• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jaspume

Colonel
73 Badges
Oct 30, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
In this AAR, I will be playing Burgundy, land of wine and beauty. Occasionally, I'll slip into a sort of "journal entry" narrative, mainly in the battles, but mostly I shall simply be reporting the battles and experiences of the game.

So, what are my goals?

1) Firstly, to defeat france. That means taking all of it's European holdings.
2) Second, become a large power in europe. This hopefully will be achieved at the same time as the first.

These secondary goals are those I'd like to achieve, but are by no means necessary:

1) Stop the formation of germany, so at least taking some of those key provinces.
2) Defeat England, as with france, this means taking their 'old world' holdings.

Bare in mind however, that these goals are not set in stone, and are subject to change, as anyone who looked at my Castille AAR will know. ;)

The year we begin is 1453. Let the AAR begin...

First, we sorted out our advisors, deciding upon two devoted to stability and one to land technology.

EU3_218.png

And we move a slider toward innovative, stirring the populace.

EU3_220.png

Our provinces are split in two, this can't continue. We begin preperations for the annexation of Lorraine.

EU3_221.png

EU3_222.png

A new king is crowned, Lord Louis-Joseph I, and the discovery of a remarkable artist, Gilles Binchois, produces 3 stability for Burgundy. We also send more merchants to Ils De France, resulting in 5 successful hits. We now have 4 merchants in our own COT, and 5 in france.

Concerned that a combat with france was not within Burgundian capabilities, an alliance with Aragon was secured. Should the french start a war, they would find opposition on two fronts.

And, in september 1454, a new national idea was founded, the bill of rights.

----

From the diary of Guillame Dufray:

"September the second, 1454. A momentous occasion for the peasantry of fair burgundy. All men laid down their tools and joined the celebrations. No less than a hundred of us drank dry the local tavern, and yet more have arrived there for drink! Were it not for my commission by Lady Alonso, I would have a pint in my hand now. Oh glorious nobles, they wear their sadness as obvious as their velvet robes, yet they lock themselves away in their golden halls and crystal vaults. Still, 'tis a glorious achievement, king Louis has done his subjects a great deed."

----

Some time without seeing a Bourgundian AAR, nice goals and I'll be following, good luck!

Burgundy is a interesting choice - a nation between Austria and Neustria, or German and France. Have fun killing anything before it moves, will be hard. :cool:

Always when I play Burgundy the king Philippe III dies quickly. :confused:
And why does the burgundian king have always a french or german name? Have they forgotten their old barbaric names?
Lothar would sound better than Charles Leopold or Lois Philippe. :rofl:

Minarchist said:
I absolutely love the title :)
WIth a title like that, it's got to be read.

Geoffrey said:
WIth a title like that, it's got to be read.
Minarchist said:
I absolutely love the title :)
spl said:
Same here, good luck with those French.

I just hope the AAR is as good as the title. ;)

Capibara said:
Some time without seeing a Bourgundian AAR, nice goals and I'll be following, good luck!
tcnc said:
Ah, another gameplay AAR - my favorite kind! I love Burgundy as well, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks! Gameplay AARs are a favourite of mine too, I just hope I can do okay.

t0m said:
so have you finished your Castille AAR?

I'm afraid so, I've explained why there.

Enewald said:
Burgundy is a interesting choice - a nation between Austria and Neustria, or German and France. Have fun killing anything before it moves, will be hard.

Always when I play Burgundy the king Philippe III dies quickly. :confused:
And why does the burgundian king have always a french or german name? Have they forgotten their old barbaric names?

:D I too find that strange, although it's understandable given where Burgundy lies. Philippe does tend to be rather short lived... Hope you enjoy the AAR.

Update may or may not come tonight, afterall it's new years eve! (Well here in england anyway)

Happy new year everyone. ;)

Sliders are set toward Land and Production, and we send a gift to the English to aid them in their war with France. We've got money to spend, but 44 ducats? :mad: Ah well.

We begin our campaign against the german nations...

EU3_235.png

Thankfully England puts those 44 ducats to good use, this is the first time I've ever seen them winning the war.

EU3_236.png

Gascogne looks to be in trouble though.

Times certainly are a changing, Aragon is growing!

EU3_237.png

Is Castille growing weak already?

Unfortunately, our offer to Lorraine of vassalisation is met with hostility. Better luck next time I guess.

And the presence of my troops at french borders seems to have riled them a little..

EU3_239.png

We accept a royal marriage from france. I know, I know, why make it harder for me to declare war? Well, I figured taking some german provinces will give me the boost I need to match french power. Well, it'll boost it at least. So I'd rather have the french kept away from Burgundian doors untill I'm ready.

Finally, Lorraine takes a wise route.

EU3_241.png

And we begin our conquest of Liege and Bremen..

EU3_243.png

-----

Taken from the Diary of our good king Louis-Joseph I:

"Today, Burgundy begins her glorious conquest. We have beauty and power, they have ignorance and stupidity. What nation who defies the rule of our elegant Burgundy could stand before our marching boots, our glittering swords and indominatable faith? None. These fools face death, make no mistake dear subjects."

I always thought that Burgundy could have gone far with a few changes from our history,.... it's very interesting.

good luck. :)

The second army, lead at the head by the king himself, assaulted the defensive forces at Liege from the north. The first army engaged them in the rear, and they were quickly routed. Liege was soon assaulted and besieged, quickly falling to the invasion. Liege was annexed and Bremen could do nothing but watch and fume.

EU3_245.png

EU3_246.png

EU3_247.png

Quick to take advantage of the relative vulnerability of the german nations, king Louis moves against Cologne and its allies; Trier and Munster. The king leads the second army into the heart of Cologne itself, it's capital Koln, while the first army moves to beseige the capital of Trier.

EU3_249.png

A defensive force comprised of men from Trier and Munster oppose the invasion, and an army from Lorraine has aleady begun the assault, however they are lacking in manpower. The first army reinforces them and provides Gen. Fent with the numbers he needs to overwhelm the defenders.

EU3_250.png

King Louis however finds no opposition at Koln. Most of Colognes forces have moved against Burgundy, besieging newly annexed Liege. Reluctant to redirect any forces from what could be vital sieges, Louis orders the recruitment of several regiments of mercenary cavalry to seek out hostile forces in Burgundy and rout them. Their orders are to break the siege at Liege.

EU3_251.png

Lorraine reinforces the mercenaries with 10,000 infantry and neary 2,000 cavalry, quite the large army for a small country. Cologne stood little chance.

EU3_252.png

After their victory, Gen. Eustache de Rochechouart (Fancy!) is assigned to the mercenary army to enhance their capabilities. They immediately move against the besieging forces at Breda. Liege is quickly besieged again. Were it not for the condition of Breda's defences, they would have returned to Liege to engage them. However, you can no doubt see that the condtion of Breda's defences are of much more concern than those of Liege.

EU3_254.png

Trier then sends a diplomatic insult to us. The stupidity of this astounds me to the time of writing.

EU3_255.png

----

Louis-Joseph I:

"What cheek! The king of Trier, locked within the high halls of his castle thinks it wise to insult our fair country! Even now, his walls tumble down and his soldiers lie dead in the streets, diseases and rats gnawing at the corpses and the living. The siege of Trier is coming to a close, and with no men to defend himself, the king lashes out with his tongue. One day, I sware, we shall rip it from his mouth."

Nice moves in Germany, you'll certainly make a quick expansion there.

Wow, nice to see England winning

Jaspume: ...However, you can no doubt see that the condtion of Breda's defences are of much more concern than those of Liege.

actually, i don't see it. what am i to look for ? ?

excellent start ! !
:cool:

GhostWriter said:
actually, i don't see it. what am i to look for ? ?

In the second to last screenshot on the last update, there's a box on the upper right of the screen. In one section of it, there's a hostile sieges section, and it has two names and percentages, Breda (50%) and Liege (0%). A hostile siege that's 50% complete is not good. :(

Thanks for reading!

rcduggan said:
I always thought that Burgundy could have gone far with a few changes from our history,.... it's very interesting.

good luck. :)

Fjj said:
good title... :rofl:

Thanks. ;)

t0m said:
wow really good, i do lover your AARs, i was sad to see the Castile one canceled but this is even better, keep up the good work!

Thanks, I was dissapointed to, I was enjoying it myself. Hopefully I can make some headway with this though...

Capibara said:
Nice moves in Germany, you'll certainly make a quick expansion there.

Wow, nice to see England winning

jambojojnes said:
Cool,this is also my first time watching the french have their asses handed too them by the english. :p

I like the title,great start.

Thanks, I was surprised to see England winning too. I expect they may just settle for a white peace though.

Update will be coming later, perhaps tonight.

Enewald said:
AAnd why does the burgundian king have always a french or german name? Have they forgotten their old barbaric names?
Because de dukes of Burgundy are French.
Phillipe II, 4th son of the king of France gets the Duchy of Burgondy in 1363.
Having married the daughter of the count of Flanders, he gets the county of Flanders when his stepfather dies (1384). From then on, the succeeding dukes will increase their possession until you can see it in 1453 as the game begins.
So, basically the ruling family in Burgundy IS french.
You may see Burgundy as 'the other France' or 'the alternate France'.

Jaspume: In the second to last screenshot on the last update, there's a box on the upper right of the screen. In one section of it, there's a hostile sieges section, and it has two names and percentages, Breda (50%) and Liege (0%). A hostile siege that's 50% complete is not good. :(

got it ! ! THANKS ! ! :cool: