• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ArtyMarti

Recruit
1 Badges
Aug 24, 2021
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
In my 1k hours on EU4, not being able to join a friend's lobby has never occurred.

It all started last week when I tabbed out and my friend started the game without warning and I tried to tab back into the game. EU4 being EU4, it froze completely and I was forced to restart my PC because the game wouldn't close. (I tried alt+ f4 but it closed the applications in the background).

The problem began after I restarted my PC. Every time I try to log into a lobby it is not able to find the game.

I've search this problem online and I have tried everything I could. I tried join through the game, through steam, though given id, removed all mods, uninstalled the game and made sure the EU4 folder from steamapps was gone and reinstalled it without any success.

I did find something with the id though. The id that is shown when I tried joining though the list of servers was completely different from the id that my friend gave me. (but as I said even changing the ids did nothing for me)

The last option that remains would be the firewall blocking EU4. Sometimes windows antivirus would block the EU4 .exe file but I would simply run the .exe as administrator and it would solve the problem. However, this is not an option anymore because when I do run it as administrator the game runs quicker than expected and the UI, for the multiplayer, would be messed up, with the "Scan Internet", "Join Game" and "Host Game" missing.

I guess I would have to start messing around with ports but I am not too knowledgeable on that subject so I do not want to mess around too much with that.

I would really appreciate help as I always have liked this game, but it's brittleness in terms of game structure is really hurting. Thank you.

I doubt your firewall was affected by your game crash or PC restart.

You may feel you've done all this, but please again do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Good luck!

• 1Love
Reactions:
I doubt your firewall was affected by your game crash or PC restart.

You may feel you've done all this, but please again do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-EU4
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/EU4 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add EU4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam EU4 or Documents EU4 locations, before installing again.

Good luck!
Thank you a lot ! I had the same problem and this helped me, now i can play with my friends again.