• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PravNeSeEbe

Recruit
16 Badges
Jul 11, 2020
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
Before 2 weeks I decided to uninstall some of my programs such as Java 64 bit & Visual Studio 2018. Since then my launcher cant load the game. I tried every advice that is given on the support site wall, but nothing help me, I even reinstalled the game several times. When I try to start the game and press the play button in the launcher, after few seconds a message "Launching the game failed" pops up in a tiny red triangle right from the START button. Any ideas how can I fix it?

Try to start the game from eu4.exe. That often gives a better error message. If you uninstalled visual studio, you may have uninstalled the microsoft c++ redistributables. If you get an error message about a missing DLL when you start from the exe file, it may help to (re-)install the microsoft visual c++ redistributables. You can get the 2019 version from this link. You may also need the 2015 version, the 32bit version of the 2010 version and the 64 bit version of the 2010 version. The 2019 and 2015 version both have a 32bit version(x86) and 64bit version(x64). Current eu4 versions probably need the 64bit version, but it wouldn't hurt to install the others as well.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well, it actually worked! Thank you m8, im surprised <3
What did work? Starting from the exe file or installing the microsoft libraries?
If starting from eu4.exe works but the launcher still gives the error message, that means that the problem is related to the launcher. Usually it is one of the following problems:
  • you configured the game to run as administrator, but the launcher doesn't run as administrator. In that case disable the option to run the game as administrator
  • you have an antivirus or ransomware protection software that prevents the launcher from writing its files. In that case you have to add the launcher(and eu4) to the exception list of your software
    • If you have Windows Defender(also called Microsoft Defender), add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list(here are instructions for that).
    • If you have bitdefender, add the launcher to the list of ransomware exceptions and "give it access" to "protected files".
  • the launcher installation is broken. That can be can often be fixed by reinstalling the launcher:
    • On Windows, first use the windows uninstall function to uninstall "Paradox Launcher v2"(if it is there). And then delete the launcher directories:
      • C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
      • C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
      • C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
      • Documents/paradox interactive/.cpatch/
      • every directory in Documents/paradox interactive/ that starts with launcher-v2
    • Afterwards you can start the game from steam again to reinstall the launcher.