• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 10, 2020
-- Some more Origins, like the ones that were never fully developed

-- Some new random events, relics and stories to go with them, and similar events.

-- A.I. controlled empires that are Megacorps are forced to play as 'Tall Empires' instead of like regular 'Wide Empires', which in my opinion makes more sense.

-- The ability to change the planet type of the Life Seeded Gaia Homeworld. It can be the paradise background but can be changed to any of the other nine planet types but with an improved and serene landscape. For example, the Arctic Gaia world can be at night time with shooting stars going overhead. The Arctic layout would also be different. A serene winter wonderland basically. Each planet type would look very unique if chosen as a Gaia world for the Life Seeded Origin. Random Gaia worlds in the galaxy would still be the default paradise world.

-- One of the new events that I would like to see added is a Rise of the Undead event. Yes, zombies. The event has a very small chance to take place on any colonized world after any amount of time has passed. This event cannot happen on a Homeworld. I'm not sure how the zombies would rise initially. My vote is for (Psionic?) Necromancers that can raise the dead...somehow. At first, a few citizens from the colony will report the undead walking around. They are dismissed as crazy and probably saw some drunk wandering around in the plains/valley. After a certain amount of time has passed, more citizens are reporting that the dead are walking around. Most dismiss this claims while a few believe the colony leadership should investigate. After another certain amount of time has passed, a massive Undead Assault Army will spawn and will most likely defeat the Defense Army of the colony and take over the colony unless the colony has a large enough Defense Army to go toe to toe with the undead hordes.

Now that the Undead have taken over the colony and have moved into the Defense Army slot, the player can choose to take back the colony or let it stay as an undead apocalyptic nightmare. A special type of planetary view can be seen while the undead are in control of the planet and a post-apocalyptic colony can be scene. An empire with robot infantry can take the planet back without adding to the population of the undead but not all players will have robot pops and infantry due to civic choices and/or just not wanting robots in their empire and they will have to make difficult choices to take the colony back while risking the destruction of the colony with any obital bombarments as the colony does not take damage anymore once the undead have taken over and also risks adding to the undead population count as the undead cannot reproduce (obviously) but for every ten organic beings killed, one undead is added. Unique units on the planet can be converted to the Undead ranks if killed by the Undead, for example: Titanic Beast --> Undead Titanic Beast.

-- A fully fleshed out Spy and Espionage expansion with some new traits, new regular and Megacorp civics, and a new Advisor Voice. However, the biggest additions would be to the actual gameplay. A new building can be constructed after researching the correct technology. This new spy agency building can produce one spy and one additional spy per building upgrade. There can only be one spy agency per inhabited planet. A spy can be chosen from the Leaders tab and can be sent into another empire's territory to go to any colony or habitat even if the borders are closed. Once the spy is in another empire's colony/habitat, the spy can do a few clandestine missions if the target empire is friendly/allied, a few different missions if the target empire is more neutral, and several missions if the target empire is an enemy. This includes assassinating leaders (scientists, governors, generals, admirals, and even the empire's leader). Each mission chosen will come with some mission options during the duration of a mission. Possible missions can be a simple hack to temporarily shut down the colony's energy supply or an assassination mission with carefully planted evidence and erased security footage to make it look like another neighboring empire was the culprit. If relations between the two other empires are bad enough, the player could start a war between the two other empires over false evidence.

The default mission of the spy in another empire's territory is revealing everything on the inhabited planet and that solar system. This mission is on going and doesn't need to be selected as it just happens forever until a new mission has started, the spy is moved, the spy is caught and must escape, the spy is killed, or the spy dies of other causes. If another mission is undertaken by the spy, the revealed planet and solar system is no longer revealed as the spy is now focused on another task.

Assigning a spy to a world will take a month for them to set up their base of operations and there is a chance the spy could get caught during this time. The difficulty is based off of the target planet's military presence and any counter-espionage happening on the target planet. Homeworlds are the hardest by default in addition to any military and/or counter-espionage presence to not get caught on when infiltrating a planet. If caught, there is a chance the spy could be killed or flee back to the player's territory. Regardless of being killed or captured, one of the player's spies being caught in another empire's territory will decrease opinion of the player's empire from the empire the spy was caught in. Every mission that can be done has a chance to be caught and that chance varies on the difficulty of the mission.

A spy assigned to one of the player's own colonized worlds can only operate as a counter-espionage agent that can heighten the chances of finding any spies from other empires on that planet. The buildings on Starbases known as Deep Space Black Site and the Listening Post can each slightly help increase the chance of finding foreign spies on a colony but placing a spy to do counter-espionage will increase the chance the most.

One mission that a spy can undertake is trying to start unrest on a planet that could eventually lead to a rebellion and possible civil war within the target empire.

Playing as a Megacorp Spy Agency focus would be something of an intelligence broker and assassins for hire or something to that effect. Of course the player wouldn't have to play that way but the Megacorp civics chosen would heavily encourage that playstyle. If the correct Megacorp spy civics are chosen, you can get requests from other empires to do jobs from hacking, infiltration, and assassinations. Each job can pay you in one of the main resources and the payment is dependent on what job is taken.

Assassinations are the hardest missions to undertake and in order to assassinate a Leader, the spy must meet certain parameters. For the Leaders that can move around, the spy must start the mission with the given parameters and if the Leader moves, the spy will automatically follow as if the spy has snuck aboard the same ship or has hidden himself/herself among the rank and file of the target's work environment. Each type of Leader will have a few different stories and choices in those stories to keep thing interesting. Alongside the skills of the spy, the choices the player makes during these missions can be the difference between success and failure.

General: Must have the spy start the mission on the same planet as the general.
Admiral: Must have the spy start the mission within the same solar system.
Governor: Must have the spy start the mission within the same sector, then must be moved to the planet the Governor lives on to continue the mission.
Scientists: (Can only affect Technology Research scientists) Must have the spy on the other empire's homeworld to start the mission.
Empire's Leader: (Hardest assassination mission by far) Must have the spy on the other empire's homeworld to start the mission.

• 1Like
Reactions:
an espionage system has been requested since 1.0 i highly doubt it will be implemented so late in development. if they were going to do it they would have done it sooner.
all of the other ideas seem at least somewhat interesting, although i am not sure if the zombie invasion is mechanically possible, as far as i am aware troops cannot switch sides

Last edited:
If I suddenly have to be concerned about 10 spies from 10 different ai empires disrupting my empire, I'm done.
perhaps something like the xeno compatability on-off switch, or requiring a dlc for it would fix your issue.

either way it probably isn't happening since players have been requesting it for years and the devs have never said they even considered it.

not trying to be too pessimistic (although i have been told i have that problem), i'd love to see some form of espionage, but the odds of it after this many years of silence on the topic are simply not good

Last edited:
Some form of espionage I'm ok with, but if someone assassinates the leader I just spent 40k energy trying to get I'll be rather annoyed. If 3 empires all gang up to assassinate my entire science team when I'm low on energy and can't replace them, I'll be quitting right then and there. Adding assassinations would have to be done very very carefully to not just alienate the majority of players.