I:R comparative performance with other GSG

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wild anecdotal speculation: it's crunch time with all the winter holidays coming up, so people are busy with work and other things. My guess is next week will be low for the genre overall as well. Looks like last year had a small bump around US Thanksgiving (which is in 15 days) and a larger bump around Christmas.

Of course, game sales, DLC releases, and promotional events can make individual games buck the trend, like that Civ 6 spike last year. Both CK3 and VIc 3 will have DLC out by your next snapshot. Stellaris has one imminent though I don't know the release date offhand.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Good morning,

This week there is a strong increase of PDX GSG (8,34%) compared to a stable figure for all other publishers (+0,12%). The average figure is +3,10%.

The top GSG show a recovery from HOI IV after the big release hangover and a jump for CK III and Victoria 3 after the release of their own DLCs.

1700045766858.png

The small caps GSG shows Victoria 3 off the chart while the other games keep their trends. We do not see Age of Wonders 4 jump after its DLC release because it is still not showing up in the Grand Strategy Category. 24h Peak Players for Age of Wonders are at 4500 this Wednesday.

1700045831630.png

Reactions:
Good morning, this week PDX GSG grow +4,25% from last week while the other publishers remain stable -0,42%. The average is +1,36%.

The reason for that increase is mainly Victoria 3. After the 1.5 patch, free weekend and now on sale. The game has reached the group of 5 GSG that have great success (EU IV, Civ V, CK III, Stellaris, Warhammer III). EDIT: Stellaris also jumps this week.

1700649973640.png

The small cap GSG remain stable this week, with a little uptick for Victoria II and Star Trek: Infinite at the same level than I:R.

1700650134749.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Good afternoon,

A small hickup for PDX this week (-4,47%) but an increase for other GSG publishers (+11,81%). Overall, an increase of 5,44% from last week.

CIV VI and Warhammer III have increased players while all PDX big shots have decreased this week:

1701262900435.png

The small caps on the other hand remain stable without much change this week:

1701262995075.png

Reactions:
all PDX big shots have decreased this week:
All? HoI4 seems to have stabilized after the post-DLC decrease and even climbed a tiny bit. Or didn't it fell among what you grouped semantically as "big shots"?

Reactions:
All? HoI4 seems to have stabilized after the post-DLC decrease and even climbed a tiny bit. Or didn't it fell among what you grouped semantically as "big shots"?
You are right, HOI4 is increasing this week. Sorry, I did not mentioned it. HOI IV is the big Kahuna

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wasn't it free Vic3 week-end too? I'm surprised it fell in this case.
Not only free week-end but now base game is on sale.

Vic3 is a fantastic game IMHO but it is a niche game because of its economics main theme. Historical recreation games are already niche but adding economics makes it more difficult to become popular.

Although 1.5 patch is about war, and this is always a selling point.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Good day everyone. We are reaching the end of the year and the long term trend is decreasing for all GSG games but not for PDX (see opening post chart). This week we see the same dip (-7,01%) as last year before the increase for the Xmas holidays. PDX (-6,55%) other publishers (-7,26%).

Almost all top GSG games are down this week, except for HOI IV and CIV V that keep their numbers stable:

1701865478278.png

The small PDX GSG remain stable with a small dip for I:R and StarTrek: Inifite this week:

1701865554690.png

Reactions:
Good morning,

We continue the downward trend from last week that will only recover the last week of December if we follow last year data. Overall GSG are down -1,34% with PDX down -5,88% and other publishers up +1,18%.

The TOP GSG show a decrease in all games except for the Civlization franchise:

1702462028316.png

The small PDX GSG also share this downward trend except for Victoria II that is living a small revival like Age of Wonders III.

1702462123691.png

Reactions:
Good afternoon, a bit delayed due to workload but this week update shows the awaited Xmas recovery (+4,78%), with PDX (+5,99%) and other publishers (+4,16%).

The big shots all go up, showing the big share of students playing GSG.

1703094528763.png

The small caps also show a big uptick, except or Star Trek: Infinite and Age of Wonders III. I:R is up!

1703094577827.png

Reactions:
Good afternoon,

Last week of the year sees the big holidays jump, a whooping +40,28% for PDX and +5,65% for other publishers for an overall increase of +17,57% from last week.

Looking at the big 8, all have big increases, specially the two big ones (Civ VI and HOI IV), showing their popularity. Civ VI reaches the same peak as last Xmas, while HOI IV has increased its Xmas peak +10,000 Peak players, amazing.

From the big ones, HOI IV is the one increasing the most its peak players from 2022 Xmas peak (+24%), followed by Crusaders Kings III (+8%) and Europa Universalis IV (+7%). On the other hand, the games that lose the most from its 2022 Xmas peak are Stellaris (-19%), Civ V (-8%), Victoria 3 (-7%), Total Warhammer III (-6%).

1703692389216.png

The small caps follow the same trend with increases across the board. However, in comparison from last Xmas peak, all games lose peak players: I:R (-2%), Victoria II (-4%), CK II (-19%), Age of Wonders III (-40%).

Long life to Imperator:Rome, happy Saturnalia to all!

1703692905766.png

Reactions:
Strange how many CK2 still has. I firmly believe they ended development there before it was truly done.

Reactions:
Good morning, you will have to excuse the lack of realignment in today’s charts as I only have an Ipad to produce them. Also, I identified an error last week, I added Civ V on PDX account by mistake. This has been corrected in the current OP chart.

This week there is still an increase for all GSG (+2,52%) with PDX (+1,17%) and others (+3,24%).

Most popular GSG remain upwards except Civ V and Victoria 3.

1704276276476.jpeg

For the less popular, I:R is the only one increasing from last week, maybe saturnalia or Xmas has a lure to play in ancient times setting.

1704276117957.jpeg

Reactions:
Xmas is officially over, the data is back to the long term trend and it is stable as you can see in the OP chart, the trend of GSG players is stable, the new games are only able to keep players but not increase them.

This week overall 24 peak players are down (-12,79%) with PDX (-14,96%) and others (-11,65%).

All the popular games are down this week. Compared to the same day last year (11/1/2023) the games that have lost peak players are Civ V, Civ VI, Stellaris and Victoria 3:

1704890310727.png

The small caps are also down as expected. Comparing data from 11/1/2023 the only game that gains players is I:R:

1704890745146.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Good afternoon,

Going back to normal this week, a slight increase of 2,35% for total 24h Peak Players this week compared to previous, with PDX (+2,27%) and other (+2,39%).

The top Guns are all up with different degrees. HOI IV the more enthusiastically up of all.

1705512696953.png

The small GSG also tick up except for Start Trek: Infinite that dives down under Age of Wonders III this week:

1705512550946.png

Last edited:
Reactions: