If you were hoping for EU V, you ll have to wait for at least two more years...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

merulaalba

Captain
59 Badges
Feb 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Wargamer is going down the drain, as least the coverage of digital wargames is concerned. But they somehow got Johann for an interview. So now we know that the plan for EU IV is to have at least two more years of DLCs, with two more DLCs, coming this year, and no big changes like in the case of Imperator and Marius update.

So, prepare for more manna sinks :(

• 3Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
It'll be interesting to see what regions they decide to update and "bring up them up to par". We know that the art team wanted to find out what regions need unit models, so I suspect that we might see some stuff for the Caucususes, Baltics, Scandinavia, and South America. I'm totally fine with few mechanical changes, as it allows me get better at the ones that already exist rahther than having to practically relearn the game from scratch every update.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hopefully future updates will be mostly based around content and bugfixes than forced mechanics. I would personally be perfectly fine with another few rounds of Immerson Packs, maybe bringing Africa, Persia, Scandinavia etc. "up to code", as it were. Heck, maybe if we're lucky we'll finally get a Spain update :p

What I don't want is more forced Expansions. If there is a real drive for a group of focused, themed, innovative mechanics then fine, make an expansion, but adding more buttons that do more of the same is a stale formula.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Beyond of updates to regions that need it I would like to see a balance patch, with all features added along the years, there is so much power creep in the game.

• 4Like
Reactions:
So, besides that being an incredibly uninteresting article, it doesn't say anything about two more years. It says "hopefully later this year". So it really only talks about The immediate future, as well as Johan indicating a lack of any definite plan anyway, beyond a likely 2 more expansions. No need to make things up.

As for the people wanting a focus on bug fixes: It's been said many times on this forum, including by Johan, that they have little interest in bug fix patches, as they don't expect those to sell well. They're probably right. They also obviously don't care about fixing features they sold us in the past.

Reactions:
So, besides that being an incredibly uninteresting article, it doesn't say anything about two more years. It says "hopefully later this year". So it really only talks about The immediate future, as well as Johan indicating a lack of any definite plan anyway, beyond a likely 2 more expansions. No need to make things up.

As for the people wanting a focus on bug fixes: It's been said many times on this forum, including by Johan, that they have little interest in bug fix patches, as they don't expect those to sell well. They're probably right. They also obviously don't care about fixing features they sold us in the past.
I wonder if they don't have anyone with a psychology background in PDX to tell them that not fixing bugs affects sales. "Lets not fix the problems in the car we're producing, it won't transfer into sales", it's so shortsighted. There's many other factors like company identification and brand loyalty that matter and do mean something monetarily. I'm frequently disappointed by PDX, they seem to have deeply rooted management issues.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I find it funny how he admids, that there is no plan, and that the team decides where to go. The need for making the game better should be first, then to get old mission trees on the detail of the new ones. Persia has 5 missions I think (dont know for shure but not more than that). It was a nation wich actually did something in that time period, not like malakka and the other nations with super missions. Byzantiums needs a reshape, same with the Ottomans, turkish Bejiks and the mamelucks. Not forgetting the Baltics, where the nothern most have 0 flavour in missions and no formable tag, I mean Sweden was more important than most nations for over a hundred years.
The last place would then be Africa, with the Iraq/caucasian region for new tags and details.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if they don't have anyone with a psychology background in PDX to tell them that not fixing bugs affects sales. "Lets not fix the problems in the car we're producing, it won't transfer into sales", it's so shortsighted. There's many other factors like company identification and brand loyalty that matter and do mean something monetarily. I'm frequently disappointed by PDX, they seem to have deeply rooted management issues.
Well, it might affect things long term, but in the short term their sales are obviously fine.
This is also the case with many larger game developers. Short term profits pretty much always seem to be prioritized. Customers, as a group, don't usually have very good long term memory. Also, even when gamers are OUTRAGED, they still buy the damn dlc, or at least enough of them do.

Though at the minimum, it would be nice if at LEAST they were accountable in some way for advertised features of paid dlc not working. But that just isn't going to happen.

Reactions:
I don't mind not getting any new mechanics. I just wish they would work on the AI so that it doesn't go thousands of ducats into debt without being at war, simply for mismanaging the economy. If the AI was able to expand properly then the late-game would be much more fun and even if you snowball into a large empire you would have to compete with other large empires.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Not surprising, seeing as it wasn't too long ago that Johan said that EU5 was not in works. It wasn't until few months ago that Johan finally started discussing his ideas for EU5, possibly due to I:R making it clear that community really hated certain design choices.

My reasons for wanting EU5 is simply that the AI has been stunningly incompetent for years and it's now clear that PDX is unable to get it working well again with the game. Which is somewhat understandable, given that we're not all that far off from this game being a DECADE old. But it makes me feel that it's time to move on. But the game is as popular as ever and DLCs are still selling so I suppose most people are at least somewhat happy with the state of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, you don't create a "EU team" without the intention of making a new EU game. But, as the team is just being made (only a year now) in a pandemic no less, it is pretty clear that the team isn't ready to make a new game yet. So it is not surprising that Johan want to focus to create more content for EU4 first. It is a good way to train the team so they can be ready to make EU5 while ensure EU4 keep generate constant flow of income. I personally think this year will be solely focus on making new DLCs and train the new team, while next year will be when they start to make EU5 with announcement at 2023 and release at either that same year or 2024. I remember reading several interviews where they mention that a Paradox game typically created in a year (except for HoI4 which take longer than intended), so when EU5 finally announced, we know it won't be too long.

Plus, there is very likely another GSG they want to release before another EU.

• 4Like
Reactions:
This forum is so depressing the last few months. Usually when I enjoy a game less I play a different game, EU4 is sooo much better than its predecessor and mods like Anbennar can completely renew the game. I just hope the next dlcs aren't Golden Century. Being mad Malacca gets a big mission tree when Persia isn't is just being mad your nation isn't front of the line. Persia did get a dlc before all the mission trees were popular and Persia got unique buttons and a brand new map set up.

I get wanting to complain to make the game better but people on this sub forum seem like in despair or distraught that the game is in disrepair or unplayable. Just take a tolerance break

• 12Like
Reactions:
If they don't think they can milk mechanics anymore they should just release several "Immersion Packs" about regions that aren't up to scratch like the Baltics, Scandinavia, the Caucasus, Africa, and South America.

I don't want them to be squeezing out more mana sinks for 2 years I want the content design and art team to fill out the map and for them to finally take this thing off life support.

I genuinely care much more about the content design work than I do about the mechanical aspects at this point.

Fix the jank in current mechanics. Integrate mechanics with each other. Integrate those mechanics more evenly and consistently. Re-visit old mission trees from when they had no idea what to do with the concept and bring them to a higher standard.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Very disappointing news. I don't believe in two DLC actually being released in one year, given how slow their development has been for the last few, so EU5 is probably more like 3-4 years away :(

• 2Like
Reactions:
IMO is good news: say what you want but I would like to have the Game finished (at least flavor-wise) before they bring EU5.

I mean EU5 could make sense in a lot of aspects, but It would take like 10 years to have as much flavor as EU4.

Reactions: