• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deliberus

Banned
9 Badges
Jun 22, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
How hard will you rage?

Do you think Paradox will redo things as they did with Imperitor earlier this year?

Or do you think they'll chug along like Hoi 4?

• 3Like
Reactions:
How hard will you rage?

Do you think Paradox will redo things as they did with Imperitor earlier this year?

Or do you think they'll chug along like Hoi 4?
Its impossible, Imperator was a sequel for a game that only a minority wanted and then EU:Rome was a game that mixed different concepts and was never THAT popular in the first place.

Victoria is an already established game franchise with clear concepts and ideas, the only reason they could repeat the disastrous Imperator launch with the release of such a bad game would be that they simplified too many game mechanics to please the nu-gamers that want everything to be easy.

But if that happens we have a very talented modding community that can fix almost everything that is not hardcoded.

• 6Like
Reactions:
If it turns out like the launch of I:R, I'll probably do the same thing as I would if it's wildly successful: sit and wait a year or three until It's available from a source other than Steam. I only recently picked up I:R, when it became available from GOG, and still can't buy EU4 or CK3.

Reactions:
If it turns out like the launch of I:R, I'll probably do the same thing as I would if it's wildly successful: sit and wait a year or three until It's available from a source other than Steam. I only recently picked up I:R, when it became available from GOG, and still can't buy EU4 or CK3.
Why are you not interested on purchasing it from Steam?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why are you not interested on purchasing it from Steam?
Not a matter of "interest", a couple of practical considerations.

Many years back, I had a couple of games on Steam, and apparently one of them had its password hacked. Considering that I didn't let anyone else use my PC, was barely ever online, and hadn't even fired up that game recently, I can only assume that someone else either hacked Steam itself (it was done several times before they massively beefed up their security), or randomly guessed the code. My account was closed, all games lost, with no recourse or appeal. I will not deal with them again, even if I'm allowed to (which I'm not sure about after all this time).

Secondly, my gaming PC sits in the upper floor of a building without phone or internet access to the upper floors, and I don't even have Internet at home. Installing a game involves dragging the system down 2 flights of stairs, then down the street to wherever I had to park, so I can use the high-speed connection at work after hours. Having Steam decide to phone home to "verify" my game, or decide to download a multi-gigabyte update at an inconvenient time whether I like it or not, really won't cut it. I use GOG or Amazon for most of my downloads with no real problems, and used Gamersgate a few years back until they stopped carrying Paradox games.

Third, I'm appalled at the conduct of Steam in regard to the terms of its contracts with various game developers. Paradox is one of the reputable few developers using Steam who will actually allow criticism of Steam or posting of complaints without either banning the poster, deleting the post as soon as it's spotted, or moving the post to a confusingly titled thread in some forsaken corner of the miscellaneous forum where it will never be seen by human eyes again. If you've ever wondered why you don't see a lot of complaints about Steam, that has a lot to do with it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You guys make it sounds like 3 has been announced

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very unlikely this will happen. The primary problem for I:R was that it's a sequel to the worst PDS game that was also never allowed to be finished (thanks to its expansions being stolen by EU3 thanks to a forum poll). EU:R's fandom was also much smaller and not as sure what makes EU:R special (and what PDS got out of it, that it's a mix of several PDS games, led to several of Imperator's problems). Asa result, even the devs were unsure what Imperator was supposed to be like and was treated as a spinoff of EU, just like the predecessor was.

Victoria 1 and 2 were both very good games and everyone knows what makes them good, their fanbase is established, so the developers will have a better picture of what Victoria 3 is supposed to be like. That's no guarantee that it will have a good release, but if it's bad it's going to be a different sort of bad than Imperator's.

Reactions:
You mean if they make the game a mana management simulator? Yeah, I'd be pretty sad.
Hope they have learned something with Imperator's release at least.

But one step at a time, I'll worry about that when the game is actually announced.

Reactions:
Relax.

• 4Like
Reactions:
How hard will you rage?

I'm not expecting V3, as that game would make far too much sense for a company as confused as PDS is these days. Also, it's not clear that PDS in its present condition can even deliver a decent GSG, regardless of subject. However, if there were a V3, and I could be persuaded to give PDS money after all of their recent debacles, it would only be after at least two years had passed and I could be sure it was a quality game that they would continue to support on Macs (not just releasing it on Mac, collecting the money, and then abandoning support like they did to the I:R Mac userbase starting with 1.3). I hope they come to understand that you cannot treat your fans so poorly and still expect them to keep giving you money.

Reactions:
Its impossible, Imperator was a sequel for a game that only a minority wanted and then EU:Rome was a game that mixed different concepts and was never THAT popular in the first place.

Victoria is an already established game franchise with clear concepts and ideas, the only reason they could repeat the disastrous Imperator launch with the release of such a bad game would be that they simplified too many game mechanics to please the nu-gamers that want everything to be easy.

But if that happens we have a very talented modding community that can fix almost everything that is not hardcoded.
Who is working on it also matters. If the leak is true and it's Wiz then we should be able to breathe a sigh of relief, and if the people working on Imperator (most of who were studio veterans shuffled into the game to try to fix it and bring it back to life) were moved onto Vicky than all the better.

• 2Like
Reactions:
How hard will you rage?

Any chance of not-rage? Disappointment is understanbable but if you're already planning to be angry at something that doesn't exist yet then surely you can intervene at some point in this emotional process? Like maybe take a breath and look at how silly this all is to get so worked up about, and chill out a little. It might very well be bad, but it won't be so bad that it leaves you dead or homeless, so in the grand scheme of things you'll be okay.

• 3Like
Reactions: