• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Splat1986

Private
9 Badges
May 25, 2022
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
Hello everyone.
First i want to say that i love this game, i used to be a big fan of Civ 6, that changed very quickly when i started to play CK3, to me it's the best strategy game but at the moment i find myself struggling with some things that i wish to understand but currently i don't.

I don't know what to do, it seems like at each playthrough i try to do it seems that i get stuck at something. I started playing with the island of Madeira and trying to form the kingdom of Canary islands. It seems that the Caray islands can be really good to invest in development by choosing the learning lifestyle...for the life of me i can't figure out how to build Megalithic Constructions that can provide a big development boost. I think one of the things i have to do is to become feudal...i start as a tribal ruler and i have no idea how to become feudal. If anyone could share some light with this i will be very appreciated.

Sorry of this seems stupid but I'm really not good at this...
The thing is CK3, at times can be a very complex game, or it's just me i focus just on one side of things like conquering lands but then i forget, ignore and don't fully understand stuff like "Ok I'm a tribal ruler but it would be awesome to become feudal...Oh i have no idea how to do that" kind of thing and i start to get frustrated.But all this is on me, the game is awesome, i love it really but it seems that there are many things that i don't grasp.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It just takes playing the game more. Don’t worry about knowing everything - focus on learning what you need to know for what you’re doing, and don’t worry too much about what you don’t understand yet. Just take it one mechanic at a time.

The game is very, very complex. But it’s not actually very hard once you understand the rules - the hardest part is just learning.

Make sure to read tooltips and explore the decisions menu.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Try not to learn the game with exotic, isolated characters.

I recommend playing a vassal of Germany/Holy Roman Empire who borders pagans. It's nice, it's social, it's safe, and you can expand as you feel like it.

There is a decision that makes you feudal. There are several requirements among them being have 10 dev in your capital, having 70% of tribal technologies, and being a reformed faith. However, there are numerous workarounds to becoming feudal.

Like others said, canaries is probably not a great beginner start because you have a unique faith and are surrounded by Christians and Muslims who won't marry you, and if you wanted to reform it you have to take land off of the iberians. I think the easiest start is vikings tbh. There's another thread active right now where people are discussing good beginner characters.

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The wiki is your best friend. I would recommend playing on Ireland in 1066, because that's the tutorial area.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Try not to learn the game with exotic, isolated characters.

I recommend playing a vassal of Germany/Holy Roman Empire who borders pagans. It's nice, it's social, it's safe, and you can expand as you feel like it.
Could you give me any examples of that? as to where i could start under one of those empires and close to pagans?

• 1Like
Reactions:
He's super big in terms of power, i'm looking for a much smaller start.
That doesn't last long. When he dies, his domain will be partitioned equally among his sons.

But if you want smaller, play any of his neighbours who are also vassals of East Francia. Right below him should be the Duke of Thuringia. He is small.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I always recommend Duke Vratislav of Bohemia past the tutorial. It's a safe, comfortable start within the Holy Roman Empire in 1066 with several expansion paths if you want to take the time to learn more on expanding. You can also get to grips with the economy and development in a safe manner, as you start with a Gold Mine. You don't have to worry too much about succession due to House Seniority, but of course it also means that you will be a bit handicapped on almost always playing older characters.

For a more diplomacy oriented game I recommend Mathilda of Tuscany in 1066. She is friends with the Pope and has strong diplomacy attributes and can do most anything. She is the strongest actor in the region, is very wealthy and can quickly wrest control of Italy. It is also a good place to be if you want to break free from the Holy Roman Empire in the longer run. She is also good for learning more about succession and playing as a non-dominant gender, in that she has no heirs at the start and is unmarried.

The advantage of both of these is that you start as pretty strong Duke tier vassals, and you can easily reach Kingdom tier at your own pace. Nothing wrong with staying at Duke tier for longer periods either.

• 8Like
Reactions:
They pay for their MAA with prestige, which the game is very much not balanced around. In my experience playing tribal I was just immediately stronger than everyone else and there was nothing to do but win wars until I got bored.
Which makes them a nice and easy start for a beginner... so, I don't really get your issue.

Reactions:
Which makes them a nice and easy start for a beginner... so, I don't really get your issue.
They aren't fun and the value of gold and prestige is weird and unintuitive. And if the new player reaches the point where they can become feudal they'll be confused when they become way weaker and poorer than they were before.

Reactions:
I always recommend Duke Vratislav of Bohemia past the tutorial. It's a safe, comfortable start within the Holy Roman Empire in 1066 with several expansion paths if you want to take the time to learn more on expanding. You can also get to grips with the economy and development in a safe manner, as you start with a Gold Mine. You don't have to worry too much about succession due to House Seniority, but of course it also means that you will be a bit handicapped on almost always playing older characters.

For a more diplomacy oriented game I recommend Mathilda of Tuscany in 1066. She is friends with the Pope and has strong diplomacy attributes and can do most anything. She is the strongest actor in the region, is very wealthy and can quickly wrest control of Italy. It is also a good place to be if you want to break free from the Holy Roman Empire in the longer run. She is also good for learning more about succession and playing as a non-dominant gender, in that she has no heirs at the start and is unmarried.

The advantage of both of these is that you start as pretty strong Duke tier vassals, and you can easily reach Kingdom tier at your own pace. Nothing wrong with staying at Duke tier for longer periods either.
I wanted to start much smaller to be honest and i would prefer to start in 867.
I thank you for the suggestions :)

• 1Like
Reactions: