I can't wait for Cities: Skylines 2!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HayManMarc

Sergeant
19 Badges
May 3, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
I love this game so much.

I hope the sequel does this game justice. I long for a very stable city building experience with everything I love about the game and more.

It would be great to see larger maps, same or better mod and asset support (the CS community of players and modders are awesome), and stronger AI.

Perhaps a little more world detail would be nice too. Like weather seasons with its affect on cims, car accidents in trouble areas, deteriorating roads and infrastructure, just to name a few ideas.

At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting the new and improved Cities: Skylines 2, whenever it may come to being a reality.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I keep thinking I should write a wishlist and post it here because I do believe they are working on CS2

But something I really want is better road and intersection abilities. Like better being able to make a lane that splits off; thats quite hard to do in CS. Being able to select a road and add a sinle lane on one side of the road, or convert a lane to a bike path, etc. Basically the road making tool but actually within the game, in the moment.
And definitely the control of the traffic manager and the intersection marking tool mods built in.

I also want footpath attachment points on buildings, especially transport buildings. Like, being able to take a path from an attachment point from the top floor of on an elevated metro station and across the street and then down, you know?

The third thing is much better parking integration and AI. Parking is such a huge issue in cities, and pocket cars really shouldnt be a thing.

The forth thing is policies that ACTUALLY affect your city. CS1 policies are like, gain a 5% boost to production for a slight increase cost, etc. Which is kinda lame.
I think policies should be more like that law in america that mandates a certain amount of parking per commercial building, causing commericial plots to have a much bigger parking footprint.

Car accidents and road closures.

Protests blocking roads if the city has problems. Just in general the polulations should be harder to keep happy.

Seasons and festivals. (With increased traffic and road closures at those times)

Better AI and cims having rush-hours going to and from work. Policies could affect what times schools start and finish.
School bus lines just for kids at the appropriate times.

There should be better building spots for non-rectangular buildings like on corners, etc.

I could go on but i'm running out of steam, lol.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I would love to see them getting fully rid of the grid system - to allow for better city blocks, bigger and dynamically sized factories and farms all seamlessly following the road (or seamlessly not following the road as in real life) + the grid landscaping is terrible.
I can imagine some development in the industrial and commercial areas where small manufacturers would grow into larger factories, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm in the same bandwagon. I keep searching everywhere in hopes to catch just a glimpse of the awaited news. There has been great ideas shared here and now they have a full community behind them, which can do wonders to the game. I think and I'm quite certain we will hopefully hear the announcement by next year. They have been quiet for so long, and most likely the reason is they are working on the sequel, and announcement will come when they have hit a certain stage and marketing is ready to announce it. There has been hints and signs pointing that they working on it, and I'm sure they will surprise us in big ways.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yes! Free form zoning would be awesome! Also, the ability to plot farm areas instead of tiny premade assets plots would be a welcome new feature, in my opinion. But as long as CS2 is a faithful sequel to the original in most regards, especially the ability to customize assets and add custom details, I will most likely be very happy when it arrives.

(Speaking of customizing assets... an asset builder upgrade would also be a nice feature.)

• 8Like
Reactions:
The forth thing is policies that ACTUALLY affect your city. CS1 policies are like, gain a 5% boost to production for a slight increase cost, etc. Which is kinda lame.
I think policies should be more like that law in america that mandates a certain amount of parking per commercial building, causing commericial plots to have a much bigger parking footprint.

Protests blocking roads if the city has problems. Just in general the polulations should be harder to keep happy.

Seasons and festivals. (With increased traffic and road closures at those times)

Better AI and cims having rush-hours going to and from work. Policies could affect what times schools start and finish.

There should be better building spots for non-rectangular buildings like on corners, etc.

All of these things would be great and exactly the kind of depth that CS2 would need to become the ultimate successor IMO.

To add to your list, I would like to see;
Agriculture as a different part of the economy (not industry). You need to start off working small fields to feed your population and then late game mega-corps. This would include soil quality depending on the intensity of farming.
Player-generated global warming (cutting too many trees or causing heavy pollution = negative effects. Planting trees = positive effects. Overfishing. Wildlife destruction/regeneration).
Some form of Global economy. As a multiplayer/multicity feature you could have say your own dedicated server between friends or internally different running cities where you can set up trade deals, sanctions, tariffs, economic goals or just have city-to-city interactions.

The one thing to fix though would be "death waves", the biggest thing that stopped me progressing into long-term campaigns.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I would love it if, for industries and workforce management, they took a few pages from Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic's book. While the latter is a country (or rather, national economy) simulator., it has a few interesting concepts For example having a grander scope for industry and cross-border (or in this case, boundary) trade and transport, introducing pipelines and conveyor belts as forms of transport in industrial areas, making daycare coverage compulsory to increase workforce participation, etc.

Another issue that would be lovely would be the introduction of some basic local politics. As a mayor, you would have to perform in order to avoid Council-mandated restrictions and limitations, face elections and need to maintain a minimum level of popularity. Issues/events could pop up, and Sim City-style advisors could help.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I keep thinking I should write a wishlist and post it here because I do believe they are working on CS2

But something I really want is better road and intersection abilities. Like better being able to make a lane that splits off; thats quite hard to do in CS. Being able to select a road and add a sinle lane on one side of the road, or convert a lane to a bike path, etc. Basically the road making tool but actually within the game, in the moment.
And definitely the control of the traffic manager and the intersection marking tool mods built in.

I also want footpath attachment points on buildings, especially transport buildings. Like, being able to take a path from an attachment point from the top floor of on an elevated metro station and across the street and then down, you know?

The third thing is much better parking integration and AI. Parking is such a huge issue in cities, and pocket cars really shouldnt be a thing.

This! I am sad I could press the "Agree Button" only one time.
For me the most annoying point in Cities were the bad intersections. This really needs to be improved in CS2. Then the lack of parking lots was immersion breaking, especially for your super big buildings like stadiums, universities and airports. And yes, so often I would have liked to connect my elevated path walks to buildings. Of course these anchor points should also work between parking lots and elevated roads.

Then I would like to add that elevated roads and path walks should be far more flexible. The pillars should move to the next best position, or besides the road if necessary.
I want to build metro lines or whatever above my roads, without having to use special road types or collision removal mods.

Another thing is modular buildings. That was the best thing that was introduced in SC5 and I still wonder why it was not taken over to CS. It gives so many possibilities to make your districts/buildings look unique! Also for Train/metro stations it would be a great thing to have the possibility to build them in modules, like adding additional train tracks underground, or elevated. From HMI point it's would be also better to reduce the amount of different public transportation hubs a player can select and instead allow him to build it himself.

From zoning POV I would like to see medium density residential zones, low density office zones and mixed medium density residential/commercial zones.
The commercial zones should be reworked. Currently low density seems to always upgrade to some ten floor office building with some not very matching name. Instead commercial zones should include small shops (low density) and shopping malls/centers with multiple flloors (high density).
In general I would like to see much bigger zones. It would be nice to see some gardens in residential zones. SC4 did that a bit better than CS.

These are the most important improvements for me I think, but of course I also take anything else that was proposed by other people here.

And plx, CO work on the economic system, CS Industries was a good step in the right direction, but it requires a lot of additional fine tuning and one additional level of complexity (especially an interaction between player owned industry and the "private" industry that appears through zoning) would not hurt.

But yeah, better intersections, that would be already a nice starting point.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Another thing is modular buildings. That was the best thing that was introduced in SC5 and I still wonder why it was not taken over to CS. It gives so many possibilities to make your districts/buildings look unique! Also for Train/metro stations it would be a great thing to have the possibility to build them in modules, like adding additional train tracks underground, or elevated. From HMI point it's would be also better to reduce the amount of different public transportation hubs a player can select and instead allow him to build it himself.

This is one big thing I forgot to mention. Modular buildings! I feel it's a must for making unique buildings IN GAME (not in asset editor) instead of making copies of everything everywhere.

I think almost all public buildings should be modable in game - stadiums, transport hubs, schools, hospitals, graveyards, etc. You should be able to add a lot of detail fairly easily, and it should improve the functionality too.

Omg im so excited for C:S2 if they add these things.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I've often thought that modular buildings would be kind of neat, but would that make things more difficult for modders?

• 2Like
Reactions:
As a Simulated Management Player, I really hope CS2 can remove their limits of constucting. I want to create a huge city and my computer can handle it, but the game told me that no you do not want to do so. It's really frustrating.

Reactions:
As a Simulated Management Player, I really hope CS2 can remove their limits of constucting. I want to create a huge city and my computer can handle it, but the game told me that no you do not want to do so. It's really frustrating.

To a good degree in CS, you can of course achieve this with mods. I think this would be a given in CS2 (bigger tree limits would be my petty example). What we need to see is more reason to get there!

Really... Trees limit is just a starter
Having a low limit on buildings number or networks, that was really annoying.
Not to mention vehicles and citizens count.

Hopefully they can increase them considerably.

Fingers crossed.

If that is soon then yes that is certainly possible but if its not soon then I doubt it.

The game used to get DLCs very regularly. We haven't had anything new since Sunset Harbor which was released in March (almost 10 months ago) and Campus was back in May 2019 (another 10 months ago). This game is due something big very soon.

Reactions: