• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

rocklee

Private
1 Badges
Sep 3, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I warmly welcome!

I've been playing this version for a long time, but I'm still losing it. Take for example the game Bolivia. So what if I will win the war with Chile and Argentina (I will take their territory) + I DON'T CREATE A PERU, then in short, I am lame anyway (it is about the matters of the economy ofc). The biggest problem is, for example, Brazil. I can take nothing from Chile and Argentina (and having diplomatic relations of ~ + 100 with Brazil, and even without my big badboy (<10), they can declare war on me xD). How am I supposed to play with this country? In elections such as nepotism vs bureaucracy (as well as other elections) do I always take an option concretely? Does it depend on the country concerned? Apart from proper research and conquests - how to increase prestige? Is it worth giving 100% to the taxes of the richest in the beginning to destroy the aristocracy and then create capitalists? (then reducing taxes to 0%)? There is a tutorial, but I don't understand it. Because if I gave low taxes right away, Bolivia (and 99% of countries) is in the negative. Similarly, it is best to create what units to attack the mountains? Is there a technology discovery scheme for mega backward countries? Please help because this game is super addictive. If I'm from Poland and the translation of the guide DOESN'T ALWAYS SOUND SENSIBLY in my language.

Although it may come as a surprise I've not that much experience playing VIP:R although I've improved its files over the last years. Well, you can't have both? ;)

Apart from proper research and conquests - how to increase prestige?
Researching cultures techs will be beneficial for increasing your prestige.
There is a tutorial, but I don't understand it. Because if I gave low taxes right away, Bolivia (and 99% of countries) is in the negative.
The tutorials of the old Paradox games are not that helpful.:(

Well, I can give you some generic advice to stabilise your budget:
* set education to the maximum
* crime fighting should be a priority but can be reduced slightly if there are other pressing needs
* set social spending to the minimum
* defense spending can - usually - be reduced, if you don't plan to recruit new units or go to war.
* reducing army or navy maintenance will immediately reduce the strength of your units. So you might want to keep army maintenance at maximum but it'll cost you.

At the beginning, set tariffs to the maximum and then adjust your taxes accordingly so that you don't run any deficit. A small surplus will soon build up a nice buffer for the additional expenses that will come your way in the near future.
Similarly, it is best to create what units to attack the mountains?
There are no units with special training to fight in difficult terrain - that is a feature of HOI.

Carefully choose the provinces where you want to attack an enemy army. Being attacked is generally favorable. It is just as important to have a leader for your troops!
Is there a technology discovery scheme for mega backward countries? Please help because this game is super addictive.
Read carefully the descriptions of the techs available for research.

Besides reading help threads in the forums, visiting the Paradox wikis is hightly recommended

Take a closer look at the Assorted guides page of the Victoria wiki.

There you'll find almost all the information you need.
If I'm from Poland and the translation of the guide DOESN'T ALWAYS SOUND SENSIBLY in my language.
Just in case you don't fully understand what I've written simply use DeepL to translate my answers into Polish.

I'll leave the rest of your questions to other, more experienced players.

k, so far I gave up on Bolivia - I play on the Vic mod: R - VIP Turks and due to one stupid declaration of war by Russia already in 1851 they took my country in Asia and I went bankrupt once. I was sitting in Africa conquering non-civilized countries = if I did not annex I got 0 BB. I have everything discovered (apart from technology: V). I have prestige ~ -950. The year is ~ 1975 and a lot of areas conquered from non-civilized countries (BB <5). I do not know what to do to quickly gain this prestige, because I probably do not have a multitude of mini-events unlocked by him; / Please help. Thx for answer :D

k, so far I gave up on Bolivia - I play on the Vic mod: R - VIP Turks and due to one stupid declaration of war by Russia already in 1851
Your Ottomans experienced an early Crimean War, almost at its historical date.

Bolivia and the Ottoman Empire are not among the countries which are usually recommended for beginners. These are e.g. Belgium, Brazil or Sweden.
they took my country in Asia and I went bankrupt once. I was sitting in Africa conquering non-civilized countries = if I did not annex I got 0 BB. I have everything discovered (apart from technology: V). I have prestige ~ -950. The year is ~ 1975 and a lot of areas conquered from non-civilized countries (BB <5).
If you're still playing in the year >> 1975 << and wondering why you have -950 prestige, you're doing something terribly wrong. Sorry, but the game is to be played 1836-1935; the events of VIP:R run out around 1920. Playing beyond 1935 certainly breaks some game mechanics...
I do not know what to do to quickly gain this prestige, because I probably do not have a multitude of mini-events unlocked by him; / Please help. Thx for answer :D
Paradox games, especially the earlier ones, have a steep learning curve. The Victoria wiki is the perfect place to start. There you'll find almost all the information you need.

I read the instructions for inviting immigrants and I'm doing everything okay, but somehow they do not appear: (The population only increases every month not by 1000, but by 3000. Where do I go wrong? once, because I'm probably making a mistake somewhere, but where? :(