I am 100% new to grand strategy games besides stellaris. Main tips for dh?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot (136).png
    Screenshot (136).png
    860,4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (137).png
    Screenshot (137).png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (138).png
    Screenshot (138).png
    944,4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (139).png
    Screenshot (139).png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (140).png
    Screenshot (140).png
    969,5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (141).png
    Screenshot (141).png
    918 KB · Views: 0
Just as a friendly reminder, if you over-spend on consumer goods, your dissent will start to tick down.

It looks like your break-though in the south has a chance of cutting off the whole invasion. Good job.

Since Germany is at peace with the west, once you have stopped the bleeding (and captured the Romanian oil fields), you might want to build some subs to cut off the flow of Texas oil.

Last edited:
Another update. This has basicly become ww1 style trench warfare. And i dont have enough tanks to breakthrough. The ones i do have are all light tankes. I have a few medium/heavy tank BRIGADES but thats about it. I would try to use a mix of medium tanks and tank destroyers here but i can barely produce militas with my current IC

Just as a friendly reminder, if you over-spend on consumer goods, your dissent will start to tick down.

It looks like your break-though in the south has a chance of cutting off the whole invasion. Good job.

Since Germany is at peace with the west, once you have stopped the bleeding (and captured the Romanian oil fields), you might want to build some subs to cut off the flow of Texas oil.
Germany is at war with france but nothing has happened so far. This game is basicly ww1 all over again accept the russians arent loosing but are also in stalemate. Dont have enough tanks to breakthrough and my ic is kinda non existant rn.

EDIT just noticed the UK and USA have joined the war against germany. Now i just have to wait them out and i should be able to win.\

Kinda worried about german tanks but most of my units have artillary to help against that so

situation

Attachments

• Screenshot (144).png
    Screenshot (144).png
    943,4 KB · Views: 0
Trying to see if i can deploy some tank destroyers. Also my resources are only red because im over my stockpile limit

Looks like a fun game.

You are in a much better situation then you think you are. Time is really on your side as Russia.

If you would like some more advice, can you show me you spending breakdown?

edit: actually, post a save and I will poke around in it.

You will need 7zip to open this. If you dont have it or want it i can post it in a self extracting archive or normal zip. Darkest hour full.

Attachments

• Soviet Union_1942 Trench Warefare.7z
    563 KB · Views: 0
Poking around in nofog it also looks like germany and france are also in stalemate. This isnt ww2 its ww1 2 electric boogalo now with 100% more communism

Kinda getting overrun a bit in crimea But making slight progress in the north.

Also poland and italy are in an aliance but not in the axis. But not at war with germany. Wish there was an espionage opperation to provoke a war between itally and germany.

Also can you have 2 brigades of the same type in a division? Also how do you attach brigades to units? I see some brigade types that are not on the checkbox screen thingy.(Like glider artillary and stuff). Also another question. Do you need to use this in order to use self propeled artillary or does it replace normal artillary in the checkbox screen?

another last thing. Is there a mod that allows you to create heavy tank and tank destroyer divisions?

All right, I got the save. I'm still looking through it. Your research looks fine.

I think I found your biggest problem:

trench01.png

You are not respecting the command limit cap when attacking. All but 3 of your divisions here is fighting with an extreme penalty.
On the attack (on defense the general of each unit just adds his command limit) you add the command limit of the highest ranked leader in each attacking province.
For example, if you attack provX from provA, provB, & provC, and your highest leader in A is full general, in B a Lt. general, & in C a mj. general. Your command limit for the attack will be 9 + 6 + 3 = 18 (these numbers are each doubled if there is an HQ with a full general / field marshal in a neighboring (or same) province). This is true even if you are throwing 50 divisions into the fight. Flanking attacks are vital to a strong offencive and also give combat bonuses.

I will play with the save a little more and put together a plan for reorganization and victory.

You will need 7zip to open this.
I was also curious to have a look.
In general you are doing surprisingly good.

Some hints:
  • The most effective way to raise IC is bringing down dissent, as a matter of fact it is much more efficient and the payback is much higher than building new IC. Additionally dissent is a direct negative multiplier on combat and also severly lowers your transport capacity... and a red transport capacity is also a negative multiplier to your units speed and combat effectiveness... so it adds quite up.

• If your army has not enough supplies, they get hit heavily by attrition which leads to first loss of morale than even health.

• When producing units, it is always good to make what's called serial 99-production lines. You might not need 99 but you can delete or lower or raise the number whenever you want to. Long lines gives you the really nice to gearing bonus, practically a discount on production. But the gearing bonus is lost when the unit isn't produced at 100% (indicated by the colour changing from green to light green or even red and the tool tip on it saying "Progress is going at full speed/51% of nominal speed/no progress").

• But when at war and in combat, more important than producing more units is the "reinforcement" slider which fills up your damaged units with new soldiers. A unit at 50% health also fights only at 50% strength.
So, priority with the economics sliders should go to:
1) Always ensure that enough supplies are available and consumer goods should be at least at the minimum to get not more dissent.
2) Next important: reinforcements. Can be finetuned on a unit's level with prioritized usually going to what you deem your presently most important units whcih then will be filled up first.
3) What's left goes into production and more consumer goods to lower dissent.
4) Upgrades, in war time, has probably lowest priority. Especially since units, upgrade even without allocating IC, to a slow extent automatically IF in supply and even faster with each reinforcement. This automatic upgrade ability can be also used greatly to make rather cheap MOT out of Cav (can be set in the individual unit's menu).

Short term: Perhaps, instead of the big encirclement, a smaller one and trying a breakthru at Kirovograd might be interesting. But keep in mind that as long as the German army has access to the Black Sea, it is very likely that they won't be really encircled but supplied over the Black Sea.

Long term: Germany has double the IC than USSR and still plenty of man power. It looks like the existence of a neutral Poland is of quite an advantage for the USSR since it keeps the front short and most of the German forces away... otherwise it would look a bit troubling. So you probably should be careful not to overextend even when you are winning at the Romanian frontier.

A very unique interesting a-historical setting you have got there. Have fun!

All right, I got the save. I'm still looking through it. Your research looks fine.

View attachment 738043

You are not respecting the command limit cap when attacking. All but 3 of your divisions here is fighting with an extreme penalty.
On the attack (on defense the general of each unit just adds his command limit) you add the command limit of the highest ranked leader in each attacking province.
For example, if you attack provX from provA, provB, & provC, and your highest leader in A is full general, in B a Lt. general, & in C a mj. general. Your command limit for the attack will be 9 + 6 + 3 = 18 (these numbers are each doubled if there is an HQ with a full general / field marshal in a neighboring (or same) province). This is true even if you are throwing 50 divisions into the fight. Flanking attacks are vital to a strong offencive and also give combat bonuses.

I will play with the save a little more and put together a plan for reorganization and victory.
Ah so thats why my 50 divisions kept getting wrekt by like 2 divisions lol. I thought it was germany's doctrine being op. Allright so my plan now is to reorganize my army throughally and get rid of all of the 1 division groups. And also promote all my leaders whenever possible.

Last edited:

You are not respecting the command limit cap when attacking.
Whow, good catch.

And, heck:
Kondratchev.jpg

That makes me really jealous. I haven't even seen an "encircler" general even once. I am not even sure what kind of boni that gives?

Holy crap after being aware of the limit thingy i am now actually pushing and retaking my river line.

Also siberia is kinda a meme. Its partisans vs the mighty afghan military(i pupeted them so they are helping out with like 1926 calvery or somthing lol) It truly is the most epic battle of the war. Outdated calvery vs partisans.