• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeap give a try with 512. 896*is damn too strange. On the other hand video memory store usually textures, and most of he time 512*is enough. Hoi3*may use less than 256…

OffscreenRenderingMode variants are indeed : fbo, pbuffer and backbuffer. There is no case problem involved in wine registry, afaik.

It is maybe related to nvidia drivers on quite new hardware.

thanks again

had already tried 512
there is a wine bug already reported and i have added my terminal printout to that - so hopefully someone will sort it eventually

doc

I get this after re-checking all steps, and trying to run hoi3game.exe:

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 158 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Value in failed request: 0x21
Serial number of failed request: 222
Current serial number in output stream: 222

It seems X refuses to run it, but I have pixelshader and "glxgears" runs on. Clue?

I made an experimental PlayOnLinux script, which installs HOI3. To install copy the script into a file and install it from "PlayOnLinux->tools->Run a non official script".

However I didn't bother to learn how to edit the registry on command line with wine so that has to be still done manually. This is also true for installing DirectX and .NET framework using winetricks. There should exist POL integration for doing that, though.

I did install the game using this script, however I had some issues with PlayOnLinux not catching the end of the game installation and thus it didn't execute the part after "POL_SetupWindow_detect_exit", which involves creation of the shortcut. However, I have modified the code a bit so maybe it works now.

I hope someone finishes the script and adds support for a nice shortcut icon! I would add a thread about this on POL forum, but I wasn't able to get the forum registration to work.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$PLAYONLINUX" = "" ]
then
exit 0
fi
source "$PLAYONLINUX/lib/sources"

TITLE="Hearts of iron 3"
SHORT="HOI3"
WORKINGWINEVERSION="1.1.28"

POL_SetupWindow_Init
POL_SetupWindow_presentation "$TITLE" "Paradox Interactive" "http://www.heartsofiron.com" "TuomasT" "$SHORT"

POL_SetupWindow_install_wine "$WORKINGWINEVERSION"
Use_WineVersion "$WORKINGWINEVERSION"

select_prefix "$REPERTOIRE/wineprefix/HOI3/"
POL_SetupWindow_prefixcreate

POL_SetupWindow_cdrom
POL_SetupWindow_check_cdrom "Setup.exe"

Set_OS win98

POL_SetupWindow_wait_next_signal "Installing Hearts of iron 3... During the installation cancel the installation of DirectX and .NET framework, but allow MSVC++ to install." "$TITLE"
wine "$CDROM/Setup.exe" 

POL_SetupWindow_detect_exit
POL_SetupWindow_make_shortcut "$SHORT" "$SHORT" "hoi3game.exe" "" "$TITLE"
Set_WineVersion_Assign "$WORKINGWINEVERSION" "$SHORT"
POL_SetupWindow_message "$TITLE installed successfully" "$TITLE"

Intel G45

Can't run HOI3 with Intel G45. It goes thru loading screens and plays music. When it gets to "Map properly initialized" the watch cursor changes into a hand, then back to watch, then back to hand. After that HOI3 freezes, the music keeps playing and the cursor can be moved but otherwise nothing happens.

On the terminal I get lots of errors like this:
fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_select >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUseProgramObjectARB @ glsl_shader.c / 4293
fixme:d3d_shader:shader_glsl_load_constants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glUniform4fvARB @ glsl_shader.c / 667

I have installed HOI3 following this guide (thank you), the installation went seemingly problem free. I also installed patch 1.2, it gave one error about hoi3.exe being a locked file that it could not update, but otherwise it completed ok. This problem was the same before and after the patch.

My computer has an Intel G45 display controller built in on the motherboard. I don't know how much display memory it actually has or uses, BIOS gives options for 32, 64 or 128MB but also says they only matter for DOS. When I set the VideoMemorySize registry key to 128 HOI3 refuses to run, when I set it to 256 or 512 I get the freeze described above. According to Intel, the G45 should support Pixelshader.

Is there anything to try before going out to buy a new graphics card?

How to select a mod

Hi,

Following the first post instructions, hoi3 is working fine in wine except that hoi3.exe is not running. hoi3game.exe allows me to start the game, but how can i choose a mod ?. I have tried to add the mod game in argument to hoi3game but with no effect.

Hi,

Following the first post instructions, hoi3 is working fine in wine except that hoi3.exe is not running. hoi3game.exe allows me to start the game, but how can i choose a mod ?. I have tried to add the mod game in argument to hoi3game but with no effect.

I posted some info here on how to get the launcher working. Let me know if you need help.

Intel G45 again

Solved the problems with G45 by buying a Radeon HD3450. Linux desktop is much slower, but HOI3 seems to work.

Last edited:
Anyone experienced memory shortage on Wine ? HOI3 increase memory usage to a point that there is no memory left on the system, and then crash. My 2gb are not enough.
Is that HOI3 bug, Wine bug, or System bug ?

You need at least 3Gb of memory for HOI3. The same is true in Windows Vista, unless constant swapping can be considered tolerable.

Works for me, with a couple of issues

-After the 1.2 update, all sea provinces are white instead of blue (using simple water). This issue was not present when I launched the game unpatched.

And, my contribution to the Hoi3 Linux community:

In order to be able to launch HOI3 by simply typing "hoi3" into a terminal instead of cding to the directory and bothering with the wineprefix, create a plaintext file called hoi3 in your home folder, and paste this into it

Code:
cd /home/YOUR USER NAME HERE/.wine-hoi3/drive_c/Program\ Files/Paradox\ Interactive/Hearts\ of\ Iron\ III
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-hoi3 wine hoi3game.exe

Then, do

Code:
chmod +x hoi3

And

Code:
sudo cp hoi3 /usr/bin

You can now start hoi3 by typing hoi3. It's like magic!

EDIT: for a shortcut icon, just copy hoi3.ico from your installation CD.

EDIT2: I've found the console key, it's ctrl+alt+NUM0.

Last edited:
this guide works for me. thx

@SoldierOfChrist

thats a bit dirty :p

i realy would not put user specific stuff into /usr/bin. a more clean solution would be to use a starter of your window manager, if there is no such thing one could create the "hoi3" script in your home and set a shell-alias.

this way the system resource would stay clean as all the modifications are made in your home folder.

but in general your solution works fine for most users :D

My "window manager starter" is startx, and putting stuff in your $PATH is still less dirty than using a giant monolithic desktop environment that does it for you.

My "window manager starter" is startx, and putting stuff in your $PATH is still less dirty than using a giant monolithic desktop environment that does it for you.
Thats not what i meant to say. I did think of the "desktop shortcut" equivalent on gnome ond kde.. and i am no friend of the big desktop environments but they are still more often used than *box or my favorite awesome wm.