• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Valentine

Lord Protector of Britain
88 Badges
Jul 5, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Byzantium2.png

Honors associated with the "I Doukas:​

WritAAR of the Week Jul. 26th 2009 awarded by crusaderking
Character WritAAR of the Week July 6th 2009 for Andronikos Doukas awarded by Mr. Capiatlist​

I was canonized 3rd September 2009
Big thanks to canonized, author of Timelines!

Book One: Restoration and Revolution​

Chapter One: The Plan​

Lesbos, 12th of February 1066

Romanos Diogenes felt weary, the long and hard ride across Anatolia had taken it's tool upon him and the rough sea voyage to Lesbos hadn't made him feel any better either. More than once he had asked himself whether all of this would pay off in the end. Each time he thought about what had happened over the last two weeks it seemed to make less and less sense. He had received an anomynos letter asking asking him to meet it's author, who described himself as "a friend of the army and the empire" and had a interesting proposal for the armies senior commander to make, at the "St. Georgios Inn" on the Isle of Lesbos. At first Romanos had been distrustful and ready to see in it nothing more than the foolish joke of junior officer but then he had discovered something in the parcel which came with the letter. A ring.

2704.jpg

It was a perfectly manufactured piece of jewelry made of gold with a big ruby as the central ornament. It's value was beyond what Romanos could estimate. Such rings where the insignia of men of considerable standing and therefore of a person Romanos could not simply ignore. But doubt's still plagued his mind. Was this perhaps a trap laid out by some members of the imperial court, perhaps even by the emperor himself? The court clique had always been distrustful of the army during the last half century. Was this a way of getting him accused of treason? "Anyway it's to late to worry about that now.", he thought to himself as he neared the center of Lesbos. He threw a quick look at the reflection of his face in one of the windows he passed by. He saw the face of a man in his middle forties with both his hair and mustache combed into perfect order. His eyes had the determined expression of an eagle, ready to snatch it's prey. His forehead on the other hand was already begin to show a considerable number of wrinkles. "God, the stress is beginning to get at you.", he thought to himself half sarcastically. He continued about his way and two minutes later he at last saw the sign for the "St. Georgios Inn".

The Inn was a somewhat gloomy place, dark and fairly dirty and far to warm to Romanos liking. He had wisely traveled in simple cloths without anything that could identify him as a member of the aristocracy. He took a seat at a table, ordered some wine and waited. After all his mysterious informer had told him that HE would make contact with him once arrived. After 30 minutes of waiting another man entered the inn and he seemed a lot more out of place than Romanos. He wore a rich and decorated garment further enhanced by a golden chain at the end of which hung a family symbol or something of the kind and several rings. Although obviously very young he had long brown hair and a full grown, yet very well kept beard that gave him a natural authority well beyond his years. Romanos was at a wonder what a person like this could possibly be looking for in a provincial thiefs den like this. But then he saw the mans determined and somewhat arrogant eyes pierce him and recognized him at once. Alexios Komnenos! He had met him a few months before. He was the scion of one the (some claimed the most) powerful families in the empire and one of the most promising officers in the imperial army. Romanos had discussed some of most famous battles of the empire on that occasion and had found his some of his thoughts and conclusions just as brilliant as his arrogance and vanity repulsive. But there was no more time for thought as Alexios walked up to him.
"Strategos Diogenes!", he said with a smile and friendliness that almost seemed practiced, " Of all men you would have been among the last I would have expected to meet in a dirt whole like this."
"The same thing I could say of you, young master. But do you think it is wise to go boasting about my name and title in this type of area", the general replied in a more subdued voice. "Pah don't worry about these beggars.", Alexios exclaimed with a disdainful gesture, "A few coins will shut their mouths up. And anyway why did you invite me to this place in such a secretive and mysterious manner if you don't even consider it save?"
"I did not." "Well who did then?", the young man replied visibly perplexed.

"I, Doukas, did." A voice from out of the dark answered. Suddenly a man stepped forward from out of a distant corner where he had been perfectly camouflaged so far. He looked neither very young nor yet old so that Romanos estimated him to be perhaps in his early thirties. He was not particularly handsome and the two things that made him stand out amongst the other two men were that he was completely shaved and had a slight hook-nose.
"I am sorry gentlemen for the inconvenience I have surly caused you", the man said with an apologetic gesture while walking up to Romanos and Alexios, "but you will realize that this secrecy was more than justified in due course. My name is Andronikos Doukas, strategos of Paristrium." "And nephew of the emperor.", Alexios hissed unable to hid his distrust.
"Very true noble Komnenos.", Andronikos replied without any sign of being insulted by Alexios remark. "Feel at home in these humble lodgings. I have rented them some years ago and all servants are loyal to my family. So please take a seat. We have business to discuss."

They sat down at a grand table, Andronikos taking the seat a the head of the table with Alexios to his left and Romanos to his right. "As you all know the empire is plagued by inefficiency and corruption which can largely be attributed to the weak government of my uncle Konstantinos X." "About whom we need not worry much since he will be dead soon.", Alexios made a remark once again to the visible displeasure of Romanos but evoking nothing but a smile from Andronikos.
"Very true Master Komnenos. But sadly his eldest son Michael who is to follow him in the purple is not even a shred more competent. He will be just as much of a pawn in the hands of the bureaucrats as his father. Which will hurt the army and thereby both your standing even more and eventually lead the empire to ruin."
"And what is your solution to this problem?", Romanos asked straight forward.
"You ask a blunt question and therefore you shall receive a blunt reply.", Andronikos answered with a visible grin on his face. "Make me emperor."
Romanos was stunned by this unexpected revelation of his hosts ambitions while at the same time he could hear Alexios laughing bitterly. "You honestly expect me to depose one Doukas in favor of another.", he cried still quite unable to regain the seriousness appropriate to the situation. "Now that truly seems to be th perfect way to solve all the empires problems.", he added sarcastically. "Why should I lift you onto the throne with my soldiers? Why should I not make myself emperor instead?"
Once again Andronikos smiled to the disturbance of both Alexios and Romanos. "Oh, Alexios", he said in the tone of a well meaning grandfather, "have you not learned anything out of the career of your uncle Isaakios*, who also happened to be my brother in law. He was a good soldier and statesman just like you and he surly deserved being elevated to the purple by his soldiers. But he had neither the understanding for nor the love of the people of Konstantinopolis and the bureaucrats. And how did he end? As a deposed emperor and wretched, broken, old man in a monastery."
"Why should you do any better!", Alexios yelled clearly enraged by the little credit Andronikos gave his uncle. "I am a Doukas. A member of the royal family. I can command the loyalty of the city. The vast patronage and riches of my family can allow me to bribe the bureaucracy into compliance. But all of that is worthless if I don't have the support of the army. If I don't have your support.", he explained. "The bureaucracy and the army are like the scepter and the sword in the emperors hand. If he has only one the two he is not truly the ruler."

"What is in it for us.", Alexios who by now had regained his calm asked what also had been on Romanos mind. "You mean except for the common good that would come from this?", Andronikos inquired rhetorically. "Well since usurping the throne probably won't endear me to considerable elements of the bureaucratic establishment I would be an emperor who would know to appreciate a effective army as the foundation of his rule. A well funded army, with promotions for it's most competent commanders."
"You Romanos", he said turning towards the old stratgos, "would make a perfect Megas Domestikos** in my eyes. And for young, dashing Komnenos", he said turning towards Alexios," I had the post of Domestikos tou thematos oriens*** in mind.

Romanos and Alexios exchanged a few glances and after a few seconds Alexios nodded his approval to the offer. Yet Romanos still felt nervous. "But how do you wish to bring about this coup? I can't just let the army march on Konstantinopolis and even if I could convince the troops of such an endeavor..."
"Do not worry strategos Diogenes", Andronikos interupted him calmly. "I have connections within the court. I myself will bring about my rise to emperorship. All I ask of you as the senior representatives of the army is to support me once I am there. As you have seen you might profit handsomely from it."

"Well then what have we got to lose", both Alexios and Romanos thought almost simultaneously. Thus began the great conspiracy...

The three conspirators:

7-conspiratorIAndronikosDoukas.jpg

Andronikos Doukas, coveter of the purple

9-ConspiratorIIIAlexiosKomnenos.jpg

Alexios Komnenos, the brilliant but power hungry youth.

8-ConspiratorIIRomanosDiogenes.jpg

Romanos Diogenes, the "grand old man" of the imperial forces.​

* a brief account of the life of Isaac I Komnenos
** The Megas Domestikos was the overall commander of the byzantine army
*** The Domestikos tou thematos oriens was the supervisor of the eastern themes (military districts) of the empire

Last edited:
And thus hello and welcome to yet another Byzantine AAR. You will have to regard this AAR as something of a big experiment. I had always wanted to try out a narrative stile of writing but whenever I wrote a few pieces modeled on some of my CK-games I found them so appalling that I never "published" them. Now with Deus Vult and several mods adding a lot of new interaction between the characters in CK and opening a lot of new possibilities for storyline and intrigue I wanted to give it another try.

"I Doukas" is the product of my endavour to learn some narrative skill with the "learning by doing"-method. Therefore if you are looking for a really good and mature narrative go read Roma AARise by General_BT. But if you are willing to make allowances (and live with the fact that I will probably only update when I'm in a creative mood) feel free to give it a try.

I have always been fascinated by the Byzantine Empire, probably my favorite state in European history and wanted to give it's history a certain twist. Since there have been a lot of AARs out their (most notably General BT's and VILenin's great works) that have let the Komnenids take the empire to new shores I decided make a game as their early and often vilified opponents the Doukas family. My aim was to absolutely roleplay this game of CK and build a story solely build around the events of the game. I hope the product of this endeavor is a half-way enjoyable read. :)

I am using Veldmaarschalk's The Alternative Scenario Setup Mod version 3.06
and the "Before the Conquest" Scenario which starts January 1st 1066 (the normal scenario somehow doesn't work for me anymore. Furthermore I have edited a few CK-files to increase the mortality of children (who can die prematurely till their ten now) and increase the chance of a character falling\getting wounded in battle.

~Lord Valentine~

Last edited:
Nice beginning, will follow. Although, with the risk of appearing like a nitpicker, isn't the eagle-thing in the header the Palaeologus family weapon?

Another AAR using my mod, I will have to try and follow this one to.

Narratives AAR's aren't the easiest ones to do, but your start is very good.

Good luck with this one

Snugglie: Your dead right! It's the imperial insignia out of Palaiologian times. With so many byzantinophiles I might have guessed this little "artistic license" on my part would be discovered in no time. :rofl:

Veldmaarschalk: Thanks for the praise! And if I may return it: your mod is really great. Especially the different starting dates are realy fun to experiment with. :)

~Lord Valentine~

Lord Valentine said:
Snugglie: Your dead right! It's the imperial insignia out of Palaiologian times. With so many byzantinophiles I might have guessed this little "artistic license" on my part would be discovered in no time. :rofl:
Oh, believe me, I'm not one of those. :D Just some random knowledge.

An interesting start... I've always wanted to see a Dukas AAR... especially other people's characterizations of Michael Dukas. I'm interested to see your take on him. :)

Snugglie: Pretty good "random knowledge" if you ask me. Anyway glad to have you onboard. :)

General_BT: I too was fascinated with the idea of seeing an AAR focused on the Doukas family. So at some point I figured I would have to make one myself. :p And where Michael is concerned. Don't worry he'll make his appearance soon enough...

Enewald: It's the same in my games but now that they got my hyper-über gaming-skills at their disposal they'll probably rule the whole world within 50 years. :p No seriously I'm glad to have you with me on this adventure.

Chapter Two: When dealing with the imperial court...​

land-3d2.jpg

"Oh Constantinople, never was there a city so heavenly, yet inhabited by some many devils.
Attributed to St. Eirene (ca. 1130)

Konstantinopolis, 20th of February 1066

Andronikos took a deep breath in as he stepped across the planks that lead from his galley down to the bustling pier of the imperial capital. It was always a moment of joy to return to "the city" as Konstantinopolis was simply known as far away as Scandinavia. The empire had a number of major and renowned cities such as Thessalonika, Athens or Antioch but compared to the "queen of cities" they all appeared like provincial backwaters. It had been far too long since he had been here the last time. Some would have called serving as governor of Bulgaria an honor, but Andronikos knew what it truly was. An exile.
As Andronikos gazed to the right he could see the unparalleled skyline of the city dominated by the huge Boukoleon Palace of the emperor and of course the Hagia Sophia. "Soon I will feel more than at home there.", he reassured himself.
"I hope your journey was as comfortable as it was productive my lord", the call of a man at once interrupted Andronikos meditations.
"Comfortable no, productive yes", he replied to the man whom he identified as his faithful servant Konstantinos Assen. Twenty years his senior Konstantinos, a hellenized Bulgarian, had been of one of his tutors as a youth and remained his most trusted adviser. For the last few months he also had been his eyes and ears in the capitol while Andronikos was still brooding over his coup plans in the distant Bulgarian themes.

12-Councilar1.jpg

Andronikos "man on the spot" for Constantinople​

"So have Komnenos and Diogenes agreed to support you my lord?", Assen inquired.
"I think so old friend. If I am successful they will come along, even if only out of sheer self interest.", Andronikos informed him.
"Are you sure that their tacit approval to make a move on the throne is enough to keep you out of trouble? There are other major dynatoi...", Assen continued until his master bade him to stop with a swift gesture.
"Other dynatoi?", Andronikos sneered. "And which of them would be of any importance? Alexios is his fathers favorite son which means that by enlisting him we also have enlisted his whole family. And what other men are there that deserve to be considered great except for their wealth? Nikephoros Argyros? I have never met a more foolish young man in my live. The Palailogioi? Georgios Palaiologos is a mere boy of 16 and his father Nikephoros to much of a maverick to be any political challenge. No they won't cause any trouble once I'm emperor. The problem won't be staying at the top but getting to the top."

Andronikos signaled Assen to come with him as he began his leisurely stroll towards his residence not far from the imperial palace.
"But now to more pressing matters.", he came straight to the point., "How is the situation here?"
"Well my lord", Assen began his detailed report. "The emperor, who has been ailing for quite some time, seems to have reached the final stage of his sickness. Few think that he will live much longer let alone reign. In this dark hour he has discovered religion and the Patriarch Ioannes Xiphilinos, who himself is in constant ill-health, is to be found by his bedside at all times."
"Strange how such useless, debauched individuals always desperately look to religion when their miserable existence draws to an end.", Andronikos thought to himself.
"There are few others who are admitted into his presence."; Assen continued. "His wife Eudokia, his old friend Michael Psellos who has risen to the position of Megas logothetes* and his personal chaplain Georgios Katrares."
"And what of Michael?", Andronikos inquired unable to hide his burning desire for this piece of information.
"On the advice of Psellos he has been sent to Macedonia for some practical training in the art of governance, although few people believe it will make much of a difference.", Assen replied rolling his eyes, thereby clearly indicating that this was also his view.
"Well done Konstantinos! Remind me to reward you liberally once I dine in the Boukoleon Palace.", his master cheerfully exclaimed as they parted with Andronikos heading for the said palace. There was business to attend to.

Some hours later...

Andronikos felt a great sense of satisfaction as he walked along the long halls and corridors of the imperial palace. These were one of the rare moments in which one could truly feel the privilege of being born above all other men. No one else except a few high ranking dignitaries and close family members could walk this extravagantly rich building with such absolute freedom.

This beautiful illusion was destroyed as Andronikos neared the private chambers of the emperor. He was intercepted by a group of soldiers headed by an officer unlike any other he had yet seen in imperial pay. He was tall and muscular, yet his whole way of moving seemed rather plump and unsophisticated. His face was long and plain with a hideously long nose. His hair was cut back well above the height of his ears which made his general appearance even more crude. Only his full grown beard and mustache looked well kept and evidently where the whole pride of it's bearer. "You stop here! Go no further!", the officer shouted in broken Greek with the most terrible accent Andronikos had ever heard.

Andronikos was clearly in no mood to fuss around with barbaric mercenaries. "Move aside soldier and show some reverence to the strategos of Bulgaria!", he shouted and continued his way towards the group of soldiers. But the officer and his solders would not make room. "I Roussel de Bailleul, great warrior and knight of emperor. I not move aside for anyone.", the obviously Norman officer replied and grabbed Andronikos by the shoulder as he tried to force his way.
"You insolent Norman brute dare to touch me?! Take your dirty hands of me or I shall happily chop them off!", Andronikos yelled now in a real rage and grabbing for his ceremonial dagger. The scene was ripe for a bloodbath when another voice boomed across the building. " Back to your bloody post or I'll have your eyes gouged out before you can say "Norman swine"!"
Roussel and his comrades where almost at once set into flight by these harsh words and within a few seconds had escaped into a side corridor without even looking at the senior officer who had justdisgraced them. As Andronikos turned around to identify his unexpected supporter he saw the face of an old man he immediately recognized.
"Nikephoros, old friend! I might have guessed! If there's someone who can put the rabble back in it's place it's you."

61-Rousseltheforeigner.jpg

Roussel "the insolent Norman"
3-StrategosNikephoros.jpg

Nikephoros Botaniates, the hard bitten old soldier​

"Your bloody right there. We're having a hard time with all of those damn foreigners. I wouldn't have bet me arse that I would have been able to keep my bloody job.", the aged general replied in his usual uncourteous speech. Andronikos couldn't help but smile as at these remarks. Nikephoros was the only nobleman in the habit of swearing like a cobbler all the time he knew.
"I suppose you've come to see the big old bugger.", he continued.
"If your talking of the emperor your right." Andronikos replied without feeling in the slightest way insulted by Nikephoros disrespectful address of his uncle.
"Well I fear that's tough luck for you mate", the general explained. "The clever little shit Psellos, who fancies himself even more since he's officially become the emperors chief minister, let's no one see the emperor except for those who are in his pay. It was at his insistence that we hired a few Norman ruffians as palace guards. You were lucky that I showed up. These empty-headed buffoons would have cut you to pieces. Bloody dickheads!"
"Well I've survived thanks to you.", Andronikos said patting Nikephoros on the shoulder. "But I fear I'll have to ask for your help once more. You must get me to see the emperor."
Nikephoros almost demonstratively made a step away from Andronikos. "You know that's im-fuckin'-possible. I've just told you that nobody is admitted into the emperors presence. That's Psellos blasted order. The bastard is already working to get me sacked. I don't want to end my bloody life homeless on the streets."
"Oh come on Nike!", Andronikos said in the most friendly intimate way he could, "I must see the emperor. You know as well as I do that if some change isn't brought about in government it'll be Psellos ruling soon in all but name. And then we'll both be in shits street, old friend." "So that's why you've come to ripe apart the spiders net.", Nikephoros answered and Andronikos could clearly see that he had not quite decided whether letting the young prince pass would be worth the risk. "Now come on old bulldog," Andronikos continued his persuasion," your still Domestikos tōn Scholōn**. You only take orders from the emperor himself. And has he ever told you to lock out his dear nephew Andronikos?"
"Nah, he hasn't. Well the come along Andy. But if they really give me the sack I'll depend on you from keepin' me from bloody starving. I'll show you a short cut across one of the secret passages. We don't want to be bloody late you know. It'll be the emperors evening prayer in just an hour..."

Andronikos wasn't really listening to Nikephoros long and winded explanations. He was to busy congratulating himself. It had really paid of handsomely that Andronikos had bothered to win over this aged military man some ten years ago. It had been easy enough since Nikephoros tastes where unabashedly common. Eating, drinking, whoring. Those where the things he delighted in and Andronikos had been too happy to supply him with all of it, knowing that he might someday become useful. This day had come.
"By the way Andy.", Nikephoros ended Andronikos musings on his own success. "How is that acquaintance of yours? The wonderful female creature you introduced me to when I visited you last year."
"She is in good health and as beautiful as ever.", Andronikos said ready to give the old man the reply he wished to hear, "She has inquired when you will visit again. I have the feeling she cant get you of her mind."
"No wonder after the bloody treatment I gave her!", the old general shouted with the thunderous laughter of an ordinary soldier.

The two wandered through a side corridor taking several quick turns in different direction so that Andronikos soon lost track of where they were going. After some 5 minutes they finally reached a side way of one of the many small gardens within the palace. "Continue this way through to the end and then follow the stairs.", the Domestikos explained, "good luck."
Nikephoros turned away before looking at Andronikos a last time and adding: "And once your their give Pellos a good kick up the arse from me."

They both parted with a smile.

bucoleon4.jpg

Are these the steps to glory for Andronikos Doukas?​

As Andronikos finally entered the emperors private quarters he could not help but be surprised. The huge sleeping chamber had always been a light place, with the sunshine falling onto the priceless marble floor and the colorful mosaics on the walls depicting the exploits of the emperors Constantin, Iustinian and Heraklios, while servants buzzed through the vast hall attending to it's masters every wishes. But now it was a dark, sombre place. Huge curtains hung before the massive palace windows blotting out the sun with only a few chandeliers and candles providing some feint light.

There was almost complete silence except for the constant prayers of some monks in the background for the health of the emperor. In distance Andronikos could only see a few figures standing beside the bed of the emperor. As he approached one of them, an old man with a walking stick greeted him.

"Your holiness Patriarch Ioannes.", Andronikos addressed the aged and sickly looking man while bowing his head in reference. "It does good to my old eyes to see you again. Young Doukas.", the patriarch replied with a voice that sounded as frail as his body looked. "I have come to do my Christian duty and stand by my most revered uncle and lord in this time of need. Although there are some pitiless creatures who would have liked to keep me from his side.", Andronikos explained while throwing a grim look at the Megas logothetes Psellos who, standing a few meters away, returned it with equal hatred.
"Well then let me lead you to the sick man.", the patriarch replied without noting the obvious enmity between the young Doukid and the logothetes. At the emperors bedside Andronikos identified two more figures. One was a beautiful woman perhaps in her mid-thirties, her light-brown hair falling down to her shoulders. Although here clothing was rich and of great style it's dark colors as well as her face that showed clear signs of many tears having been shed gave her apperance a melancholic touch. This had to be the empress Eudokia. Standing next to her was a man ordained in the rich hangings of the imperial chaplain. Rather unconventionally for a cleric he had long curly hear that stood high up and a grim and determined look on his face that made him look older than he probably was. And there on the bed finally was the emperor himself. Konstantinos X Doukas, Emperor of the Romans, asleep, a powerless, pitiful figure. He looked pale and his once voluminous body dangerously thin.
"How is his condition of late.", Andronikos whispered to the Patriarch. "He only awakens every 10 hours or so. Seldom does he find the strength to do any more than eat and drink a little and mumble a few prayers before he fades away again."
"Oh great. My uncle has become dozy and otherworldly. How on earth am I going to convince him to grant me effective power in these circumstances?", Andronikos thought to himself.
Then regaining himself he turned to the empress. "Do not deform your face with such ghastly tears my Lady. Both your husbands body and soul are cared for in the best possible way. And you have friends and allies to support you in this plight. This is not the end."
"The death of such a monarch means the end of everything.", Eudokia remarked bitterly before turning away and giving free reign to another set of tears. "There is more truth in these words than you think, my beauty.", Doukas thought.

"Speak not so harsh words my Lady.", he continued smoothly. "You have a son, young prince Michael, a likeness of his father to comfort you once he is gone."
"He is young and inexperienced and the empire is full of vultures that love neither him nor me.", the empress continued lamenting.
"And beware of false friends that would rather see your husband dead today than tomorrow", the serious and even in some way regal voice of Psellos remarked out of the background. "Impious lout!", Andronikos exclaimed, immediately understanding at whom this remark was directed. "Have I traveled all this way to be thus insulted by a lowly scribe?"
"It is a pity your noble father, whom God preserve, failed to instill either talent or respect for knowledge in you young master Andronikos", the scholarly Psellos countered the princes insult, hitting a weak spot.

"I shall not quarrel with this serpent over the sickbed of my uncle. My lady, your holiness, I take my leave.", Andronikos bowed before the empress and patriarch before turning on the spot without honoring Psellos without a single further glance. This was a organized retreat at best.

"I've screwed it up", he thought to himself while marching out of the emperors quarters, "In this condition it is impossible to extract any political power from my uncle, the patriarch himself is far gone in senility, the empress frosty and Psellos will surly see to it that I won't get a second chance of seeing the emperor alive." In thoughts he cursed his powerlessness. All his ambitions seemed defeated before they had come to off age. But then he heard something. Someone was following him...

* the Megas logothetes was the head of the imperial administration. His functions where similar to those of a chancellor in Latin Europe. Therefore I chose this as the byzantine equivalent of CK-chancellor.

** The Domestikos tōn Scholōn was the commander of the Scholai, the elite guard regiments of the empire. I am using this title as the byzantine equivalent of "marshal".

Last edited:
I am happy to be reading this from the beginning. Easier that way. :p

Another excellent chapter!

It shall surely be hard for Andy to gain enough power in that court.

The ruler of the eternal Empire is surely an old senile man. :eek:

I HOPE THIS NEW AAR WONT HINDER YOUR "HIGH KINGS OF ALBA"
I WAS ENJOYING THE ADVENTURES OF "RANAULD I" :cool:

Enewald: I'm glad you liked it. :) And it's truly bad, those Doukai that are either feeble or incompetent (Konstantinos X and Michael), have all the power while those with ambition like Andronikos are barred from it. What will come of it you shall see...

phargle: Well without treachery it wouldn't truly be a byzantine AAR, would it. :p Btw phargle: This is the second narrative AAR is see you reading and commenting on in a short time. Not changing your ways and habits are you. :D

czam2007: Check my newest post in the "High Kings". ;) Now that I have hopefully shown your fears to be unfounded perhaps you'd like to tell me what you think of this AAR. ;) :p

I'll start work on the next update once the next installment of the "High Kings" is up, so hopefully the next chapter will be up before the end of the week.

~Lord Valentine~

I just begun reading 'Byzantium - The decline and fall' by John Julius Norwich, and it is funny that most of the characters can be found in this aar.

Evil normans. :p

But Diogones shall not be crowned Kaisar in this aar. :rolleyes:

No land for the normans in middle of Anatolia?

Lord Valentine said:
phargle: Well without treachery it wouldn't truly be a byzantine AAR, would it. :p Btw phargle: This is the second narrative AAR is see you reading and commenting on in a short time. Not changing your ways and habits are you. :D

Aye, but does doubt have a place in a byzantine AAR? I'm curious to see how it turns out.

As for changing my ways. . .

It occurred to me that I was a lousy member of the Crusader Kings sub-forum, so I've been making an effort over the past several weeks to keep up with and comment in the AARs that get posted here. I want to support my fellow writers. Narratives aren't necessarily my thing - I've got a teeny creative writing background, just enough to be terrible and critical at the same time - but I'll make a big, bear-hug exception for you guys in this part of the forums!

<3 <3 <3

Wheeeee~ Here comes the bloodbath! Is it really a Byzantine AAR without betrayal and a bloodbath?

Lord Valentine said:
land-3d2.jpg

"Oh Constantinople, never was there a city so heavenly, yet inhabited by some many devils.
Attributed to St. Eirene (ca. 1130)
Could you please tell me where does this image come from ?

(I'm gonna organize a roleplaying game with some friends and I need some byzantine material for the atmosphere)

Wow I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to enter into a second round of feedback so soon. How flattering! :)

Enewald: Glad to see your interested in Byzantine history. There is a really good book on it's entire history I would recommend to you if it weren't in German.
Anyway you will find that quite a view characters will have similar or very different fates from those of their historic counterparts. So will you see Normans in Anatolia and a emperor Romanos Diogenes? Wait and see.

phargle: Well where the doubt is concerened you might have guessed from Andronikos stats (I'm trying to roleplay you see...) Andronikos isn't exactly the expert plotter. So he's probably only realistic in doubting his ability to pull off the great coup.

And as for your "change of attitudes" I'm glad to hear that you are increasing your present in the CK-section of the board. Every author is very happy to have commentators on board especially when they are as witty and challenging as you.
Also I consider it a great honor that you have overcome your dislike of narrative AARs for my and other peoples sake.
Keep it up comrade!

General_BT: A byzantine AAR without a bloodbath would be like a war without an epic battle, anticlimactic. Don't worry there'll be enough bloodshed in the course of this AAR. :D

czam2007: And both you shall see updated in due course. I'm glad you enjoy both. :)

Imrryran: I got it from a wonderful site called Byzantium 1200. It's a project with the aim of digitally recreating the way Constantinople could have looked like in 1200 if it's architectural wonders had been perfectly preserved. You'll see a lot more footage of this site on this AAR in updates to come.

Lord Valentine~