If it is going to be Rome 2, how similar will it be to EU4?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EducatedWebby

Recruit
79 Badges
May 17, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
As it looks like people are more convinced that the new game announcement will be Rome 2 i was wondering what sort of game was EU:Rome and how does it compare to EU4?

I’ve never played EU:Rome but have put a lot of hours into EU4. Are they similar games and so Rome 2 may be similar to EU4?

As it looks like people are more convinced that the new game announcement will be Rome 2 i was wondering what sort of game was EU:Rome and how does it compare to EU4?

I’ve never played EU:Rome but have put a lot of hours into EU4. Are they similar games and so Rome 2 may be similar to EU4?
Who is supposed to answer this?

People that have played both ROME and EU4?

Just wanted to see how similar EU:Rome and EU4 are so that I can sort of see what to expect from a Rome 2 game if there is going to be one

Last edited:
Wait to tomorrow instead. Assuming it will be anything like EU: Rome could be wrong, especially since EU: Rome was a spinnoff game to EU.

People that have played both ROME and EU4?

Just wanted to see how similar EU:Rome and EU4 are so that I can sort of see what to expect from a Rome 2 game if there is going to be one
EU:Rome does not mash well with "easy spelling" hint. Assuming the new game is rebranded SPQR or similar the gameplay itself might be drastically different from EU:Rome.

Assume nothing yet, wait for first screenshots.

EU:Rome does not mash well with "easy spelling" hint. Assuming the new game is rebranded SPQR or similar the gameplay itself might be drastically different from EU:Rome.

Very true, but my point being that ‘if’ it is to be a game set in the Roman Republic/Empire timeframe then surely looking at the last game they’ve made during that period is a good as place as any to see what may come next

So if EU:R was a spinoff to EU then it could be a lot like EU4 as that is the current one?

EU: Rome came out around EU3. It was similar in some ways but very different in others. If anything, it was a little like an EU-CK hybrid as characters played a bigger role than in EU. There were a lot of things from EU3 that weren't included in Rome and maybe a slight lack of other defining features, making it a little bland. But overall it felt like its own game rather than a reskinned EU3.

I will be really happy with an antiquity game but if the name really is SPQR I might be bummed out a bit. I'm really hoping the scope of the game spans the whole old world including China but calling the game SPQR for a game that also includes China would be a bit eurocentric I guess. Personally I was more hoping for a game called ancient empires or Imperia antiqua or something like that but the easy spelling hint kinda killed that idea. It would be perfect for a game including the Roman, hellenistic, indian, chinese and parthian empires though.

EU: Rome came out around EU3. It was similar in some ways but very different in others. If anything, it was a little like an EU-CK hybrid as characters played a bigger role than in EU. There were a lot of things from EU3 that weren't included in Rome and maybe a slight lack of other defining features, making it a little bland. But overall it felt like its own game rather than a reskinned EU3.

A EU/CK hybrid again would be great! Considering that what EU lacks is good rp in terms of characters while this is CKs best strength it could borrow a lot from EU but still a great game. Hopefully if it is a Rome game they will go down that path again!

Maybe the easy spelling is because the name is a date? Something like 0 CE (I'd say 0 AD but that is name taken already), or 300? or 1000 BC ...

I was thinking about that, perhaps just B.C.?

Allthough that probably is a bit limited to describe the game. I feel SPQR or Rome would only fit for a Roman centric game which would be a mild disapointment. I'd really love to see India, China and the Middle east as interesting theatres of the game in its own right

It isn't as though the Victoria games are centered around Queen Victoria.

I guess that's true. Europea Universalis also features nations outside of Europe I guess. It would just feel a bit weird to play a game called SPQR that include the Han empire. For me a bit weirder then the name of Victoria for a world wide game in the 19th century.

A well, let's see tomorrow (or perhaps today if anybody can snatch a pic of Johan's t-shirt, allthough that's mostly one of his more priminent trolling devices)

I guess that's true. Europea Universalis also features nations outside of Europe I guess. It would just feel a bit weird to play a game called SPQR that include the Han empire. For me a bit weirder then the name of Victoria for a world wide game in the 19th century.

A well, let's see tomorrow (or perhaps today if anybody can snatch a pic of Johan's t-shirt, allthough that's mostly one of his more priminent trolling devices)

Just as weird as a game called 'Crusader kings' features Europe, West Asia, Central Asia, India, North Africa etc?
It's just a name.

"Pax Romana", perhaps?

Easy to spell... yeah. How many people know how to spell Pax Romana? What does 'packs' even mean? And is 'Romanna' the sister of Rihanna? Packs Romanna is a strange name

Hopefully not at all, EU4 is by far their worst game, but then again they have Johan in charge so it may end up being more similar than I would like.

As for name I would go with Kratistos: Only the Strongest Can rule the world. Doesn't ft the clues though.

Last edited:
Just as weird as a game called 'Crusader kings' features Europe, West Asia, Central Asia, India, North Africa etc?
It's just a name.

You do make a pretty good point allthough I seem to remember reading some complaining from PDS about the name CK2 precisely for that reason. Hence my feeling that it would be weird for them to make the same mistake again with this 'new' IP set in antiquity. That being said Romans are allways popular and it really can't hurt to give your game a clear association with tham.

Allthough HAN is also easy to spell ;-)

You do make a pretty good point allthough I seem to remember reading some complaining from PDS about the name CK2 precisely for that reason. Hence my feeling that it would be weird for them to make the same mistake again with this 'new' IP set in antiquity. That being said Romans are allways popular and it really can't hurt to give your game a clear association with tham.

Allthough HAN is also easy to spell ;-)
No bards in China though - for me the latest hint, is a fairly definite indication that its not an Asia game