• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(36613)

Recruit
Dec 4, 2004
Hi, I want to download the patch 1.06, but would appreciate if someone could give me a start to finish best method to do so. I have a Windows XP operating system. I know this is a little naive, but I've actually never down loaded any patches to any games in the years I've had a computer. Thanx for any help.

No problem glad to help, you do not know what you have been missing if you never patch games, most are unplayable when released these days.

First, I will assume you know how to do things like make a new folder ...
If not just ask for specific help as needed.

First create a folder on your system, maybe a subfolder in the my documents folder.
Name it downloads. (Note you may already have one called My Downloads it is okay to use this if you want.)
Then create a sub folder in that folder called Hearts of Iron or HOI.
All this is just to keep things organized so you do not have a whole bunch of patches and files from different games and programs all together, so much so that you cannot tell what is what.

Now Go to the sticky thread in this forum named "the latest patch is..."
There you will find a hot link to the patch 1.06

Right click on this link - a pop up menu will appear - select "save target as"
Depending on your settings you may have a window ask if you want to run the file or save it. select save it.
A new window will appear asking where you want to save the file to navigate to the folder you created, if you followed my suggestion on where to put it the path would be My computer/My downloads/HOI.

Save the file.

The file will download, once it is complete, again depending on your settings you may get a box telling you and asking if you want to run the file or open the folder where it has been saved to. I prefer to run files myself so I open the folder and then double click the file name or icon again depending on your settings. If you do not get that pop up window then just navigate to the folder you had created and double click on the file to run it.

That is pretty much it. Once it is on your system then it is just like installing any other program.

Now some up dates are a little more complex those are the ones like the EU2 beta patches that are not self extracting and do not come with an installer like the official releases do. Let's get you comfortable with this proceedure first.

So in your case 1.06C is self extracting and comes with an installer so that is the one you want. You can tell this because the file extension of the patch is .exe which means it is EXEcutable.
If it is .zip or .rar for instance you first need to extract the patch then overwrite the files yourself, but as I said the 1.06C patch handles all that for you.

Any problems just let me know.

Thanx for the tips, a couple more things I need to ask, first off should I unistall/re-install the game before downloading the patch, and should I have MS service pack 2 downloaded. Once again, thanx for the assistance.

1) Always best to keep your operating system up to date.
2) The best thing to do is to make sure you have the latest Video driver for your video card. You can find the new driver on the manufaturer's site. Follow the same procudeures as listed here to install them.
3) No need to reinstall.
4) One thing to keep in mind with patches is that you need to know if they are sequencial or stand alone. That is if you are on ver 1.2 and you want to get to ver 1.6 do you need to install 1.3,1.4 and 1.5 before 1.6 or does 1.6 include all the changes in the previous patches. The trend for patches now is to be stand alone and that is the way most Paradox patches work, including 1.06C

You've been a huge help. Now, one last thing-determining your vidoe card manufactuer. My old HP that I bought in '96 was a lot easier to find that stuff out then this one. I'm assumming you go to my computer, right click for properties etc. but not sure. See what happens when you don't upgrade devices for 7 years. Also, more infant questions- is there a quicker way to download the patch? I still have dial-up, and cheap internet service so its gonna take 2 hours plus the conventional way. Maybe write it to a cd? Yesterday I had it 66% done, went to the store, and when I came back I had been disconnected. I quickly reconected and picked up where it left off. Then my pc crashed-another problem I've had with this over the year I've had it. By the time I re-booted and got back I had to start from the beginning. Aarghhhhh. This is a Compaq Persario pc.

thanx again for your troubles and advice.

Please run a DirectX Diagnostic:
Start menu –Run - then type Dxdiag, then select each tab across the top of the window, and run the tests on each tab. Then select “Save All Information” button in the lower right of the window. This will bring up a dialog box to allow you to select a name for the file where the information will be saved. You can save it right on the desktop as this will make it easy to find. Then copy the contents of that file from the start to the heading that says “DirectX components” then paste what you have copied into a post in this thread.

Do that and I can tell you what driver you need.