• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rimland

Corporal
Aug 8, 2009
Hey lads,

Just thought I´d bring this issue up as it caught my interest. Which government ideology you think better suits the UK Conservative Party - social conservative or market liberal?

Now I know this one seems fairly obvious and the fact is that those few elections the UK gets in the game (1945, 51, 55 and 59 I think) give you an SC ideology if you choose the Tories (whose ministers are also all SC). However, the UK also starts as ML under a Tory government and Churchill´s appointment via event gives you a ML ideology as well.

I´d assume that the ideological difference is to reflect the actual "postwar consensus" adopted by the Conservatives, but that´s just an assumption...

The main reason why I´m bringing this up is cause recently I´ve applied the modified UK (and US) election events from SMEP and I´ve noticed that they change all the Tory governments between 1940-1951 (the Arma period isn´t covered) into market liberal (assuming you´re fully democratic that is).

So, for those of you who like digging in the ideological aspects of the game, do you think it´s appropriate to have different ideologies reflecting the pre-war and postwar policy of the Tory party, or just one? Either way, which one(s) and when? :laugh:

Also, the Labour ministers are all SD and the ideology constantly SL. Any thoughts on that? :)

Cheers

As the person who wrote the SMEP elections, I simply didn't like what the original Arma game did to the Conservative and Labour parties. The Conservatives were all SC, and Labour all SD.
It made the possibility of a wartime coalition harder as if you are SC you can't pick SL or SD ministers.
So I went through the list and made some Conservatives Market Liberal and some Social Conservative. And the election results are usually SL for Labour and ML for the Conservatives. I think Labour would be more SD at times, but leaving them as SL ideology with some SD ministers I think works too.

It was also partially driven by what you can and can't pick as ministers under different ideologies. It's why I introduced (which the base game copied) an SD version of George VI (When his only ideology was ML, if you moved to SD the game would get rid of him and put Bevan in instead).