• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MeiSooHaityu

Field Marshal
13 Badges
Jan 3, 2018
  • Cities: Skylines
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Magicka
In my playthrough I had finally completed a Hatchetman 3X and I have to say that I love this mech!

Even with Assaults in my mechbay, I still keep this mech at the ready for lower skull contracts. With 4 ERSLasers (3 of which are +10 Dmg), 2 MLasers, and 1 SRM4 it has decent firepower. Add in a +60 melee damage arm mod and leg mods totaling +25 DFA Dmg and it is so much fun to play. I also run 4 JJs and a +3 to hit Gyro.

Weapon damage is 248 and Melee Damage is 170. DFA Dmg is 135.

I normally save 'vigilance' for it's movement as well.

The great thing is, after melee, the ERs fire adding in 150 additional damage (it will be 160 if I can find one more +10 Dmg ERSLaser.

The only bad thing is I have a tendency to 'play with my food' and try to use the Hatchetman as a finisher. It is still a 45 ton medium, so even armored up it is still fragile.

Reactions:
I tried to like the hatchetman but with 2x 60 dmg arm mods the shadowhawk seems to do everything better.

I see what you mean, and if comparing the Shadow Hawk to a Hatchetman 3F I'd probably pick the Shadow Hawk. The 3X though, with the added support weapons, I just like it for getting close.

Combine it with the Hatchet and animations, it is fun for me the play and it looks cool.

If there was one thing I wish it did better, I wish it was faster.

Yeah the speed is my primary gripe with the Hatchetman. Even in Urban biomes that little bit of extra walking distance helps the shadowhawk avoid getting punched while it closes, which can be a real issue against heavies and assaults. I wish we could up-engine good ol hatchy.

Of course with HM I outfitted a Vulcan for close combat and don't need to worry about getting punched back.

The 3X I typically try to place 4xSmall Lasers+++ (and not ER's due to the extra heat), a single ER Medium Laser for the occasional situation that I don't need to Guard as I approach the target and its pilot doesn't have Sensor Lock, nearly full armour and 4 Jump Jets, along with whatever Melee mods I can find (IIRC, one of those 1t +60 Dmg and two or three +10 Dmg and two of those weightless -10 DFA Self-Dmg).
I just love using it in a flanking or rear attack! :D Even if it hits a limb, it's still enough to debilitate the target...

Also, I usually prefer to have an Outrider on its cockpit, though a Recon/Scout can also be useful. But I customize the mech definitely for getting close and hurting, so it just makes more sense to me for the Outrider.

Had a mission yesterday where I performed the "Play with my food'" strategy with the Hatchetman. I used my lance to soften up the enemy and then ran my Hatchetman from mech to mech, taking one out at a time :). I did this for 3 of the 4 enemy mechs. I only killed one of the enemy mechs with my lance because it exposed it's rear to go after the Hatchetman. :)

I just love watching that mech hack and slash.

Sustained Melee Combat is fun... but care must be taken to maintain Evasion Chevrons and/or Bulwarking. Without one or the other a Mech engaged in Sustained Melee Combat will itself becomes a target for Enemy Reinforcements and or remaining Targets, or Targets that were missed by an attempted Melee Attack. And once THAT begins to go sideways... well, I’ve lost plenty of Firestarters, Hatchetmen and Grasshoppers pursuing the Joys of Melee Combat.

Sustained Melee Combat is fun... but care must be taken to maintain Evasion Chevrons and/or Bulwarking. Without one or the other a Mech engaged in Sustained Melee Combat will itself becomes a target for Enemy Reinforcements and or remaining Targets, or Targets that were missed by an attempted Melee Attack. And once THAT begins to go sideways... well, I’ve lost plenty of Firestarters, Hatchetmen and Grasshoppers pursuing the Joys of Melee Combat.

I always try to keep my Hatchetman mobile and I always use vigalence with it. That combined with a Master Tactician pilot always gives me a lot of options.

Plus, the mech is almost fully armored from and rear which helps a lot.

Lastly, I also have 4 ERSLasers on it, all doing 40 Dmg each. It is a bit hot with JJs, but with an all 10s Mechwarrior, it isn't bad. Plus it allows me to jump in and strike while maintaining enough distance to keep the enemy out of melee range in most cases.

It is one of my funnest mechs to play (other than the quad UA/C5 mechs I have :)

This is the setup I like to run...

Hatchetman.jpg

Attachments

• Rep.png
    Rep.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Does the Arm Mod melee damage stack with the Hatchet damage, even though they're equipped in different arms?

Yep. The mech does 170 melee damage, and then with the small lasers, an additional 160. It is pretty devastating.

Reactions:
I bet it is... A 45-tons BattleMech able to deal 330 damage, when my alter-ego commander's 90-tons Highlander HGN-732B has a 402 Dam + 110 Stab Alpha firepower output, and his bodyguard's 100-tons Atlas II AS7-D-HT has a 592 + 60 Alpha is truly impressive.!:D

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Hatchetman isn't the hardest hitting or best melee mech in the game.

However, it is the Best hatchet swinging melee mech in the game :)

I don't use the Hatchetman with the big boys, but on those 3 Skull or lower contracts, I take it out and let it run wild :)

Reactions:
I've been thinking about another Medium Mech Campaign Run. Maybe I could do a Hatchetman only run? Hmm.

That might be pretty challenging. I'll have to build myself up to take on that one though lol

Well, I decided to start a Hatchetman Campaign run. I don't know for sure if I will see it through, or even make it through. However if I get close to when things start getting difficult, Ill let everyone know how it is turning out.

Here are a couple screens...

Every Mech is named after a slasher. There is Krueger, Voorhees, Myer, Hyde, Pennywise, and Bates. Figure if my lance is swinging hatchets, it sort of seemed appropriate. Plus I might get slaughtered trying lol.
MechBay.jpg

Barracks.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
My careers are usually very long, especially if Galaxy at War is involved (as it is again now thanks to donZappo making it compatible with Hyades Rim) but when it ends, I am so there for a Hatchet company run. Love me some 3X also.

• 1Like
Reactions: