I think Johan and Paradox Tinto are secretly working in EU5

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Based on this twitter I think, that EU4 will have 4 big patches.

I hope that Europa Universalis series will have pause. For refresh own minds, finds real new ways etc. Maybe return to Imperator Rome (this game have still greater, unused potential in compare to Europa Universalis) or big focus on Victoria 3.

• 23Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Based on this twitter I think, that EU4 will have 4 big patches.

I hope that Europa Universalis series will have pause. For refresh own minds, finds real new ways etc. Maybe return to Imperator Rome (this game have still greater, unused potential in compare to Europa Universalis) or big focus on Victoria 3.
We're not getting any map updates again, map updates occured even in most small patches

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm starting to think a small team is taking a bit of care of EU4, but the main team and Johan are starting to work in EU5 in secret.

This would explain everything.
They've openly stated that the opening work (design documentation, engine testing, "whiteboard ideas") on new sequel games happens well before the the prequel is "finished". I'd wager there's some amount of effort being spent on what design choices make sense for the next game, and there has been for years now.

I wouldn't say it really explains any more than "new, inexperienced development team was trapped by poor management into a release that never should have been" and the attempts to fix this have lead to a combination of overcorrection and instability in the workplace that really make getting non-trivial tasks done difficult.

The (completely justified) lack of trust the community(ies) have in the dev team now also doesn't help the decisions either.

• 25Like
Reactions:
The problem with CK2 and EU4 is that they made CK3 and will make EU5 feel empty in content. Not everything can be added as there needs to be a continuous source of revenue for the company. At the same time, people may be put off from getting a new itineration of a franchise series if they think it is not "complete" yet. The main positive is that the base game will be solid for future expansion and the map will be tweaked from lessons learned in past development.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The problem with CK2 and EU4 is that they made CK3 and will make EU5 feel empty in content. Not everything can be added as there needs to be a continuous source of revenue for the company. At the same time, people may be put off from getting a new itineration of a franchise series if they think it is not "complete" yet. The main positive is that the base game will be solid for future expansion and the map will be tweaked from lessons learned in past development.

When we eventually get around to do EU5, I want to port pretty much 95% of all our events. Thats what we did from eu3 to eu4.

• 29Like
  • 8Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
When we eventually get around to do EU5, I want to port pretty much 95% of all our events. Thats what we did from eu3 to eu4.

Will mission trees be removed from future versions of the EU series? I think there was a comment from the development team that they regret adding it to EU4.

Also, the POP idea that was thrown around a while back could work well for EU. Not all mechanics from EU4 would be needed from the get-go as the trade off for a pop system in the franchise can reshape the game and its immersion capacity completely.

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
The sad thought is that they are probably not working on EU5 (it should be noted that their own comments are no indicator of anything, Rome 2 and Victoria 3 were denied right until announcement). There were announcements of many years of new DLC shortly before Leviathan. Even if these plans changed, it is clear that at least up until quite recently EU5 was a distant perspective.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will mission trees be removed from future versions of the EU series? I think there was a comment from the development team that they regret adding it to EU4.

Also, the POP idea that was thrown around a while back could work well for EU. Not all mechanics from EU4 would be needed from the get-go as the trade off for a pop system in the franchise can reshape the game and its immersion capacity completely.
I only accept mission trees in old fashion or agenda-style, or on a larger scale (i.e. bonus modifiers for the Reconquista).
I don't want meta hell from day 1. Like how to fight Bohemia as Austria in the first months to double your power.
Mission system how it is now is truly nasty. I prefer playing with all mission trees deleted.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
You mean paradox tinto are completing eu4 whilst paradox makes eu5? Johan shouldn't be in charge of a fresh project after IRs flop
The second Johan came in the quality of DLC jumped up by 200% and so did the general fun ingame since Johan asks "How do I make this fun?" instead of "I dont want players to do that" the previous one seemed to have. I dont care how bad the release of Leviathan was or how unbalanced it is I would take this over any Golden Century or Dharma where you could remove both DLCs without telling me and I wouldnt notice it at all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If Johan and Tinto are working on EU5, then we will have a combination of Imperator 1.0 and Leviathan xD

• 8Haha
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Johan made EU1, EU2, EU3, EU4. He can do EU5.

Biggest new features should be:
- redoing colonisation
- redoing trade
- the demographic and economic damage of war should be more punishing. Manpower losses. Add refugees emigrating war torn areas. Preserving peace from time to time while war rages around you should be a viable strategy. This would add another diplomatic/espionage layer where you could provoke war between neighbours to your benefit.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Johan made EU1, EU2, EU3, EU4. He can do EU5.

Biggest new features should be:
- redoing colonisation
- redoing trade
- the demographic and economic damage of war should be more punishing. Manpower losses. Add refugees emigrating war torn areas. Preserving peace from time to time while war rages around you should be a viable strategy. This would add another diplomatic/espionage layer where you could provoke war between neighbours to your benefit.
Didn't people express similar level of raging optimism before the release of Rome 2 and similar level of raging anger after the release of Rome 2?

• 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions: