• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Oerdin

Lt. General
52 Badges
Aug 3, 2002
www.apolyton.net
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I loved playing the board game of Diplomacy and I loved other Paradox titles (EU2, Victoria: Revolutions, HOI2: Arm) but you folks really dropped the ball on this one. The AI is possibly the worst I've seen and the interface seems like it was designed as an after thought by a software geek. That last part is especially disappointing since the AI is such a turd and the poor interface makes even multiplayer cumbersome. I expected better from a company which turns out games like HOI2 and Victoria.

Diplomacy is MP game, and nothing else. A good Dippy SP game need significally more advanced computers. Expecting anything else is everything but meaningfull

Diplomacy is a difficult game to make good, since its basic complexity is comparative with chess, only you have to account for seven different players. So yes, it is difficult.

As for the interface, it was the first attempt at true-3D, so it was a learning experience. At least it paid dividends in that Eu3 is really pretty ;)

Nikolai II said:
...As for the interface, it was the first attempt at true-3D, so it was a learning experience. At least it paid dividends in that Eu3 is really pretty ;)
you mean rome, not eu3 ;)

btw, any plans to make a diplomacy 2?

Rome is even prettier I suppose ;)

As for Diplomacy 2, I do not think it is high on the agenda. Needs a leap in AI technology first to be really good.. but it's not as if they tell me anything over here :D

I'd like a Diplomacy 2 which a much streamlined interface, rock stable MP, and no avatars, but that'd be me and about only 15 other customers.

Since this thread now accounts for most of the traffic on this subforum I retitled it to something more palatable.

And I think that Diplomacy 2 you describe could attract at least fifty-seven customers. Which still isn't a whole lot :p

Nikolai II said:
Since this thread now accounts for most of the traffic on this subforum I retitled it to something more palatable.

And I think that Diplomacy 2 you describe could attract at least fifty-seven customers. Which still isn't a whole lot :p
game would be more interesting with about 5-10 timesmore provinces,and 10-20 nations :p

and yes, this could be done without making it EU 0.5 :p

jorian said:
game would be more interesting with about 5-10 timesmore provinces,and 10-20 nations :p

and yes, this could be done without making it EU 0.5 :p
Someone doens't know what Diploamcy is about I gather.

Diplomacy by Paradox Interactive <is no good>. Don't buy it. Ever.

Sorry if you see this as trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nomble said:
Diplomacy by Paradox Interactive <is no good>. Don't buy it. Ever.

Sorry if you see this as trolling.

As long as you state your opinion in a sensible and adult way, using proper language, then you are not trolling.

Might on enquire about your reasons to think that Diplomacy is sub-par as a computer game? (I'm not really restricting myself to PI here - I've played several Diplomacy computer games from different distributors, and none of them have been very good, for about the same reasons..)

Snake IV said:
Someone doens't know what Diploamcy is about I gather.

There are Dip variants that big, my own Known World 901 among them, but unfortunately the severe limitations of the moddability of the Paradox Diplomacy game prevent adapting it.

David E. Cohen said:
There are Dip variants that big, my own Known World 901 among them, but unfortunately the severe limitations of the moddability of the Paradox Diplomacy game prevent adapting it.
Yes, I've made a big one too, but that's not the point. You don't make bigger variant because such games are better, but because you want variation in the game.

Snake IV said:
Yes, I've made a big one too, but that's not the point. You don't make bigger variant because such games are better, but because you want variation in the game.

You are probably right for most players, but there are some people I know who prefer really large variants because of the potential for interaction with many, many players in the same game.

Nikolai II said:
Diplomacy is a difficult game to make good, since its basic complexity is comparative with chess, only you have to account for seven different players. So yes, it is difficult.

As for the interface, it was the first attempt at true-3D, so it was a learning experience. At least it paid dividends in that Eu3 is really pretty ;)

Yet I have very good* chess software on my PC.
One of the suggestions made to Paradox early on was that the software integrate an "opening book" like many chess programmes do.
It would be a brilliant feature if it allowed players to input a set of moves and be told what the opening is and the intent of it
http://www.diplom.org/Online/Openings/interactive.html?

*Read: *It whips my arse every time*

As for the 3D and Eu3: Please don't discuss Eu3 here - as we are not allowed to discuss Diplomacy there.

About EU3: Lucky me that I am more lenient in my moderation, or I would have to chastise myself :D

About Diplomacy/Chess: Chess still doesn't have any diplomacy and no simultaneous moves, so it is waaaay easier to make a computer manage well.

he he
I must say that taking chess intergration and adapt it to diplomacy ai is good.
the other thing that would make this game sell more would be to include the top 10-20 (!) variations. that would definitely attract more people and create a community.

Please remember, Paradox does not own unlimited rights to Diplomacy, only a license to the rights of Diplomacy. The parent-rights are held by Hasboro.

Thus, decisions about a "Diplomacy 2", future patches, changes to the AI, etc. are all out of their hands.

It is fun to speculate on what could be / could have been, but Paradox doesn't have the same freedom to reopen the game as they do with their EU titles, for example. :)