I:R comparative performance with other GSG

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good afternoon,

Yet again another week of decrease for 24h peak players, the exams period is still raging on, nothing else can explain a downward trend for all top GSG this week (between -22.55% and -1,87%)

1686763869578.png

I:R is in line with other top GSG with a -6,30% decrease from the previous week.

Reactions:
Good afternoon,

The exam period is over, students are back playing GSG games (+3,57% overall, +6,80% PDX).

However, not all games recover the same. For example, from the TOP games, Age of Wonders recover +95,02% from last week thanks to the Dragon Expansion. The other top games have different behaviour this week:

1687366184248.png

Sadly, I:R this week has lost players (-9,01%).

Victoria 3 has increased players (+8,05%) following the announcement of the beta patch 1.3.4.

Reactions:
Good afternoon,

The exam period is over, students are back playing GSG games (+3,57% overall, +6,80% PDX).

However, not all games recover the same. For example, from the TOP games, Age of Wonders recover +95,02% from last week thanks to the Dragon Expansion. The other top games have different behaviour this week:

Sadly, I:R this week has lost players (-9,01%).

Victoria 3 has increased players (+8,05%) following the announcement of the beta patch 1.3.4.
Did age of wonders get enough players to be on your graph? (over 10k)

This week remains stable compared to the previous one.

This week GSG can be grouped in three tiers:
  1. Sid Meier Civilization VI and HOI IV
  2. Total War: Warhammer III, Crusaders Kings III, Europa Universalis IV, Sid Meier Civilization V and Stellaris (big jump from last week due to free weekend +27,40%)
  3. All others
1687954773499.png

I:R loses some players this week (-1,89%) let's see what happens when the anniversary patch is released

Victoria 3 gains players this week (+6,03%) due to the patch for Voice of the People

Age of Wonders cannot keep the players with the Dragon expansion and this week loses half of the players, is a competitor releasing something this week?

Reactions:
I still think it's funny how Civ games and any Total war games are "grand strategy" lol.

The classification is from Steam DB, but other sites seem to follow similar guidelines. For example, this article from yesterday in the wargamer site from Jonathan Brown included Total War: Warhammer 3 as the 4th best grand strategy game in PC in 2023. There was no CIV game in the list and I:R is on the 3rd spot only behind Europa Universalis 4 and Crusaders Kings 3:

Reactions:
Oh I get it, I just differ on the the definition of the genre.

The classification is from Steam DB, but other sites seem to follow similar guidelines. For example, this article from yesterday in the wargamer site from Jonathan Brown included Total War: Warhammer 3 as the 4th best grand strategy game in PC in 2023. There was no CIV game in the list and I:R is on the 3rd spot only behind Europa Universalis 4 and Crusaders Kings 3:

I have also seen this article.
Interesting that a game that is not being actively developed since two years is still considered one of the best for 2023 (even if in a specific genre and in one article).
Honestly was thinking of making a thread with this news.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The steamdb category comes directly from steam itself. In both steam and steamdb its the `tag=????` where that numeric value equals a category. This is visible via the search function in steam where if you narrow by tag = "Grand Strategy" go get "https[:]//store[.]steampowered[.]com/search/?term=tag%3D4364"
(fun aside, steam doesn't actually expose that tag via documented API paths so its a giant pain to programmatically get the list a games in a category via API calls and instead you need to scrap the site itself)

Additionally for why 4x games, the steam category is "Grand Strategy & 4x"

Reactions:
The steamdb category comes directly from steam itself. In both steam and steamdb its the `tag=????` where that numeric value equals a category. This is visible via the search function in steam where if you narrow by tag = "Grand Strategy" go get "https[:]//store[.]steampowered[.]com/search/?term=tag%3D4364"
(fun aside, steam doesn't actually expose that tag via documented API paths so its a giant pain to programmatically get the list a games in a category via API calls and instead you need to scrap the site itself)

Additionally for why 4x games, the steam category is "Grand Strategy & 4x"
Great insight! thank you.

July 2023 has arrived and with it comes holiday time to play GSG! Big total increase (+15,75%) from last week, also for PDX (+5.53%).

The Summer sales are helping old games that are heavy discounted like Civ VI that has an increase of +33,91% players from last week, similar to Total War: Warhammer III (+23,23%). From PDX the biggest increase this week is for I:R (+23,40%) followed by CKIII (11,87%) both are discounted in steam (75% and 50%). All other games also discounted (EU IV, HOI IV, Stellaris and Victoria 3) increase their 24h peak players on Wednesday this week.

The only followed GSG that does not increase this week is Age of Wonders 4 (-12,01%) that without a discount has to compete against all the other discounted games for the attention of players.

How many of these new players that have bought the game in the summer sale will become long term players? We do not know.

1688564581120.png

Reactions:
Good afternoon in Europe Berlin time, sorry for the delay due to work issues but just in time to get the data for today. There is a down blip to all GSG (-7,13%) and PDX (-6,97%) 24h peak players this week compared to last week. Are the new players after the summer sale not hooked to their new GSG? It is not an easy genre.

The top games all lose players, so there might be a reason but it escapes me.

1689188181649.png

I:R also loses players (-1,43%) this week.

Victoria 3 loses as well but keeps a strong core of players (-0,43%)

Age of Wonders 4 however loses the most this week (-34,29%)

Reactions:
Well I can tell you when the new Invictus mod version drops I will help with the IR count.

Good morning,

This week GSG numbers are stable with +0,99% and +0,94% for only PDX compared to the previous week.

TOP GSG also remain more or less stable with HOI IV keeping up with an incredible long upward trend.

1689763455639.png

I:R stays stable too (-0,13%)

Victoria 3 too (+1,44%)

Age of Wodners 4 decreases -12,60% 24h peak players and is below Crusaders Kings II this week.

Reactions:
One day late, but the data is relevant as I took it yesterday, however I could not post the charts.

This week there is a slight descend on overall players from last week (-3,62%) for all GSG and (-0,44%) for PDX GSG but trend is still upward as seen in the openening post.

For the top GSG this is the updated chart for this week. The average change for top GSG is downard (-1,73%) with only Warhammer III and Sid Meier Civ V increasing players:

1690475627934.png

I:R descens significantly this week (-11,08%), this is odd as Lambert has started a MP campaign and other youtubers have been streaming the game.

Victoria 3 also decreases players (-6,64%)

Age of Wonders 4 loses the most (-16,90%)

• 3Like
Reactions: