• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dogalshield.png
Senator Cornaro,

I am speaking in the name of every member in the Consiglio, when I join you in your mourning. But worry not, the murder of your dear ones will not go unpunished, and your niece will be rescued.

Our best man, the Capitano Generale della Mar, Pietro Mocenigo, has been given orders to interrupt his campaign against the Turks, and proceed as quickly as possible to Famagusta, to abort this bloody coup, not only against Queen Caterina, but also against us.

Marcello2.gif
Nicolo Marcello, LXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1473.
69.jpg

dogalshield.png
Dear senators,

I am sorry we did not have more time to get to know each other. The highlight of my Dogeship was to have saved the Queen of Cyprus from a coup intended to steal Cyprus from us.

1474b.jpg

Our Capitano Generale della mar, Pietro Mocenigo extralimited himself a little bit in hanging several of the people involved without our consent, but since we think they deserved it, we will not hold it against him. In fact I recommend him as my substitute, in case I were to die unexpectedly.

Marcello2.gif
Nicolo Marcello, LXIX Dux Venetiarum. Nov. 1474.
69.jpg

Dear senators,

1474c.jpg

Thank you for chosing me as your new Doge. It is great that you are rewarding my services during the recent war against the Turk, and the troubles at Cyprus with a Dogeship. Regretfully, I am quite sick from malaria that I adquired when I liberated Scutari from the Turkish siege, when the armies of the sultan had it almost surrendered. I also might not last very long, so I will let Capitano Fodoroni speak of the recent developments in our war against the treacherous Sigismond of Tyrol.

My lords senators,

As I was afraid, the renewal of hostilities brought a direct involvement in the war by every country in the enemy alliance. Tirol was evacuated before the arrival of the German armies that intended to recover Innsbruck. The good news was that the armies of Sigismond abandoned the siege of Venice, no doubt discoraged by the stern defense that our noble senators presented.

1474.jpg

While Miozovni was still trying to take Zurich, Coglioni attempted the famous Heimlich maneuver: You take a country from the front and back simultaneously, and then squeeze hard until it spits a province. The maneuver was succesful at the nick of the time. Zurich fell when Innsbruck was about to be taken by the Germans. Our Doge graciously and quickly accepted the offer of Lombardia. We are victors once more. The only significant casualties were due to attrition in the Alps.

1475.jpg

Thanks Fodoroni. Only I could have done it better than you did. Now, if you allow me, Only one more subject to discuss, since today I am feeling particularly sick. I was able to prevent a boundary dispute with Palatinate, because we have no boundaries with Palatinate. The whole issue was confusing and it cost us some money, but everybody was real happy, so it was worth it.

1475b.jpg

PietroMocenigo.jpg

Mocenigo2.gif
Pietro Mocenigo, LXX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1463.
70.jpg

Oahh,

1476.jpg

If there is some sort of Doge plague I hope I will not catch it. Being from one of the "new" families, it was not easy getting elected. It cost me plenty of money. Good thing I am so rich. I also have lots of ideas. For example I have reorganized the taxation system in Negroponte (Ionia). The old one was not effective since the Turks killed everybody in the city. I still remember my old friend Paolo Erizzo, that accepted to surrender on the condition that they would not cut his head, and they kept their word, and sawed him in two. Anyway, no taxpayers no taxes, so we needed a new tax system.

1477.jpg

Well, I am disgressing. Taking advantage of the Fiorentin government fall that left Lorenzo il Magnifico, so affected that he looked like an idiot, I have asked Tuscany if they wanted to be incorporated into our empire. Lorenzo was not very coherent, so I interpreted it as a yes.

1477b.jpg

For some reason, the rest of the world, expecially Alfonso of Naples, are very upset with me for this.
We do even have a problem with Genoa. Our merchants are forbidden from working in the Genoese centers of trade.

1477c.jpg

I doubt Genoa would have dared to provoke us in such a way if they were not allied to Hungary and The Knights. I will order the secretary of external affairs to keep a close watch on the Genoese and to inform the senate of any new development. Right now, war against Genoa would mean a war on four fronts simultaneously, Italy, Dalmatia, the Islands and the Black Sea.

Vendramin2.gif
Andrea Vendramin, LXXI Dux Venetiarum. Apr. 1478.
71.jpg

Dear senators,

1478.jpg

Four Doges in five years. I suppose we are breaking some record. I know what you are thinking. I have been chosen just because I am great Pietro Mocenigo's little brother. Well, so what. When we are all dead, you will just be forgotten, while I will be remembered by strange people that will conect to each other to speak without voices and play mind games. I will be remembered because I will start a war in Italy, because that is exactly what I have in mind. In fact I have been talking to Pope Sixtus IV about what we should do with Ferrara. It is too bad that we don't have the money to improve our army.

1478b.jpg

Your most combative Doge from the Blue Party,

Mocenigo2.gif
Giovanni Mocenigo, LXXII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1478.
72.jpg

armes.gif

For the eyes of the members of the Council of Ten only, under death penalty for revealing this most secret information to anybody.

My lords,

After taking control of the government in Firenza under the most confusing circumstances, due to the incapacitation of Lorenzo il Magnifico de Medici, I was able to seize an important document from his library. Understanding the importance of such a document for our Serenissima Repubblica and the necessity of the utmost secrecy, I am sending it to you to be evaluated and discussed, to best direct the policies of our most Serene City.

The document is a map made by the famous cartographer and mapmaker Paolo Toscanelli. It is only four years old. I have every reason to suspect that this map or the information that it contains is already in the hands of the Kings of Portugal and Spain. I also include a detailed analysis of the map, made by the well known erudite, James Siebold.

The Rector of Firenza,
Agostino Malipiero.

1474Toscanellis.jpg

By J. Siebold:

TITLE: Toscanelli's World Map
DATE: 1474
AUTHOR: Paolo Toscanelli
DESCRIPTION: Long ago, Aristotle had said: "The regions round the Pillars of Hercules are in connection with the regions round India, and between them there is nothing but sea." Strabo believed that by sailing with an easterly wind in the western ocean one "could reach the Indies". About 120 A.D the Roman philosopher Favorinus wrote that the same ocean which the Greeks knew as the Atlantic Sea was known in East Asia as the Great Sea. Roger Bacon and Albertus Magnus put forward similar views in the 13th century. In the 1470s, Paolo Toscanelli (1397-1482), the Florentine physician and cosmo-grapher, was the earliest known medieval supporter of a westward voyage from Europe to the Far East to portray his theories cartographically. He contended that the Far East could be reached more directly by sailing west than by rounding the Cape of Good Hope and crossing the Indian Ocean. Toscanelli accepted Marco Polo's earliest claim of the elongated Asian continent.

One of his friends was Fernan Martinez de Roriz, a Portuguese canon who later became King Alfonso's confessor at the Court in Lisbon. It is probable that some time about the beginning of the 1470's, the canon had come to discuss geographical questions with the King, or with Crown Prince João, who was more interested in geography, and then happened to mention Toscanelli's theory about a passage to India across the ocean to the west. At that time the Portuguese believed that they had already reached the southern extremity of Africa, and that the way to the riches of India already lay open before them. But then came the disconcerting news that once past the Cameroons the coast again turned south. and continued to do so for mile upon mile; it seems almost as if all hope of ever being able to circumnavigate Africa was abandoned. It was in this situation that the King instructed his confessor to write to Toscanelli and ask him to explain his plans more clearly. Toscanelli answered at some length, enclosing a map of the sea which divided Europe from Asia. The following is a translation of this most important document in its entirety:

To Fernam Martins, Canon of Lisbon, Paulus the Physician [i.e. Toscanelli] sends greetings.
It pleased me to hear of your intimacy and friendship with your great and powerful King. Often before have I spoken of a sea route from here to India, the land of spices; a route which is shorter than that via Guinea. You tell me that His Highness wishes me to explain this in greater detail so that it will be easier to understand and to take this route. Although I could show this on a globe representing the earth. I have decided to do it more simply and clearly by demonstrating the way on a nautical chart. I therefore send His Majesty a chart. drawn by my own hand, on which I have indicated the western coastline from Ireland in the north to the end of Guinea, and the islands which lie along this path. Opposite them, directly to the west, I have indicated the beginning of India, together with the islands and places you will come to; how far you should keep from the Arctic Pole and the Equator; and how many leagues you must cover before you come to these places, which are most rich in all kinds of spices, gems and precious stones. And be not amazed when I say that spices grow in lands to the west, even though we usually say the east; for he who sails west will always find these lands in the west, and he who travels east by land will always find the same lands in the east.

The upright lines on this chart show the distance from east to west, whereas the cross lines show the distance from north to south. The chart also indicates various places in India which may be reached if one meets with a storm or head-wind, or any other misfortune.

That you may know as much about these places as possible, you should know that the only people living on any of these islands are merchants who trade there.

There are said to be as many ships, mariners and goods there as in the rest of the world put together. especially in the principal port called Zaiton [Marco Polo's Zaitum] where they load and unload a hundred great ships of pepper every year, not to mention many other ships with other spices. That country has many inhabitants, provinces, kingdoms and innumerable cities, all of which are ruled by a prince known as the Grand Khan, which in our language means 'The King of Kings', who mainly resides in the province of Cathay. His forefathers greatly desired to make contact with the Christian world, and some two hundred years ago they sent ambassadors to the Pope, asking him to send them many learned men who could instruct them in our faith; but these ambassadors met with difficulties on the way, and had to turn back without reaching Rome. In the days of Pope Eugenius, there came an ambassador to him, who told him of their great feelings of friendship for the Christians, and I had a long conversation with the ambassador about many things: about the vast size of the royal buildings, about the amazing length and breadth of their rivers, and about the great number of cities on their banks - so great a number that along one river there were two hundred cities with very long, wide bridges of marble which were adorned with many pillars. This country is richer than any other yet discovered, and not only could it provide great profit and many valuable things, but also possesses gold and silver and precious stones and all kinds of spices in large quantities - things which do not reach our countries at present. And there are also many scholars. philosophers, astronomers and other men skilled in the natural sciences, who govern that great kingdom and conduct its wars.

From the city of Lisbon to the west, the chart shows twenty-six sections, of two hundred and fifty miles each - altogether, nearly one-third of the earth's circumference before reaching the very large and magnificent city of Kinsai. This city is approximately one hundred miles in circumference, possesses ten marble bridges, and its name means 'The Heavenly City' in our language. Amazing things have been related about its vast buildings, its artistic treasures and its revenues. It lies in the province of Manji, near the province of Cathay, where the king chiefly resides. And from the island of Antillia, which you call the Island of the Seven Cities, to the very famous island of Cipangu are ten sections, that is 2,500 miles. That island is very rich in gold, pearls and precious stones, and its temples and palaces are covered in gold. But since the route to this place is not yet known, all these things remain hidden and secret; and yet one may go there in great safety.

I could still tell of 'many other things, but as I have already told you of them in person, and as you are a man of good judgement, I will dilate no further on the subject. I have tried to answer your questions as well as the lack of time and my work have permitted me, but I am always prepared to serve His Highness and answer his questions at greater length should he so wish.

Written in Florence on the 25th of June. 1474.

It is clear that Toscanelli obtained most of his information about "Furthest India" from Marco Polo's book, but he also mentions that an "ambassador'' visited Pope Eugenius. Poggio Bracciolini, the Papal Secretary who wrote about Nicolo Conti's travels in India, adds at the end of Conti's narrative: "There came a man from the northern parts of Upper India to the Pope, wishing, on the instructions of his Nestorian Patriarch, to learn of the Christians in the countries of the West. He told of the Grand Khan and of his dominion over nine powerful peoples." This man was probably the ambassador mentioned by Toscanelli, and we shall have to presume that Conti and other travellers who are unknown to us today gave Toscanelli further valuable information. Toscanelli probably based his very exaggerated idea of the size of the world on what Marinus of Tyre had said; this was later to have some very remarkable consequences, for Christopher Columbus corresponded with Toscanelli during this time. He sent Columbus an encouraging reply along with a copy of a letter and map that he had prepared at the request of Afonso, King of Portugal, outlining his ideas. The map by Toscanelli depicted the intervening ocean which Pierre d'Ailly described in his Imago Mundi as "the sea is little between the farthest bound of Spain from the east and the nearest of India from the west" and that "this sea is navigable in a few days if the wind is favorable". Toscanelli sent the letter and maps (or charts) to the King of Portugal in 1474 and to Columbus before 1481. These documents deeply affected the course of Columbus's life and the history of the world. Although Toscanelli's letter has survived, his historic map was lost; but the map can be reconstructed from the text of his letter and from two surviving cartographic works embodying his ideas. These are the 1490 world map of Henricus Martellus and the 1492 Nuremberg globe of Martin Behaim, the only two extant non-Ptolemaic world maps of the 15th century to be graduated in latitude and longitude and so to convey a precise estimate of the width of the ocean between westernmost Europe and easternmost Asia.

1489Martellus.jpg

1490 Henricus Martellus world map.

1492Behaim.jpg

1492 Martin Benhaim Globe

To Toscanelli the goal was Marco Polo's Cathay [China], and within the intervening ocean he was aware of no considerable land other than the two large islands of Antillia and Cipangu [Japan]. The former is only on the Martellus map of 1490, while both islands are shown on the Behaim globe. The scholar G.R. Crone suggests that the belief that the east could be reached by the west was being reconsidered in geographical circles before the second half of the 15th century, possibly in the 14th.

Taking his departure from a port of the Iberian Peninsula and sailing down into the zone of the northeasterly trade winds, according to Toscanelli a navigator could then lay a course west or southwest on which he would find Antillia lying across his bows. These were in fact the courses set by Columbus in the late summer of 1492, and Antillia was the first land which he expected to sight on his westward passage from the Canaries, based upon the Toscanelli's reference in his letter to Columbus to "the island of Antillia which is known to you", in the latitude of Cipangu. A mapmaker who thought in terms of a globe could locate Antillia somewhat further west than might be suggested by an ungraduated mappamundi or portolan chart in which it was drawn at the left-hand edge of the parchment. Toscanelli (as he told Columbus) supposed Antillia to lie 35 degrees west of his prime meridian through the Canaries; and it is in just this longitude, a little north of the equator, that Martin Behaim lays down, in his globe of 1492, the Island of St. Brendan, with an outline very like that of Antillia in the 15th century charts and in the Vinland map. Behaim gives it the name Insula de sant brandan. This apparent association of Antillia and St. Brendan in Behaim's mind echoes that in the Vinland mapWe must note, however, that the globe also shows Antillia, as a triangular island lying on the Tropic of Cancer (thus nearly due west of the Canaries) and about 10 degrees east of his St. Brendan's Island. This concept is not, in substance, different from that expressed in the relevant part of the Vinland map and there copied from a model similar to Bianco's world map of 1436 in which the design is compressed within the limits of the available space at the extreme left of the vellum sheet. Columbus made copious notes on all reports of land or islands in the west that came to his notice, and those were gathered together in the biography by his son Fernando. All the evidence which he could collect indicated that both his objective and the best route thither lay in tropical latitudes. Like Toscanelli, he took Antillia to lie on or near the Tropic of Cancer; and if (as we suppose) the world maps he consulted included ones like those by Henricus Martellus in 1489 and 1490, which reflects Toscanelli's views, he could see that a course along the same parallel would bring him to Cipangu and to Mangi, the "cape of Asia". Toscanelli allowed 85 degrees of longitude between the Canaries and Cipangu, Martellus indicated 90 degrees and Behaim showed 110 degrees on his globe.

Note of Fodoroni: Obviously it was well hidden by the Council of Ten :D

REFERENCES:
Brown, L.A., The Story of Maps, p. 155.
*Hapgood, C.H., Maps of Ancient Sea Kings, p. 50.
*Landström, B., Bold Voyages and Great Explorers, pp. 200-205.
Nebenzahl, K., Atlas of Columbus, pp. 2, 15, 19, 61.
Skelton, R.A., The Vinland Map and the Tartar Relation, p. 154-155, 234, 237.
*Woodward, D., "Maps and the Relationship of Geographic Space", Circa 1492, pp. 83-87.
* illustrated

Last edited:
dogalshield.png
Noble Consiglio,

As was the decision of the wise senators of this chamber, this has been a very pacific period indeed. And not only for us, but also for our neighbours. Our merchants inform of the usual wars between German principalities in the North, while Spain is proceeding with her crusade against the infidel in the Iberian peninsula, and Poland, Russia and Sweden appear to fight each other on, off and on again.

We expend our money from commerce in rebuilding our reduced armies in preparation for our next inevitable war against the Turk, while we improve our relationship with Naples, quite damaged after the attempt by Ferrante of seizing Cyprus. Actually I must say that our ambassador in Napoli has made a mistake with the names of the kings of Naples. Apparently and for unknown reasons, the Trastamara are not ruling Naples, and the King of Naples is now some Renatus II of Anjou. But since I am old, and not too good at learning new names, I will keep calling him Ferrante, and his son will still be Alfonso, Duke of Calabria, of whom Venice has so bad memories.

Despite having most European CoTs (except Liguria) with 5 merchants, our merchants feel unhappy. The more you give them the more they complain.

1480.jpg

Being soft with the merchants, only brought us problems with the nobles, that requested an increase in their pensions. We had to concede it, despite having to take a loan, because the loan interest, 14D x 5 years = 70D, gives us 270D total, while 2 hits in stability are worth 1498D.

1481.jpg

But our conciliatory policies towards the two main classes of our society had a very positive reward. First we had an exceptional year in 1482.

1482.jpg

And then our good government policies were recognized.

1483.jpg

Notice to senators: For reason of the September 14, 1483 fire that has almost completely destroyed the Ducal palace with many of the works of art that it contained, all the meetings of the Consiglio will be held at the Arsenal until the palace is restored. The rebuilding project of Antonio Rizzo, from Verona has been aproved since it does involve only a reconstruction of the wing that was destroyed, rather than a whole new expensive palace.

Now you will say: Where is that combative Blue Party Doge that was going to declare war to Ferrara with the support of the Pope? As always I have been following the instructions of the Senate, yet I keep the hope that the recent developments in the Ottoman Empire will make the senators change their minds.

In 1481, Mehmet II, the arch-nemesis of Christendom died, and as usual between those barbarians, his sons were left to fight for the sultanate. Bayezid II spent a couple of years fighting his brother Cem, but after defeating him and forcing him to take refuge in Rhodes, he has started to conquer the rest of the world, as his Osmanli blood demands. He recently annexionated Ramazan, incorporating three new provinces to the Ottoman Empire. Which gives us a temporary casus belli against him until April 1485.

Mocenigo2.gif
Giovanni Mocenigo, LXXII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1483.
72.jpg

Last edited:
Note on Venetian history during this period.

The war of Ferrara, 1481-1484

1. Antecedents

After the fall of Constantinople the Turkish advance was steadily continued both south and east. Athens surrendered to the Turks in 1457; so did Sinope and Trebizond; and the loss of the Morea in 1462 brought them into immediate collision with the Republic. Venice perfectly understood that a struggle for her possessions in the Levant was inevitable sooner or later; she therefore gladly embraced Pope Pius II's proposals for a crusade. But the lamentable failure of the undertaking, and the Pope's death at Ancona, left the Republic to carry on, single-handed, a war she had undertaken on the promise and in the expectation of European support. Antonio Michiel, a Venetian merchant resident in Constantinople, had warned his government, in 1466, that the Sultan was mustering large forces. "I take it the fleet will number two hundred sail," he says, "and every one here thinks Negroponte its object." He continues in a note of serious warning that matters must not be treated lightly to the deceiving of themselves. The Turk has a way of exaggerating the enemy's strength and arming regardless of expense. Venice had better do the same. This was in 1466; three years later the blow was ready to fall, and again Venice received warning through another merchant, Piero Dolfino, resident in Chios. Let the government, he wrote, fortify its places in the Levant and lose no time about it; " on this depends the safety of the State, for Negroponte once lost the rest of the Levant is in peril."

The prophecy of Doge Tommaso Mocenigo finally was going to be fulfilled. Venice, exhausted by the drain of the land wars against Visconti, was unwilling to face another and more terrible campaign by sea unless she was forced to do so. She endeavoured to open negotiations at Constantinople on the pretext that she was acting in the name of Hungary. But in 1470 Negroponte fell. The War had already cost considerably over a million ducats, and the government was reduced to suspending either two-thirds or a half of all official salaries which were over twenty-five ducats per annum. In spite of this she rejected, as extravagant, terms of peace offered her in 1476; and faced the struggle once more. Scutari was attacked by the Sultan in person, who, in his determination to enter the town, blew besieged and besiegers alike to pieces before his siege guns. But the Republic could not hold out for ever unaided; Scutari was at the last extremity; a large army was rumoured to be on its way to attack Friuli. Venice was forced to recognise the facts, and in 1479 she proposed terms of peace. Scutari, and all Venetian possessions in the Morea were ceded to the Turk. Venice agreed to pay ten thousand ducats a year for the privileges of trading, and one hundred thousand in two years, as a war indemnity; and received permission to keep an Agent (Bailo) in Constantinople.

The Peace of 1479 marks an epoch in the history of Venetian relations with the East, and indicates a return to her original policy of peaceable dealings, whenever possible, with the Turk.

In truth, the Republic had every reason to complain of the conduct of Europe. After sixteen years of continuous warfare, which she had undertaken on the strength of European promises, Venice concluded a ruinous peace, by which she lost a part of her Levantine possessions and was reduced to the position of a tributary. Yet instantly all Europe criticised her for her perfidy to the Christian faith, and the princes of Italy professed to believe that Venice had abandoned the Turkish War, merely in order to devote herself to the extension of her power on the mainland. Had she received any support from Europe or Italy, she would never have closed the War with such a balance against herself. In truth the Republic was too exhausted to continue the struggle. It was not her fault that, the year after the conclusion of the Peace, Italy and all Europe were alarmed by the news that the Turks had seized Otranto. This was the inevitable result of the withdrawal of Venice from the struggle,-a withdrawal in its turn due to lack of any support from Italy or Europe. When invited by the Pope to join an Italian league against the Turk, Venice, mindful of the results which had followed on her acceptance of the last papal invitation, replied that she had made peace with the Sultan, and confirmed the suspicion that she was in secret understanding with the Turk. Her next step emphasised the further suspicion that her object in coming to terms with the Turk had been to allow herself a free hand to extend in Italy.

sixtusIV.jpg

Pope Sixtus IV, Francesco della Rovera with four of his "nephews". The one on his knees is not a family member. The second from the left in blue is Girolamo Riario, who was involved in the Pazzi conspiration that almost killed Lorenzo de Medici, and now was going to be at the center of the war of Ferrara. He wanted to be a prince, but was a terrible army commander. Cardinal Giuliano della Rovera is second from the right.
-------------------​

Venice always tried to off-set the loses with new gains. The rise of the Ottomans ment a double reduction in oriental trade income. Firstly because Venice was losing her colonies to the Turks, some of them very profitable, and secondly because they were never capable of obtaining the good trade conditions that they had previously enjoyed. While the spice trade through Cairo was still very important, the Black Sea trade became less and less profitable, even with the expulsion of the Genoese from Jaffa. Little by little Venice was coming to depend more and more from her recently acquired Terra Ferma possessions. After her painful defeat by the Ottomans, Venice needed both reassurance and gains. Her small southern neighbour, Ercole d'Este, could not have chosen a worse moment to start provoking the winged lion.

2. The war of Ferrara.

In 1481 the Signoria ordered the attack on the Duchy of Ferrara on the ground that the Duke Ercole was infringing a Venetian monopoly, eight centuries old, by the erection of salt-pans at the mouth of the Po. Ercole d'Este, Duke (previously Marquis) of Ferrara had felt a lot more secure in crossing his long-time friends, the Venetians, because he had the support of his father-in-law Ferrante of Naples and had dared also to push some boundaries issues with Venice. Ferrante was Venice enemy, and the Signoria was worried that her neighbour and former ally Ferrara was falling into his arms. Only this time Venice was encouraged and supported by Pope Sixtus IV (the builder of the Sixtine Chapel), who wanted Ferrara for his nephew Girolamo Riario. Pope Sixtus IV, Francesco della Rovera, was one of the most nepotist popes in history. He had several nephews, some of them it is said were his true image. But the desires of the Pope and Venice would not go unchallenged. As part of the territory of Ferrara lay between the Venetian frontier and Ravenna, the rest of Italy thought that Venice desired to unite her possessions in that direction by the acquisition of Ferrara. Immediately, Galeazzo Sforza, Duke of Milan, Lorenzo de Medici, lord of Firenza, and Ferrante I, King of Naples, came in support of Ercole d'Este, Duke of Ferrara, against Venice and the Pope. The war was popular with the Venetians at first, trying to shake off the recent defeat against the Ottoman Empire. The Venetian army and the papal forces under command of Roberto Malatesta routed the Neapolitan army of Ferrante's son Alfonso II, Duke of Calabria at Campo Morto in August 1482.

malatesta.jpg

Roberto Malatesta, Lord of Rimini at his wedding with Elisabetta da Montefeltro in 1475
-------------------​

But Malatesta died soon after the victory, and the Pope started having the worse part against Naples in the South, while Venice happily continued her conquests in the North. Sixtus was then convinced by his nephew, the cardinal Giuliano della Rovera, to make peace with Ferrante because the war was only beneficial to Venice. The incident of Otranto had convinced everybody that Venice was in collusion with the Turks, and the Republic was generally despised for her success of the last decades in Italy, and her cold, mercantilistic character. The Pope asked the successful Venetians to stop the war and return everything they had conquered, and when they refused he placed an interdict on the Serenissima. The interdict forbade any Christian ceremony and sacrament, but did not separate the interdicted from the Christian community as the excommunication. The Venetians ignored the interdiction and the Pope joined Naples, Florence, Milan, Padua and Ferrara in attacking Venice. Although the war entered a positional campaign with no big battles, it started to be a heavy burden on Venice, now under direct attack and with the Terra Ferma being ravaged by Alfonso and Ercole. To try to drive Alfonso out, the Venetian fleet took the Apulian port of Gallipoli at heavy cost. The strain on both treasury and private purses soon became insupportable, and no success crowned the Venetian arms. The distressed condition of the Republic is described by Malipiero. Payment of the interest on the funds was partially suspended; the shops on the Rialto were mortgaged; private plate, and jewellery compulsorily called in; salaries cut down. The revenue from the mainland was falling off. The arsenal was nearly empty. Famine and plague were at the door. " We shall be forced to sue for peace and restore all we have gained."

Polesine.jpg

The city of Rovigo and the Polesine, marked in red. Not much to justify 3 years of all-out war and a lot of resentment for the future.
-------------------​

Malipiero was partially right. Venice was forced to sue for peace, but not till she had taken the ruinous step (which other Italian princes took before and after her) of suggesting to the French that they should make good their claims on certain Italian provinces, -Charles VIII his claim on Naples, the Duke of Orleans his claims on Milan. But two factors were to play in Venice advantage. Ferrara and Florence were even more exhausted by the war, and Ludovico il Moro and Alfonso, Duke of Calabria, were at odds, because Alfonso's daughter Isabella was engaged to the legitimate Duke of Milan, Gian Galeazzo, and both Ludovico and Alfonso wanted to take control of the Duchy. Venice diplomacy was successful in attracting Ludovico first and convincing Alfonso later, with the result that peace was concluded at Bagnolo in 1484. The small states, Mantua, Ferrara and Parma paid the bill, and were stripped of their conquests. Ercole was forced to cede to Venice the city of Rovigo and the Polesine, a small adjacent area in the Po, while Venice returned Gallipoli to Naples. The Pope was outraged that the peace was so favorable to Venice, while ignoring his nephew's aspirations, but he died, expediting the way for the peace.

1484conquests.jpg

The territorial gains of Venice in the XIII to XV centuries. The expansion was over.
-------------------​

But the invitations to the King of France and the Duke of Orleans from Venice, and later from the shaky Ludovico of Milan, and from the Pope and Naples to the Kings of Spain, and the Emperor, were to prove fatal to all Italian princes, as events were soon to demonstrate. The five Great Powers of Italy, Venice, Milan, Florence, the Pope and Naples, were able to hold their own against each other, but the moment the more potent ultramontane sovereigns appeared upon the scene, nominally in support of one or other of the Italian States, really in pursuit of their own aggrandisement, the balance was irretrievably upset. More damming for Venice was that she had extracted the wrong lesson from the war of Ferrara. The truth was that militarily she had failed, and diplomatically she was hated by all the rest of Italians, and everyone of them would be happy to see her fall, wether to the Turk or to the King of France or even the Emperor. But to her own eyes, she had stood against all Italy and prevailed. Instead of learning that militarily she had everything to lose and nothing to gain, Venice was to engage in more territorial expansions in Italy, putting herself in mortal danger.

Final note: Toio made an event reflecting this war for AGCEEP, but obviously it requires the existence of the main players, and both Milan and Tuscany are now gone.

armes.gif
Report on the 1484-1486 war against Papal States.

The declaration of war by Papal States to Naples in January caught us with most of our forces in our Greek provinces, but since the Ottomans are at war against Moldavia, I don't foresee problems there. Carlec, on command of 6,000 Stradioti in Thrace boarded the seven galleys of King of Minors and they were ordered to proceed to Marche, where they were to meet the 12,000 cavalry of Hastu Neon, descending from Milan. Roberto Sanseverino with 8,000 infantry and 6,000 Stradioti in Macedonia boarded the 16 galleys of Pascal Barbarigo proceeding to the Gulf of Taranto, where they were to meet the main squadron of 20 galleys under command of Arturo Gandolfi coming from the lower Adriatic.

Gandolfi was the first to engage the enemy in February, and in the first battle at the Gulf of Tarento he sunk 1 galley and 7 transports, and in a second one he sunk 2 warships and 1 transport, completely destroying the Papal navy without losing a single ship, so when Barbarigo arrived in April, Roberto Sanseverino could disembark unmolested.

Meanwhile everybody was reinforcing their armies. We raised 10,000 men in Veneto, and the same number were recruited in Rome by the Pope. Ferrante armed 5,000 men, too little too late.

Since the death of Malatesta, Rome had been unable to secure the services of a condottiero of note. Francesco Gonzaga had rejected Sixtus offer, and the Pope has placed his nephew, Girolamo Riario, on command of the 31,000 Papal forces that invaded Naples. Hastu Neon in Marche had orders of waiting for the reinforcements of Carlec, despite Rome being almost unguarded. The peasants that Ferrante had quickly assembled did not withstand the Papal armies, and Alfonso, the Duke of Calabria, was captured. The sieges of Naples and Taranto were established at about the same time, and the fleets of Barbarigo and Gandolfi took turns to bring supplies from Corfu to maintain a constant blockade.

1484b.jpg

Hastu Neon was impatient. He had now 23,000 cavalry ready to rescue Naples or to conquer Rome, yet the provedittores were receiving orders from the Signoria prohibiting the army to march into Rome or to help Naples.

Hastu did not know it, but the Signoria had decided already the fate of Ferrante. He was an unreliable ally, despised by his own subjects. The peaceful annexation of Naples was expensive and likely to further upset the rest of the nations, while the recovery of Naples from the hands of the Pope would be seeing as a defensive movement, since Sixtus IV had started the war. Besides, there was always the risk that the King of Aragon would want to make good his claim on Naples, since the kings of Naples are a bastard branch of the Trastamara of Aragon. The disappearance of the Kingdom of Naples at the hands of the Pope was seeing as desirable by Venice. Rome was to be left alone to avoid a failure of the siege of Naples if Girolamo decided to run into the help of his uncle. This is the cold nature of the Serenissima Repubblica, always keeping her own interest as the main priority.

But the Republic of Venice had her own problems. Taking advantage of the war, several colonies were demanding old rights. In the middle of a war is not a good time to lose stability, but centralization was considered the only priority domestic policy by the senate, so Doge Giovanni Mocenigo even refused to receive the delegates, knowing too well that showing signs of weakness was very dangerous. The delegates were understandably angry, but it was a clear message to the other cities.

1484c.jpg

The dead of Sixtus IV could have meant the end of the war. In fact a Venetian cardinal, Marco Bembo, was 5 votes short of being elected, but Giovanni della Rovere, nephew of Sixtus IV, found an agreement with his rival Rodrigo Borgia and they chose a puppet Pope, the Genoese Giovanni Battista Cybo. The new Pope, Innocentius VIII, was therefore easy to convince to continue the war.

It was on April 1485, that finally Taranto surrendered to Roberto Sanseverin. We only had to wait for one month before Naples fell. Innocentius VIII decreed the annexation of Naples and the 64 years old Ferrante and his son Alfonso were exiled to Sicily. But Girolamo Riario made a tactical blunder. He sent half of his forces to defend Rome, while he went to attempt the recovery of Taranto with the other half.

1485.jpg

Hastu Neon, reinforced with the 6,000 stradioti of Carlec, and 5,000 cavalry from Veneto, had under his command 23,000 cavalry. He received orders to march over Rome, where he arrived ahead of the Papal forces and quickly dispersed the 1,300 papal guards that he found there. When the 12,000 men Papal army arrived to Rome, Neon had taken on a small hill waiting for them. He sent Carlec with the Stradioti to attack and confuse the Papal forces with their usual charges and retreats followed by counter-charges tactics. When Neon saw that the enemy forces had lost cohesion, he charged downhill with the rest of the cavalry and the Papal army, badly commanded by Luigi Colonna, quickly dissolved.

Roberto Sanseverin also repelled the attack from Girolamo and his superior forces, 19,000 to Sanseverin 15,000, and then followed Girolamo to Naples, defeating him again. Girolamo took refuge in Apulia, with insufficient forces to retake Taranto, and when he tried to force the siege of Naples, the last Papal army was destroyed. On a curious note, we received an invitation by the Grand Master of Rhodes to join their alliance with Hungary and Genoa. Clearly he must be senile to ignore the hatred that Hungary profess us, or our own hatred of Genoa.

1485b.jpg

Without Papal forces the war was basically over, with only the sieges of Naples and Rome to complete, but then politics were going to alter the picture drastically. First Innocentius VIII was able to convince Joao II of Portugal to join him in alliance and declare war to us. Joao is already at war with the Catholic Kings of Spain, and is therefore unlikely to send forces to help the Pope, but the implications of being at war with Portugal, and the opportunity to hit a trade rival do not escape the Signoria.

1485c.jpg

Then a new wave of pestilence killed Doge Giovanni Mocenigo. Marco Barbarigo, a kind and indecisive man, was chosen as his successor.

1485d.jpg

It is not surprising, given the nature of Marco Barbarigo, that he was to have problems with the nobility. Taddeo Michiel was a powerful noble with important possessions in Morea. A religious zealot, he was distressed by the war against the Pope, and he entered into a conspiration to depose Marco Barbarigo and take control of the Signoria to end the war. A denounce to the Council of Ten allowed to abort the conspiration. He was found guilty, but pleaded forgiveness. Marco Barbarigo was inclined to grant it, but the rest of the senators in the Consiglio were adamant. Centralization was still a priority, and only the fear of widespread revolts in the middle of the war prevented the confiscation of his states. Taddeo Michiel was beheaded between the two columns of the St. Mark square.

1485e.jpg

In January 1486, after two years of war, Rome surrendered to the generous terms of Hastu Neon, avoiding the customary three days of plunder. Genoa, afraid to be the next in our series of triumphs, cancelled the trade embargo.

1486.jpg

Papal States was down to his knees, the Pope offering us Apulia and great sums to stop the war. Somehow, Constantine Kastrioti of Albania, despite having no army and being under siege from his own angry subjects at his fortress in Kruja, must have thought that it was a good idea to declare war to Innocentius VIII and Joao II of Portugal. Who knows what is inside the head of these absolute monarchs. But, since the only reason for keeping our vassal Albania out of our alliance was so they were not at war with Papal States and Portugal, the Doge asked Constantine in, and he gladly accepted. I sincerely have no idea of what his war plans could be.

1486b.jpg

A bold plan had been devised by the Navy Command. The availability of Hastu Neon's forces after the fall of Rome, allowed to put it in practice. Gabrielle Mocenigo, on command of all of our warships and transports was to transport Hastu's cavalry to Portuguese coasts. If he found the opportunity, he was to disembark them and return. Hastu Neon, who had volunteered for this dangerous mission, was ordered to proceed directly to Lisbon and conquer her. After that he was to follow his own initiative according to the situation. The war between Spain and Portugal was seeing as an opportunity to carry out this plan.

1486c.jpg

Berg, a little inland country near the Low Countries entered the war on the side of the Pope and Portugal, but that was seeing as of no consequence by the Signoria. On June, Naples finally surrendered. Innocentius offered Napoli and Apulia, but the Signoria wanted more. A separate proposal was made to the Pope, asking him not only to surrender Napoli and Apulia, but also to become our tributary. He rejected it, but a month later he had become more willing and accepted.

1486d.jpg

Marco Barbarigo had no time to enjoy his triumph, a few days later he died. He was substituted by Agostino Barbarigo. It was the first time that the rule of no two consecutive doges from the same family was broken, because he was Marco's brother. But it was more a consequence of infighting between noble families that he was elected.

1486e.jpg

Meanwhile the expedition of Gabrielle Mocenigo, that had departed Pisa in May, quickly turned into a complete disaster when they arrived to the Portuguese costs in September. The Signoria had tried to secure military access through Spain several times but the neutral relationships with the Catholic Kings, and the expense of gifts (Personal gift 88D), and lack of diplomats, forced Mocenigo to try to break through the naval defenses of Portugal. And it proved impossible. After six naval battles in the Straight of Gibraltar, the Gulf of Cadiz and the Lusitanian Sea, that Mocenigo refused to engage following orders, the mounting attrition and the loss of ships, forced the return of the fleet, that would arrive in March 1487, having lost all 7 warships, 2 transports and 10,000 men from dysentery and fevers. The loses amounted to 623 ducats, but the Signoria considered it only as a first assault, and while licking her wounds, was able to obtain a white peace with Joao, despite the defeat, because he was now at war also with Morocco, Granada, Tlemcen and Tunisia, and clearly did not need more enemies.

In contrast with the expedition to Lisbon, the rest of the war was won easily. Barely 5,000 men and no galleys were lost, while we eliminated all 32,000 Papal men and the entire Papal fleet. Our ally, Constantine Kastrioti remains at war with the Papal States and Portugal, but we do not consider them to be at danger, even if Albania has become perpetually occupied by an army of rebels of insufficient size to conquer Kruja.

Signed at Rome, July 1487.
Fodoroni, Capitano Generale of the Venetian army.

dogalshield.png
Dear senators in this secret meeting of the Council of Ten,

As we agreed, the situation in Cyprus requires our immediate action. Queen Caterina of Cyprus, our "Daughter of St. Mark" has become more and more resilient to our policies in the island. She claims to govern for the people of the island, and she is actually very much beloved by them. There is also a new attempt by the hostile cypriot nobles to marry her to Alonso, illegitimate son of Ferrante, former ruler of Naples, and she might be entertaining such overtures. At her age of 35, there is the danger that she could still have a heir. Also we have received embassy from al-Ashraf Qa'itbay of the Mameluks, suzerain of Cyprus, indicating that Bayezid II, sultan of the Turks, might be planning an expedition to Cyprus as part of his wars with the Mameluks. He has urged us to take defensive measures. Given our good relationships due to our mutually beneficial spice trade, our ambassador in Cairo has been able to obtain permission from the Bey for the incorporation of Cyprus to the Venetian Republic.

I have commissioned Caterina's brother, senator Giorgio Cornaro, to the island to convince her to cede her rights to the kingdom of Cyprus to Venice. We are the owners of the island in all but name and we cannot afford to lose her. I have promised Giorgio great rewards if successful, including making him Cavalier and Procurator of St. Mark. He is aware of the importance of his mission for Venice.

I have also instructed him to offer Caterina a very generous stipend and big states in Asolo to support her and her court until the last day of her life. But I have also instructed young Cornaro to threaten her if necessary. One important condition is that she should never marry and have any children.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1488.
74.jpg

February 1487. somewhere in Western Mediterranean.

The fleet was moving fast despite the storms. It was no more the mighty armada, which departed from Pisa 9 months ago. The losses encountered during the numerous battles lost against the fast and well-trained Portuguese ships had hit dramatically the morale of the men. Cristoforo Moro's plans seemed originally straightforward: conducting a quick and brave raid into Lisbon to steal the enemy's precious maps showing their important discoveries in the Ocean. But Cristoforo, nephew of a former Doge and now commander in chief of the land forces dedicated to the raid, hadn't had never the opportunity to see the Portuguese capital. Instead, now was seeing his men dying one after the other for dissentery...

His character was strong and ambitious. Someone still remembers his bravery, actually neighbouring with madness, as when he proposed to leave Thessalonica with his men to face the Turks in Smyrna. After his successes in the war against the Infidels, he retired for a while from political and military activity, enjoying his splendid Greek wife who had given him is male heir, named Cristoforo, too ...

But that day, just after dawn his assistant entered his room on the admiral navy and found him without life. He hadn't stood his sense of guiltness for the unsuccessful mission. He left alone his wife and his young heir, Othello. The Senate, tributing him solemn State funerals, gave them for their future subsistance the fiefdom of Othello in Cyprus, just outside Famagusta... Othello, Moro (Moor) ... strange suggestions, we'll encounter again this names in a near future...

Cornaro_G.gif

February 1489.

My fellow Senators, my cousin Giorgio, also of course a Senator, wishes to address you. As you know from the report of the Doge, he was recently sent to speak to his sister, my cousin, Queen Caterina Cornaro. Please, my cousin, address us with your news.

Thank you cousin. The recent news of your father Carlo's death saddens my heart as he was as critical to the outcome of my news as any. You may remember his sailing to Cyprus with the early news of my sister's marriage, but. . .ah, those were many years ago now.

Assembled Senators, keepers of the glory of the Repulic, I return from Cyprus with great news. I, Senator Giorgio Cornaro, brother of Queen Caterina Cornaro, report that after months of refusals, I have finally obtained from Caterina the abdication of her Kingdom of Cyprus in the hands of Venice.

When I arrived at Cyprus after an easy sail, I immediatly requested an audience with my sister. She has, as you know, been under tremendous strain these past years from some local nobles who are pushing the crazy idea of her marrying Alonso, illegitimate son of Ferrante, former ruler of Naples. And the threats from Bayezid II, sultan of the Turks are very real. I found her in serious doubts as to what to do.

We met in the palace of Famagusta and with her handmaidens, the court held a clear oriental air. After several kind and pleasant words, I could see that she was overwhelmed by the situation and felt pressed to, um, make my position very clear to her. So, I dramatically opened the window to her chambers and showed her, reminded her that the flag of Venice waves in the garrison fort that protects the city, and in the galleys that protect the port. I had no reluctance to remind her that if she did see the wisdom in my actions, plans that her father had considered long ago, that our dear departed uncle had given his life for, that if she did not abdicate to Venice, then the Venetian protection would be retired, and in a few months the island will be invaded by the Turks or the Mameluks that dispute her ownership, bringing great suffering to the people she claims to love so much.

1489CornaroHayez.jpg

My sister wept great tears. Poor, desperate Caterina, brought to the island almost a child, who had seen her husband and baby die, that saw her chamberlain, her physician, her uncle and her cousin murdered in the several plots from the cypriot nobility against her rule that she had to suffer, had clearly reached the limit of her endurance. The threat of abandonment by the only ones that have protected her and the cypriot population was the last straw, and she finally relented to give up her country to the severe parents of the "Daughter of St. Mark."

She did pause for a moment and spoke trembling to me "Are not my lords of Venice content to have their island when I am dead, that they would deprive me thus soon of what my husband left me?" I, of course, comforted her and reminded her that we were not actually "depriving" her of anything, but rather finalizing the connection that the Cornaro family had begun long before she and I were born. I reminded her that the greatness of our Republic overshadowed any of our individual lives. She nodded silently, though with tears streaming down her face.

My dear sister, the Queen of Cyprus has embarked in a Venetian fleet and that should arrive in Venice promptly where she will abdicate the crown of Cyprus into the Signoria of Venice, represented by its Doge, at the Basilic of St. Mark. I trust that all of you will attend and show her the proper respect that she deserves.

Giorgio Cornaro

dogalshield.png
Dear citizens of Venice,

On this most joyous day, we celebrate the arrival of our very dear Caterina Cornaro, Daughter of St. Mark. The Queen of Cyprus has come to bestow her Crown and her Kingdom into the able hands of the Signoria.

barbarigo.jpg

Caterina, escorted by her brother, senator Giorgio Cornaro, arrived two days ago to San Nicolò di Lido at the fringe of the Lagoon. Yesterday, and despite an awful sea that for two hours prevented our landing, I went to look for her on board of the Bucintoro.

Under a black sky and troubled waters that wetted the Piazzeta St. Mark, Caterina disembarked in Venice, to a triumphant welcome by all the citizens.

cornarovassillacchi.jpg

"The Disembarkation of Catherine Cornaro in Venice", by Milos-born Antonion Vassilacchi (aka Aliense, 1556-1629), who was a contemporary of El Greco, and lived in Venice for most of his life.
-------------------​

Suddenly all the clouds disappeared, the sun shined in full explendor and a parade was organized. Caterina is first setting foot on her birthplace since 1472, seventeen years ago, when she left to marry the King of Cyprus. The parade begins with two noblemen escorting Venice's banner followed by six trumpeters and four drummers. Then a second group marches past: eight noblemen, each carrying one of the flags of St. Mark's used in processions and "Cortèges" since 1177 when Pope Alexander III gave them to Venice as a sign of its acknowledged power and authority. The ten senators of the Deci precede the Doge himself, wearing a tunic with an ample red and gold cloak and the "Corno ducale". Two footmen follow him carrying his mantle and rapier holder.

moderndoge.jpg

Doge Agostino Barbarigo had the happiest day of his life, and took full credit for the adquisition of Cyprus. Now tell me he is not exactly the same guy as in the first picture.
-------------------​

Four oriental ambassadors (Syrian, Persian, Egyptian and Turkish) and eight handmaidens escort Caterina Cornaro, Queen of Cyprus, who sits on a sedanchair help up by eight Moorish slaves.

modernCornaro.jpg

Am I the only one finding the moors suspicious? Somehow I am under the impression that some spies have found their way into our city.
-------------------​

The Cypryan delegation of six men march alongside the sovereign who willingly is giving up her reign. The procession ends with a Capitano da Mar commanding a platoon of armed Schiavoni (slavonians).

ModernCornaro2.jpg

The procession goes to the Basilik of St. Mark, where Caterina officially cedes her rights to Cyprus by bestowing her Crown to the Signoria, represented by me, Agostino Barbarigo. This is a personal triumph that will set my name in the history of Venice with golden letters.

cornarodonation.jpg

This bassrelief is part of the funerary monument of Caterina Cornaro in the church of San Salvatore.
-------------------​

After the ceremony, our Daughter of St. Mark leaves for one of her family palaces, known from this day as Ca' Corner della Regina. Three days of lavish celebrations, full of banquets and dances have been decreed. On the course of them, senator Giorgio Cornaro will be invested Cavalier of St. Mark.

ModernCornaro3.jpg

Here you can also see the handmaidens, the four ambassadors, the capitano della mare and the armed Schiavoni, coming out of the St. Mark basilic.
-------------------​

Caterina received an annual estipend of 8,000 ducats, and the lordship of the villa of Asolo in the Alps, where she lived happily ever after, until the day an evil emperor invaded Venice, helped by two evil kings and an evil Pope. But that is another story.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Feb. 1489.
74.jpg

Dear Senators,

Several of you expressed an interest in including more of the real history of Venice in our AAR. Since we are departing so much from the real Venice, I have written and collected several articles on the history and the political organization of Venice. They will be on a different font and color, so those of you that are not really interested in these subjects can easily skip them and continue reading just the AAR. I hope you will enjoy them. I will be posting the historic articles as we reach the period, but after the battle of Lepanto (1571) there will be few left, since Venetian history becomes less relevant due to its decadence. The Italian wars however are fascinating.

Constitutional Organization and Principal Dignities of the Venetian State.

by Fodoron after Andrea Da Mosto.

Part I. The Doge

The word doge is equivalent to duke in the Venetian dialect. It has a military origen, and the experts identify Orso Ipato as the first Duke of Venice under the authority of the Emperor of the Orient. After a period of progressively lesser dependence from Byzantium, during which the doges had maximal authority and tried to establish feudal dynasties on several occasions, a fully democratic system was implanted, and the election of a new doge took place under a "concio generalis" or "arenga" of the entire population, in practice the population of the Rialto (the central group of islands). But during the XI and XII centuries, the richest families that took over all the administrative posts, increased their authority, reducing the doge to the role of first magistrate of the state. His powers were checked to the point of requiring the acquiescence of the councillors for any normal function of the state, like receiving ambassadors or writing state letters, and was forbidden from renouncing, leaving Venice without permit, receiving presents or benefiting his family.

In 1172 the already decaying democratic system was abolished and Venice turned into an oligarchy. The Maggior Consiglio was instituted and the election of the doge was entrusted to delegates, whose designation evolved until 1268, when the final complicated electoral system was established.

Nove di trenta e poi quaranta sono
Poi dodici, poi venti e cinque appresso,
nove, quarantacinque, undici, et messo
dai quarantuno è il sommo duce in trono.

First, thirty members of the Consigglio Magiore were chosen at random, using colored balls whose Venetian name is the origin of the American word ballot. These thirty drew lots to cut their number down to nine, who then nominated and elected a new group of forty electors. These were then cut down by drawing lots to a group of twelve. The procedure was repeated two more times, terminating with a group of forty-one electors of whom at least twenty-five were required to nominate a doge for the approval of the Consigglio Magiore. Since a member of the Consigglio could only be chosen as a delegate in one of the three designation procedures, and randomness played a big role, the procedure basically made it impossible to know in advance, and therefore to influence, the final electors. Bids to power were further complicated by the fact that any member of the Consigglio could be chosen as doge with independence of him having postulated himself or not.

When nominated, the doge had to sworn allegiance to the ducal limitations (promissions), and after 1501 special inquisitors were appointed at the death of the doge to investigate if the limitations had been observed, and fines could be imposed on the family if the deceased doge was found guilty.

Special honors were reserved to the dogaressa, who was inthroned as well as her husband. Ceremonial excesses in this aspect ended up in the prohibition of the crowning of the dogaressa in 1643.

After being elected, in the consequent celebrations, the new doge was given a walk in a special hand chair around the piazza St. Mark, where all the population was concentrated and he was required to throw coins to his new subjects. This very onerous custom, in many cases determined the appreciation of the population to their new doge, given the love for money of the Venetians. Rich doges had members of their family throwing coins also from windows in the Ducal palace and the coins were of gold. while less rich doges could only reduce the cost by increasing the speed of the walk and throw coins of lesser value, knowing that they were starting their reigning on a bad foot in terms of popularity.

The title of the doge in the first times was: humilis Dux provinciae Veneciarum or divina gratia Venetiae Dux. After the conquest of Dalmatia it became: Dux Venetiae et Dalmatiae, Dux Veneticorum et Dalmatianorum and a little after: Dux Venetiae Dalmatiae et Chroatiae. After Enrico Dandolo and the fourth crusade it became: Dux Venetiae, Dalmatiae et Chroatiae et Dominus quartae partis et dimidiae totius imperii Romani (and lord of 3/8 of the Roman Empire). In 1356, under Giovanni Dolfin, after the defeat and temporal loss of Dalmatia to Hungary the title acquired its final form: Dux Venetiarum et coetera (etc). At the court of Byzantium, the first doges were given the honorific title: imperialis ypathus, dux ac spatarius Veneticorum, imperialis patricius archispatus, imperialis protosevastos or protosebaste. From the title of spatario perdured the spade that was carried by a patrician in the court of the doge. The title was followed by the apelative of Serenità or Serenissimo, that lasted until the end of the Republic.

The Italian expedition of Charles VIII. 1494-1496. The beginning of the so called Italian Wars.

1. Antecedents

Louis XI of France would be succeeded in 1483 by young Charles VIII. Charles VIII was a throwback. He lived lost in a world of chivalry. Helped by his sister, he turned back a last gasp by the powerful dukes of Orleans and Brittany, supported by England and the Habsburgs in 1488. He clearly had a grand design, probably inspired by the Spanish Reconquista and the rise of the Ottoman Turks. He dreamed of his own crusade versus the infidel and recapturing Jerusalem for Christendom. He based his plan on a nebulous claim that his family had for the throne of Naples in Southern Italy through his paternal grandmother, Marie of Anjou (1404 - 1463). Charles’ ambitions were widely known, and Ludovico Sforza felt that they could solve his own problems with Naples. Florence under Piero de Medici was shifting alliances from Ludovico of Milan towards Ferrante of Naples. Ludovico, quite paranoid about it, signed an Act of Confederation with the new Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) on April 22, 1493, inviting Venice to the league. Ferrante counterattacked by pressing Ludovico to resign to his regency of Milan, since his nephew the Duke, Gian Galeazzo Sforza, was already 22 and married to Ferrante's granddaughter Isabella. Ferrante threatened to declare Ludovico an usurper, and Ludovico decided to bring a bigger threat over Ferrante's head. He misscalculated hugely bringing about the ruin of both Naples and Milan.

A1charles8laffable.jpg

However Ludovico felt it would be dangerous to be solely responsible for bringing about a French invasion, and so he persuaded Pope Alexander VI to help him convince Charles VIII. Ludovico's ambassador, Carlo da Barbiano, spoke to the great lords of the Royal Council about the legality of Charles VIII’s claim to the Kingdom of Naples, about the weakness of the armies of the King of Naples, and about the glory the conquest of Naples would bring to France. But most of the great lords of the Royal Council were against an attack on Naples, seeing it as very expensive and very dangerous; that the King of Naples was rich and powerful and his son was a skilled general. They argued that Charles VIII was too inexperienced to fight a war and that his advisers were weak and foolish to trust Ludovico Sforza, who was known all over Italy for his treachery.

But Charles VIII, a youth of twenty-two, was carried away by a thirst for glory and a desire to conquer the Kingdom of Naples, and paid very little attention to the arguments of the great lords of the Royal Council. Instead, he heard the advice of his own advisers, many of whom had been corrupted by the money and promises of Ludovico Sforza’s ambassador, who offered them the possibility of getting land and estates in the Kingdom of Naples and ecclesiastical positions from the Pope. Finally, after several days’ debate, Charles VIII signed a secret agreement with Ludovico Sforza’s ambassador, by which it was agreed that Charles VIII would send an army to invade the Kingdom of Naples and Milan would provide men, money and free passage.

A2Naples.jpg

To have his hands free in Italy, Charles made ruinous pacts with all his neighbours, so they would not interfere. Henry VII was given cash, Ferdinand II of Aragon was given the Rousillon. Maximilian was given Artois and Franche-Comté. This handing out of territory is symptomatic of Charles’ lack of foresight as once it was gone it could not make a contribution to France any more and each parcel of land had potential strategic implications to the defence of France, especially Artois and Franche-Comté, both of which bordered Imperial land. Additionally, once given, nothing obliged the receiver to keep his word, and they didn't. However, Charles was willing to do this in his attempt to establish his Neapolitan base for his crusade.

Italy had entered the Renaissance before the rest of Europe. Italians were already caught up in commercial and local political pursuits by the mid 1300's. They had become rich enough that they could see the folly of turning away from the important business of making money for a military campaign. The solution was simply to hire some mercenaries to do the fighting. The fighting was between the many independent towns of Italy and thus to insure a well executed campaign a contract, condotta in Italian, was drawn up between the town leaders and the leaders of mercenary bands, who came to be called Condottieri. From about 1350 to 1454 the Condottieri fought across the breadth of Italy sorting out the never ending series of disputes and power grabs by the Italian towns. By 1450 there were five major powers in Italy. In the north was Venice and Milan. Venice was by far the most powerful, in other words the richest, but much of her power was devoted to maintaining her possessions in the eastern Mediterranean versus the increasingly powerful Ottoman Empire. Florence and the Papal States occupied the center of Italy, and in the south was Naples. In 1454 a balance had been struck by the Peace of Lodi, and the level of conflict fell off. After the Peace the remaining warfare in Italy was mostly large skirmishes, esentially disputes over borders, and the remaining Condottieri carried on a desultory form of fighting marked by small armies of nearly impregnable mounted knights and a few light infantry agreeing to meet at the few level places in Italy, engaging in a few charges and counter charges, and then calling it a day when the sun went down. Most of the point seemed to be to capture and ransom some of the opposing knights, and a few border hamlets would exchange hands. Since the Italians were rich they had all the latest innovations, artillery and hand guns, but rarely turned the artillery on the tall stone walls of the towns or used the hand guns to kill the knights. Their mostly ritual methods of war fighting, lack of unity, and wealth made Italy a tempting target.

2. The Campaign

Charles VIII was on good terms with the two powers in northern Italy, Milan and Venice, and both had encouraged him to make good his claims over the Kingdom of Naples. Thus he assumed he would have their support when he moved against Alfonso II of Naples especially as the rival claimant was Fernando, king of Aragon and consort king of Castile. Ferrante of Naples had just died on January knowing of the storm that was coming over his kingdom, that he left to his son Alfonso. Charles immediately claimed the throne of Naples, but pope Alexander confirmed Alfonso's rights. At the end of August 1494 Charles VIII led a powerful French army with the first artillery train and a large contingent of Swiss mercenaries into Italy. He was granted free passage through Milan, but was vigorously opposed by Florence, the Pope, and Naples. To insure his supply lines Charles took a detour to Genoa, the largest port in northwestern Italy, and left an occupying garrison. Genoa had been a Milanese possession and Ludovico Sforza, who was invested Duke of Milan by Maximilian upon the suspicious death of his nephew and prisoner Gian Galeazzo, started having second thoughts about the wisenest of his invitation to Charles. Additionally, Charles had taken his rival Gian Giacomo Trivulzio under his service, and Ludovico now realized that the claim of Orleans over Milan could materialize with the help of this member of the powerful Trivulzio Milanese family.

B1ChVIIIAlps.jpg

As the French army moved south the Neapolitans and their Spanish allies tried to threaten Genoa by taking the nearby town Rapallo in a sea born invasion. The French with Milanese help responded with a joint sea-land assault, retook Rapallo, and then the French soldiers and Swiss mercenaries proceeded to massacre the inhabitants. For the Swiss and French, who had memories of the very bloody sieges of the 100 Years War and Charles the Bold's adventures, there was little out of the ordinary here. The Italians were shocked, and fell into confusion. The French army rolled over a Papal-Neapolitan army, the remnants fled to a nearby town, which the French smashed with their artillery, and there followed another massacre. The Spanish and Neapolitans withdrew from central Italy to defend the borders of Naples. Pope Alexander VI called his army to defend Rome. The Florentines, left alone to contend with the French in the north, withdrew to their castles, a series of sieges and massacres followed, and Charles VIII entered Florence in November. But he offered to respect the decision of her citizens, leaded by Savonarola, of expelling the Medici, in exchange for 120,000 ducats and control of several fortresses.

B2Charles8FlorenceGranacci.jpg

Charles was very impressed by the fortress like appearence of the houses and palaces of Florence and did not want to get into a street fight there.
-------------------​

Showing that he also knew how to play the Italian money game, Charles bought off the Pope's Condottieri, probably with money from the Florentine treasury, and by December he entered Rome without a fight. The Orsini, always at odds with the Colonna even took the French side. It was here that Charles proclaimed his peaceful intentions to the rest of Italy, it is true that he had left the new Florentine government intact, and stated that his plan was to reclaim his rightful position in Naples to use it as a base for his crusade against the Turk. He obtained from the Pope the custody of Jem, Bayezid's brother, who was to stir up rebellions during the crusade against the Sultan. Charles then left for Naples. Alfonso, terrified by the situation and despised by his own subjects, abdicated in his young son Ferrantino who was popular between the Neapolitans, leaving to him the chaos of the hopeless resistance.

B3Jem.jpg

Jem, son of Mehmet II and older brother of Bayezid, was the secret weapon of the Christians against the sultan of the Ottomans.
-------------------​

In January 1495 the French invaded Naples, there were a couple of sieges and massacres, a pitched battle in February easily won by the French, and on 22 February Charles VIII entered Naples. Ferrantino, after inflicting damage to the French fleet took refuge in the island of Ischia, off the coast of Naples. But at that point Jem died in Naples (poison was rumored) in what constituted a blow to the crusade idea. But the speed and violence of the campaign left the Italians stunned. Realization struck them, especially the Venetians and Ludovico il Moro of Milan, that unless Charles was stopped Italy would soon be another province of France. On March 31, in Venice, the Holy League was proclaimed; the signatories were the Republic of Venice, the Duke of Milan, the Pope, the Spanish King, and Maximilian Habsburg who was Holy Roman Emperor. Only Savonarola's Florence remained loyal to Charles who had promised to respect their integrity, and Ertole's Ferrara who hoped to recover what had lost to Venice. Charles was both angry and alarmed by the news. The League had entrusted a veteran Condottiero, Francesco Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua to gather an army and expel the French from Italy. By May first, this army was threatening the garrisons that Charles had left in a trail down Italy to guard his communications with France. On May 20, Charles left Naples leaving behind a garrison to hold the country and proclaiming that he only desired a safe return to France.

B4charles8IsabelleBilivert.jpg

Isabelle d'Aragon, daughter of Alfonso II of Naples implores Charles VIII on behalf of her father the king of Naples and her husband, Gian Galeazzo Sforza, nominal Duke of Milan, who was then sick.
-------------------​

As a footnote Charles' army had picked up a terrible malady while in Naples. Naples is southern Italy's great port and sailors who had sailed with Columbus a few years earlier had left the comforting women of Naples with syphilis, the New Worlds horrible revenge on the Old. As the French Army returned north, this malady would be spread across Italy, and eventually to all of Europe. Everywhere except in France it was going to be known as the French disease.

Charles was well received in Rome, but he avoided Florence this time, since he had made incompatible promises to Pisa and Florence, and with his army got to Pisa on June 20. Pisa had long been Florence's rival and had fallen to Florence in 1406, both bought from France and conquered by force. The Pisans begged Charles to protect them from Florentine oppression. Charles broke his word to Florence, and spent some time expelling the Florentines and left a garrison behind to help the Pisans defend themselves from the Florentines. Up to this point the League had apparently been ready to let Charles VIII leave peacefully, but this act, and news that a French relief force headed by Louis of Orleans (future Louis XII), was heading south, invading Milan, and stirring up a rebellion in Novara against Ludovico, galvanized the League into action.

A large Italian army, mostly Venetian, assembled in Venetian territory in late June and headed west to block Charles retreat to France. A Venetian fleet descended on and took Genoa soon after. Charles had apparently planned to head to Genoa and evacuate by sea. He now had to move inland over the mountains. This was going to be difficult as he still had his large siege train and a baggage train that was loaded with booty from Florence, Rome, and Naples. He turned inland, found his passage blocked by a League garrison at the village of Pontremoli, conducted a quick siege followed by the usual massacre, and continued inland. On July 4, the French reached the village of Fornovo and found their passage blocked by the main League army camped just north of the village. While waiting for events to develop, they enterteined themselves burning the village.

3. The Battle of Fornovo

Alessandro Beneditti, in his Diaria de Bello Carolino (Diary of the Caroline War) gives one of the best accounts of this battle. Beneditti was a physician working for the Venetian forces and started his diary in May 1495, and a month later, was an eyewitness to this battle.* This section reflects chapters 29 to 60 of Book 1 of the Diaria de Bello Carolino heavily edited for brevity.

On 27 June the Venetians and their allies established camp near Fornovo, eight miles from Parma, to wait for the French. They would not have to wait long. But the Venetian Senate was not unanimous on fighting the French. Some members, wanted to attack the rear guard of the French to try to seize the booty, while others cautioned that Italy was risking too much in this battle, while for the French it was only one army. At length the opinion prevailed that the battle should be entrusted to fate.

On July 4, the French showed up and upon seeing the Venetians camped in the right side of the Taro river, they crossed to the left side unimpeded, in a clear example of Italian indecisiveness. Ercole d'Este, duke of Ferrara, Charles strongest ally in Italy as he was the enemy of Venice, communicated with him that the Senate had not yet authorized the Venetian proveditors to fight. Yes, it was almost impossible to keep a secret in Venice, since the decisions were taken in college and many in Venice found a living in selling official secrets. But the French were anxious, seeing the enemy numbers growing, while they had no hope of reinforcements. Parliaments were started, and Charles requested free passage, but the Venetians required him to restore all his conquests and abandon his guns. Charles, after consulting with his Italian advisors, Gian Giacomo Trivulzio and Francesco Secco, together with the nobles, decided to fight, and sent about forty soldiers ahead to reconnoiter. These were quickly routed by the Greek Stradioti.

C1Bayard.jpg

Pierre Bayard, the paramount example of the French knighthood
-------------------​

Two days later, on July 6, Charles decided to present battle because they were short on provisions. The League armies, mostly Venetians, were at the right slope of the Taro river, and the French had decided to keep the left side. The French position was deemed to be good for defense because the Venetians had not cleared the field, and the rain had made the river banks slippery and impassable for the cavalry. Charles organized his almost 10,000 men in three battle groups. He put Gian Giacomo Trivulzio in charge of the first, which consisted of three hundred horsemen, two hundred light-armed soldiers, and two thousand German foot soldiers equipped with spears, who were surrounded by men carrying small hand-guns and armed with axes and hatchets. After a short space Count Niccola de Pitigliano and Franceso Secco rode alone in front, the first one the prisoner, the second the leader. A little after them followed the second group, of which the King himself was in command. It consisted of six hundred horsemen, the real line of battle, and in it were all the mounted bowmen and the German foot soldiers the flower of almost all the troops of the King. After a like space came the last group, in which were four hundred horsemen and about a thousand foot soldiers. The rest of the spear-bearing foot soldiers made up one line or vast phalanx which advanced not far from the lines of the horsemen. Artillery protected the first line from the front and the second toward the Taro.

C2Fornovo1495.jpg

The battle of Fornovo in an engrave from that time. The Italians are at the top, and crossing the river to attack both the rear (left) and back (right) of the French army.
-------------------​

Melchiorre Trevisan promised the League soldiers that the huge spoils of the Neapolitan kingdom which the French carried were theirs if they triumphed in battle, igniting their combat ardor, or more properly their greed. Francesco Gonzaga had organized his over 20,000 men in 9 lines, and his battle plan was to harass the first and middle groups of the French, while the main force was to attack the rear of the enemy on both sides, when confusion was thrown into the rear and spread by the fugitives into the other two groups, the three lines in the reserve were to attack in full force at the center.

The light cavalry attack on the French front was impeded by the terrain conditions, as the French anticipated, and its result indecisive. While the battle was at its most delicate point, the Stradioti saw that the French guarding the baggage train were being driven out by the assigned italian light cavalry, and they immediately left their positions to fell upon the rich baggage to plunder it. What had been a battle slowly evolving towards the Venetian advantage, now turned into a bloody exchange. The French artillery did not play a role because the rain wetted the powder. The Venetian reserve entered battle. The French were demoralized by the numbers of their enemies, but the Venetians failed to capitalize because many were fleeing the battle and others went to plunder the baggage train. As often, the mercenaries did not want to continue a battle that was turning too bloody for their taste. The Venetian proveditors, and Count Niccola Pitigliano who had escaped from the French, were instrumental in turning back many fleeing Italians convincing them that the battle was being won.

C3FornovoBayard.jpg

The Italians did surprinsingly well against the French heavy cavalry. The storm and the courage of the Venetian two-hand swormen are credited for avoiding what according to experience should have been just another French victory.
-------------------​

After over an hour of fighting, the French yielded the field and took refuge in a hill. The Venetians that wanted to pursue them were too few and both sides took to camp. The French had lost over a thousand men, while the Venetians lost over two thousand, but the nobles of both sides had been singled out, and many of them had died. Here started the glorious career of Pierre du Terrail, later known as the fearless and blameless knight of Bayard. But to King Charles, his personal lost was enormous, because he lost all his booty from Naples, Rome, and Florence, worth well over 300,000 ducats. The loses also included several Holy Relics and Charlemagne's sword. A 24 h. truce was declared for burial of the death. Many unlucky soldiers in the booty pillage, joined by crowds of local peasants and camp-servants from both sides took on the field and removed anything of value from the fallen soldiers, so even the wounded ones, both Venetian and French, were found naked before being taken to the Venetian camp for treatment by Beneditti and the other physicians, indifferent to their nationality.

C4medecincamp.jpg

Alessandro Beneditti, the battle chronicler, was a member of one of the first organized medicin camp with first class surgeons in history.
-------------------​

The following evening, Doge Agostino Barbarigo and the Senate received a report in which they were told that the Venetian army had not been defeated, but that the result of the battle was uncertain because they had many casualties and desertors, but they did not know the enemy casualties. The entire city thought that their fortunes had worsened, but the next day a more detailed report finally revealed the extent of the plunder and the fear that had seized the enemy, who dared not fight but as suppliants sought now a truce, now peace.

In fact, Charles was allowed to leave unmolested, and with the surrender of Louis in Novara to the forces of Ludovico, he was back to square one, so he signed a separate peace with Ludovico at Vercelli in October 10, 1495, and left for France. To this day both sides claim victory at Fornovo, but to the impartial analist, the battle result was disgraceful to both sides. The Italian armies were shown once more tremendously inferior to the French, but Charles was forced to leave Italy in disgrace, and that, to the Italians, was triumph enough. Mantegna was commissioned to paint the "Madonna della Vittoria" to commemorate the "victory" of Francesco Gonzaga.

In my opinion, a clear victory for the French would have had a very similar result, since Charles wanted to leave for France, despite Louis desire to keep the fight in Milan. Only he would have had the booty to partially compensate the costs of the expedition. A clear victory for the Italians would also have had a very similar result, as it would have not dissuaded Louis from later reclaiming what he thought was his: Milan.

Last edited:
4. The consecuences

Venice had profited by the troubles of Naples to acquire four ports, Monopoli, Trani, Brindisi, and Otranto, on the easterly coast of Apulia, that retained as price for their help. Florence was by agreement to receive back her towns, but the indolence of Charles and the corrupt disobedience of French lieutenants gave Pisa to the Pisans, Sarzana to the Genoese, and Pietra Santa to Lucca, triggering a war between Florence and Pisa. That war, provoked by Charles, was to cause much misery to both Florence and Pisa until the latter surrendered 13 years later in 1509. In Naples the first descent of Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba with 5,000 Spaniards, veterans of the Granada war, was not fortunate. His army was defeated at Seminara by a band of Swiss, but the experience served him well, as that defeat at the hands of pikers was the genesis of his ideas that would cristalize in the Spanish Tercios. But Ferrantino, undaunted, presented himself at Naples with his fleet. Repulsed at first, a chance gave him the advantage, and his supporters gained the town. In February, 1496, with the Spanish help, all the castles of Naples were in the hands of the Aragonese. On the death from malaria of young Ferrantino, October 6, 1496, Federigo, his uncle, succeeded. Soon after (November 19), Gaeta, the last important stronghold of the French, surrendered.

Charles left Italy, without having gained anything. He attempted in the next two years to rebuild his army, but was hampered by the serious debts incurred by the previous one - he never succeeded in recouping anything substantive. He died two-and-a-half years after his retreat, of a freak accident - striking himself on the head while passing through a doorway, he succumbed to a sudden coma several hours later, falling to the ground on a filthy passage and was left agonizing for hours surrounded by excrements, as they did not dare move him.

D1CharlesVIII.jpg

Charles bequeathed a meagre legacy - he left France in debt and in disarray as a result of an ambition most charitably characterized as unrealistic, and having given away several important provinces that would take long to recover. On a more positive side, his expedition did broaden contacts between French and Italian humanists, energizing French art and letters in the latter Renaissance. He also gave a name to a new disease that would be the subject of many jokes in centuries to come, specially when antibiotics gave a reason to laugh about it.

Charles proved the last of the elder branch of the House of Valois, and upon his death at Amboise the throne passed to his cousin Louis of Orleans, who reigned as Louis XII of France. On his accession, he took the titles of Duke of Milan and King of Sicily, sending a shrounding chill through Italy, specially to Ludovico Sforza, who had seized Milan from his nephew Gian Galeazzo, and that upon his death, had seen his claim legitimized. Louis needed the annulment of his marriage to the crippled sister of late Charles VIII, to marry his widow, Anne of Brittany, and Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) needed a royal wife for his son Cesare Borgia who wanted to resign his cardinalate. While preparations started in 1498 for a new French expedition, the Pope and the King of France were reaching an understanding.

D2manteg02.jpg

Andrea Mantegna was commissioned to paint the "Madonna della Vittoria" in which Francesco Gonzaga is shown receiving the grace of victory.
-------------------​

For Italy the consequences of the expedition of Charles VIII were catastrophic. Europe knew now, from the French and German soldiers in Charles' expedition, and from the Spanish soldiers in Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba expedition, of an incredibly rich land, divided into easily conquerable principalities, and defended only by mercenary armies that refused to fight at the slightness contrariety. Italy was to be the scenary of a dispute between the main European powers, where the Italians were left only with a secondary role in their own destiny. Basically only Venice with his modelic (for the time) system of government was going to survive the invasion of Italy, as a completely independent state, but at the highest difficulties, and at the cost of her strengh and impulse.

But for Venice dark clouds were forming on the East horizon. Upon the death of his brother Jem, Bayezid found that he had his hands free against the Westerners. Already at war with Hungary and Poland, the Venetian merchants started to give warnings that a powerful fleet was being built in Istambul, already exceeding 300 warships. Rhodes or Venice were the likely targets, but while the Hospitallers were buying cannons, strengthening their fortifications, and recalling their brethren from all over Europe, Venice, bussy with celebrations and festivities, was not readying for the storm.

Main sources: David Cinabrio for the campaign and Alessandro Beneditti for the battle. Stanley Heathes in the Cambridge Modern History, and Philip Hughes in A History of the Church. Heavily edited and completed from other minor sources by Fodoron.

armes.gif
Senators,

We must accept that the hated Genoese have behaved with a courage and determination that our armies lack. I am not trying to deny my responsability, but once more our armies show inferiority to the enemy, both in morale and readiness. Only this time no tactic could compensate for that, as we were forced to come against an enemy fortified behind tall walls and well provided.

1494.jpg

War was declared in February 1494. Reports indicated that active recruitment was taking place in Genoa while the situation appeared favorable in Kerch, where active fighting had taken place between Turks and Genoese. The declaration of war also tried to prevent the Genoese from bringing reinforcements to Kerch by cutting the access through the Sea of Marmara. While Francesco Gonzaga had no problem in defeating the small garrison at Genoa, our fleet was defeated by the Genoese fleet and had to allow their passage into the Black Sea.

The war appeared very favorable to us, with Genoa under siege and the first reports from our forces in Kaffa under our military access treaty with Theodoros, that indicated that Kerch was unprotected, although undergoing active recruitment. Then the war started to take a turn for the worse.

A freshly recruited army of 8,000 men was quickly routed by Francesco Gonzaga, but the survivors, about 5,000 men, regrouped in Lombardia and attempted to take refuge by crossing the Po into neutral Emilia, owned by Savoy. Pascal Barbarigo, on command of a superior force of cavalry, was quickly dispatched, and fell upon them before they had fully recovered from their previous defeat. Somehow, and he will have to give explanations for it, Pascal Barbarigo managed to have his entire army exterminated to the last man, while he himself escaped alive. To make matters worse, Hastu Neon, on command of another army of 6,000 stradioti managed to have his forces also anihilated, while trying to avenge Barbarigo.

1494b.jpg

By then we had 22,000 men under command of King of Minors ready to invade Kerch, defended by 2,000 men, across the strait. But first we had to defeat the Genoese fleet, and this mission was entrusted to our new admiral, Andrea Loredan, on command of 21 galleys. While engaged in battle, our reinforcements arrived saving the day, but to our horror, the Genoese fleet took refuge in the port of Kerch, dissembarking an army of 18,000 men ready to die before surrendering the fortress. Before taking any further action, I informed the Signoria of the new situation. Their decision was to force our way into the fortress of Kerch by a frontal attack, accepting the grievous loses that it could bring to us. The other option of ending the war, was considered as shameful and cowardly after the loss of our cavalry in Italy.

1495.jpg

Over the months the situation in Italy evolved favorably. Francesco Gonzaga conquered Genoa and managed to destroy the remaining Genoese forces, but he died while embarking towards the Black Sea from a war pestilence. The war against the Knights was carried out favorably, with two naval defeats, three naval victories and a frustrated landing in Corfu. Sopracomito Carlec distinguished himself when on command of 10 galleys in the lower Adriatic he faced a mixed Genoese fleet of 12 ships, and in 5 victorious engagements he was able to sink all the enemy ships, losing only one galley.

In the first assault on Kerch, about 20,000 men were lost from the army commanded by King of Minors, inflicting very light loses to the enemy. The second assault by Horvendile fared a little bit better, when he was reinforced by P. Badoer, reducing the enemy forces to less than half of their original numbers. But a third and a fourth assaults were necessary before on the fifth attempt, an army commanded by Horvendile was able to overcome the resistance of the last remanents of the Genoese forces, and finally establish a siege in Kerch. The siege has been going on only for 1 month. We have lost 68,000 men, but if we discount the loses in Italy (15,000), the rest accounts for a little over twice what the Genoese lost defending Kerch. Such loses are to be expected in a landing or when forcing our way through a strait.

1498.jpg

The many land defeats have offset our naval victories, and our warscore has been reduced to +21%. However the Genoese are now demoralized and with a very reduced income, since both their centers of trade had been looted several times, and their armies and navies reduced to irrelevancy. They are showing a great disposition towards peace, and I believe that they will surrender Kerch soon after its capture by our forces.

I will now answer your questions and accept your criticism.

Capitano Generale Fodoroni

Constitutional Organization and Principal Dignities of the Venetian State.

by Fodoron after Andrea Da Mosto.

Part II. The Maggior Consiglio

The Maggior Consiglio appeared around 1172 as a derivative of the "consilium sapientum" that restrained the powers of the Doge. From its beginnings the Venetian aristocracy ensured the control of the new organ. The initial system of nomination of its members by a small committee of electors was threatened in the XIII century by a nobility fracture between conservatives and innovators that gave place to the admission of new members in a restricted fashion. After much struggle, it was approved in 1297 to assign the Quarantia to make a list of those that having participated in the Maggior Consiglio could become permanent members on condition of obtaining at least 12 votes from the Quarantia. Successive laws (1307-1316) made it more difficult to enter the Maggior Consiglio.

In 1315 the Maggior Consiglio ordered the institution of a book where those that upon turning eighteen had the right to enter the Consiglio were written down. The book was held by the Quarantia.

In 1319, the electors were abolished, and after investigating the validity of all the claims, the Maggior Consiglio was finally made an hereditary chamber were all those with hereditary right would become members when turning 25 years old. Further laws restricted access from those that did not have clean lineage and legitimate birth, and set the incompatibility with ecclesiastical posts. Every year, thirty youngsters of 20 with the right to become members at 25, were accepted by a lottery held the day of St. Barbara (grazia della Barbarella). Finally, in 1506 and 1526 were instituted the books were all the noble births and marriages became registered (libri d'oro) to facilitate the assessment of personal rights to Maggior Consiglio membership.

MaggiorConsiglioBella.jpg

After the closure (Serrata) of the access to the Maggior Consiglio, membership was granted to some families to reinvigorate the State Treasure, and replace families that had become extinct. The Maggior Consiglio abdicated its sovereignty on May 12, 1797.

The Maggior Consiglio became from its origins the supreme organ of the Venetian Republic replacing the ancient "concio", that was formally abolished in 1423. It held all legislative and executive powers, but after the closure transformed from an assembly of the most capable, to a body of those privileged by birth. Consequently it started to delegate powers to other organs, mainly to the Senate, but it always retained the supreme authority in legislative power, and the most important matters ended up always being discussed and at least re-approved in the Maggiore Consiglio. The election of the officials of the Republic always remained a competence of the Maggior Consiglio.

Last edited:
armes.gif
Senators,

I blame the war against England and Ireland on the insufficient armed forces that our Republic has for her defense. 33,000 men is simply not enough for a country of one province, let alone one of 20. My repeated requests for an increase in the military budget had gone unanswered by the Consiglio. Now the Republic will have to spend more, and quickly, unless we want to be at war with more countries.

On the last year of the XVth century, and first of our war against the English and Irish, we raised 18,000 infantry and 14,000 cavalry. When Kerch finally surrendered in October, 9,000 more cavalry were made available for the war. But we had to use them against our own people in Mantua when they rebelled. Our navy was improved to Level 5 and placed to intercept any attack from the Sea of Liguria in Fiorenze to Crete.

1499b.jpg

We did not have to wait long for the Islanders to show up. The English came walking across the continent, while the Irish tried to surprise our navy, but they were intercepted in the Gulf of Taranto by the King of Minors, that defeated them, but could not prevent 5,000 Irish soldiers from disembarking in Apulia and walking to Napoli. The English had obtained military access from all our neighbours, including our vassal the Pope Alexander VI, as intrigant as always. The first English attempt to penetrate our defenses was routed at Lombardia by Carmagnola.

To strengthen our command I ordered the hiring of two renowned condottieri, the Colonna cousins, Nicolo Pitigliano and Bartolomeo Alviano. The older one, Pitigliano, is quite useless (1, 1, 1, 2) except in sieges, while the young one, Alviano, is moderately useful (3, 2, 2, 1). These two condottieri are very well known in Venetian history for their role in the battle of Agnadello, and that is the reason of their low ratings.

1499c.jpg

Although the Irish were defeated in the Gulf of Tarento, they disembarked troops in Apulia. Genoa surrendered Kerch and even paid some badly needed funds. The English army going through Piemonte was expected in Lombardia, but took an unexpected route through Genoa, and covered by the Po made it to Romagna where they defeated our Italian forces south of the Po. A rebellion in Napoli and the arrival of the forces from Kerch turned the tide and soon Italy was free of enemies.
-------------------​

But the English showed unexpected skill when instead of attacking again in Lombardia, where they were expected, went through Liguria (Genoa) and Emilia (Savoy) into Romagna, where they defeated the army that was being assembled to fight the Irish in Napoli. Suddenly all Italy was at risk, but the Neapolitans that so much hate foreign domination, rose in arms and massacred the Irish, with the surviving ones taking refuge in the mountains of Apulia. Mocenigo was capable of putting down the rebellion in Napoli before the rebels took over the city. Alviano took command of the army and attacked the Irish in Apulia, but was defeated, although he managed to kill the few surviving Irish when they went back to Naples. Then Hastu Neon took care of the English in Romagna.

1501.jpg

Agostino Barbarigo tried to settle with the English King almost until the day he died. He was substituted by Doge Leonardo Loredano, a young Doge of 65, not particularly noted before his election. The war was then at an impasse, since we could not take the war to England and had to wait for their initiative. Although Leonardo was a better diplomat, Henry continued turning down our attempts to settle.

1501b.jpg

But the Ragusans showed their love for the Republic, and raised at their own cost an army of 10,000 infantry and equipped 10 new galleys. A 250 ducats saving to the State Treasure. It had also an unexpected effect, because while trying to deploy our new forces, we noted that an Irish navy had sneaked along the cost of North-Africa, turned North between Crete and Cyprus, and then West, undetected between the costs of Rhodes and Crete, and disembarked a small force of 2,000 Irish soldiers behind our lines. This is worrisome since it shows the level of intelligence that our enemy has on us, since every sea area between Genoa and Crete was patrolled by our fleets to prevent exactly what they managed to accomplish nevertheless.

1502.jpg

But it also provided an opportunity, since our Capitano Generale della Mar, admiral Andrea Loredan was patrolling the Aegean to watch the Turkish dogs, and he immediately moved South to make the Irish pay their treachery. The Irish admiral made the mistake of retreating from battle to the North, into the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea, where he was almost exterminated by Loredan in four battles, without any loss to us. Meanwhile Christoforo Moro in charge of the Greek forces eliminated the small Irish detachment and quelled a rebellion in Thrace, although at a great cost, losing a third of his forces. The defeat of his Irish allies in their bold attempt to turn the war prompted Henry VII to seek peace, and he offered us 138 ducats to partially compensate our war expenses. And so finally the war ended. After over 8 years of uninterrupted war, our country is prey to unrest and instability, but the army is ready both to keep peace or to wage war if necessary.

On a final note, I have recommended young Christoforo Moro for the vacant post of Podestà (Military Governor) in Famagusta, Cyprus, both as a reward for his performance and in recognition of his skill at - let's say - "pacifying" our notoriously rebellious Greek subjects. I have heard that he has his eyes set in a particularly beautiful girl, and no doubt a new important position in a nice destination will help him win her over. Let it not be said that we do not take care of our young commanders.

Capitano Generale Fodoroni

The Turn of the XVI Century: The Third Veneto-Turkish war and the invasion of Louis XII.

Reminder:
1425-1430 First Veneto-Turkish war: The war of Thessalonike.
1463-1479 Second Veneto-Turkish war: Loss of Scodra, Kroja, Negroponte and Lemnos.

Note: some count the skirmishes of 1416 also as a war, but most reject this since no territories exchanged hands.

Instead of separating both issues, as many history books do. I feel more appropriate to present them as they developed to the Venetians, following more or less their temporal development. The help given by both France and Spain during the war against the Ottoman Empire, and the behaviour of the rest of the Italian cities, that were rooting and encouraging Bayezid, cannot be otherwise understood.

1. The antecedents

The opportunity for the Italians that came with the Peace of Lodi in 1454 had already disappeared. The selfishness of the five major nations had made it impossible. The ever changing priorities of Papal States, often subject to foreign influences was a major factor. Florence imploded with the last of the Medici, followed by the Savonarola affair and the exhausting war with the Pisans. Naples, weakened by the military assault of the French, ravaged by famine and with serious internal problems, had become a sitting duck to French and Spanish ambitions. Ludovico Sforza had managed to weaken the position of Milan with his treason to the French. Louis was bound to come for revenge and Ludovico could not have hopes of militarily defending his duchy against the French. Venice was both hated and despised by the rest. Always coming unscathed and with more territories, the Serenissima was seeing as a cold, faceless, secret and mysterious entity, that was little by little taking over Italy. Her constitution had been designed so nobody held too much power in the Republic and so the Doge was a little more than a decorative figurehead, while her real rulers were faceless.

01LudovicoMoro.jpg

Ludovico Sforza, known as il Moro for his dark skinned complexion, had seized the Duchy of Milan from his nephew and was invested by his suzerain, the Holy Roman Emperor, after the suspicious death of the young Gian Galeazzo. Ludovico was reputed by his scheaming and unreliability.
-------------------​

During the time between both French invasions, the anti-Venetian sentiment had been running high. Ludovico Sforza and his lovely wife Beatrice D'Este had been trying to gather support from the rest of the Italians, and it was clear that Venice could very well side with the French. There were already attempts to enlist the help of the Turks against Venice. Georgio Buzardo, the Papal ambassador that had concluded an agreement between Alexander VI and Bayezid II against Charles VIII, was sent again in 1496 with ambassadors from Naples, Florence, Milan, Mantua and Ferrara to poison the relationships between Venice and the Ottoman Empire and try to induce the latter to declare war to the former. Bayezid had not liked Charles VIII idea of a crusade against him and was very weary of a new attempt by Louis XII. The Venetian ambassador Sagudino reported on October 1497 that the Italian ambassadors made a joint offer of 50,000 ducats a year to the Porte if the Turks attacked Venice.

02SforzaLudovico.jpg

The court of Milan was a quintessential Renaissance court. Here we can see Ludovico and Beatrice contemplating the work of Leonardo da Vinci, who worked for Ludovico between 1482 and 1499.
-------------------​

For the Ottoman Empire war was a necessity. Otherwise the rebellions and fights of the rival Janissaries and Sipahis could destabilize the Sultanate. The death of Jem released the last scruples of Bayezid to wage war against Italy, and he ordered the construction of a big fleet that would give him the necessary naval supremacy, on the excuse of fighting piracy in the Aegean, by then a pirate's heaven, both Christian and Muslim.

03bayezid2.jpg

Bayezid II was one of the least agressive sultans of the explendor era of the House of Osman, although part of it could be explained by the menace of his brother Jem in Christian hands. But the Ottoman Empire was a conquering machine that required to wage constant war to work properly.
-------------------​

There had been no official Venetian representative at the Porte since 1492, but Andrea Gritti, the wealthiest Venetian merchant there, was keeping his government well informed. During the summer of 1498, Ottoman naval activities proceeded at great pace, and the ports of Valona and Butrinto on the Adriatic were filled with workmen building ships and making munitions, and notorious pirates were being commissioned by the Porte to captain the ships. 15,000 azabs (irregular troops) and 24,000 oarsmen were enlisted.

The Christian nations of the West knew an assault was coming. The Knights of Rhodes, a likely target, thought their suspicions confirmed when their ambassador was not received by the Sultan, and purchased artillery and munitions from France and Venice, and ordered all knights to be in Rhodes by March of 1499. The people of Puglia (Apulia) feared a repetition of the Otranto massacre of 1480. Mustafa, the Sanjakbey of Valona, had requested the Sultan permission to attack Puglia with his fleet, and Bayezid had renewed his claim on Otranto. In this climate Taranto manifested that if she had to choose between Turkey and Naples, she preferred the former. However, Venice was the most vulnerable to a Turkish attack, and it is surprising that she prepared so little for the possibility.

Venice probably ignored the threat because of the successful war that Poles and Hungarians were waging against the Turks. In 1498, Bayezid II concluded a peace with king Vladislav of Hungary, concentrating his forces against the Poles. The defeat of the Poles and the peace reached with king Albert of Poland in July 1499, meant that Bayezid had his hands free against Venice.

While Andrea Gritti had given ample warning of the Turkish war preparations in 1498, the Republic had done little to prepare herself. The new ambassador Andrea Zancani signed a peace treaty with Bayezid on March 1499, but he had presented a treaty in Latin, which was not considered valid by the Turkish. Andrea Gritti already pointed this to him, but Zancani was not able to procure himself with one in Arabic.

04LouisXIIofFrance.jpg

Louis XII came to throne in France with the clear idea of avenging his previous defeat by Ludovico and make good his claim to Milan from his Visconti grandmother. Milan and her dependency, Genoa, were seeing as the key to Italy.
-------------------​

Meanwhile, Venice was distracted with the Terra Ferma affairs. Louis XII was preparing to make good his claim on Milan, and wanted to enlist the help of the main Italian powers, to avoid the mistakes of his cousin. Venice did not care about Ludovico Sforza of Milan, who had been on the opposite side of the Pisan war, and was seeing as unreliable by all. She was willing to put a price: Cremona and every Milanese territory east of the Adda river with exception of Lecco in exchange for Venetian recognition of Louis rights to Milan, her military help and 100,000 ducats. The treaty, signed on April 15, 1499 at Blois, included a clause recognizing Turkey as an enemy, and relieving Venice of her obligation to declare war to Milan in case of war against the Turks, while obliging France to help against them.

05Italy1492.jpg

Louis XII, smarter than Charles VIII, knew how to proceed in Italy. First isolate and conquer Milan, then proceed with Naples with Spanish acquiescence. All the meanwhile keeping the Pope and Venice on his side. It was a good plan, but his own mistakes and the refusal of his allies to let him take over Italy spoiled it.
-------------------​

This treaty, seen by some as the worst diplomatic mistake of Venice, was a perfect example of the Venetian realpolitiks that had her without a friend. However, she was not alone in making pacts with Louis and turning her sight towards the other side, accepting the demise of Milan as a "fait accomplit". The diplomatic offensive of Ludovico failed to find any support. Maximilian accepted his money but did nothing. His son Philip the Fair, ruler of the Low Countries befriended Louis. Fernando of Aragon was also willing to compromise with Louis. Naples, ravaged by war and prey to famine was sympathetic but could do nothing. Florence, despite Ludovico's help against Pisa, declared neutrality while secretly supporting the French. The marquis of Mantua, Francesco Gonzaga, accepted a condotta from Ludovico, but failed to fulfill his obligation. The support from Genoa and Savoy was won by Louis. Pope Alexander VI and Louis XII also made a pact: Louis purchased the annulment of his marriage to Jeanne of France to marry Anne of Brittany, and Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) obtained the hand of Charlotte d'Albretch, sister to the king of Navarra, and the duchy of Valentinois for his son Cesare Borgia who had just resigned his cardinalate. The neutrality of the Holy See to the annexation of Milan was part of the understanding.

06RodrigoBorgia.jpg

The Borja were the noblest family of Valencia, and Rodrigo was pushed into a church career on the steps of his uncle, Pope Calixtus III. As Pope Alexander VI, he continued his love for women and money and used the church as an instrument to advance his children's career. Although he has a black legend attached, he clearly marks one of the lowest points in the Papacy.
-------------------​