If you could change one little thing about HOI4, what would it be?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that logistic system need further development too. New system should be connected with trade and lend lease - resources and equipment should be transported by trains and convoys between capitals and use railway capability limiting supply distribution (no more import or land lease through Kamchatka or Himalayas…).

Also fuel distribution should be somehow connected with new logistic system. Game should require connection between capital or fuel silos and airbases or ports (operating taks force can get fuel only then if there is a supplied port in its range).​

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Tell my Allies to SODD OFF from my Frontline like you are able to do in a certain mod.

Nothing's better than having zero supply because allied divisions are flooding your frontlines.

Reactions:
If I may add another suggestion, and this may not be that little -- expand the Garrison system into a Sector system.

The Garrison system is so close right now to being a great system you can use both for offense and defense. Just put in those arrows that determine aggression level, expand on those so that they range from Full Retreat (disengage from all combat and use strat-move as much as possible) and Fighting Retreat (the current behaviour towards fallback lines), Hold the Line, and the aggressive settings that we currently have.

The way you set objectives can be used to make divisions prioritize what targets to attack -- for example if you want them to seize airfields and ports, or prioritize taking VPs. You could even maybe have separate buttons for what to prioritize seizing and defending - you may have airfields ahead you want to seize, and supply hubs behind you that you definitely do not want to lose, for example.

You could then add settings for which armies are allowed in each Sector, and also order the divisions assigned to a Sector to not leave them.

Oh, and then add some subtle notifications (not pop-ups, something more subtle the player is still bound to notice) like "Sector secured", "division driven out of Sector", "all objectives in Sector secured", etc. so that you can keep track.

Tell my Allies to SODD OFF from my Frontline like you are able to do in a certain mod.

Nothing's better than having zero supply because allied divisions are flooding your frontlines.
I've actually planned around this in several runs as Germany, and I can't be the only one. "How do I keep as many countries as possible from joining Axis so they don't flood my frontlines with supply-hungry troops?" .

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

This is being added in Barbarosa

The new supply system allows you to disallow AI allies in supply zones

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Garrison system is so close right now to being a great system you can use both for offense and defense. Just put in those arrows that determine aggression level, expand on those so that they range from Full Retreat (disengage from all combat and use strat-move as much as possible) and Fighting Retreat (the current behaviour towards fallback lines), Hold the Line, and the aggressive settings that we currently have.

The way you set objectives can be used to make divisions prioritize what targets to attack -- for example if you want them to seize airfields and ports, or prioritize taking VPs. You could even maybe have separate buttons for what to prioritize seizing and defending - you may have airfields ahead you want to seize, and supply hubs behind you that you definitely do not want to lose, for example.

Oh, and then add some subtle notifications (not pop-ups, something more subtle the player is still bound to notice) like "Sector secured", "division driven out of Sector", "all objectives in Sector secured", etc. so that you can keep track.

Love this idea- especially the notifications like "All Objectives in Sector Secured". It would be great if that that was an icon next to the army group, like the alerts for enemy air superiority and low supply.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Limit the either the total number of volunteers a country can send, or limit the total number of volunteers a country can send to members of a single faction. I know the new Soviet tree prevents the Soviets from sending divisions to every Chinese tag, but I also want to prevent Germany from sending volunteers to both Japan and Manchukuo.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Tweak the older focus trees so they specify what states to build in instead of picking them at random.

Worst offender for this is Haida Gwaii in Canada. A remote archipelago will get chockablock with dockyards, factories, and infrastructure while next door British Columbia is relatively undeveloped.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another obvious missing feature is this quote from Patton: "Brad, this time the Kraut has stuck his head in a meat grinder, and this time I've got hold of the handle."

It simply must be added to the game and if not Hearts of Iron IV is literally broken and unplayable.

• 7Haha
Reactions:
Slightly more independent chain of command. Go one step down to corps level. It is worth noting some of our go to generals like manstein started as corps commanders for more notable campaigns such as Case Yellow before becoming army commanders.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I love HOI4 and I have officially passed the rookie bar of 2k hours. With that said let's address the elephant in the room: If I could get 1 wish it would be to get a great AI to play versus.

If we release a nation or form a collaboration government, give us an option to keep any cores we have from said nation - for example, if I restore the HRE as Germany, I should be able to keep Savoy and Alsace-Lorraine if I decide to release France as a puppet so I can steal their manpower.

As for a small thing: Please add an indicator for when we are importing more resources than needed.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Not quite the same thing, but they're giving the ability to remove old templates and change the orders with NSB, so it will be much easier to organize them
I know, but I think is not enough, considering what with the recent terrain width changes there will be more template for facing various circumstances.

Better AI naval invasions D-Day was a turning point in WW2 but in the games current state its nearly impossible to lose to the sad attempts of the allies to take back the beaches as Germany
They did say that Barbarosa massively updated the naval invasion AI. I believe the way they described it was "so good we had to put artificial limiters on it"

They also said mods could easily adjust those limiters, so I suspect it's going to get rather scary

The ability to assign commanders to Fleets in the same manner as you can assign field Marshalls and army commanders to a front such as the Pacific or Atlantic or the Mediterranean zones.

• 1Like
Reactions: