Im-/Export bug, hints, symptoms and causes - "All resource management in the game is a deception."

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What bothers me intensively is that some guys provide information about what is wrong and some others just yell into the void that it might not be the case without giving information.

Science-based it works the different way. Prove that its working and make reproducable examples. End of story.
There is an extensive thread of reddit in which someone else tests the findings and finds something else. The damage has already been done however. Its this thread going viral, not the other guy who tested. Basicly accusing CO of lies and deception.

• 10Like
Reactions:
I've got some advice for Paradox/CO - if the system is working as intended, or if this is just a bug, or if this is just a placeholder they've put in because they didn't have time to finish it before the game was pushed out the door, or if we've all got it wrong... maybe just come out and acknowledge whichever of those it is? End of problem, right?

• 9Like
Reactions:
EDIT: I had no idea that the imgur links would load on this site. Is there a way to make it so that it's just a link?
No need to bother with image hosters at all (unless you want to use the images on multiple platforms, ofc). Just paste them with Ctrl+V into your posts as you would with Word documents or such and they will be uploaded by "magic".

Last edited:
Reactions:
"malice" seems to strong. But, given the performance issues the game has, I would not be surprised if someone intentionally decided to partially disable simulation to reduce the performance impact.
Course if they are disabling highly touted parts of the simulation because of performance, that's another sign the game should have been delayed until they got their performance house in order. Because that's not really any better. Feels like the wonky way funding reduces school graduation rates instead of capacity is a similar "this is just half baked" problem.

That's kind of the whole problem here: there are so many issues at launch that at some point they have zero credibility on them. The game simply wasn't ready.

• 6Like
Reactions:
there was a message on discord from one of the people who had access to the tests, that they had no such problems before the game was released, but the number of errors this game has, I assume that it was not tested well.

View attachment 1036138

yep, one time I was waiting to see if something would happen to my coal mine. 100k production. City only demand 10k. I waited for a good 5 minutes before entering. Not a single truck left the mine. Cargo railway nearby and a coal-fired power plant. But somehow import/export charts they show something. I have 220 tons of letters in the port. I don't even have a post office in town

they dont need, players doing great job. Steam opinion up, 100k players on realse, strong over 40k players all time.

it's in our wallets and that's all that matters to them
This is promising, hopefully an easy fix then!

• 1Like
Reactions:
(Sorry for my English! not my first or even second language!)

hmmm.. reading all the comments and problems with cargo trains/ships not exporting... same for me!
BUT... MAYBE- just MAYBE- it workz as intended?!

what is your excess production PER MONTH? 60-120-300t per month?

Month is what- 24h in game? Correct if I`m wrong.

How many tons of goods can ship/train carry? LOTS! and trains are fast- they can go many many times per month.

Train stations - looks like by design- work as huge warehouses. they will fill all the goods and then distribute goods to factories (working for me) or commercials. Don`t know about commercial buildings - did not see this- maybe there is bug?. Or maybe consumption PER MONTH for commercial is so low - they will fill from trains station very rare?

MAYBE problem is in SCALE. Game "month" or "day" is too long and transportation is "too fast"? Maybe trains are for really HUGE cities- not for population 10k-50k?

Same for passenger rail traffic. In my city all population is on island and all industry/fields are far away. My passenger trains with capacity 800+ are with what- 20-30 passengers per trip for industry with 2k workers? Maybe because they can travel many times per "month" or "day" - so they travel almost empty...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone. I just wanted to pop in and shed some light on this situation as resource management in Cities: Skylines II is, unfortunately, affected by a few bugs at the moment. We are aware of this and currently investigating these issues:

• City services only trade with outside connections, even when storage companies in your city have the resources they need. They should of course be able to purchase the resources your city produces locally.
  • Harbors are mainly trading with your city’s storage companies, not other zoned buildings or city services. As you would expect, they should be able to trade with all zoned buildings and services, allowing your city to import and export through them.
  • We’re investigating reports that indicate the cargo terminal is affected by the same or an issue similar to the harbors.

It’s also worth noting that transportation distance affects costs. We expect that your businesses will prefer the closest storage facilities over a further away harbor/cargo terminal, however, that does not explain the reports we’re seeing.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your reports. The information you provide us is very valuable in narrowing down these issues, and should you encounter any other issues or unexpected behavior, please make sure to report them on our support forum. Response times are a little slow at the moment, but we are working our way through all of your reports and greatly appreciate them and your patience. Thank you.

Text of post:
"Okay, I'll try to explain how I see this system working. Indeed I as many people here noticed that my export doesn't work at all, cargo train always was empty. I tried to make different routes from outer point to cargo terminal and to the outer point again. I'm not sure if this routes stuff really important and I thought that it's completely broken. But then I saw my train exporting some stuff! Here my thoughts about this system:

1. It looks like AI tends to fill the terminal by half. Next if your industry has surplus and terminal filled more than a half, train (and probably Semi Trucks?) exports surplus goods. In reverse if you have shortages train could import goods.

Check my screenshots and comment your observations, I'm still not completely sure what's going on, but it's definitely not completely broken."

• 3Like
Reactions:
resource management in Cities: Skylines II is, unfortunately, affected by a few bugs at the moment.

Thank you for update.

May we expect that these problems will be addressed the way that will allow for long term benefit, instead of leaving them unfixed because it may break saves for existing cities or something?

• 8Like
Reactions:
Thank you for update.

May we expect that these problems will be addressed the way that will allow for long term benefit, instead of leaving them unfixed because it may break saves for existing cities or something?
They should absolutely be breaking any city at the minute for long term benefits. And i imagine they will be doing in the coming fixes

• 9Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone. I just wanted to pop in and shed some light on this situation as resource management in Cities: Skylines II is, unfortunately, affected by a few bugs at the moment. We are aware of this and currently investigating these issues:

• City services only trade with outside connections, even when storage companies in your city have the resources they need. They should of course be able to purchase the resources your city produces locally.
  • Harbors are mainly trading with your city’s storage companies, not other zoned buildings or city services. As you would expect, they should be able to trade with all zoned buildings and services, allowing your city to import and export through them.
  • We’re investigating reports that indicate the cargo terminal is affected by the same or an issue similar to the harbors.

It’s also worth noting that transportation distance affects costs. We expect that your businesses will prefer the closest storage facilities over a further away harbor/cargo terminal, however, that does not explain the reports we’re seeing.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your reports. The information you provide us is very valuable in narrowing down these issues, and should you encounter any other issues or unexpected behavior, please make sure to report them on our support forum. Response times are a little slow at the moment, but we are working our way through all of your reports and greatly appreciate them and your patience. Thank you.
Thank you very much for ur update! Glad to see it’s just a bug and not a game breaking feature. Really Appreciate the swift response.

• 10Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the insightfull update.

Is it possible also to make import and export more visible with raw stats how it is affecting economy in the budget panel. There are stats for water and electricity but there is nothing for actual 'goods'. Or is this intended behaviour and are we as mayors not really supposed to be involved directly in what companies do with their resources?

• 2Like
Reactions:
This adds a weird twist:

I'm not sure what to make of it - surely the "outside connections" infoview is fundamental to any import/export gameplay... and yet, the main means of showing which business are importing/exporting which goods "isn't part of the design". So what's the map legend actually FOR, then?

Maybe I'll get an answer, or maybe I'm just misreading what the legend is supposed to showo_O

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah this is a game breaker for me too, will put this aside until it's fixed unfortunately. Also because I assume once it is fixed, it's going to do very weird things to existing large cities since we have been missing a serious part of the infrastructure and supply chain system while building this whole time :/ Will just start fresh after a few patches I think..

• 8Like
Reactions:

Thanks a lot, this feedback is well appreciated. Keep on going and make the game the success it deserves to be.

• 7Like
Reactions: