• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It is very hard to vassalize a minor country, especially if their stability is at top and they have a good economy.

/Johan

An example in a recent game it took me 6 years to vassalize the Crimeans (as Turkey), they refused me for that period of time! It wasn't until they were defeated by the Poles and had the Georgians after them that they agreed to be our vassals.

Sapura

I too tried to vassalize Savoy playing as France but it only did accept my vassallisation after a war against spain that I won and with my stability as high as 2! Maybe countries only becoma vassalls of strong an successful countries!
mios

Maybe countries only becoma vassalls of strong an successful countries!

Of course, its more prudent for a weaker minor country to agree to dependence on the best 'candidate' :) The country that has the most prestige, wealth, savvy and resources. Of course your relationship also depends on a lot, royal marriages, alliances and so forth. But its common sense to want to be on the team that shows the most promise.. it's the same with real life, in sport, in business, everywhere.

Sapura

Okay, hint taken. But France was not really weak. Stability did not drop below +2, France totally demolished three Spanish invasions, taking all Spanish possessions north of the Pyrenees, as well as Cologne. Furthermore, in one of the peace treaties, Spain had to cede Helvetia to Savoie. And France ranked first in the VP list, too.