• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nonchelante

Recruit
Nov 6, 2021
If I want to prolong the campaign as long as possible, (intrigue, diplomacy, and master plans are what i love about GS titles, doesn't matter if i know I've already won, i still want to Eff with people with the hooks and influence i have at that point) but i hear somebody checked the game files and one year in CK3 equals: i forgot. But if somebody could find that info (i am looking now obviously)
Then we can answer the question i have with good ole' science maffs xD

BTW:
So If I choose 867 as a start date (the earliest available) then i assume eventually the AI will try to do their "historical" things as time goes by? (unless i turn events off) And empires will flourish as the game goes on? maybe i should start at the earliest. I hear it's a little easier to learn as well since many lands are basically up for grabs xD

will i miss out on anything cool about CK3 by starting at the earliest time period? Any reason NOT to start early? i do get to play through ALL the periods, right?

Answer my questions and you will be named king of kings!

I realize people play differently, I'll be taking my sweet time corrupting everybody around me, i will pause at basically every notification, and have game speed to standard.

fodazd

Colonel
37 Badges
Feb 21, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Island Bound
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
If you want to play as long as possible and don't care about achievements, I recommend turning off the end date in the game rules. The main drawback of starting in 867 is that the HRE usually does not form unless you do it yourself. However, I also start in 867 usually.

Nonchelante

Recruit
Nov 6, 2021
If I want to prolong the campaign as long as possible, (intrigue, diplomacy, and master plans are what i love about GS titles, doesn't matter if i know I've already won, i still want to Eff with people with the hooks and influence i have at that point) but i hear somebody checked the game files and one year in CK3 equals: i forgot. But if somebody could find that info (i am looking now obviously)
Then we can answer the question i have with good ole' science maffs xD

BTW:
So If I choose 867 as a start date (the earliest available) then i assume eventually the AI will try to do their "historical" things as time goes by? (unless i turn events off) And empires will flourish as the game goes on? maybe i should start at the earliest. I hear it's a little easier to learn as well since many lands are basically up for grabs xD

will i miss out on anything cool about CK3 by starting at the earliest time period? Any reason NOT to start early? i do get to play through ALL the periods, right?

Answer my questions and you will be named king of kings!

I realize people play differently, I'll be taking my sweet time corrupting everybody around me, i will pause at basically every notification, and have game speed to standard.
Sadly not available on consoles

Esoteric Rogue

Guardian of the Flame
51 Badges
Oct 13, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
I'm unsure what you're after, really, but speed 3 is about 2 days per second for me, so one year = 3 minutes, 2.5 seconds. year 867 to 1454 is 587 years might take 30 hours but that just theoretical while certainly there will be many interruptions. If you were to spend 30 minutes looking for a wife, that really adds up.

I think 867 is a bit more tedious, thus potentially aggravating to learn simply because of Norse raiding -- whether you're the norse or simply within their reach. [edit to clarify: it's not only the norse who may raid.] It's a fine mechanic when you're ready to embrace it, but there so many better concepts for a new player to learn other than, respectively, monitoring how much loot is in every coastal province or conversely raising and lowering your levies every time yet another raiding party comes near or departs. Nonetheless, I reckon there are portions of the map relatively distant from raiders.

But you said you want it to take as long as possible, so if that's true, then logically you want to start in 867.

Uh, to be clear, the game makes very very few attempts to follow history after it begins. The concept is that each new game is historical until you unpause the game. There just a few vaguely scripted events like the starting dates of crusades and jihads, the hungarian migration, the mongol invasion (which is very underwhelming, imo).

Probably the hardcoded timeline that annoys me the most are the minimum years for the innovation eras, but that has nothing to do with the AI which is what you mentioned.

But for certain, we do all play it differently. I tend to get bored once you get two empires big the scope gets so much bigger you can't (at least, *i* can't) keep track of the hundreds of potential intrigue targets you might theoretically want to. But maybe that's a point to your favor. :D

• 1Like
Reactions:

void0x00

Second Lieutenant
3 Badges
Sep 10, 2020
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Empire of Sin
This game has very little "historical events" (which I meant events triggered by date, not AI decision nor condition),
only the Mongol Invasion, Almohad Invasion and Jomsvikings forming.
but even the mongol is just setup some character and province, keep forcing them declare war to random people with priority, no written destiny.
Other then that, date only enables great holy war, triggers some culture split, diseases like bubonic and dancing plague, or something even more minor such as naming

So the start date what really matter is just the init map setup and technology era.

I played until end of time once only, and that's for achievement, as for most goal you set, even conquest the whole world, may complete in 300years.

Last edited:

prismaticmarcus

Field Marshal
70 Badges
Sep 28, 2014
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
yes, to be clear, once you unpause, there are 30,000ish AI agents all making their own decisions and living their AI lives.

the point of the game is to see what alt-history you can be a part of. it'd be a fun challenge to always try to aim for historical outcomes. in that case, 1066 would be a better start. but if you want more craziness, go 867. i always do.

Reactions:

Wulf2k

Sergeant
12 Badges
May 2, 2022
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
But for certain, we do all play it differently. I tend to get bored once you get two empires big the scope gets so much bigger you can't (at least, *i* can't) keep track of the hundreds of potential intrigue targets you might theoretically want to. But maybe that's a point to your favor. :D
A significant amount of the time, I'm surprised by my own murder schemes popping up and have to figure out from scratch why I wanted this person dead in the first place....

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:

La Clef

Captain
24 Badges
Feb 19, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II
A significant amount of the time, I'm surprised by my own murder schemes popping up and have to figure out from scratch why I wanted this person dead in the first place....

I must admit I planned once to kill a member of my dynasty for the sole reason that she was ugly. I'm afraid this game makes me become eugenist. :oops:

• 1Haha
Reactions:

m0xxY

First Lieutenant
Jul 10, 2021
If you want to play as long as possible and don't care about achievements, I recommend turning off the end date in the game rules. The main drawback of starting in 867 is that the HRE usually does not form unless you do it yourself. However, I also start in 867 usually.
I find it incredible that anyone would want to play after 1453. I've never even made it that far.

Reactions: