I:R comparative performance with other GSG

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And we are finally on the week of Victoria 3 release. The total 24h peak players for GSG games is 333,290 as expected, the OP chart has been updated accordignly.

The most played GSG list has eight games now, with Victoria 3 taking the top spot with difference. Let's hope that Victoria entice many management games players to the GSG genre and they stay with us. It does not look like the other GSG top games have been severly affected by Victoria 3, but it is only 24h since release.

1666779439562.png

I:R 24h peak players were 463. The number is a bit lower than the average 565.

(I did my part and yesterday I played I:R before the servers made impossible to continue playing, probably because Vic3)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
A complete week has passed since the release of Victoria 3 and total 24h peak players for GSG is 309,483. Not a huge increase from the previous weeks average of 300,000 24h peak GSG players.

The eight most played GSG show a significat decrease of Victoria 3 players from the starting peak, something to be expected, but also a decrease of HOI IV players. Maybe those players are now focused in Victoria 3. Stellaris has increased its players probably due to the Halloween event.

1667391490034.png

I:R recovers some of its historical trend players to 492 24h peak players this week.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Two weeks after Victoria 3 has been released and the total 24h peak players of GSG category is down to 265,019, well below the average number of 300,000.

If we look at the seven most played games, we can see a huge weekly decrease of number of players in Victoria 3 (somewhat expected from its peak) but also a weekly decrease in all other GSG. We do not know if this is a trend or a blip but we can confirm that for now the release of Victoria 3 is not bringing new players to the genre:

1667992150600.png

I:R is also down from the average to 473 24h peak players today.

Reactions:
Three weeks after Victoria 3 was released and the total 24h peak players of GSG category is at 295,160 players, back to the average number of 300,000. The recovery to average is consequence of the increase of Civilization VI players thanks to their Leader Pass offer. All things PDX, the best performance is for CK3 and HOI IV, with all the other 8th more played GSG losing players. One could say that some players from VIC3 have came back to CK3 and HOIV:

1668612782527.png

On the other hand, I:R recovers from last week to 494 24h peak players.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the stats. I wonder where Victoria 3 will land in let's say 2 months compared to other PDX games.

If we look at past releases, Victoria 3 looks similar to Stellaris, so we can risk and say that VIC3 will stabilize around 10,000 24h peak players after 60 days. This number is also similar to HOIV after 60 days of release.
1668694834773.png
In comparison, I:R had 1,000 24h peak players 60 days after release.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This week total GSG 24h peak players is down to 287,232 players. The CIV VI crazyiness stills goes on and it has clocked 72,599 players. This is a game from 2016 from a long saga of games back to the original 1991 civilization game. The other big 8 (above 10,000 24h peak players) remain stable or lose players. Biggest loses for Victoria 3 (-5,009 players) that seems to follow the same curve as Stellaris at release. We will see if it can hold to the 10,000 24h peak players ranking. The other winner besides Civ VI is Europa Universalis IV (+768).
1669203206217.png
I:R also descends a bit to 472 24peak players (-22).

Last edited:
Reactions:
What is key for Paradox is to determine if the Vicky 3 players won't cannibalise too much on existing games
I have updated the OP (oppening post) with the chart of all GSG 24h peak players with the PDX GSG 24h peak players to compare both trends:
1669457699702.png
It seems that all GSG from PDX have a slightly better trend line than all GSG if we consider the period I started plotting. If new PDX GSG games would cannabalise existing games, the trend line would be flat. We need more time to confirm this. With new GSG from PDX to be announced and published next year, this will be a great experiment to track.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Does the blue line contain all GSG, or just the "Non PDX"? Because I tend to think that two lines where PDX has a total influence on one and a minor on the other could be misleading.
With a "PDX" and a "non PDX" line, we could estimate when the lines will cross, at this pace (I'm almost joking because we have not enough data for this^^ and also I'm not sure that the line represents well the plots)

Reactions:
Does the blue line contain all GSG, or just the "Non PDX"? Because I tend to think that two lines where PDX has a total influence on one and a minor on the other could be misleading.
With a "PDX" and a "non PDX" line, we could estimate when the lines will cross, at this pace (I'm almost joking because we have not enough data for this^^ and also I'm not sure that the line represents well the plots)
Blue line represents all GSG 24h peak players trend including PDX.

Yes, PDX orange trend line influences the blue line, the slopes of both lines are correlated, but can be different as you can see on the chart.

I could separate both lines but then we would not have the total GSG 24h peak players, unless we added both quantities.

What we want to observe is two things:
  • slope for PDX orange line
  • slope for all GSG blue line
Difference on both slopes is enough to gauge PDX performance against the market, even if they will never cross.

The line represents a linear aproximation and is calculated by EXCEL. We could use a non linear aproximation but I do not think it will be better.

I:R 24h Peak players are added to the orange line alongside all GSG from PDX.

PS: I will add the linear equation to the chart to see the slope and R^2 value
1669568839994.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Already a month has passed since Victoria 3 was launched. The total GSG 24h peak players have mounted a bit since last week 293,649 (+6,417). From those, PDX games have also gained players up to 97,947 (+1,741).

The main games variation from last week: decrease on Civ VI (-6,498) and Vic3 (-3,631) and increase on Total Warhammer III (+4,560), Stellaris (+4,216) and HOIIV (+2,077).
1669809377915.png
I:R achieves 575 GSG 24h peak players, a significat increase from last month (+103)

Reactions:
Interesting data, thanks for taking the time to compile them.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks. I'm surprised that Victoria 3 went so low this week
It's especially interesting because only a few days ago, Paradox put out a Twitter release calling Victoria 3 one of their most successful launches ever. Only to receive a lot of negative comments about the relatively low steam score, etc.

FivijdZWYAAbr6Y

Reactions:
I would agree with them that if the game sells well and there are no major (as in, crashing to desktop) bug, it is in fact a succesful launch. It's just that it says nothing about how well the game will do later on, IIRC the Imperator launch was also considered fairly succesful.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you, all is done out of apreciation for your games and interest to spread knowledge.

I almost forgot this Wednesday to update the chart. We have the arrival of Knights of Honor II: Sovereign that has not enough players ( 5,190) to make it to the top GSG with >10,000 24h Peak Players. The overall trend is negative for all top games except for Crusaders Kings III (+190), Europa Universalis IV (+130) and Sid Meier civilization V (+609). Victoria 3 seems to reach a plateau (-3) this week that sees a big downfall of Sid Meier Civilization VI (-15,077). All Paradox games are played by 95,499 players with a lost of -2,488 24h Peak Players from last week.

1670433155975.png

I:R stays at 504 players with a loss of 71 players since last week.

Reactions: