Ideal lance for medium, heavy, and assault classes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Marauder is the only mech I buy pieces of as I come across them in the store. The damage reduction to the lance is nice, it hits hard, plus it just looks cool :).

I do not understand this statement. In my experience, four Highlanders can avoid anything they cannot easily beat, ( when playing against the AI. ) . When playing against a human opponent all bets are off, but I though we were discussing playing against the computer.
Part of the "avoidance" of heavy/assaults is their firepower and potential reach. If you cannot easily deal with the enemy then most likely you won't be able to avoid it because you're not faster than other assaults or heavies, and with small maps they'll eventually catch up. For example, with a mech like the A-II I can easily "avoid" the enemy 1v9 because the firepower, but without the very high damage and reach, using an assault eventually would be cornered and probably killed. If your mech is faster then you can get away with lower alpha up to a point.

So if there are too many foes or you're so underpowered that cannot easily deal with them then you'd need to be at the very least faster than them. JJs help a lot but it may be not enough. And I'd be very surprised if you've been in a mission you couldn't easily beat with four HGNB, which is a lostech assault.

I just got ERPPC ++ for my Warhammer. With the Capacitor Bonus they do 84 points of damage. Even if you miss the head, that is going to leave a mark on anything it does it.
The ERPPC++ is good for the Marauder because it allows you to single hit headcap 0-20% but I don't concur the other part of the statement. It's not like it isn't true but if I'm aiming at the head and miss it then I pretty much don't care where it lands, because it is going to be highly random (almost like an unaimed shot).

The PHX-1b is so overpowered it's broken. I run one in my assault lance (every lance really) and it gets more kills by far than any other 'Mech in the game. Jump behind the target, call shot the rear CT, then rinse and repeat. Sadly, it got so bad, I just became bored with the entire game as it made it just too easy. I now have to force myself *not* to use one.
The PHX1B is one of the best mechs of the game but imo there are a few better. And also a backstabbing tactic works great when you three other mechs by your side, while a long range PHX1B can do most missions on its own.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Y'know, I've been derbling about with various endgame techs and I think I have a new favourite Atlas-II build:

Six SNPPC++s (damage, obviously). 750 alpha at ERML range, relatively minimal heat gain (+17) achieved via triple -20% TEXes and 5 DHS. Double TTS+++ ensure accuracy in all but the absolute worst-case scenarios.

I chopped six tons of armour to fit a full set of JJs since it isn't like you need to endure a lot of incoming fire :v

The PHX-1b is so overpowered it's broken. I run one in my assault lance (every lance really) and it gets more kills by far than any other 'Mech in the game. Jump behind the target, call shot the rear CT, then rinse and repeat. Sadly, it got so bad, I just became bored with the entire game as it made it just too easy. I now have to force myself *not* to use one.

On a positive note, it did inspire me to write a pair of Flashpoints, one weight restricted to 40 tons and below and the other with a minimum weight of 60 tons.
What kind of weapons do you put on it?

What kind of weapons do you put on it?
As many of the the highest damage Support weapons I have available that will fit on the chassis. In order of preference, Small Pulse Lasers, ER Small Lasers, and then Small Lasers. Then a few highest damage Medium Lasers, usually the Magna Medium Lasers with +10 damage, followed by Double Strength Heat Sinks. Max Damage is 330 to the rear center torso (called shot) just about every round given it's incredible jump capacity and heat efficiency. It will core an assault in one round.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.55.47 AM.png

As many of the the highest damage Support weapons I have available that will fit on the chassis. In order of preference, Small Pulse Lasers, ER Small Lasers, and then Small Lasers. Then a few highest damage Medium Lasers, usually the Magna Medium Lasers with +10 damage, followed by Double Strength Heat Sinks. Max Damage is 330 to the rear center torso (called shot) just about every round given it's incredible jump capacity and heat efficiency. It will core an assault in one round.
ERSLs are better than SPLs. They have only 5 less damage but same heat, half the weight and more reach. A 4xML++ 1xERML++ 3xERSL++ 8xDHS, while having less alpha damage actually is a tiny bit better at backstabbing while having a bit more armor, running cooler and better alpha reach due to the 150m range of the ERSLs. Also keeps the Gyro, so on top of having more armor is also more evasive.

1618854571296.png

And a comparison of both for headcapping, CT core and backstabbing different mechs.
1618854301183.png
1618854305559.png
Yes, the alpha is lower and that often reflects on the CT core and headcapping chances but for backstabbing is better (I'd argue for headcapping and ctcore too, when considering range, cooling and gyro).

Then, for a much more flexible kind of setup I'd go with this one:

1618855383130.png

It is very powerful for backstabbing, more than the other two, but it runs hotter doing that, not as sustainable for chained backstabs. The good part (besides the slightly increased chance to backstab) is it can be used for long range engagement using the five ERMLs (-18 heat) from 320-360m and go for a backstab from time to time. It can solo most five missions without firing the ERSLs once:
1618855642427.png

1618855763478.png

1618855774385.png

They are in neutral, martian and desert biomes respectively and it is almost the same build but without the ERSLs, just the 5xERML++.

Reactions:
It's anecdotal, but I always felt the SPL were more accurate than the ERSL, especially with a lower skilled pilot. When your using this 'Mech agressively against assaults, it can be fatal to fail to kill one. And Kerensky forbid you lose a leg!

The Marauder is still my fav 'mech.
Three skull and below I tend to run two Firestarters, with the best small lasers (with two ML) I have at hand, full jump jets and full armour, then it really depends on what I have I favour Centurions, Enforcers and Hunchback P. If I am doing destroy/defend base I go Trenchbuckets, or if I have them C4's then Archers.

At around four Skulls I introduce a Marauder (SLDF if I have it), then maybe an Archer (the one with four ML and 2 SRM slots). Until recently for five Skull missions, it was Highlander B, Marauder, Archer and a Firestarter, The mix gives great operational flexibility.

I tended to operate one mech with a rangefinder, and the others with comes units., I go for damage over stability for my weapons load out, using TTLs heat banks and exchangers where needed.
That said I might look to stability damage in my next play through, I haven't attempt career mode yet.

Lately I have been enjoying the SLDF Blacknight in place of the Highlander.

That isn't to say I don't use other mechs, other than the Marauder and Firestarter of which I keep two in the mech bays each other slot is filled with a different medium - assault mech.

When playing I tend to focus on the target I fear the most and try to bring that down.

As an example in the Backwidow/Bounty Hunter final showdown mission I used a Highlander B, two Marauders and a Firestarter, I used the Firestart to be backstab the Annihilator, so two rounds in no Annihilator, unfortunately I did loose the Firestarter as the BW Marauder and Archer decided to play tag team boxing with it for two - three rounds, I have issues with that mission but on the plus side I managed to get the Blackwidow and Bounty Hunter to mostly kill each other