• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

[GTO]Haggis

Recruit
9 Badges
Apr 29, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings II
As I am starting to enjoy the perils of Multiplayer Skirmishes I thought I bring a very old but ingenious idea to the table:

Anyone remembers MPBT3025? (Multiplayer Battletech 3025 - the game EA axed while still in Beta)
This could be near perfect for a Multiplayer Boost where the things you do actually matter.

For the ones not old enough to remember:
In MPBT you chose a House you fight for and then you had to Attack/Defend Planets until you took them over. Some Planets allowed only lights. Thats where you start. As you advance in Rank you become eligible for mediums. There are some more planets you can fight for now! Next Rank- with much work in it: HEAVYS! And a few more options for Planetary Targets. (Never seen assault though, the beta was killed before I could get more than my Grasshopper...)
Granted- this game was FPS Mech Action Combat.
But you could adopt the style for RTS too! Either Lance vs. Lance (like "normal" Skirmish) or Single Mech (4 Players on each side) - or even Company vs. Company. Drop limits on certain Planets, Mechbay limits (stock only?) and a fresh Pilot (or set thereof!) which you painstakingly skill up to reach higher and higher limits without so much as a scripted Storyline (which I absolutely adored, don't get me wrong on this one!!)

The fun thing about the War in the inner Sphere is that the more planets you conquer and the bigger your territory gets the more difficult it is to keep your borders secure. Although we tried the best we could we were not able to rip apart that damned Liaos o_O

Have some very fond memories about that game playing with my friends (as one of the first "Online Multiplayer" things around back then) - maybe we could create a similar experience here? AND give folks something worthwhile to do so they stick around until the next major story expansion hits the DLC Stores?

Just my 2 C-Bills
Haggis Out

shot1big.jpg
MPBT.JPG

Such a focus, such a centerpiece for BATTLETECH PvP Multiplayer would be very exciting indeed. I would welcome such efforts from HBS. : )

As I am starting to enjoy the perils of Multiplayer Skirmishes I thought I bring a very old but ingenious idea to the table:

Anyone remembers MPBT3025? (Multiplayer Battletech 3025 - the game EA axed while still in Beta)
This could be near perfect for a Multiplayer Boost where the things you do actually matter.

For the ones not old enough to remember:
In MPBT you chose a House you fight for and then you had to Attack/Defend Planets until you took them over. Some Planets allowed only lights. Thats where you start. As you advance in Rank you become eligible for mediums. There are some more planets you can fight for now! Next Rank- with much work in it: HEAVYS! And a few more options for Planetary Targets. (Never seen assault though, the beta was killed before I could get more than my Grasshopper...)
Granted- this game was FPS Mech Action Combat.
But you could adopt the style for RTS too! Either Lance vs. Lance (like "normal" Skirmish) or Single Mech (4 Players on each side) - or even Company vs. Company. Drop limits on certain Planets, Mechbay limits (stock only?) and a fresh Pilot (or set thereof!) which you painstakingly skill up to reach higher and higher limits without so much as a scripted Storyline (which I absolutely adored, don't get me wrong on this one!!)

The fun thing about the War in the inner Sphere is that the more planets you conquer and the bigger your territory gets the more difficult it is to keep your borders secure. Although we tried the best we could we were not able to rip apart that damned Liaos o_O

Have some very fond memories about that game playing with my friends (as one of the first "Online Multiplayer" things around back then) - maybe we could create a similar experience here? AND give folks something worthwhile to do so they stick around until the next major story expansion hits the DLC Stores?

Just my 2 C-Bills
Haggis Out

View attachment 379807 View attachment 379808

Um, could you please apply at Paradox as dev for Battletech Multiplayer? :D

@[GTO]Haggis, I do not recall MPBT3025, but I am impressed by what you've shown here. :bow: And over 300-matches played! Great job. : )

@Kurnn : Thanks for the Idea but I leave game development to the professionals at HBS and PDX... Just throwing in a way to recycle a working idea to enhance this game.

What I forgot to mention (as it was in the middle of the night posting this thing) is that you earn your wage with playing. Basic salary + bonus for winning and a House bonus for the success of your house. That would insert a possible strategic component as you will have to buy your mech(s) and/or pay for spare parts/rework cost in Mechbay etc. (Opportunity for High Risk Planets with no stock mech rules- high risk high pay... Or pay for refits / repairs etc.)
I found the Manual to the game in the depths of the catacombs and included it here so you get the point about the financials and stuff. (@Mods, if this is not wanted please delete the file and notify me, thx.)
The only thing I would change is that you drop with your own house instead of a 4 House Gangbang Lance (yes, I encountered that).

@ Prussian Havoc: thanks :)

Haggis out

Attachments

• mpb3025manual.pdf
    755,9 KB · Views: 12
Well this reminds me of what MWO tried to do with the Faction play gamemode. But it could certainly be much improved for Battletech. Overall I think it's a really good idea!

Well this reminds me of what MWO tried to do with the Faction play gamemode. But it could certainly be much improved for Battletech. Overall I think it's a really good idea!

Yeah, but MWO is a PvP based game. Any sort of story/development is a huge hassle to get right for pure PvP MMOs. The same way as PvP has problems to work for PvE MMOs.

For Battletech, I think the OPs suggestion is fantastic!

So basically what MWO promised with community warfare and then never delivered?(maybe they did deliver eventually but i gave up after they missed their 3 or 4th deadline for it, I consider founding that game some of the worst money i have spent in years)

I would be all for that in this game.

So basically what MWO promised with community warfare and then never delivered?(maybe they did deliver eventually but i gave up after they missed their 3 or 4th deadline for it, I consider founding that game some of the worst money i have spent in years)

I would be all for that in this game.

They put a lot of non pvp related things, in Mechwarrior 5 instead.

Just like you said, MWO promised a lot of stuff from the start, and have been trying to add anything other then directly PvP related things, like new mechs, weapons etc. MWO is a successful game. But its a Battlefield type game with mechs. Quite cool, but I dont play it more then maybe for a week, then nothing for 12 months.

Mechwarrior 5 have those features now :p. IF I am allowed to talk about that game here?

@Ozymandious Sounds good, can't wait to see it in action...
@Kurnn Community Warfare in MWO was a little...meh... But as soon as MW5 hits the stores you can bet your ass I will jump it like a Swarm of Locusts (pun intended) o_O
:p

finaly home, here is the link for the inner sphere wars discord where right now the aurigan coalition and fwl are invading the pants off the davions. https://discord.gg/C6dENTg
Sounds like the loyal and valiant Sons and Daughters of the Federated Suns have a challenge ahead of them! : )