Iberian Struggle's conditions are annoying

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saraste

Second Lieutenant
58 Badges
Mar 27, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
I own 100% of Iberia, and we are in Conciliary Phase. Yet, I can't end the Struggle and form Iberia because I own over 50% of Iberia. Would I need to release half of my vassals or what? Waiting until hostility phase will take ages.

1669219545459.png

Also, do you guys think it's intended for "powerful clan vassals" to retain their government and the powerful clan vassal malus even after converting to Christianity? I'd figure there should be a way for them to lose it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean, that makes sense, even if it’s annoying. You’re acting in a way contrary to the general vibes of everyone else involved in the Struggle, so while you have the titles, it’s going to take some time to get folks on board with your hostility and need to dominate the peninsula.

Orrrrrr. You could release vassals and control less land, which would fit in the spirit of conciliation, allowing you to end the Struggle by leaning into how the inhabitants of Iberia feel right now.

Reactions:
Also, do you guys think it's intended for "powerful clan vassals" to retain their government and the powerful clan vassal malus even after converting to Christianity? I'd figure there should be a way for them to lose it.
I doubt it's intended but rulers with clan government can't change to feudalism without console I'm pretty sure.

I doubt it's intended but rulers with clan government can't change to feudalism without console I'm pretty sure.
I’m pretty sure it’s intended. Clan and fuedalism are more or less equivalent (tech/development wise), just having different ideas of the exact nature of the relationship between the big cheese and his slices

I’m pretty sure it’s intended. Clan and fuedalism are more or less equivalent (tech/development wise), just having different ideas of the exact nature of the relationship between the big cheese and his slices
I don't think it is intended based off how it works in gameplay. The condition for whether an unlanded character gets Clan or Feudalism on being given a title is whether they are Muslim. Any unlanded character that then inherits that title, regardless of religion, inherits that government type while landed characters keep their existing government type.

So if a feudal ruler has a Muslim heir, the heir will get feudal on inheritance if they are unlanded or be Clan if you give them land first then retain Clan on inheritance.

Reactions:
I don't think it is intended based off how it works in gameplay. The condition for whether an unlanded character gets Clan or Feudalism on being given a title is whether they are Muslim. Any unlanded character that then inherits that title, regardless of religion, inherits that government type while landed characters keep their existing government type.

So if a feudal ruler has a Muslim heir, the heir will get feudal on inheritance if they are unlanded or be Clan if you give them land first then retain Clan on inheritance.

I'm also pretty sure it is intended, since it's not really the sort of thing that could happen by accident coding wise.
Someone had to put in that government type is inherited along with titles as a separate little function from how government is normally decided when a character get's a government some other way (being granted the title, being pushed as a claimant, being a peasant leader that wins a rebellion and so on).

The situation you describe on the other hand would just be the natural result of coding in two different ways how governments are determined for inheriting titles and getting them in some other way.

I suspect that the design was to keep continuity of whatever government you where already playing as, and had presumably organized your realm under.
If they could change your vassals might otherwise wipe clean any contracts you had negotiated with them by switching government types (since the two have access to different vassal contracts).
The player might also be annoyed if they lost their government type from inheriting a title (say by winning an election for instance).

___

Now onto the main topic of the thread:

The Iberian Struggle is meant to give a somewhat different regional gameplay where one doesn't just conquer all the lands the same way one would do elsewhere on the map. Instead they want us to plan ahead and consider the various requirements for achieving the endings we want (and the challenges and opportunities presented by the current phase).

However in order to actually make that availible they had to ensure that just falling back on our default strategies and just conquering the place wouldn't be easier and more convenient than actually engaging with the struggle mechanics.
Essentially, even when going for dominance you probably want to end the struggle before conquering everything in Iberia (you want to conquer a lot yes, but not everything) and to time this with being in the right phase, rather than conquer first and then look towards ending the struggle afterwards.

This does lead to some problems when a player isn't actually all that interested in doing struggle stuff but still want to play in the area, since they just experience the struggle as an obstacle for doing what they want.

For a practical bit of advice, if you just want the struggle to end but don't care about getting any of the 3 "official" endings you could move your capital outside of the region and take the "Secure Iberian Foothold" decision

• 2Like
Reactions: