• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MattyG said:
Albion would be Eire, Wales and Scotland, plus locations that don't get a province, like the Isle of Man.
Albion is an ancient Greek term for the island of Great Britain - it is also later translated into Alba, the Scots Gaelic name for Scotland.

Albion shouldn't include IRE, simply Great Britain (ENG, WLS, SCO)

Britannia is more or less the same thing, owing to the ancient Roman terminology for Great Britain - Britannia Superior being the south of England, Britannia Inferior being the north. The capitals were London and York respectively.

Scotland doesn't really come into it - the Romans never conquered or administered it, and Hadrian's wall was built for a reason. :)

As far as I'm concerned, Ireland is a totally different issue and unless you're going with the traditional Great Britain event chain (which, your mod being as it is, I would presume not) you shouldn't have any one country tag having cores on the entire British Isles.

If you want my opinion, I suggest you go with Britannia, and give it cores on Great Britain - but not Ireland.

Aye. If you want a name for Scotland and Ireland, that's simple. Scotland and Ireland are both "Scotia". Scotia was the medieval Latin name for Ireland, and because the Scots were Irish settlers in Britain, they carried along the name of Ireland and Scotland became known as "Scotia Minor" while Ireland was "Scotia Major".

There is no name that can represent Ireland + Scotland + Wales, as they're not the same peoples and have never been ruled by a single monarch outside of Great Britain.

The problem is, both names are very Anglocentric. If you're aiming for a British Isles dominaned by anyone other than England (or an English revolter, ie Wessex, York, &c.) I'd stick with Great Britain - that's far more neutral (owing to it being a geographical and not a political term) and could just as well have been a Scots-dominated nation as an English one.

Believe me, I'm English, and both Britannia and Albion are considered to be archaic, romantic names for England just as much as modern Britain. :)

panther-anthro said:
Yes, we know you, and your text format of doom are very english Mandead. But, we were implying that they'd gain cores by force, as in if Eire is wiped off the map, you get cores. Lots of nations get cores, like that.
My font rocks!

And there's no need to be condescending; I'm trying to help. :)

My point is that I don't think Ireland should be able to form Albion/Britannia - Scotland could, but I'm still not too sure about them...

mandead said:
My font rocks!

And there's no need to be condescending; I'm trying to help. :)

My point is that I don't think Ireland should be able to form Albion/Britannia - Scotland could, but I'm still not too sure about them...

Well maybe in this timeline, the romans did manage to wipe out zee scots? XD Just Pax Britannia revolted, then saxons took it all over, and then things yea, kind of similar to what they are, not really. I'm not being condescending, I just know you love your font <3.

Also, Eirie needs to be able to form something, it's not a valid MP nation atm.

Well, it's up to you of course. This is why I try and not stray too far from history with alt. history sequences - you end up with a load of BS. ;)

mandead said:
Well, it's up to you of course. This is why I try and not stray too far from history with alt. history sequences - you end up with a load of BS. ;)

:*P We have a giant Abassid Caliphate that is more BS, then anything I've ever mentioned. They had the most incredibly unstable, and incompetent giant empire that I can think of. Ghenghis Khan's sons had a walk in the park.

panther-anthro said:
:*P We have a giant Abassid Caliphate that is more BS, then anything I've ever mentioned. They had the most incredibly unstable, and incompetent giant empire that I can think of. Ghenghis Khan's sons had a walk in the park.

It is only BS in the context of what happened historically.

The same can be said of everything in Interregnum.

But if you say that the caliphate, with its opportunistic crusader allies, go it's act together and managed to pull of an important victory over the Mogols, then in isn't BS.

You couldn't make up the story of Alexander the Great without most historians calling BS, except that it happened.

Brian Bóruma said:
Aye. If you want a name for Scotland and Ireland, that's simple. Scotland and Ireland are both "Scotia". Scotia was the medieval Latin name for Ireland, and because the Scots were Irish settlers in Britain, they carried along the name of Ireland and Scotland became known as "Scotia Minor" while Ireland was "Scotia Major".

There is no name that can represent Ireland + Scotland + Wales, as they're not the same peoples and have never been ruled by a single monarch outside of Great Britain.

Thanks for this.

It was an earlier forumite who had suggested Albion as the name. He was generally speaking very knowledgeable abbout early irish history, so I didn't challenge it.

What might have been the Gaelic name for a united Gaelic state?

Also, if you have a knowledge of Gaelic, would you check our Eire file out to make corrections and changes to the Gaelic terms we have in there?

MattyG said:
Thanks for this.

It was an earlier forumite who had suggested Albion as the name. He was generally speaking very knowledgeable abbout early irish history, so I didn't challenge it.

What might have been the Gaelic name for a united Gaelic state?

Also, if you have a knowledge of Gaelic, would you check our Eire file out to make corrections and changes to the Gaelic terms we have in there?
Perhaps have the country named "Scotia"? Or if Scotland dominates have it become one country let's say Alba and if Ireland conquers all have it named something Irish? Oileáin na hEireann? I wouldn't know where to throw "Mór" in to make it grammatically correct. Or even if what I said is. Perhaps even just Mór Eireann, if thats correct.

I believe when you name the army, Armtha na Hireann, it's suppose to be Armtha na hEireann, as I believe you going for a literal "Army of Ireland."

I'll scour over the events a bit later, and anyone who knows Gaeilge feel free to correct me on the grammar or incorrect use of words.

Just questions out of curiosity for the most part.

Regarding Emain Macha why do you have that as the capital of Ulster? Are we assuming it was never destroyed centuries before the game begins or were you aiming for Armagh?

Wouldn't Carlow more relevant than Wexford or did you just want a coastal town/city?

Avalanchemike said:
Perhaps have the country named "Scotia"? Or if Scotland dominates have it become one country let's say Alba and if Ireland conquers all have it named something Irish? Oileáin na hEireann? I wouldn't know where to throw "Mór" in to make it grammatically correct. Or even if what I said is. Perhaps even just Mór Eireann, if thats correct.

I believe when you name the army, Armtha na Hireann, it's suppose to be Armtha na hEireann, as I believe you going for a literal "Army of Ireland."

I'll scour over the events a bit later, and anyone who knows Gaeilge feel free to correct me on the grammar or incorrect use of words.

Just questions out of curiosity for the most part.

Regarding Emain Macha why do you have that as the capital of Ulster? Are we assuming it was never destroyed centuries before the game begins or were you aiming for Armagh?

Wouldn't Carlow more relevant than Wexford or did you just want a coastal town/city?

ALBA!

That was it, not Albion. Thanks for jogging my memory!

I have been leading every one astray. It was ALBA that the other thread had come up with. :wacko:

Yes, I need to change all those "of Ireland" to hEirann.

Emain macha and Wexford were both from that same guy. I can change Wexford to carlow (or its Gaelige name).

mandead said:
I already mentioned that Alba was Scotland! :rofl:

I don't remember reading that.

Anyway, are you saying that the name for Scotland ought to be Alba?

MattyG said:
I don't remember reading that.
mandead said:
Albion is an ancient Greek term for the island of Great Britain - it is also later translated into Alba, the Scots Gaelic name for Scotland.
MattyG said:
Anyway, are you saying that the name for Scotland ought to be Alba?
Well, that's up to you. If you wish to use localised names for countries, then yes - if no, then no, Scotland will suffice.

Okay so I decided today to go through the event file, as a sorta "Yay 1.07"

Is High King, Ard Ruire? I think I've always seen/used Ard Rí. Not saying it's right, just asking.

What are Ghaeraidh and Tóibín?

Consistency in a few places need to be checked. I noticed two in particular, some places used:
Eirean others use Eiranns
Tanaiste others use tanist

They were used in the same context, so I just thought to point them out.

And the spelling needs to be checked on events:

Thanks for all of these.

Ard Ri is - apparently - the short form of Ard Ruire.

For all the other things I'll make it consistent and correct the spelling.

Thank you. :)