I still get 30 FPS in hoi4 late game with an RTX 3090

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think it's not about CPU either. I'm running on RYZEN 7 2700, usually speed 3. And it's still terrible experience late game. Especially now since I can compare to CK3, which is perfectly optimized. Sadly, HoI4 is a disaster in this matter.

That's still 4,1 Ghz. For a considerable speeding up of GSG performance you'd need higher clock speeds but those aren't really around.

I don't know CK3 but probably it's a lot less complex computation-wise.

I would be curious to know if someone at Paradox profiled the execution of the game, both before WW2 and during WW3, and determined which part is the bottleneck. The poor performance may be less about there being more of everything, and more about some part of the logic that scales very poorly and becomes more dominant later on.

For example, the calculations to determine what piece of equipment to take from the stockpile, and which piece of equipment to replace, and where should that exchange happen, may grow in complexity over time. It may be trivial when you have two types of rifles in the stockpile and two types of rifles equipped, but when you've got 100 types in the stockpile and 100 types equipped, you may be getting bogged down in too many sorts on too long arrays happening.