• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
tense stuff, and I fear rather realistic in Central Asia. Also looks as if the Taipeng revolt if not over is dieing down.

but if you can avoid a major defeat (I mean who needs to worry over 3 divisions?) then you are on the verge of a prestige victory

Any idea what in particular made those battles in Central Asia so disastrous? It seems unlikely that their troops were of better quality, so why the bloodbath of the redcoats?

Besides Central Asia, I see you're improvising in India and Persia, while I wholeheartedly approved of your elegant plan in dealing with the Boer Republics. ;)

tense stuff, and I fear rather realistic in Central Asia. Also looks as if the Taipeng revolt if not over is dieing down.

but if you can avoid a major defeat (I mean who needs to worry over 3 divisions?) then you are on the verge of a prestige victory

Yes, the Taipeng revolt seems to be cooling, perhaps time to give China something else to worry about?

Any idea what in particular made those battles in Central Asia so disastrous? It seems unlikely that their troops were of better quality, so why the bloodbath of the redcoats?

Besides Central Asia, I see you're improvising in India and Persia, while I wholeheartedly approved of your elegant plan in dealing with the Boer Republics. ;)

Yes, overconfidence, I noticed they had some infantry and a large fort battery and thought no more, I guess because the battle was fought in mountains the frontage would have been very narrow and their guns had a field day slaughtering my columns as they trundled up the pass.

Second quarter 1857

Second quarter 1857

Quarter highlights:
After a long time waiting for something to start I got bored and declared war on Persia and Transvaal. On the same turn the Indian Mutiny started, also I am fighting rebel held provinces in central asia.
So I give you not one war, not two wars, not three wars but four wars, real value for money.
My plan against the rebels in central asia was to send in overwhelming force and take Kashgar as the gateway. This has gone horribly wrong in two terribly one sided battles I lost most of three divisions. This is the worst military disaster I have ver managed, 10:1 casualty ratio with me losing 38k. I think the next attempt will bypass Kashgar.
My plan against Persia consisted of building up a large force and using it to invade the coastal provinces, this has been put on hold whilst waiting for the forces that have been diverted to fight the Indian Mutiny. As a token I probed with one brigade and occupied a border town of Zahedan. The foreces from the Transvaal have been shipped to Persia and taken two coastal ports. However, a counterattack at Zahedan has driven me out and rebels have occupied a province behind me. Time to unleash the Afghan army I inherited when they became a colony. A disastrous miscalculation lead to the defeat and destruction of an expeditionary force sent to take Hormuz.
My plan against the Indian Mutiny consisted of gathering what forces I had and rushing them to contain the rebels. This went badly as more rebels kept appearing. I have now built and scraped forces to create an army based out of Bombay advancing North to Delhi, a force from Calcutta advancing west, a force from Peshawar advancing East and a force in Lucknow advancing South. It begins to look as though the rebellion may be contained. In fact a bold diplomat crept through enemy lines and talked their leaders into surrendering. They had 1,000+ combat power gathered at Delhi plus other armies. However, the loss of all provinces except for Delhi and Meerut had evidently unnerved them.
The attack on Transvaal involved great cleverness, I formed my forces on the border and advanced straight towards the enemy, then assaulted their defences and destoyed all their forces. For this my comanders received three commendations between them. SAR have offerred peace several times, I am waiting for the war score to creep up, because I did not border Pretoria which was the purpose of the attack I cannot get it in a peace deal.
Exploring Africa has gone horribly wrong, after my explorers ran out of supplies last time I attached some supply wagons and sent them in again. The supply wagons used up their supplies and have mostly disappeared due to lack of supplies as they rush back to the coast. In Garissa I am trying a new tack, it was occupied by rebels and I have brought the impis and driven them out and built a depot from where I can explore. In Arabia I am trying to use Turkish towns as bases for exploration.
Still working on converting the central asian states to British.
China has continued become more and more angry with me and I have aquired a CB against them. This could mean war?

My Plans:
Short
Victory in India
Persia invasion.
Central Asia build a depot network to create a path around the hills.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Improve relations with foreigners.
Add new colonies.
Expand into central asia to forestall russia

Actions by turn:
175. 2 x demo, 10 x school, 3 x road,
176. 2 x demo, 3 x cede,
177. 2 x demo, 6 x bribe,
178. 2 x demo
179. 2 x demo

Key:
Brig is short for brigade
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
demo for Naval demo (cost 20 money get 20 PP)
geog Geographical Expedition (cost 125 capital get 100 PP)
PP prestige points
Number after province means increase of colonial pentration
Province on own under colonial means gained in size of city

Results by turn:
175. Event:aukland +12, tuareg, arawak, italy subsidy goods; Battle:nasik 2460/2460 won, ; Movement:ulundi, korugh, bhopal, agra, cawnpore, amritsar, lydenburg, gulf of oman,; New unit:completed div surat, gems qatar, trucial, dubai, exploit darjeeling; Control:annex 34 soldiers 821 money, 197 elements Afghanistan under flag; System:eek:utram congratulated; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:611; Colony:rajput peace, prussia declared war on france, we lost 28 PP, france vs prussia 806/81, mission chitral, korugh, kokand, kulab, schools sukkur, multan, quetta, kalat, bamyan, denra, simla, srinagar, pegu, zanzibar, colony kabul, dominion newfoundland, geog abha, portugal tele luanda, rebels leh, rebels altushan joined china, sierra leone 4, ;
176. Event:tukolor, japan, germany medal, japan drains,; Battle:indore 1640/1537 won, bhopal 205/615 won, cawnpore 0/200 won, bandar abbas 7585/2665 lost,; Movement:indore, makran, bam, ulundi, gorakhpur, persian gulf, oceania MT, coast of malabar, jaipur, gwalior, balkh, ghazni, hormuz, jumla, agra; New unit:completed 5 x supply peshawar, tropical myitkyina; Control:amritsar, jask, bam; System:trans supplies, complete emancipation, basic male sufrage,; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:615; Colony:peace offer SAR, 2 x demo, TP ashgabat, kyzilkum, protectorate fiji, us suppress se minnesota, portugal merch luanda, ;
177. Event:france rejected nobility, austria urban transportation, RR buenos aries,; Battle:ghazni 820/615 won, mangalore 5740/1486 won, ; Movement:lucknow, mangalore, bombay, makran, hormuz, ulundi, aurangabad, singapore, ; New unit:completed div calcutta, school zanzibar, bamyan, kalat, quetta, sukkur, multan, chitral, srinagar, simla, denra, pegu, mission kulab, kokand, korugh, governor kabul, ; Control:annex 26 soldiers 831 money, 2 elements, depot makran, mangalore,; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:625; Colony:rejected SAR peace, austria state saxony, mugalistan offer peace, customs bangkok, 2 x demo, explored kisumu, bribe destroyed meerut, bribes walvis, tahiti, kota bharu, kuantan, kuala lumpur, ashgabat, kyzilkum, colony katmandu, transkei 5,;
178. Event:50k Aus and NZ, 131K Can, 20K SA, banjarmasin, france rejected nobility, france referendum,; Battle:bandar abbas 0/51 won,; Movement:lamu, amritsar, baghalpur, mombassa, mysore, ; New unit:coal, completed 3 x supply bombay, TP ashgabat, kyzilkum, consulate fiji; Control:delhi, bandar abbas, supply bandar abbas; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:638; Colony:mysore peace, mughalistan surrendered, SAR peace offer, state expired siam lastin, state expired usa lasting, 2 x demo, bribes kyzilorda, mission kuching, explored halaban, geog kilwa, ;
179. Event:tuareg, hottento, usa drains; Battle:retreat aden, garissa; Movement:hormuz, coast of malabar, medina, garissa, bam, hoshangabad, srinagar, katmandu, simla; New unit:9 x fort, RR, completed div bombay, 5 x artillery bombay, coal NE, governor katmandu,; Control:rebels iranchar, makran, depot hormuz; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:640; Colony:rejected SAR, geog failed garissa, kilwa, 2 x demo, bribes yarkand, explored karasburg, customs failed anto domingo, prussia ethno samoa, rebels macedonia joined turkey, ;
180. Event:ndebele,; Battle:zahedan 1435/512 lost,; Movement:gilgit, kokand, garissa,; New unit:completed 3 x brig bombay, ammo EM, mission kuching; Control:merv, depot garissa, lost zahedan; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:641; Colony:nepal peace, usa state, SAR peace, explore failed hail, dithakong, geog failed kilwa, 2 x demo, protectorate merv, tele nizamabad, vizagapatam, colonists hyderabad, kurnool, chitadroog, france cede antananarivo, france cede kaolok, france colonists saigon, ;

Notes:
1. Still buying merchant ship replacements.
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. Another military disaster, invaded hormuz without checking there were no defenders there, whole force destroyed.
4. Made a mistake and offerred mutineers surrender option and they took it?
5. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am still hoping to advance into this area. Will avoid Kashgar. And a other border province has sprouted a fortress battery so it too is off the agenda.
6. War against Transvaal has gone well, their army has been eliminated, now to see if they will accept a sensible peace?
7. Persia has driven me out of Zahedan but I took a couple of provinces on the coast. Then their rebels occupied some provinces behind my lines. Very confusing.

Progress:
Gained 1494 PP in quarter, target grew by 1420; to date 29613 against 29356. So will achieve target in -3 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 26 quarters.
Russia is now second again.

Position Summary:
Have added 138 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 39 railroads, so 2 ahead my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 98%. Militancy 1%, Education 96%.
The value of my stocks is 25,004; previous quarter 24,618.
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 79. So now strongest.

Navy Board:
Develop bases across the world.
Won first naval battle off the Arakan Coast.
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76
Fleets: 2 transport fleets

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 49 11 10
Casualties 146340 84711
% win 70%
Loss per battle 2091 1210 73%
Start of quarter needed 296 hits replaced, end of quarter 225. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (185).
175. nasik 2460/2460 won,
176. indore 1640/1537 won, bhopal 205/615 won, cawnpore 0/200 won, bandar abbas 7585/2665 lost,
177. ghazni 820/615 won, mangalore 5740/1486 won,
178. bandar abbas 0/51 won,
179. retreat aden, garissa
180. zahedan 1435/512 lost,

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 53% goods sold 607, by the end 51% and 641.
Delivering 55% of luxuries.

Colonial office:
Establish more colonies and protectorates
Develop provinces in colonies
Gain maximum prestige points
colony kabul, dominion newfoundland, protectorate fiji, colony katmandu, protectorate merv,
explored halaban, geog kilwa,

Foreign office:
Develop good relations with friends.
Ensure key allies are protected
Relations France(33), Prussia(42), Austria(43), US(100), Russia(9), Japan(19), Italy(28), Turkey(93), China(-70), Belgium(33), Denmark(46), Greece(40), Netherlands(38), Portugal(38), Spain(29), Sweden(30), Brazil(40), Chile(43)
Relations France(35), Prussia(14), Austria(44), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(20), Italy(27), Turkey(99), China(-65), Belgium(33), Denmark(47), Greece(42), Netherlands(42), Portugal(39), Spain(29), Sweden(30), Brazil(39), Chile(47)
2 overall loss over 18 countries. China has disappeared from the F10 screen, I must have really upset them.
prussia declared war on france, we lost 28 PP, france vs prussia 806/81,

Taiping war:
36. China 6k casualties, taiping war started 6k
42. China 63k casualties 57k
48. China 78k casualties 15k
54. China 90k casualties 12k
60. China 166k casualties 76k
66. China 238k casualties 72k
72. China 246k casualties 8k
78. China 264k casualties 18k
84. China 271k casualties 7k
90. China 271k casualties 0k
96. China 281k casualties 10k
102. China 284k casualties 3k
108. China 317k casualties 33k
114. China 324k casualties 7k
120. China 331k casualties 7k
126. China 352k casualties 21k
132. China 371k casualties 19k
138. China 394k casualties 23k
144. China 397k casualties 3k
150. China 398k casualties 1k
156. China 399k casualties 1k
162. China 430k casualties 31k
168. China 434k casualties 4k

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
8. Duala
10. Uzbekistan
11. Kirgistan
12. Tibet
13. Defense treaty Sweden
15. Defense treaty Prussia
16. Defense treaty Austria
17. China, for forging a CB

probably good to have resolved India, esp if a clash with China is on the cards.

& you don't know how jealous this makes me:

That is perhaps the problem with Italy, you don't know if the unification process will kick-off or be derailed, with GB you make your own way, I have a force of 16 divisions based in Bombay, so I guess China had better watch out.

I see loki's not the only one jealous of your bellicosity, as the Prussians have declared war on the Frenchies some 13 years ahead of schedule!

When you accepted the Mutineers' surrender, did that mean they gave up and gracefully put themselves back under the British yoke enlightened rule, or did they gain independence as the price for peace?

Persia sounds confusing. Is there any risk of a major defeat/inconvenience for you, or is it more that it'll just take a bit longer to sort everything out?

I see loki's not the only one jealous of your bellicosity, as the Prussians have declared war on the Frenchies some 13 years ahead of schedule!

When you accepted the Mutineers' surrender, did that mean they gave up and gracefully put themselves back under the British yoke enlightened rule, or did they gain independence as the price for peace?

Persia sounds confusing. Is there any risk of a major defeat/inconvenience for you, or is it more that it'll just take a bit longer to sort everything out?

In India I thought I was offering peace to SAR, then they just surrendered and disappeared.

In Persia I failed to garrison my rear and have to deal with some revolting peasants. Also, now that I understand the rules on peace settlements a bit better I can only claim border provinces, so I had better make sure I grab these and hold them properly.

Yes the war in Europe has started early, they are only connected by one province and Prussia has lost it to the French. I imagine this is rather like the trench warfare of 60 years later.

Third quarter 1857

Quarter highlights:
After a long time waiting for something to start I got bored and declared war on Persia and Transvaal. On the same turn the Indian Mutiny started, also I am fighting rebel held provinces in central asia.
So I give you not one war, not two wars, not three wars but four wars, real value for money. Really five as the copycats in Prussia declared war on France, which they are losing.
My plan against the rebels in central asia was to send in overwhelming force and take Kashgar as the gateway. This has gone horribly wrong in two terribly one sided battles I lost most of three divisions. This is the worst military disaster I have ver managed, 10:1 casualty ratio with me losing 38k. I think the next attempt will bypass Kashgar. In fact I have pushed up to Almaty and built a depot there.
My plan against Persia consisted of building up a large force and using it to invade the coastal provinces, this has been put on hold whilst waiting for the forces that have been diverted to fight the Indian Mutiny. As a token I probed with one brigade and occupied a border town of Zahedan. The foreces from the Transvaal have been shipped to Persia and taken two coastal ports. However, a counterattack at Zahedan has driven me out and rebels have occupied a province behind me. Time to unleash the Afghan army I inherited when they became a colony. A disastrous miscalculation lead to the defeat and destruction of an expeditionary force sent to take Hormuz. Now I have settled in on the border for the long haul.
Exploring Africa has gone horribly wrong, after my explorers ran out of supplies last time I attached some supply wagons and sent them in again. The supply wagons used up their supplies and have mostly disappeared due to lack of supplies as they rush back to the coast. In Garissa I am trying a new tack, it was occupied by rebels and I have brought the impis and driven them out and built a depot from where I can explore. In Arabia I am trying to use Turkish towns as bases for exploration.
Still working on converting the central asian states to British. They are at protectorate level now.
China has continued become more and more angry with me and I have aquired a CB against them. This could mean war? In fact the spare troops in Bombay may need something to do?

My Plans:
Short
Persia war.
Central Asia build a depot network to create a path around the himilayas.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Create strategic railway to link bases in India to Chinese, Russian and Persian borders.
Long
Continue to pump out naval demonstrations and geographical expeditions and asking native chiefs to cede to gain PP's.
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
180. 2 x demo, 2 x coffee
181. 3 x explore,
182. 2 x demo, 2 x merch, 2 x cede,
183. 2 x demo, 1 x explore, 8 x bribe, 10 x school,
184. 2 x demo
185. 2 x demo, 1 x explore,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
181. Event:MELBOURNE +6; Battle:mukalla 0/256 won; Movement:american pacific MT, dalbandin, nakuru, bombay, bishkek, bam, kaapstadt, gilgit, zahedan; New unit:2 x anchorage, 2 x coffee, completed 2 x art bombay, ammo munster, gems qatar; Control:depot gilgit; System:; Trade:fish east anglia, dyes chitagong; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:648; Colony:usa state agreed, SAR peace rejected, avon, kandahar, bamyan, bijapur, gorakhpur, benares, chitaggong, darjeeling, city multan, leh, denra, gulbarga, masulipatam, hamilton, customs santo domingo, geog failed nakuru, 2 x demo, cede not valid, mission aar, bisho, graafneit, beaufort, TP kyzilorda, khiva, usa bribe hawaii, turkey merch baghdad, portugal miss cabinda, zululand 5,;
182. Event:austria medal; Battle:iranchar 820/2767 won, karakoram 410/820 won, hadramut 410/325 won, ; Movement:meerut, mafia island, iranchar, surat, karakoram, bombay, bishkek, delhi, kokand, cawnpore, gwalior, american pacific MT, leh,; New unit:2 x anchorage, 2 x RR, completed 2 x art bombay, supply bombay, 11 x brig bombay, coffee sanaa, consulate merv,; Control:depot bam; System:trans supplies, williams congratulated,; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:635; Colony:SAR peace offer, state expired usa, explore failed hail, dithakong, nairobi, cede sarawak, cede ashgabat, merch failed yarkand, kyzilkum, france tele antilles, usa miss shakopee, usa tele cascades, russia outpost tomsk, ;
183. Event:retired blakeney, dundas, napier, campbell, new havelock, milne, fanshawe grey, shipbuilding on progress, austria drains,; Battle:zahedan 256/0 won, dalbandin 410/1845 won,; Movement:singapore, bombay, kokand, leh, nakuru, hormuz, amkran, almaty,; New unit:completed brig bombay, ammo avon, mission beaufort, aar, graafreinet, bisho, TP khiva, kyzilorda,; Control:annex 857 money, depot bishkek, zahedan,; System:caputured artillery zahedan, div moved to leh, va lyons, stweart,; Trade:; %SatMod:0.5; Sold:651; Colony:SAR peace rejected, explore failed marssabit, merch gilberts, marianas, 2 x demo, bribes khota bharu, kuantan, kuala lumpur, ashgabat, kyzilkum, khiva, karim, hotan, schools magwe, myitkyina, mandalay, lashio, taunggyi, kyaukse, prome, toungoo, moulmein, mangalore, colony quetta, france cede kayes, usa colony se minnesota, russia outpost pavlodar, russia colony pavlodar, italy miss gondar, portugal schools timor leste, portugal natural malanje, rebels epiros joined greece, sambalpur 6,;
184. Event:belgium roads, ; Battle:jask 461/384 won, almaty 922/691 won,; Movement:leh, simla, srinagar, mulatn, bombay, bam quetta, herat, iranchar, zahedan,; New unit:3 x RR, completed ammo leinster, anchorage taiz, aden, art bombay; Control:bokhara, samarkand, depot zahedan, nakuru; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:650; Colony:austria local saxony, SAR peace offer, merch marianas, explore marssabit failed, 2 x demo, bribe kyzilorda, mission jaipur, protectorate bokhara, geog failed abha, natural morogoro, austria tele klienpolen, bhopal 8,;
185. Event:austria urban trans, ; Battle:mashad 307/1127 won, ; Movement:hormuz, mashad, birjand, farrah, lydenburg, almaty,; New unit:completed 2 x art bombay, 4 x brig SW, ammo south, anchorage dubai, mangalore, governor quetta, school mangalore, prome, magwe, mandalay, myitkyina, lashio, kyaukse, taunggyi, toungoo, moulmein,; Control:lost pretoria, annex 9 soldiers 2 elements 867 money, depot simla, depot leh, amrshad; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:651; Colony:war over SAR, gained lydenburg and thoboyandu, merch solomons, explore failed nairobi, 2 x demo, bribe yarkand, colony dubai, turkey merch baghdad, dubai 4,;
186. Event:; Battle:kalat 410/512 won, kalat 0/1127 won, quetta 0/100 won,; Movement:farrah, hormuz, herat, bombay, thoboyandu, peshawar, bam, zahedan, almaty birjand, lydenburg, karakoram,; New unit:RR, completed arms west lowlands, noth west, consulate bokhara, mission jaipur,; Control:trans supplies; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:655; Colony:local expired usa, 2 x demo, france supress algeria, france tele cayenne, usa bribe tahlequah, russia colonists irkutsk, ;

Notes:
2. Miner rebellion in Melbourne, sent brigade there. The option has not disapeared?
3. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, I am still hoping to advance into this area. Will avoid Kashgar. And another border province has sprouted a fortress battery so it too is off the agenda. Several rebels have given up and become Tibetan, so I may not get much out of this.
4. Peace with Transvaal gave me two border provinces, cannot get Pretoria until the next time.
5. Persia has been driven out of Zahedan and all other border provinces, just settling down until they give up.
6. Making a grab for the pacific islands as they look easy.

Progress:
Gained 1241 PP in quarter, target grew by 1032; to date 30854 against 30388. So will achieve target in -2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 8 quarters.
France is now second again.

Position Summary:
Have added 140 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 45 railroads, so 4 ahead my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 99%. Militancy 2%, Education 95%.
The value of my stocks is 25,365; previous quarter 25,004.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 73. So now strongest.
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 61 11 10
Casualties 150746 94665
% win 74%
Loss per battle 1838 1154 59%
Start of quarter needed 225 hits replaced, end of quarter 192. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (155).
181. mukalla 0/256 won
182. iranchar 820/2767 won, karakoram 410/820 won, hadramut 410/325 won,
183. zahedan 256/0 won, dalbandin 410/1845 won,
184. jask 461/384 won, almaty 922/691 won,
185. mashad 307/1127 won,
186. kalat 410/512 won, kalat 0/1127 won, quetta 0/100 won,

Trade board:
Increase satisfaction % and number of goods sold to national and colonial markets.
At the start satisfaction gain 51% goods sold 641, by the end 51% and 655.

Colonial office:
colony quetta, usa colony se minnesota, russia colony pavlodar, protectorate bokhara, colony dubai,
natural morogoro,
Peace deal with SAR, they gave me Lydenburg and Thoboyandu

Foreign office:
Relations France(35), Prussia(14), Austria(44), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(20), Italy(27), Turkey(99), China(-65), Belgium(33), Denmark(47), Greece(42), Netherlands(42), Portugal(39), Spain(29), Sweden(30), Brazil(39), Chile(47)
Relations France(38), Prussia(16), Austria(44), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(22), Italy(22), Turkey(100), China(-62), Belgium(36), Denmark(46), Greece(41), Netherlands(43), Portugal(43), Spain(29), Sweden(31), Brazil(42), Chile(45)
14 overall gain over 18 countries. China has disappeared from the F10 screen, I must have really upset them.
prussia war on france, they have lost Saarland, the only province where they have direct contact.

Taiping war:

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
8. Duala
12. Tibet
18. Lagos, forgot this is an objective

Two wars down (SAR, the Mutiny), just the Persians and the cannonified rebels to deal with. I assume it's mostly a matter of time, slowly bringing your forces to bear, especially in Central Asia. Just don't take too long, or the Tibetans will spread unchecked. <Has nightmarish flashbacks to It Came From the Mountains>

Two wars down (SAR, the Mutiny), just the Persians and the cannonified rebels to deal with. I assume it's mostly a matter of time, slowly bringing your forces to bear, especially in Central Asia. Just don't take too long, or the Tibetans will spread unchecked. <Has nightmarish flashbacks to It Came From the Mountains>

Saintly rebels in Tibet must be dealt with? Unfortunately, every time I get into a province they own I am moved out again? This seems to indicate a higher power (Ageod) is protecting them?

Fourth quarter 1857

Quarter highlights:
So I give you not one war, not two wars, not three wars but four wars, real value for money. Really five as the copycats in Prussia declared war on France, which they are losing.
My plan against the rebels in central asia was to send in overwhelming force and take Kashgar as the gateway. This has gone horribly wrong in two terribly one sided battles I lost most of three divisions. This is the worst military disaster I have ver managed, 10:1 casualty ratio with me losing 38k. I think the next attempt will bypass Kashgar. In fact I have pushed up to Almaty and built a depot there.
My plan against Persia consisted of building up a large force and using it to invade the coastal provinces, this has been put on hold whilst waiting for the forces that have been diverted to fight the Indian Mutiny. As a token I probed with one brigade and occupied a border town of Zahedan. The foreces from the Transvaal have been shipped to Persia and taken two coastal ports. However, a counterattack at Zahedan has driven me out and rebels have occupied a province behind me. Time to unleash the Afghan army I inherited when they became a colony. A disastrous miscalculation lead to the defeat and destruction of an expeditionary force sent to take Hormuz. Now I have settled in on the border for the long haul.
Still working on converting the central asian states to British. They are at protectorate level now.
China has continued become more and more angry with me and I have aquired a CB against them. This could mean war? In fact the spare troops in Bombay may need something to do?

My Plans:
Short
Persia war.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Create strategic railway to link bases in India to Chinese, Russian and Persian borders.
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
186. 2 x demo, natural,
187. 2 x demo,
188. 2 x demo, 2 x cede, 1 x dominion,
189. 2 x demo, 8 x bribe,
190. 2 x demo
191. 2 x demo, 10 x school, 1 x merch

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
187. Event:kazakh, papuan, mediterranean, austria drains,; Battle:; Movement:peshawar, kokand, south west, almaty, mashad, birjand, bombay, karakoram,; New unit:RR, mustered zahedan, completed corps london, governor dubai,; Control:rebel zahedan,; System:supply and brig moved to leh from karakoram; Trade:; %SatMod:0.51; Sold:658; Colony:austria state wurtembourg, natural failed walvis, 2 x demo, TP samoa, marshalls, mission bokhara, gilgit, leh, meerut, cede kuala lumpur, roads kulab, karyn, bishkek, austria tele osterreich, ostungam, usa colonists cascades, russia tele urga, portugal tele goa, zululand 6, ;
188. Event:senussi, okinawan; Battle:iranchar 768/318 won, zahedan 615/750 won,; Movement:trucial, dar-es-salaam, dubai, srinagar, aksu, merv,; New unit:RR, completed 4 x supply south west, 4 x brig SW, 3 x art SW,; Control:depot mashad, birjand,; System:trans supplies, wheeler congratulated; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:651; Colony:2 x demo, explored dithakong, hail, cede kyzilorda, kyzilkum, dominion kingston, austria tele slawonien, usa bribes hawaii, usa tele osage, spain miss fernando po, spain colonists el rif, ;
189. Event:; Battle:suhar 0/1896 won,; Movement:bombay, south west, trucial, bishkek, tabuk, suhar, gulf of guinea, aksu,; New unit:RR, completed 2 x art south west, 4 x brig south west, mustered dubai, coal EM, mission bokhara, gilgit, leh, meerut, TP samoa, marshalls,; Control:depot nerv,; System:moved to karyn; Trade:; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:658; Colony:abu dhabi peace, persia peace offer, 2 x demo, bribe hawaii, marshalls, samoa, tahiti, kyzilkum, khiva, tarim, hotan, france cede kayes, netherlands miss curacao, ;
190. Event:zanzibar, troops,; Battle:dubai 0/820 won, suhar 0/922 won,; Movement:biafra, bombay, south west, gilgit,; New unit:RR, mustered birjand,; Control:rebel birjand, depot karyn,; System:trans supplies, moved to dubai; Trade:; %SatMod:0.5; Sold:654; Colony:persia peace rejected, SAR CB expired, explore failed sharawrah, kaf, 2 x demo, mission qarshi, bribe khota bharu, merch failed hotan, usa supress puget, ;
191. Event:france nobility,; Battle:france occupy koln; Movement:south west, srinagar, mafia island, sao tome,; New unit:RR, mustered birjand,; Control:depot srinagar,; System:trans supplies, moved to dubai; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:656; Colony:austria local prussia, merch karakum, explore failed huluf, 2 x demo, bribe yarkand, explored nairobi, school kharasawan, gaya, baghalpur, rajpur, sambalpur, jagdalpur, nagpur, amraoli, nasik, surat, colony qatar, usa tele deseret, neterlands outpost curacao, sambalpur 7, nova scotia 9, manitoba 9, bahamas 7,;
192. Event:eek:ttawa capital, italy drains,; Battle:srinagar 615/410 won,; Movement:gabon, hong kong, kaapstadt, kokand, ; New unit:RR, mustered chitral, completed coffee taiz, aden, mission qarshi,; Control:depot biafra, control ghaydah 0; System:trans supplies, complete oleochemical; Trade:; %SatMod:0.54; Sold:658; Colony:forge CB nicaragua, honduras, local argentina, venezuala, colombia, persia peace, merch vanuatu, explore failed marassabit, sharawrah, 2 x demo, tele gwalior, kabul, colonists amritsar, bamyan, kabul, geog kilwa, merch failed tarim, khiva, austria sewer osterreich, russia natural haishenwai, jainalmer 6,;

Notes:
3. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, have now given up as every time I get into a province I am moved out again.
4. Peace with Transvaal gave me two border provinces, cannot get Pretoria until the next time.
5. Persia has been driven out of Zahedan and all other border provinces, just settling down until they give up.

Progress:
Gained 1038 PP in quarter, target grew by 1188; to date 31892 against 31576. So will achieve target in 2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in -13 quarters.

Position Summary:
Have added 140 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 51 railroads, so 4 ahead my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 99%. Militancy 0%, Education 95%. Sent in troops.
The value of my stocks is 25,579; previous quarter 25,365.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Comparison of combat power with Russia started at 116 and has now moved to 73. So now strongest.
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 67 11 10
Casualties 152744 99781
% win 76%
Loss per battle 1736 1134 53%
Start of quarter needed 192 hits replaced, end of quarter 200. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (147).
188. iranchar 768/318 won, zahedan 615/750 won,
189. suhar 0/1896 won,
190. dubai 0/820 won, suhar 0/922 won,
191. france occupy koln
192. srinagar 615/410 won,

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 51% goods sold 655, by the end 54% and 658.

Colonial office:
explored dithakong, hail, explored nairobi, geog kilwa,
dominion kingston, colony qatar,
abu dhabi peace,

Foreign office:
Relations France(38), Prussia(16), Austria(44), US(100), Russia(10), Japan(22), Italy(22), Turkey(100), China(-62), Belgium(36), Denmark(46), Greece(41), Netherlands(43), Portugal(43), Spain(29), Sweden(31), Brazil(42), Chile(45)
Relations France(39), Prussia(14), Austria(43), US(100), Russia(12), Japan(19), Italy(22), Turkey(100), China(-54), Belgium(38), Denmark(47), Greece(42), Netherlands(44), Portugal(43), Spain(32), Sweden(31), Argentina (2), Brazil(42), Chile(45), Colombia (1), Venezuala (1)
13 overall gain over 18 countries. China has disappeared from the F10 screen, I must have really upset them.
prussia war on france, they have lost Saarland and now Koln, the only province where they have direct contact.
forge CB nicaragua, honduras,

Taiping war:
192. China ; France 289k; Prussia 178k, Russia 52k; Turkey 91k; USA 0k; Italy 0k;

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
8. Duala, forgot about this too.
12. Tibet

The Prussians really miscalculated with their war against France - although the butcher's bill is pretty darn high for the French.

Shame about the magical powers that keep you from rebel-occupied Central Asia (I sense the Transcendent One behind this). So, in order for you to take those provinces, they first have to be pacified by their current owners and then you'll have to declare war on those same owners, do I have that right?

Central Asia does sound frustrating. In general I think the interaction of rebels-natural owners-those seeking to expand is something that needs a bit of a rethink in PoN.

That was indeed a brutal Franco-Prussian war, but does that end the chances of German unification?

The Prussians really miscalculated with their war against France - although the butcher's bill is pretty darn high for the French.

Shame about the magical powers that keep you from rebel-occupied Central Asia (I sense the Transcendent One behind this). So, in order for you to take those provinces, they first have to be pacified by their current owners and then you'll have to declare war on those same owners, do I have that right?

I am not sure what I need to do? I do know that everything I have tried so far has failed so I will avoid the "Tibetan Triangle". There are a few provinces north of this I will try for.

Central Asia does sound frustrating. In general I think the interaction of rebels-natural owners-those seeking to expand is something that needs a bit of a rethink in PoN.

That was indeed a brutal Franco-Prussian war, but does that end the chances of German unification?

Yes, I think rebels should still be part of the country they belonged to and therefore not the easy way in they are at the moment. I suspect if you occupy a rebel province it should rebel wanting to rejoin it's parent fairly frequently. Perhaps occupying a province that should belong to another country should give that country a CB and cause a decline in relations?

Yes the Franco-Prussian war looks brutal, there is only a one province front and I think they are just piling troops in. It will be interesting to see if unification happens either in Italy or in Germany?

First quarter 1858

History:
War, War, what is it good for? Mainly getting rid of boredom......
1. 1852 Burma, conquered in less than 9 months.
2. 1852 Taiping war, never ending.....
3. 1856 SAR, conquered but un-bowed. I gained two provinces of veldt.
4. 1856 Persian war, ongoing I have occupied the border and I am waiting for them to surrender?
5. 1856 Indian mutiny, swathes of northern India in flames, troops rushed from all over the empire. Marching on Delhi and then they surrendered, so it is all back to business as usual.
6. 1856 Central asian rebellion, lost 50k troops in disaster at Kashgar, have only managed to occupy one province.
7. 1857 Tibetan triangle, have occupied several mountainous provinces then been moved back by a mysterious force.
8. 1857 Franco-Prussian, France advanced taking two provinces at terrible cost, then there was peace.

Quarter highlights:
Continued to lay down the strategic railroad to link Indian bases to the Russian, Chinese and Persian borders
Moved forces up to the border with China and Hong Kong.
Continued to occupy the Persian border.

My Plans:
Short
Persia war.
Medium
Exploring Africa
Long
Develop the economy.
Add new colonies.

Actions by turn:
192. 2 x demo, 2 x explore, 3 x roads, 3 x colonists, 2 x tele
193. 2 x demo, 2 x explore, 4 x mission, 1 x protectorate
194. 2 x demo, 2 x cede, 1 x explore
195. 2 x demo, 4 x explore, 2 x geog, 8 x bribe,

Key:
TP for trade-post
merch for Merchant
PP prestige points

Results by turn:
193. Event:eek:ttawa capital, italy drains,; Battle:srinagar 615/410 won,; Movement:west pacific MT, timphu, bombay, south west, samarkand; New unit:RR, completed 3 x supply rangoon, 3 x supply darjeeling, governor qatar, schools nasik, amraoli, nagpur, gaya, jagdalhpur, rajpur, sambalpur, kharsawan, baghalpur; Control:depot biafra, control ghaydah 0; System:trans supplies, complete oleochemical; Trade:; %SatMod:0.53; Sold:665; Colony:prussia peace france, dominican state haiti, state expired usa lasting, NE scotland, south, rajkot, bombay, bangalore, trincomalee, city srinagar, umarkot, kohlapur, jagdalpur, tawang, merch hayya, suakim, explore failed marssabit, 2 x demo, mission khiva, merv, samrkand, almaty, TP failed tarim, TP gilbert, cede kuala lumpur, geog kisumu, customs failed santa domingo, turkey merch baghdad, mannitoba 10, falklands 10, ;
194. Event:fraser canyon gold rus, pikes peak gold rush, siamese, bugis, education, 3 repl merch, 1 repl lt war, ; Battle:; Movement:coast of yemen, ghaydah, chitral, tawang, timphu, nairobi, latin america MT, ; New unit:RR, mustered almaty; Control:depot gabon; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:662; Colony:bhutan peace, sikkim peace, local expired chile, brazil, spain, portugal, netherlands, greece, denmark, belgium, japan, russia, france, explore failed wajir, geog failed nairobi, 2 x demo, customs santo domingo, cede khota bharu, kuantan, france tele antilles, prussia merch songea, prussia sewer brandenburg, austria mass trans kreischgebeit, usa bribe hawaii, russia colonists tannu tuva, ;
195. Event:germany bonds, austria rejected bonds; Battle:; Movement:bombay, maputo, chitral, putao, katmandu, tawang, ; New unit:RR, 3 x supply rangoon, 3 x supply tawang, mission khiva, merv, almaty, samarkand, TP gilbert; Control:; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:671; Colony:state agreed usa, state prussia, local expired turkey, sweden, prussia, 2 x demo, geog failed nairobi, explore failed marssabit, geog failed mwanza, bribe tahit, kuantan, marianas, marshalls, gilbert solomns, samoa, hawaii, TP solomons, france cede kayes, russia merch bokhara, portugal colonists cabo verde, dubai 5, bermudas 8, ;
196. Event:; Battle:; Movement:trucial, taunggyi, lashio,; New unit:mustered faizabad, completed shipbuild west lowlands; Control:depot timphu, tawang, katmandu; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:669; Colony:;
197. Event:assasination attempt on napoleon,; Battle:faizabad 307/461 won; Movement:balkh; New unit:RR, completed TP solomons; Control:depot taunggyi, lashio; System:; Trade:; %SatMod:0.58; Sold:673; Colony:state expired prussia, merch massawa, kanbora, akordat, 2 x demo, geog failed nakuru, explore failed marssabit, merch failed vanuatu, customs failed haiti, netherlands tele palembang, sidhia 8, travancore 10, burma 7,;
198. Event:annamite; Battle:; Movement:lashio, putao, timphu, kokand; New unit:completed mission karakum, TP marianas; Control:depot samarkand; System:trans supplies; Trade:; %SatMod:0.59; Sold:672; Colony:local expired china, austria, customs haiti, merch gabon, geog failed nairobi, 2 x demo, bribe destroyed yarkand, bribe karakum, explored huluf, france tele cayenne, prussia merch songea, usa bribe okmulgee, italy natural tunisia, bhutan -9, ;

Notes:
3. There is a large swathe of central asia held by rebels, have now given up as every time I get into a province I am moved out again.

Progress:
Gained 1237 PP in quarter, target grew by 684; to date 33129 against 32260. So will achieve target in -2 quarters. Victory by prestige points in 2 quarters.

Position Summary:
Have added 140 economic structures, 5 merchant fleets and 55 railroads, so 2 ahead my target of one per turn.
Satisfaction shown on the B screen is now 99%. Militancy 1%, Education 96%. Sent in education.
The value of my stocks is 28,636; previous quarter 25,579.

Navy Board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 1
Casualties 0 76

Army board:
Battles Win Loss Draw
Number 69 11 10
Casualties 153666 100652
% win 77%
Loss per battle 1707 1118 53%
Start of quarter needed 192 hits replaced, end of quarter 200. One class of ship is the main problem merchants (147).
193. srinagar 615/410 won, 615
194. 307
195. 154588
197. faizabad 307/461 won

Trade board:
At the start satisfaction gain 54% goods sold 658, by the end 59% and 672.

Colonial office:

Foreign office:
Relations France(39), Prussia(14), Austria(43), US(100), Russia(12), Japan(19), Italy(22), Turkey(100), China(-54), Belgium(38), Denmark(47), Greece(42), Netherlands(44), Portugal(43), Spain(32), Sweden(31), Argentina (2), Brazil(42), Chile(45), Colombia (1), Venezuala (1)
Relations France(39), Prussia(17), Austria(43), US(100), Russia(11), Japan(18), Italy(20), Turkey(100), China(-54), Belgium(39), Denmark(49), Greece(45), Netherlands(45), Portugal(43), Spain(31), Sweden(30), Argentina (4), Brazil(47), Chile(41), Colombia (5), Venezuala (4)
14 overall gain over 21 countries. China has disappeared from the F10 screen, I have really upset them.
prussia war on france, they have lost Saarland and now Koln, the only province where they have direct contact. Then peace was agreed and they got both back?

Taiping war:
192. China ; France 289k; Prussia 178k, Russia 52k; Turkey 91k; USA 0k; Italy 0k;
198. China ; France 289k; Prussia 178k, Russia 52k; Turkey 96k; USA 0k; Italy 0k;

The list:
1. Rebellious colonists
8. Duala, forgot about this too.
12. Tibet