I just finished my first full game of DH, 1933 to 1963 scenario. Is it common for nothing at all to happen after the defeat of Germany?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

alexvk3bqn

Sergeant
Aug 27, 2020
I fully understand that the game allows for a lot of variation in events, but is this a common occurrence?

Or have I hit another rare combination of events?

Or did I do something that drove the game mad?

I was playing as Australia, DH full, tech-team takeover on, otherwise standard default settings.
Solo game against the computer.

Germany, the last remaining axis country was defeated and annexed on 11 October 1945.

From that point on, almost nothing happened.

There was nobody I could declare war on, even if I wanted to, nobody else declared war on anybody, and with almost no personnel, I couldn't build units, so I just spent the rest of the game building factories and infrastructure and other things that didn't require manpower.

I also built a line of fortifications along the European land border with Russia.

I researched almost all the tech I could, the only 2 I didn't get being the "1970" ones.

I bought a few more units to build up if needed, a lot of provinces to allow me to release some very minor countries as puppets, and built air and naval bases and bought ASW destroyers to give my puppets, but, basically from late 1945 to 1st January 1964 I did almost nothing.
(I built the bases for my puppets where possible, because if they don't have them, they won't get ANY of the relevant tech. I would assume that everybody knows that.)

Is this kind of thing common?

As I said, I understand there can be wide variations in how the game plays out, but this was pretty much the least likely possibility I had considered.

Many uninterrupted years of peace is a good thing in real life, but it didn't make for a "gripping" game.

I ask partly because, as I have said, I played a lot of HOI2, and it almost always went into another war within a year or 2 of the defeat of the axis powers.
(Usually much less.)
It rarely, if ever, included more than one or two years of peace in an entire game.

I did find out, mostly by accident, that you don't necessarily need all of the "necessary" provinces listed in the revolt.txt file to release a country as a puppet.
Several can be released with only a couple of the provinces, and a couple of them with only the capital province.
That was something I didn't know.
The rules on this point seem to be inconsistent and unclear to me.

I understand I have been asking a lot of questions, but I'm still trying to get a "feel" for the game, and looking for helpful advice.

Alexvk3bqn

Thank you for the response.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "OTL".
I'm still learning what a lot of the terms and abbreviations that people use mean.

In that specific game, by the time the war with Germany ended I controlled every land province in mainland Europe between the Russian Border and France, except for Greece and Switzerland.
(That's how I was able to build fortifications on the Russian border before releasing the puppets.)

In Asia I controlled Japan, Korea, Indochina, Thailand the Philippines and some more.

I also controlled Iraq, Israel, and a few minor African countries.

I agree, it wasn't "historically accurate".

I admit that it's possible I confused the game to the point of preventing anything further happening.

In HOI2 I often reached a similar point, but it almost never just "stopped" anything further going on.

There would almost always be something else happening, usually within a year or 2 of the end of WWII, and usually when America would declare war on Russia for some unexplained reason, Russia would declare war on the world, or war would break out in Korea.

(By the way, in HOI2 the "Korean independence" event had a bug. It always assumed that either America or Russia would control it. That's not what usually happened in the games I played, and it would commonly get confused.)

I just keep seeming to see strange things.

In the 1914 scenario I played, the war ended 2 years early when both sides just gave up.

In an earlier 1933 "test run", America kept nuking Germany starting in 1944.

My current game has gone REALLY weird.
(Greece joined the Axis. Japan and Nationalist China are at war, sitting on the borders and shouting at each other. Japan NEVER attacked America. Germany invaded Spain after the Nationalists won the civil war, (weren't they almost allied?) instead of attacking Russia, and only just declared war on them in mid 1943. Things are getting "interesting".)

Variation makes the game interesting, and it DOES teach you the error of making assumptions.

But it can be confusing.

Alexvk3bqn

There is really only one important cold war event is 2049055 (and his twin brother 2007063)

event = { id = 2007063 random = no country = SOV name = EVT_69_NAME desc = EVT_70_DESC style = 2 picture = "news_paper" trigger = { owned = { province = 572 data = SOV } # Moscow OR = { control = { province = 1221 data = USA } # Pyongyang, North Korea control = { province = 525 data = USA } # Helsinki, Finland control = { province = 2159 data = USA } # Stockholm, Sweden control = { province = 2172 data = USA } # Kabul, Afghanistan control = { province = 1085 data = USA } #, Iran control = { province = 1035 data = USA } # Baghdad, Iraq control = { province = 321 data = USA } # Sofia, Bulgaria control = { province = 409 data = USA } # Istanbul, Turkey control = { province = 316 data = USA } # Bucharest, Romania control = { province = 207 data = USA } # Prague, Czechoslovakia control = { province = 264 data = USA } # Riga, Latvia control = { province = 262 data = USA } # Kaunas, Lithuania control = { province = 270 data = USA } # Tallin, Estonia control = { province = 232 data = USA } # Warzaw, Poland control = { province = 1247 data = USA } # Beijing, China } NOT = { atwar = USA } atwar = no random = 60 } date = { day = 0 month = january year = 1936 } offset = 30 deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1963 } action_a = { ai_chance = 80 name = EVT_70_ACTA command = { type = war which = USA } command = { type = relation which = USA value = -50 } command = { type = domestic which = defense_lobby value = 1 } command = { type = domestic which = interventionism value = 1 } } action_b = { ai_chance = 20 name = EVT_70_ACTB command = { type = relation which = USA value = -25 } command = { type = domestic which = defense_lobby value = -1 } command = { type = domestic which = interventionism value = -1 } command = { type = dissent value = 1 } } }

It is surprisingly hard to trigger as it doesn't count clients.

Some people use OTL to talk about historical events that actually happened: eg. OTL, Napoleon was sent into exile on St. Helena. Usually the intent is to contrast that with what happened in a story with a historical setting.

That would probably explain it.

The events almost all seem to rely on either America or Russia controlling certain regions, or taking certain actions to trigger.

The programmers may not have been expecting other countries to "get involved" to the extent I do.

Thank you for the explanation.

It clarifies a few things in my mind.

I'm curious, do you know what "OTL" actually stands for?
Or is it just one of those terms that people use but don't know the meaning of?

Alexvk3bqn

That would probably explain it.

The events almost all seem to rely on either America or Russia controlling certain regions, or taking certain actions to trigger.

The programmers may not have been expecting other countries to "get involved" to the extent I do.

Thank you for the explanation.

It clarifies a few things in my mind.

I'm curious, do you know what "OTL" actually stands for?
Or is it just one of those terms that people use but don't know the meaning of?

Alexvk3bqn
What does OTL NOT stand for? ^^
I would take "Our timeline"