• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
It's 1187 AD, and the Roman Empire is in bad shape.

6cbb68d7.jpg

Once the ruler of the known world, now ruler of Greece and the coast of Asia Minor. Ever since the disasterous battle of Manzikert, the Romans have been forced back again and again by the Turks. The heartland of the Empire is gone, and some have begun to pronounce her dead.

But, the Empire still has life in her. The mighty walls of Constantinople have never been breached. The City still proclaims itself as the most glorious city on God's Earth. Ancient Greece and Rome still thrive here, though the presence of this 'feudalism' weakens the Empire from within.

The Empire is surrounded by enemies. Not only the Muslim Turks or the Pagan Cumans, but even her Christian brethren in Bulgaria, Italy, and Jerusalem. Even the far western kingdoms, themselves born from the ruins of the western half of the Empire, stare upon Constantinople with envious eyes.

The Roman Empire does not just need an Emperor now.

She needs a Caesar.

She needs.... me.

2469178b.jpg

------
Aye, another AAR. But this one's dfferent.

I'll be taking a more gameplay-style with this AAR as I fight to restore the Emperor's and the Empire's rightful places in the world. (Feudal Contract? BAH!)

Not to say it won't have humor, but it's not nessessarily a humor AAR. And yes, it was kinda inspired by "Breaking the Power of the Dukes".

Last edited:
Whats with the angry face next to your title?

I look forward to following your progress.

Well the AAR title leaves no doubt as to the pretensions - let's see if they become reality!

*subscribes*

And the reign of Stephanos Caesar begins. Right away, I notice a huge problem.

I, the freaking EMPEROR, own only one province for myself. True, it is Constantinople, but still...

First, choosing the way to go. The Empire can expand west/north into Serbia and Bulgaria, back east into Asia Minor. Or, I could focus on crushing the Princes and securing my rule inside the Empire. And, there's always the option of doing something crazy, like invading Egypt or Italy, or NORWAY! Damn Vikings would never see it coming.

But, after two weeks to enjoy my awesome new Imperial clothes and the sights of Constantinople, I decide to head east first. It won't do any good to be Emperor if I don't have an Empire, and Serbia and Bulgaria have an alliance.

So, January 14, 1187, an alliance is signed with Hungary. It helps that I'm married to the Hungarian Princess.

cbb946eb.jpg

(Ignore the 'Byzantium'. Took this picture before I changed the name to 'Roman Empire')

April 2, I create the only title I can - Prince of Samos.

Feb 1188 sees me both set up a training grounds and sire a bastard. Hey, I'm the only Caesar in Europe, I need some offspring! Which, actually, is another reason I put off the war. Don't wanna get a sword through the gut before I get a heir.

But, March 2, I can't take peace anymore and I attack the Beydom of Dorylaion/Sultanate of Rum and lead my 8000 troops into Asia Minor. Mar 26, the wife is pregnant. Don't question my aim.

Finally, in August, manly man-to-man combat with the Sultan in Tyana province. I crush him, of course. Meanwhile, the whining Muslim peasants in Dorylaion get crushed and decide that maybe Orthodoxy isn't all that bad.

December 1188. The wife becomes a Scholarly Theologian, gives birth to a stillborn child, and the brewery has to be sold. Bad news all around.

But, I do have good news. I just saved the Roman Empire by kicking the Sultan's ass.

ffd533d4.jpg

----------------
Sorry this was so short. This is kind of a trial post for this style of AAR, since I'm not used to writing this style. I'm open to advice in strategy or writing or stuff.

A good first conquest, and a reasonable bride.

Another Rocketman AAR? I am soooooo subscribed.

It's been a while since I checked on ay CK aar regularly....but this one seems nice... Good luck!

PS Are you going to export this one into EU2?

wow stephanos ceasar really does have a ring to it

great looking aar - straight and to the point.

maybe you shud "help" the kingdom of jerusalem, by keeping their titles safe...

Grundius: No, I don't intend to take this to EUII. I've already got two Mega-Campaigns, I don't need another! :wacko:

cuchulain: Indeed! Jerusalem needs the protection of Rome! :D
-------------

1189 is pretty slow. The main problem is my low income, which forces the sale of some improvements in Asia Minor to help cover my debt. I choose to personally raise my bastard son, and in September, I get my wife pregnant again.

January 1190, I get around the peace treaty by DoWing a vassal of the Sultan. The Empire marches eastward again!

Then, on June 25, my wife gives birth to a son! I HAVE A (legitimate) SON! *hands out cigars*

Due to this, I restrain myself from having relations with a camp-follower. A bad decision, as I become Stressed. Note to self: in the future, hit it.

Sept 17 sees peace return between the Empire and the Sultan, with several more provinces going to us.

Religious problems are common. It's like playing Whack-a-Mole, but with turbans and burning flags. As the benevolent Emperor I am, I choose to issue an Imperial Edict.

Imperial Edict said:
You can worship anyone you want, as long as it's Christ.

Or, in other terms, EMPIRE CRUSH!

Then, in March 1191, I realize Hungary is fighting the Sejuks. That's bad, since if they win, I can't expand westward anymore. So I declare war on the Sultan's vassals again!

In June, Muslim invaders destroy the Church in Kaiseria! You bastards!

A month later, my army arrives and I engage the Sultan in hand-to-hand combat once again. A month after tearing his army in half, I get the Empress in Constantinople pregnant from the middle of Asia Minor. You can cut the testosterone in the air with a knife.

January 1192, I tell the Prince of Lykia to shove off when he complains about my ruling law (Royal Prerogatory). Hopefully, the civil war won't start until the Siltan is dead...

I also choose to raise my legit son myself. And I get my wife pregnant again in August. And I just realized I don't know what happened to the other kid. Huh.

November brings good news! My bastard son likes to start fight and take other kid's toys. I'm so proud! Oh yeah, I also destroyed the Sultanate of Rum and annexed them. The Empire's back, baby!

One week after the Sultan falls, the Principality of Butrinto revolts. It's on the western side of Greece. Two weeks after that, the Prince of Lykia complains again about the ruling law. Uh oh....

April 1194, Butrinto is crushed. I take his prince title and his county title and punt him into the Adriatic.Also, I have to declare I need no new bishop, since I can't take the -200 gold from that event. Too much debt from my other wars!

May, I send my bastard son to get a martial education in addition to my upbringing. He'll be a great man someday. I might even make him my heir.... Also, a daughter was born. Eh.

In June, I grant a lot of the county titles I got in Asia minor to courtiers. I have a feeling the civil war is near, and I intend to hold into the Ducal territory that rebels.

1194, January, I get another bastard. It's all good. In May, the wife gets 'Illness' for exactly one week. That was kinda odd.

August, Lykia complains again. I tell him to shove his complaint up his arse. He takes offense to this for some reason. There's also some mass conversions in Asia Minor.

Then, in January 1195, it starts. The County of Kaiseria attempts to spark civil war. If you haven't been keeping track, this is one of the Turk titles I granted to a courtier in 1193. The rage of the Emperor was justly awakened, and in March, the county was crushed and reabsorbed.

The Prince of Hellas revolted in September, followed by the County of Taron. Taron left in peace, since they're not actually connected to the rest of the Empire.

April 1196, the Prince of Adrianopolis rebels, taking half of Thrace with him.

May sees the Prince of Hellas fall. I take the titles Prince of Hellas, Count of Athens from him and turn the Army against Adrianopolis. The Prince of Sinope decides to complain about the ruling law and get the same response Lykia got.

I confiscate noble fiefs in July, and then have a hearty laugh as the Prince of Adrianopolis seiges Constantinople with a wopping 500 men.

The Prince of Sinope rebels in September, and Adrianopolis falls (take all titles) in November.

ScreenSave18.jpg

The Empire, Jan 1, 1197.

Sinope is the two brown provinces. Notice that Georgia and Armenia (?) have moved south, blocking my advance.

------------
So, what do you guys, my loyal advisers, think? After the princes are crushed, should I move against Serbia/Bulgaria? Or against Georgia/Armenia, or the Crusader states? Or maybe try to conquer Egypt?

Egypt.