• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
I am Alexios Komnenos, grandson of Emperor Andronikos, heir to the greatest rulers of the Roman Empire in the last thousand years.

Of course, this is moot now. The Roman Empire is dead, shattered by the Frankish barbarians.

On the south shore of the Black Sea, I and my brother David have carved a small kingdom from the wreckage of Rome. It is from here we shall reclaim our birthrights.

ScreenSave17.jpg

The wreckage of the Roman Empire.

brothers.jpg

I and my brother, last of the Komnenoi.

latinemperor.jpg

The barbarian scum who sits in Constantinople.

rivals.jpg

Our rivals and neighbors.

This AAR uses the 1204 Scenario, on Normal/Weakling settings, in a vague hope that the AI won't go conquest crazy.

The goal right now is to eliminate the rival factions and restore the Byzantine Empire, as well as ensure the surviving and thriving of the Komnenos family.

Beyond that, depends on how the game goes.

In the hope that this AAR not to go conquest crazy? But - don't you know - that's exactly why dummies play Trebizond in the first place! ;)

Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
*Subscribes*

stnylan said:
that's exactly why dummies play Trebizond in the first place! ;)

Awww...

You went and made me all misty eyed! :)

@Rocket: best of luck! and I love that there's a scenario for the 4th crusade wreckage now. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

j.

EDIT: What kind of a mother names her son ?nal?

Er, I mean, what kind of a mother names her son
Code:
?nal
?

Maybe it's not as bad as Oedipus, but still..

Last edited:
Rocketman said:
This AAR uses the 1204 Scenario

:confused:

I went to the threads for that mod and it says it's not 1.05 compatible. Did you bring it up to specs yourself? or just downgrade your game?

I'm liking the defiant tone as well. Let's see how long it lasts, eh? ;)

A new rocketman AAR :D

subscribes ;)

Maybe the Komneni can not only restore the Empire but their family name. IIRC Adronikos was called "the Terrible" and was deposed. :rolleyes: But I'm sure you're much more in the Alexius I, John and Manuel vein.

First 1204 scenario AAR I've ever seen and by Rocketman to boot. Huzzah!

VILenin: That depends... ;)

Llywelyn: I dunno what's up with the name, probably a typo. As for how I got it to run, my CK is fully patched up, and the 1204 scenario is as I downloaded it, I just jammed it in and watched if it worked. :p

stnylan: I said so the AI wouldn't go conquest crazy. ;)

All: Thanks! :D

The update for the first decade will be posted in a couple minutes.

Little of importance happens during the remaining months of 1204. Courtiers are appointed as they tickle in from the Latin Empire, and an alliance is formed with the single province Prince of Chaldea. I also switch the ruling law to Salic Promniture to ensure my title will always go to a Komnenid. Since I only have one vassal, the Prince of Cherson, it's the best time to change.

Sadly, Trebizond is dirt poor. Hideously dirt poor. Making 7 gold a month dirt poor. This must be corrected. My two main enemies, Romania and Nicaea require prestige, though, so Trebizond attacks the Bey of Paphelagonia on January 8, 1205, and by them, the Sultan of Rum. Our little buddy in Chaldea decides to attack Koloneia (also part of Rum) a few days later, so we join that too.

David meets the Sultan in battle on Jan 21, but is outnumbered and forced to retreat. Then, on Feb 9, I am accused of cowardice on the battlefield! How dare they! I was merely preparing a flanking maneuver. ... *cough* Fortunately, the accusation doesn't stick.

Unfortunately, I seem to have underestimated the Sultan's military strength and mobilize all my remaining troops and start gathering them together.

Papparappagonia is taken on May 22, but this is overshadowed by the crushing defeat of my army on June 1. We ask for a white peace, and the Sultan refuses. Dammit.

I have to deny getting a bishop because of my stunning lack of gold. I think I've discovered reverse alchemy. This isn't helped much when the Emir of Kappodekia gives us 18g for peace, mostly because Mr. Sultan is charging into Amisos with 3400 men and there's only 1900 there under my brother to stop him. The 1600-strong Trabzon regiment rushes to assist while I attempt to make some seiges in Rum.

The Traps don't get there fast enough, and the Sultan wins. He captures Amisos on Aug 7, cutting the Kingdom in two. It's about here that I remember to get Cherson to mobilize. Durr.

August 17, I decide to take advantage of the campfollowers. Not exactly fiddling while Rome burns... Anyways, I got a bastard out of it, which is good, sicne neither me or my brother have wives yet.

Nov 17, Sinope falls to the Sultan, David is seiging Amisos, and I'm seiging in Rum., a month later, Chaldea province complains about my religion, so I crush them and make them Orthodox. Trabzon does the same the next January.

Amisos is recovered on Christmas 1205 and I now have 3700 men under my command (merging my and David's armies), we charge into battle against the Sultan's army in Paphgoliane and finally pull off a massive victory. At the same time, the Latins and Nicea go to war. Excellent...

Mar 11, the Pope calls a Crusade to Jerusalem. Most people don't seem to care.

After helping the peasants in Trapzon after they go back to their fields, we recapture Sinope and gain a white peace with Rum. One and a half years of war, most of my soldiers dead, one province and 18g gained in total.

It may be time to rethink my strategy.

In the meantime, Regal Supremacy is instituted so I can give less money to the church. We're about 450 gold in debt.

August 2, we find that Nicaea is seiging Constantinople! NO! GO LATINS! KILL THEM! Good lord, I'm cheering for Latins. This puts me in a bad mood, which I take out on the Paphloggni peasants when they complain about me not being Muslim.

Our provinces begin to recover in September, but the fort in Sinope crumbles in October. I'm getting mixed signals here.

January 1207 is a good months. The Spymaster is rewarded for being faithful, the bastard son is sent to a local noble for raising (damned if I'll pay that much on a bastard) and I finally get married to a hot Athenian chick.

ScreenSave39-1.jpg

The Frankish Catholic part is kind of offputting, the duty is awesome, and the Lustful Zealous arouses my... interest.

My brother complains about my marrying a schismatic, so I found him a German girl. The complaints have ceased.

In other lovely news, the Nicaeans have failed to take the City. I laugh at them heartily.

By July, the Latins have beat the crap out of Nicaea and occupy (along with their breakaway Duchy of Nikaea) all of our rival kingdom. We finally get out of debt the next onth, so I hatch a plan.

By November, I have enough prestige to claim the title of Count of Herekleia. Stunning, I know.

February 1208, the King of Nicaea finally surrenders to the Duchies of Nikaea and Phillippopolis, yielding his claims on them. Since this opens up some of Nicaea's territory, we attack them in April.

This war goes very well, as we defeat the Nicaeans easily and begin seiging Herekleia. Then Mr. Latin King waltzes in and steal the seige. I mean that literally. Then the Nicaeans attacked, forcing us to fight alongside the Latins. I feel so dirty.

Sept 10, the wife is pregnant and my brother has a baby girl. Well, at least it's something.

Nov 26, the spymaster gets sick. I mention this because it kicks off a whole comedy of errors.

Dec 21, a miracle worker offers to heal the spymaster for some gold. Spymasteer puts his trust in God, and promptly gets pneumonia. I mention that maybe the miracle worker was God's agent, and Spy glares at me before hacking up a lung.

1209, March. The Nicaeans are being stubborn and refusing to cede Herekleia or make a white peace. This changes when the Latins finally force them to peace, taking Dorylaion and forcing the Nicaeans to renounce their claims on Constantinople. Bwa. Ha. Ha.

Jun 15, I get a daughter. Meh.

1210. The war continues against Nicaea, as their replenished troops come into play.

Feb 2, the Chancellor is severely wounded. I never figured out why the fool was out here commanding a regiment anyway. Meanwhile, my brother shows courage by charging into a Nicaean brothel alone.

Jun 16, the former spymaster 9the one with pneumonia) finally dies. Poor bastard.

Jun 19, I display ineptitude. Not on purpose, you understand. It's just in the fog and low light of pre-dawn, a horse's tail looks remarkably similar to its head. You can see where confusion comes in about the saddle, then.

But, my ineptitude is nothing compared to the Westerners, as Rome falls to the Muslims on July 6. Maybe this wouldn't have happened to you guys, if say, you had some sort of large army, and you invaded Egypt instead of TURNING ON YOUR FELLOW CHRISTIANS, YOU DICKS! Of course, that's all hypothetical.

Sept 17, the chancellor gets ill from his wounds. We also finally force the Nicaeans to cede Herakleia. I don't like this habit of long expensive wars for one province.

December, we get out of debt by selling a windmill and pressuring Cherson into giving us more money. Then I hand my daughter over to the nannies.

Feb 4, 1211, our ally attacks a neighboring Muslim Emir. We don't join in because the Sultan of Kirkuk would if we do, and they outnumber us.

Jul 13, a miracle worker offers to heal the chancellor. He accepts quickly, remembering the poor ex-spymaster, and is healed! Huzzah!

Aug 7, the Latins attack Rum. Normally, I'd sit back and watch them fight, but Rum is somewhat weakened by a long war with... what's it called? Armenia Minor? Cicilia? Anyways, the Latins might take too much land...

Aug 26, we attack the Bey of Tyana to get back into war with Rum.

Sept 22, the chancellor is sick again. Perhaps that one wasn't God's agent, i say. The chancellor waves his cane at me before stopping for breath.

Oct 25, Ankyra is captured! It is followed by Kaiseria on the 29th, and Tyana on Nov. 30. Meanwhile, the bastard son gets sent to the army.

1212 opens with a great battle in Galatia that ends in a Trebizondite (?) victory. Koloneia is taken on Feb 19, and Rum begs for peace on March 10, which we accept.

Apr 8, the chancellor dies of his illness. He cursed at the priest before he expired, which may have had something to do with the flames that blasted out of his grave.

To cheer everyone up, we all go peasant-crushing in Tyana. Then I "give in to demands" to end the revolt in Chaldea, which started years ago over my not being Muslim. I'm not sure exactly what I gave into, then...

July 7, the wife gets stressed. When I ask, she says nothing's wrong. I therefore will act like nothing's wrong. And what's the best way to do that?

Aug 22, we attack the Emir of Ikonion, bring us into war with Rum again. Galatia falls on Oct 8, prompting the steward to remain me she's been faithful. I hope so, since she's David's wife.

Dec 12, the wife gets depressed. I still don't know what is wrong.

Dec 22, Rum retakes Galatia! See, look at that. Pay too much attention to your wife, and rabid Muslims start invading.

1213, Jan 17, I white peace the original Emire I dowed and race back home to defend it from the Sultan's army.

Feb 1, I'm not fast enough, but the Home Army performs a stellar defense, driving back the Sultan. Nikephoros Konops led the defense. I'll have to reward him.

Feb 28, David shows heroism in a fight. How come I never get to show heroism?!

Mar 6, Rum takes Trapzon! WTF!

Jul 7, Trapzon is retaken, and Rum agrees to a white peace. Back to somewhat-normal...

Aug 13, I promote Nikephoros to Count of Tyana for his protection of the homeland.

The area becomes peaceful for about a year.

1214, Jun 8, our little ally attacks the Bey of Antioch (the Crusader state was crushed by Rum), we join, and Rum joins. Yee haw.

Jul 12, after starting another major war, the Prince of Chaldea has the discourtesy to drop dead. Ass. We renew the alliance with his son and heir.

Aug, I decided to be a hero and attacked the Sultan of Rum's army with only my personal regiment. I did not notice the Sultan's reinforcements and would surely have been killed without the timely arrival of my brother and the majority of the Trebizondite Army. A death in battle might have been better than being saved again...

---
ScreenSave55.jpg

Trebizond and its neighbors, September 1, 1214
The areas circled in red belong to our ally, in blue is Cicillia (?), which has the same color as us.

Also, a couple places of interest.

Italy:
ScreenSave56-2.jpg

Everything south of red line is Muslim

England:
ScreenSave59.jpg

Engladn imploded rather spectacularly under King John the Kinslayer, but it's beginning to pull together again.

Good going there. Not quite as small as once you were, for sure.

Not bad, I was afraid you'd had it a couple times but you managed to pull thru. And that's a lot of, erm, "creative" ways to spell Paphlagonia. ;)

stnlyn: Yeah, I'm not. The bad thing is, I don't have (and Asia Minor doesn't seemingly have) any rich provinces. As long as I don't have Constantinople, I'm handicapped. Realistic, I guess.

The other bad thing is Nicaea. Their King has high enough intrigue to hold all his provs personally, and Nicaea is a title not tied to land, so I have to take all his counties personally. Romania has about the same problem, but they also have the great prize of the City.

VILenin: Seriously. When the Sultan of Rum captured Amisos then Sinope, I thought I was screwed. I nearly was. I don't think I mentioned it in the text, but that battle I fought with the Sultan on the day the Latins and Nicaeans went to war was my last gamble. If I'd've lost that, it was game over, 'cause I didn't have any other troops.

Last edited: