• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amstaad

Recruit
59 Badges
Nov 5, 2014
  • Majesty 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
I've had Tyranny for about a year and I've logged almost 40 hours of play time. I've never had any issues with the game but suddenly for some reason the game has stopped working. When I click on the desktop icon the game starts, I see the obsidian logo for about a second and the game crashes to desktop with no error message.

I've tried verifying the game files through steam, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, updated my graphic drivers and restarted my computer but nothing seems to work.

I'm running the game on Windows 7 with an Nvidia 970. I'd appreciate it if someone could help or give me some advice on where to look for info on why the crash is occurring.

Upvote 0
I'm not really knowledgeable enough to give advice. You can check the file integrity in steam or you can go into the Tyranny folder and look at the output_log.txt file in the data subfolder. If there is an error it might show up there. You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. None of these worked for me but they came up in other posts I read while troubleshooting. If all else fails try filing a trouble ticket with Paradox customer care.

Hi there,

I am also having this problem. I bought the game on saturday and played it a bit on sundayevening. Now, the game crashes straight to the desktop after the introduction animations have played. I have un- and reinstalled the game twice and cannot find a save-file.

--
EDIT: Right, it seems that the anti-ransomware-part of my protection-software was to blame for the crash. I use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus and had to make an exception to get the game to work.

Last edited:
So I deleted my automatic saves that Tyranny creates in the saved games folder and was able to use the save file that I created myself with no issues. This seemed to work until I shut the game down and restarted it later. Then the error happened again (i.e. the game crashed while loading up). So I went in and deleted the autosaves again and it worked again until I shut the game down and restarted. Then I read Zerotowns post. I have Bitdefender as well. I went in and added Tyranny to the anti-ransomware white list and now the game works fine. Looks like the definitive answer is that the problem isn't with Tyranny but with Bitdefender antivirus software. Thanks Zerotown.

So I deleted my automatic saves that Tyranny creates in the saved games folder and was able to use the save file that I created myself with no issues. This seemed to work until I shut the game down and restarted it later. Then the error happened again (i.e. the game crashed while loading up). So I went in and deleted the autosaves again and it worked again until I shut the game down and restarted. Then I read Zerotowns post. I have Bitdefender as well. I went in and added Tyranny to the anti-ransomware white list and now the game works fine. Looks like the definitive answer is that the problem isn't with Tyranny but with Bitdefender antivirus software. Thanks Zerotown.

Glad you got it working as well!
Bitdefender released an update recently, with a feature that pops up asking you if you want to engage the ransomware-functionality. I guess I enabled it at one point, which explains why the game worked at first but failed later.