If Land war ever receives MtG-like treatment, I look forward these things:

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DicRoNero

Oberst
35 Badges
May 13, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Equipment storage is removed. The only way to produce tanks or rifles or trucks is now to train a division, which automatically rolls all the required IC into one group under MICs assigned by the player to this particular division. Once 100% of the required IC is produced, the player may deploy a division, but can only do so by picking a city province tile.
  • If a better tank model becomes available during division training, it gets totally ignored until the division is actually deployed and then called back for reforming. Old tanks the division has had are dumped into a swamp with no way to be re-utilized ever again.
  • Divisions now have special missions to operate with. In particular, should the player want his divisions to fight enemy ones, he now specifically needs to set them to one of the ‘combat’ missions, as opposed to i.e. a trench digging one (no mission? No trenches, then).
  • Division combat missions allow engaging enemy Armored divisions or Infantry ones, but never both.
  • As one might have guessed, encircling an enemy city tile with your divisions packed in each neighboring tile doesn’t necessarily mean the enemy can’t sneak through – you simply might have had no divisions assigned to engage specifically that Cavalry.
  • Supplies always get through via seemingly hostile territory unless the enemy has assigned a proper number of divisions to Caravan Robbing (another new type of mission, mostly meant to stretch one’s army thin and keep him busy switching orders back and forth).
  • Armored Divisions assigned to Caravan Robbing are particularly prone to receiving critical hits rendering Tanks quite useless – something that simply never happens to Cavalry which overwhelms Caravans by sheer persuasion (which albeit takes time).
  • Generals upon hiring may now get an extra trait, which does nothing. Or rather, this trait has semi-intelligent description and is probably even supported by code, but there’s no way the player should be able to use this trait ever.
  • Divisions stationed far at the North receive attrition damage, which gradually wears them down. Being stationed at a seemingly city tile changes nothing, and attrition damage is still in place.
  • Divisions can now be targeted by Air Strikes outside land combat. In that case, an instant battle occurs, and specifically the most expensive battalion with least AA is hit first. Also, if there’s a friendly Airwing attached to the Army this division belongs to, the Airwing does nothing.
  • The player gets a nicely sounding notification each time, though.
  • A whole bunch of new land technologies is introduced, and there’s a separate line meant to boost Army Morale via technologies like Underwear Washing, Regular Underwear Change and Automated Underwear Washing, with tech names completely ignoring that all of these were in fact known long before the game starting date.
  • Colorized land combat counters are removed. Instead, there’s a generic notification LAND COMBAT IN PROGRESS, which is meant to be clicked and checked each 5 seconds tops lest something bad happens to your Maus-equipped elite SS division
  • Should we say that notifications don’t distinguish between divisions engaged in actual Combat and mere Caravan Robbing?

Last edited:
  • 13Haha
  • 6Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
  • Equipment storage is removed. The only way to produce tanks or rifles or trucks is now to train a division, which automatically rolls all the required IC into one group under MICs assigned by the player to this particular division. Once 100% of the required IC is produced, the player may deploy a division, but can only do so by picking a city province tile.
  • If a better tank model becomes available during division training, it gets totally ignored until the division is actually deployed and then called back for reforming. Old tanks the division has had are dumped into a swamp with no way to be re-utilized ever again.
  • Divisions now have special missions to operate with. In particular, should the player want his divisions to fight enemy ones, he now specifically needs to set them to one of the ‘combat’ missions, as opposed to i.e. a trench digging one (no mission? No trenches, then).
  • Division combat missions allow engaging enemy Armored divisions or Infantry ones, but never both.
  • As one might have guessed, encircling an enemy city tile with your divisions packed in each neighboring tile doesn’t necessarily mean the enemy can’t sneak through – you simply might have had no divisions assigned to engage specifically that Cavalry.
  • Supplies always get through via seemingly hostile territory unless the enemy has assigned a proper number of divisions to Caravan Robbing (another new type of mission, mostly meant to stretch one’s army thin and keep him busy switching orders back and forth).
  • Armored Divisions assigned to Caravan Robbing are particularly prone to receiving critical hits rendering Tanks quite useless – something that simply never happens to Cavalry which overwhelms Caravans by sheer persuasion (which albeit takes time).
  • Generals upon hiring may now get an extra trait, which does nothing. Or rather, this trait has semi-intelligent description and is probably even supported by code, but there’s no way the player should be able to use this trait ever.
  • Divisions stationed far at the North receive attrition damage, which gradually wears them down. Being stationed at a seemingly city tile changes nothing, and attrition damage is still in place.
  • Divisions can now be targeted by Air Strikes outside land combat. In that case, an instant battle occurs, and specifically the most expensive battalion with least AA is hit first. Also, if there’s a friendly Airwing attached to the Army this division belongs to, the Airwing does nothing.
  • The player gets a nicely sounding notification each time, though.
  • A whole bunch of new land technologies is introduced, and there’s a separate line meant to boost Army Morale via technologies like Underwear Washing, Regular Underwear Change and Automated Underwear Washing, with tech names completely ignoring that all of these were in fact known long before the game starting date.
  • Colorized land combat counters are removed. Instead, there’s a generic notification LAND COMBAT IN PROGRESS, which is meant to be clicked and checked each 5 seconds tops lest something bad happens to your Maus-equipped elite SS division
  • Should we say that notifications don’t distinguish between divisions engaged in actual Combat and mere Caravan Robbing?

There's a lot to pick apart here
1) No. While it does harken back to HoI3, the production model for HOI4 is a step forward. Not sure why it also has to be a city tile, a division can be assembled anywhere, not just a city. Literally you need is someone to get the trucks, tanks, rifle etc to the assembly area, wherever that may be which may not always be a city.
2) This is not how military units get new equipment. Sometimes they may be pulled to the rear get it, but sometimes they get it at the front. And the old equipment isn't just "dumped in a swamp." I'm sure you've heard of the M3 Lee/Grant Tank which was used by the British in North Africa. Want to know where they were still used by the Allies after they were largely replaced by the Sherman? In Burma. In fact you can find photos of M3's being used in Burma in 1944/45 when the war is ending. Or even the Germans with pulling tanks that were replaced by newer models. IE using older Tiger I models that were replaced by newer ones with fewer or no problems. They did not simply dump them in a swamp
3) A division doesn't need to be told to dig in. I'm in the military and you know what we do in the field when we got nothing to do and got going on? We dig in. It's called position improvement and it never ends. You are always improving your position no matter what. To simply state that division don't dig in unless ordered shows ignorance of basic military operations.
4) Why would you assume divisions can't engage multiple types at the same time when this in fact did happen and when doctrine encourages combined arms warfare.
5) I'm confused by this bullet. You want the division in the encircled city to be able to sneak out? That's not really a thing, especially with a division sized force, let alone multiple divisions. I would also recommend you watch Military History Visaulized's video on German Doctrine during WW2 for breaking out when encircled.
6) Armies do not have caravans, they have supply convoys. These can already be affected by the resistance and by infrastructure bombing. Better idea would be to have land convoys that use the truck equipment and train equipment which can then be interdicted and destroyed by the resistance and by aircraft.
7) Why would armored forces be chewed up by vulnerable supply columns of logistical troops lacking heavy weapons
8) Why is this trait needed and what does it do
9) Why even assuming a good supply situation?
10) This is good as air strikes should not happen only with land combat. But to remove the ability for fighters to still intercept the ground attacking aircraft is stupid. There's a reason the Germans could never do that on the western front, and it's because the Allied Air Power would destroy their ground attacking aircraft because they had overwhelming air superiority. I guess the Allies hacked the matrix simulation for WW2.
11) Leave the counters alone
12) Caravan robbing is not a thing, this is industrialized warfare, not the middle ages.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
1) No. While it does harken back to HoI3, the production model for HOI4 is a step forward. Not sure why it also has to be a city tile, a division can be assembled anywhere, not just a city. Literally you need is someone to get the trucks, tanks, rifle etc to the assembly area, wherever that may be which may not always be a city.
2) This is not how military units get new equipment. Sometimes they may be pulled to the rear get it, but sometimes they get it at the front. And the old equipment isn't just "dumped in a swamp." I'm sure you've heard of the M3 Lee/Grant Tank which was used by the British in North Africa. Want to know where they were still used by the Allies after they were largely replaced by the Sherman? In Burma. In fact you can find photos of M3's being used in Burma in 1944/45 when the war is ending. Or even the Germans with pulling tanks that were replaced by newer models. IE using older Tiger I models that were replaced by newer ones with fewer or no problems. They did not simply dump them in a swamp
3) A division doesn't need to be told to dig in. I'm in the military and you know what we do in the field when we got nothing to do and got going on? We dig in. It's called position improvement and it never ends. You are always improving your position no matter what. To simply state that division don't dig in unless ordered shows ignorance of basic military operations.
4) Why would you assume divisions can't engage multiple types at the same time when this in fact did happen and when doctrine encourages combined arms warfare.
5) I'm confused by this bullet. You want the division in the encircled city to be able to sneak out? That's not really a thing, especially with a division sized force, let alone multiple divisions. I would also recommend you watch Military History Visaulized's video on German Doctrine during WW2 for breaking out when encircled.
6) Armies do not have caravans, they have supply convoys. These can already be affected by the resistance and by infrastructure bombing. Better idea would be to have land convoys that use the truck equipment and train equipment which can then be interdicted and destroyed by the resistance and by aircraft.
7) Why would armored forces be chewed up by vulnerable supply columns of logistical troops lacking heavy weapons
10) This is good as air strikes should not happen only with land combat. But to remove the ability for fighters to still intercept the ground attacking aircraft is stupid. There's a reason the Germans could never do that on the western front, and it's because the Allied Air Power would destroy their ground attacking aircraft because they had overwhelming air superiority. I guess the Allies hacked the matrix simulation for WW2.
12) Caravan robbing is not a thing, this is industrialized warfare, not the middle ages.

I think the point he’s trying to make is he doesn’t like MtG’s naval rework. That being said I don’t know enough about naval mechanics (besides 5 destroyers for patrol squads and a ratio of 8? Destroyers per capital ship and no more than 4 ACs a doomstack) to really have opinions either way

• 3Haha
Reactions:
He is taking the piss out of man the guns and a lot of the dumb design choices they did

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
A lot of this isn't actually relevant to the MtG rework and is instead how naval stuff worked long before

But you forgot a few key points:

1.) The ideal heavy tank design has one of the smallest cannon you can mount and as many machine guns as possible
2.) The ideal medium tank has at least three turrets
3.) The ideal light tank doesn't even have a main gun
4.) Heavy tanks need to be screened by light or medium tanks and take double damage from aircraft, tank destroyers, and anti-tank guns if they aren't screened with other lighter tanks
5.) You can only put two factories per line on heavy or super-heavy tanks

• 10Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
We also need to ability to create a special camouflaged tank that can't be spotted by other tanks once you research tank hull IV. This tank should be able to kill much more expensive tanks with ease and even be difficult to kill with tanks specially designed to counter it. Since its a small stealth tank it will also be cheaper than all other types of tanks.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
All my life I've been waiting for a WWII game that would simulate the dire need for underwear washing. Wake up Sheeple! Paradox doesn't want you or your armies to change your underwear! It's like they never cared about underwear at all!

• 2Haha
Reactions:
A lot of this isn't actually relevant to the MtG rework and is instead how naval stuff worked long before

But you forgot a few key points:

1.) The ideal heavy tank design has one of the smallest cannon you can mount and as many machine guns as possible
2.) The ideal medium tank has at least three turrets
3.) The ideal light tank doesn't even have a main gun
4.) Heavy tanks need to be screened by light or medium tanks and take double damage from aircraft, tank destroyers, and anti-tank guns if they aren't screened with other lighter tanks
5.) You can only put two factories per line on heavy or super-heavy tanks

I'm just picturing the invasion of France with an army of Wirbelwinds surrounded by Panzer Is, blasting through tanks like the Char B1 or Matilda II.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
All my life I've been waiting for a WWII game that would simulate the dire need for underwear washing. Wake up Sheeple! Paradox doesn't want you or your armies to change your underwear! It's like they never cared about underwear at all!
A lot of people like to talk about how the 262 or STG44 were war-changing weapons, but often gloss over the wünderwasher project, a highly mobile washing machine that could keep up with the fastest units and wash a battalion's worth of underwear in less than an hour.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
A lot of people like to talk about how the 262 or STG44 were war-changing weapons, but often gloss over the wünderwasher project, a highly mobile washing machine that could keep up with the fastest units and wash a battalion's worth of underwear in less than an hour.
"God save us all from Jerry's Wunderwascher Project"

-Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I feel bad for the guy who wrote an essay to point-by-point debate against a clearly satirical post.
The first two points were how HoI2 produced and upgraded divisions so I was wondering. then we got to caravan robbing:

1616386647335.png

I should have known better than to expect the OP to have anything constructive to say.

Reactions:
We also need to ability to create a special camouflaged tank that can't be spotted by other tanks once you research tank hull IV. This tank should be able to kill much more expensive tanks with ease and even be difficult to kill with tanks specially designed to counter it. Since its a small stealth tank it will also be cheaper than all other types of tanks.
I assume you are referring to the infamous German Panzer Land Shark.

• 1Like
Reactions:
While you're technically correct, from my perspective devs/managers leaving that stuff fully intact and rather creating several quite complicated systems (ship designer, brand new spotting) from the scratch means them being very happy with what was left over; hence they might as well transplant that to other military branches to keep/make the game both consistent and good.