I can`t believe paradox have gone Steam. (there is a non-steam version on GG)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Socratatus

Captain
5 Badges
Apr 25, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
I made a special effort to purchase games from paradox (even ones I wasn`t really into) to support paradox as they stood for independence.

Gaming is really going down the pan.

I guess I just have to hold onto the `non-steam-Only` games I have and scratch paradox off my `good` list. :(

I`m sure the Steam fanatics will do what they do everywhere now. Belittle people like me and censor\ban us.

Well you can delete us, but we`ll be there always fighting this Borg-Like manifestation called Steam and its ilk.

Edit: I have changed the title as people are still jumping to the end and posting about the game being steam only. The boxed version will require activation on steam, but will not use steam drm otherwise. There is a non-steam version availible on GG. -DR

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a special effort to purchase games from paradox (even ones I wasn`t really into) to support paradox as they stood for independence.

Gaming is really going down the pan.

I guess I just have to hold onto the `non-steam-Only` games I have and scratch paradox off my `good` list. :(

I`m sure the Steam fanatics will do what they do everywhere now. Belittle people like me and censor\ban us.

Well you can delete us, but we`ll be there always fighting this Borg-Like manifestation called Steam and its ilk.

There are plenty of other ways to get Paradox games. Nobody's putting a gun to your head to use steam.

I cant believe its not butter!,
Also you seem to have missed shams post about having a separate paradox DL service seperate from steam, and johens posts about gamersgate versions for there internal games, and then skimped over the fact that internal paradox games have the steamworks DRM turned off

I really don't want to use Steam. If I get CKII in a box, do I still have to register at Steam?

I am failing to understand op's disappointment, now a game's value is decided by where it is published and not by the quality of game itself? I must have missed the memo.

I'm rather anti-Steam myself - I will avoid it if I can, and I don't have it installed on my Mac - but CK2 is too good to pass. I've mentioned over in the CK2 forums there should be a poll over it like so:

1. I like Steam and I will buy through Steam.
2. I would buy through a different portal if I could, but I will go through Steam if I have to.
3. Making this title Steam-only will stop me buying it.

(or something like that)

Then we can see whether Johan's figure of 80 - 90% he likes to trot out is correct.

A poll is not representative statistics. Asking people questions along the lines of "what would you do if..." never yields correct results.

Forum polls are not a very good gauge of anything other than what the forum wants, it's not an independent sample and there will be numerous factors skewing the results- a lot of the older (and presumably more 'committed' long term members more likely to contribute) will have used Gamersgate due to it being the only way to get some Paradox games/ expansions for a while and their previous association with Pdox: case in point. Sample size would be pretty good, self selection pretty poor and I'd be amazed if the actual purchase pattern came close to that even with Steam releasing DW far later than anyone else.

Also you seem to have missed shams post about having a separate paradox DL service seperate from steam, and johens posts about gamersgate versions for there internal games...

Neither of those were anywhere near as definitive as you're implying. Certainly not as definitive as the statements about having to use Steam! because patching is hard! and everyone uses it anyway! etc and certainly not as definitive as other promises which haven't been met.

As long as it stays DRM free, ie only the initial installation and any patching requires you to be logged into Steam, it seems fine to me. If it means a standard system of distributing patches etc, I am all for it. Just looking at all the "Steam version not working" threads makes me think it will be a good idea. All of my games registered here were bought from Steam, but I still don't want Paradox games to deviate from the no DRM path.

While I find it a bit disappointing, when Paradox sells 90% of their games through Steam (I think that's the number I saw a dev post), you can see why they might move towards that system. Especially if it makes distributing patches easier.

How dare they want to make money out of their games.

Iam not going to buy another game of PI ever again! :rolleyes:
#occupyjohan

Forum polls are not a very good gauge of anything other than what the forum wants, it's not an independent sample and there will be numerous factors skewing the results- a lot of the older (and presumably more 'committed' long term members more likely to contribute) will have used Gamersgate due to it being the only way to get some Paradox games/ expansions for a while and their previous association with Pdox: case in point. Sample size would be pretty good, self selection pretty poor and I'd be amazed if the actual purchase pattern came close to that even with Steam releasing DW far later than anyone else.

And that poll tells us so clearly why we should not listen entirely to what people say here on the forums.

Divine Wind was sold NOT sold at Steam for the first month of it release... and still 83,2% of all revenue for Divine Wind has been sold through Steam.

I stand corrected on the statistics. Though am I right that DW was not sold in box form?

Not sure, but DW (box or not) it did not require Steam to run. CKII (box form) will require Steam to run but the fact remains that more revenue for PI is generated via Steam. And since I love PI, I therefore must love Steam. Though I hope CKII goes MAC cuz I recently converted from one form of drone to another. I do love to be assimilated. :mellow:

Not sure, but DW (box or not) it did not require Steam to run. CKII (box form) will require Steam to run but the fact remains that more revenue for PI is generated via Steam. And since I love PI, I therefore must love Steam. Though I hope CKII goes MAC cuz I recently converted from one form of drone to another. I do love to be assimilated. :mellow:

Correct me if i`m wrong but Paradox stated several times that CKII will require Steam to install, not to run.