• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Woody Man

SWMH Bretwalda
122 Badges
May 12, 2004
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
romeposterqd5.jpg

epchartersiggv6.jpg

I, Silvagenus is an E.P Woodhouse Production

Salve,

Welcome dear reader to my fourth AAR, set four hundred and seventy four years after the founding of Rome, it follows the Silvageni family from its wars with Pyrrhus, King of Epirus and beyond, it features battles, political intrigue, romance and the end of nations.

I hope you enjoy, and thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Ahh yes , subscribed XD

In!
Any particular reason for you having a statue of Octavian in the title page?
And the painting with all the greeks having their privates hidden by well-placed objects was kind of neat.

basharious, canonized and Bad Santa - Welcome aboard!

comagoosie - Welcome! I will be following the Silvagensus family, I'm planning to do most of it in 3rd person, but with little introductions by one of the characters

Eams - Welcome aboard! The statue of Octavian, I guess it was just for stylistic purposes, so I coloured him up and stuck him on there, the painting at the bottom is "The Sabine Women" from the Roman legend, the Romans originally stole women from the Sabines in order to boost their population, its said that years later, the Sabines returned to reclaim their female population but the women stopped the fighting, having grown attached to their children and Roman husbands. Certainly one of my most favourite paintings, fighting naked, thats the way to do things :D

History homework is done, writing the first update now :D

Is this going to get turned into a BBC drama? :)

Looking forward to seeing where this all leads!

English Patriot said:
basharious, canonized and Bad Santa - Welcome aboard!

comagoosie - Welcome! I will be following the Silvagensus family, I'm planning to do most of it in 3rd person, but with little introductions by one of the characters

Eams - Welcome aboard! The statue of Octavian, I guess it was just for stylistic purposes, so I coloured him up and stuck him on there, the painting at the bottom is "The Sabine Women" from the Roman legend, the Romans originally stole women from the Sabines in order to boost their population, its said that years later, the Sabines returned to reclaim their female population but the women stopped the fighting, having grown attached to their children and Roman husbands. Certainly one of my most favourite paintings, fighting naked, thats the way to do things :D

History homework is done, writing the first update now :D

Looking forward to this AAR, although David's "The Sabine Women" has always seemed to me to depict a situation in which a vast quantity of valium was introduced to the water supply just prior to the events in the picture. :D

General_BT - It would be very nice to see :D

Dhimmi - Welcome aboard!

lordy80011 - Welcome aboard! Yes it does have a rather chaotic look to it :D

Update is Nowish :)

I, Silvagenus - Concerning Pyrrhus and the Sea

bannerisaarvg0.jpg

I, Silvagenus - Concerning Pyrrhus and the Sea

I, Silvagenus, I am Lucius Silvagenus, tribe of Arnensis, Commander of the Armies of the North, Triumphator, Conqueror of Barbarians beyond our borders. Enemy of the Senate. Hero of the People, its very easy to be the two things at once. I had friends when I was younger, now the Patricians in Rome abandon me, jealous of my popularity, fearful of my army, I am relegated to the frontier. My illustrious career began in Rome, being a Patrician, I moved within distinguished circles. It was my particular knowledge of a certain person that brought me my first command. Though I would note, that this command was not an award, not in the least.

The heat of the moment had long passed, now the pair lay entwined reflecting on blurred memories. Their bed was surrounded by a spacious room, cool stone walls painted with bright frescoes. Moonlight poured into the room from a wide balcony, covered by veils that moved like waves upon the sea.

“What are you thinking about?” She asked, gracefully circling her fingers on his chest.

Lucius looked her in the eye, the moonlight played upon her face, illuminating her red hair and cold green eyes. The cool breeze that swept across the Palatine Hill gently brushed the thin veils drawn across the wide balcony.

They stared at each other for some time, before Lucius finally spoke,

“You know Julia, my grandfather lived in the country and was rich, here in Rome, I'm running out of money.”

Lucius sighed casually and threw the thin sheets off himself. Julia lay back and pulled the sheets over her.

“You should probably marry, you're twenty now, and you are the Pater familias, Lucius, you make the decisions, and the dowry and connections would do you good.” She prodded him, Lucius had avoided the subject long enough.

“Know anyone?” Lucius walked to the balcony smirking all the way.

“You could marry me, Lucius”

“Your brother despises me Julia, and we could never marry” Lucius began to get dressed, Julia said nothing, just stared at the half lit figure, he turned, fully dressed and headed for the door.

“Do I mean so little to you?” Her voice was an whisper that floated into the room, she saw his face as he passed, that same smirk she had seen all those years ago, when he bragged of his other conquests.

“Goodbye” Her voice was cold and level, Lucius paused at the door, his lips twitched, anticipating his own words, but nothing came. He left, and the room fell silent but for the fading steps of sandal against stone.

Julia had waited for what seemed like an eternity for Lucius in the hopes that he would marry her. Julia's brother, Lucius Julius Libo was not insistent enough to force her to marry, but he would veto her marriage to Silvagenus. When she was younger, it had seemed inevitable that they would marry, despite her brothers protests, then Lucius's father still lived and exerted some influence on the youth. Now lying alone in her room, it became so apparent what he had become. His youthful exuberance turned to wanton revelry, even the Acta Diurna had picked up on his activities. And all the while she had waited, now treated like one of his slaves.

How she wished she could cry, she knew it was the end of so many years of struggling against him, dismissing suitors, how much better it would have been if she had just accepted when she was younger. Now many had left, or were leaving for the war against Tarentum. Tarentum, and Epirus, there was the problem and solution rolled into one. Her brother Julius held his position in the Senate and the ear of Aemilius Barbula, the insufferable Consul, he was popular enough, but not on account of his personal charisma. There was something Lucius could depend on, his charisma perfectly agreeable when she met him all those years ago on the steps of the forum. They had seduced each other, both settling in to a world of secretive pleasures. Julia felt contemptible for loving such a man. The Senate would see to his punishment.

Silvagenus had slept well, despite the late night. Evidently the cool night air was good for his health. The sun was shining, but the air was still cold, he dressed quickly and made his way out into the courtyard and ran his fingers through the icy water in the fountain.

“My breakfast Valeria” Silvagenus pointed to a small table sheltered from the sun.

He sat and pondered the days entertainment and what could be done with the hours lying ahead while dragging his bread through the bowl of oil before him.

“My dear Lucius, good afternoon” The young man strode into the courtyard and sat opposite Lucius, the shade removing the shine from his oiled hair.

“I didn't know it was afternoon Titus” The slave Valeria placed a small assortment of foods before the two patricians and retreated out of sight.

“You know, Lucius, everyone knows about your dalliance with Julia Secunda Libo” Titus cut to the chase and picked up an olive.

“I'll have you know Titus, it was more conquest than skirmish” Lucius punctuated the sentence with a rough bite of bread and grinned at Titus.

They both laughed “You know, the greatest irony is that you're earmarked for service in the Navy” Titus laughed still

“What?”

“Well, apparently you've been chosen as one of the Duumviri Navales by Barbula, with the possibility of continuing your service to the Senate at sea against Pyrrhus.”

There was a flicker of silence between the two.

“That's ridiculous, I don't know anything of maintaining a fleet, my education was for land strategy not bloody boating!” Lucius was exasperated.

“Apparently its was going to go through this morning, we need to stop the Epirotes from landing and reinforcing Tarentum.” Titus traced his finger over the table as if marking a map before him.

“Well, I suppose they'll pay me won't they?” Lucius resigned himself.

“No doubt, and besides, if you are appointed Praetor, even in the Navy, its a step up from having sex with your slaves eh?” Titus spread his hands, Lucius just stared incredulously.

“So that's it then, fighting the Hellenes at sea?”

“Well it was only a rumour” Titus was nonchalant, rumours were rife in Rome.

“But why me Titus? I hate the sea”

So, I was sent to sea to fight for the Senate and the People of Rome, of course I was appointed Praetor of the fleet, I had nine triremes under my command, with which to destroy the Epirotes at sea and surround Tarentum. I still didn't know why I had been chosen for the task, we set sail in early February, my good friend Titus Quinctius Curio was kind enough to join me and volunteer for service in the fleet. I found him the most comfortable position possible and set out to fight for Rome, in the early spring of 474 AUC.

L. Silvagenus

Last edited:
OutsiderSubtype - Welcome! He is, I have a great admiration for anti-heroes, plus his traits and stats make him the man he is today ;)

comagoosie - Haha speculation! Though you're definately onto something!

Ahh , the story begins . You haven't lost your narrative legs that you've tried out so long ago , Mr. Woodhouse XD An excellent opening volley and already we have high politics . A ripe fruit for tragedy if necessary XD . And enduring friendships ; one of the more noble of ancient ideals !

This looks like a very cool story, the first post was very nice setting the scenery and also hinting on something that we shall see in the future. There is nothing wrong with being found of the ladies as long as it doesn’t turns into hatred from their side because then it can be really dangerous… Shall be interesting to see how he does commanding a fleet, but I guess it must be humiliating for a man that considering himself commander of armies to be sent to the navy, still there is always the chance to do well and then get promoted.
Looking forward to read more :)

Only 9 Triremes...is he being sent into a no-win situation or is this a legitimate fleet (I guess this early in the game it probably is!)? Does someone want him to fail? Idle speculation based on game ignorance, but you've got my interest! I like your narrative style.

canonized - I'm glad I've still got legs to stand on!

Lord E - Welcome! What was the saying again, "The mob is Rome"?

Alfred Packer - Welcome! This is indeed Rome's legitimate fleet, someone's probably hopeful he'll die, or at least, get him out of the way..