• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J.R. Wolf

Field Marshal
90 Badges
Mar 1, 2010
  • Rome Gold
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • For The Glory
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
I have been a faithful customer of Paradox’s over the years, but I think that time has come to an end. Despite having tried and tried and tried, I find it impossible to play Paradox's complex games without manuals, and the Wikis simply do not cut it. I find myself with questions that I can’t find the answers to anywhere - the Wikis don’t/won’t cover them, and online articles just gloss over them, and it’s really frustrating. I started out in wargaming when the first thing you did was read the manual, and successfully made the transition to where you played the game and referred to the manual when you needed to, but I cannot make the transition to having no manual at all. It seems to me to be both counterintuitive and a bit insane. So, goodbye to you all and good luck, I’ve been a wargamer since 1967 and now I’m finally packing it in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's weird. Paradox have been accused more lately by streamlining their games, not the other way around. Also, what features are you referring to, that you have problems with. Its forum, the brave comrades are here to help! ;)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
YouTube is full of videos, especially of multiplayer games.

I kinda miss the giant manuals of old games (90s for me) but games are constantly being updated, and very additive.

But they are working on tutorial videos. A lot of things are trial and error.

But the game is much simpler than it appears at first. Insofar as there's a narrow pathway usually.

Before you go, if you haven't already referred to them, the developer diaries often serve as pre-release instruction manuals. I know I've answered many of my own questions by re-reading them.

But I don't disagree with your basic complaint: outsourcing most of the game's instructional material to the Wiki overlooks the preferences of some gamers, myself included.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Understandable but the point that many people like Paradox games is precisely because of their complexity and, personally, I would not vote to make them simpler, on the contrary, more complex. That's why it's called "grand strategy".

Reactions:
Perfectly valid complaint - HoI4 really could do with better instructions. I'd however encourage @J.R. Wolf to look at the guides on YouTube - there's a lot of pretty good guides on there. To be fair, Paradox does now have some decent in-game videos for the basics, but as soon as you get to anything like complex focus tree mechanics, you're on your own - or on YouTube.

On another note, this thread is bound to get shut down any time soon by @RELee as it's slightly critical of Paradox.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
On another note, this thread is bound to get shut down any time soon by @RELee as it's slightly critical of Paradox.
If you have an issue with the way I moderate threads feel free to PM @Had a dad with your concerns.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you have an issue with the way I moderate threads feel free to PM @Had a dad with your concerns.
You probally moderate better then had a dad, that guy is the most sensitive moderator on any forum, doesn't even fully read what people say either before removing it.

Reactions:
Back on topic.... I learn most HOI4 things by watching YouTube. A manual would be great but creating a manual takes significant effort. I would prefer that Paradox put that effort into fixing bugs and creating new content. This is my view but I don't fault anyone from seeing it differently.

ah another person that thinks the moderators are only here to save paradox from critical reviews... and breaks said forum rules to show how bold they are.
You probally moderate better then had a dad, that guy is the most sensitive moderator on any forum, doesn't even fully read what people say either before removing it.
sorry, I probably didn't read your post, and just guessed it violated forum rules
if I have an issue with how Had a dad moderates the forum, can I pm you?
ofc you can, however I think at some point we had a conversation going that you did not reply to. if you have an issue with what I do and you feel we have come to an impasse and want to escalate it, I would most certainly point you in the proper direction
Back on topic
unfortunately that boat has sailed.

But yes for the OP, Youtube video's and the WIKI are better than any manual as now a days the game can change so fast that if you pick up a PDS title other than when it first comes out, the games change so much that a manual would be quickly out of date.

Since there isn't anything really further to comment on here, closed

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.