Madeira betrays their location to House Espinosa and Raiju is killed attempting to escape while Kamea is captured. With control of the Council through gifts and threats, the Directorate conducts a kangaroo court of Kamea and, in exchange for Madeira's support, her death sentence is suspended rather than executed, to avoid turning her into a martyr. House Arano is disbanded and their possessions divided among the other houses, while Kamea is allowed to go to exile and join a mercenary company, as long as she never gets herself involved again in Aurigan politics.

Three years later, the Aurigan Reach founds itself at peace under the new regime. The leaders of several noble houses were replaced by more compliant family members under the pressure of House Espinosa, while plans to replace the Coalition with the Directorate were dropped although in reality Lord Espinosa has near absolute power by controlling the council. Which has lessen the need for open repressive measures in order to keep power, and avoids the popular resentment that fueled Kamea's Arano Restoration.

Discredited by Espinosa's propaganda and with no Canopian support, Kamea has now joined the Leopard and your crew as MechWarrior and Farah has joined her in exile after being harassed and prosecuted by Espinosa's secret police. Madeira was able to stay in his family's estates in Guldra, but only by stepping out as his house's representative in the Council, as Lord Espinosa doesn't trust him because of his former support to Kamea. Disgraced by events, Kamea turns to depression and anger, while the company's debts are piling up and the banks are after the DropShip.

Until Interstellar Expeditions contacts the company and offers it a long-term contract to explore the Hyades Rim and that's the start of the new campaign.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm a BEX-CE vote. Been playing the mod a long while and I like it. And apparently the missions versus the clans are anything but a cake walk with the newest version, I've not yet tried one myself.

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I decided to try BTR, so far it doesn't feel too different to vanilla BT or what I remember of BEX3025-CE (my memory is famously awful though, except for the weirdest things!). I'm loving the mech quirks (Commando with an ER LL in the right arm is CRAZY!) and the expanded pilot management (revised skills, familiarity) and the "priority missions" to capture planets are good.

I'm late to the conversation, but I would just like to throw in a little extra information.
BEX follows lore rigidly & end game boss are the clans.
BTR includes Galaxy at War, so you can feel that your merc company can make a difference, but apparently does not really include clans.
I think that is a shame, but I hope at some point they might be included.

Useful, thank you!

I'm still enjoying BTR and the GaW does feel satisfying. I'm enjoying the implementation of it, having to complete several missions at set times to swing a planet.
It does still feel a lot like vanilla BT though, I'd expected more of a different feel based on comments above.. However I am still pootling around in Med/Lt Mechs.

Might have to take another look at BEX, I like the sound of kicking some clan botty.

My vote goes to Hyades Rim - lots of Flashpoints, includes Galaxy at War and has a expanded galaxy map. Lots of mech variants too, and includes some interesting mysteries alongless traveled systems, including a mysterious faction running around with SL mechs ( I highly suspect it is the Wolverines).

• 1Like
Reactions:
BEX is the only one that is Campaign compatible isnt it?
Thats what makes it a natural try first...

Hyades Rim also sounds really good but i have not found the time i barely can play BEX as much as i want...

But yeah, these Mods really add MUCH to the game!

Reactions:
Hobbes is about to convert Hyades Rim to a campaign in and of itself. It will include his 16 new FP and be a totally different story involving Kamea.

• 3Like
Reactions: