I can build multiple starbases per system and would like not to.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aethuse

Second Lieutenant
52 Badges
Oct 30, 2019
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, as this is a problem that arises from mod interactions.

However I have spent days on this, and cannot find the conflict that may have caused the problem. I have way too many mods, and trying to remove them sequentially generally leads to crashes long before I learn anything new. I have nonetheless deleted my personal mod along with my Irony patch just in case, to no effect. So I would like some information about how the game works so I can find how to fix this; so far Google has been no help whatsoever.

Basically, the game offers me the capability to build starbases over every single celestial object of a system. In fact, it doesn't even ask for influence to do so ! Just alloys. Now, that sounds nice, you may think, but honestly I find it beyond overpowered, and kinda annoying as well: whenever I want to build the regular starbase by hovering over it in the galaxy view, it offers to build every single outpost possible, which generally takes a few hundred to more than a thousand alloy... So everytime I have to enter into the system and target the main star specifically. It's not much, but it's grating.

I very much doubt this is intended by one of the mods I have...

In any case, I would like to know how Stellaris determines where to place starbases in a system, as I can't find that information anywhere (maybe I didn't look properly, in any case I'm at a loss).

If I happen to find out exactly how it happens, I'm sure some of you would like to know how to replicate it (I can't find if there is already a mod out there that already does this), so I'll post it here if I do.

In any case, I would like to know how Stellaris determines where to place starbases in a system, as I can't find that information anywhere (maybe I didn't look properly, in any case I'm at a loss).
I am no dev, but:

Starbases [or Outposts as they originally start out as] are placed by the main/center star/blackhole of the system

beyond that you would have stations for mining, research, and observation

the first 2 can be placed above any resource deposit in a system [some tech may need to be research to do this]
the last can only be placed above a primitive civilization colony

I am no dev, but:

Starbases [or Outposts as they originally start out as] are placed by the main/center star/blackhole of the system

beyond that you would have stations for mining, research, and observation

the first 2 can be placed above any resource deposit in a system [some tech may need to be research to do this]
the last can only be placed above a primitive civilization colony

I mean, yes, that's how it should be in theory, but what flags the main/center star/blackhole of the system so that the constructor knows it can build a starbase there, and only there ? My hypothesis is that this hypothetical "flag" is the reason why I somehow can build starbases everywhere, but I can't find any information on it.

Also, I happen to be able to build a starbase on top of any mining/research stations anything has, in fact I can even do so on an inhabited planet, which is something that is very much impossible to do with stations...

It behaves very much like some kind of megastructure in that sense, I feel; at least like some of the Gigastructural ones... I'm going to be looking that way.

Where a starbase can be placed is scripted in the starbase itself, in Stellaris\common\ship_sizes\00_starbases.txt

Code:
    potential_construction = {
        is_scope_type = planet
        is_primary_star = yes
        NOT = {
            exists = orbital_defence
        }
    }

So the most likely culprit would be a mod that edits starbases, crisis starbases or ion cannons since they're all in the same file.

Where a starbase can be placed is scripted in the starbase itself, in Stellaris\common\ship_sizes\00_starbases.txt

Code:
        is_scope_type = planet
        is_primary_star = yes
        NOT = {
            exists = orbital_defence
        }
    }

So the most likely culprit would be a mod that edits starbases, crisis starbases or ion cannons since they're all in the same file.
Well, you know what ? I was really expecting this to work. Somehow, the only two mods conflicting over Stellaris\common\ship_sizes\00_starbases.txt (Starbase Extended and Alphamod, on top of vanilla) were both missing that seemingly vital piece of code, independently from each others somehow...
So I just put it back in the both of them, just to see what happens !

And... disappointment, I can still build starbases everywhere. But somehow their cost went from 100 alloy a piece to 200, and some modifiers don't apply anymore it would seem. I'm going to look further down that way, see if ther is something to that.

Also, I'm very interested in the "is_primary_star = yes" part of that code. On top of the starbase thing, I've some of my primary stars lacking some of their obligatory deposits, on and off, for a while now. I would assume this is related to that "is_primary_star" flag... and to my strange starbase mystery.

I'm also going to be looking that way, but in any case, if anybody has any idea or knowledge to share, I'll gladly take it :)

Code:
        is_scope_type = planet
        is_primary_star = yes
        NOT = {
            exists = orbital_defence
        }
    }

Ah, nevermind, I reverted to purely vanilla stellaris for Stellaris\common\ship_sizes\00_starbases.txt and it seems to have worked, somehow. So the problem does lie somewhere in these two mods... although I still don't know clearly where.