• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The best use for the scenario editor is to look up the best research team for any given country and technology. For actual editing, it is better to use a text editor of some kind.

It works for some tasks if you're careful

I use the editor with the following precautions:

1. I create a separate folder with a copy of the game (minus the HoI.exe to avoid confusion) in wich i use the editor.
2. I create a full backup-folder for the game (write-protected) in case i want to replace a edited file wich doesn't work
3. when i want to try my edited file i move this file only to the folder HoI is actually installed to, letting it replace the original file.

When doing this it't quite easy to restore changes made if the editor has made something it shouldn't (wich it sometimes does). IMHO with the mentioned precautions the editor works quite well when editing provinces, scenarios and the tech-tree (wich is quite time-consuming when done manually). I don't use it when i edit unit-stats because that's quite easy to do with a text-editor (i.e. notepad.exe).

Am I the only one using it?? /Mattias

Mattias said:
Am I the only one using it?? /Mattias

Well this is first true elaborate and professional sounding actual 'safe' use of the editor.

That I read described.

As being the only one, well no especially if you count 'undead' and the grave-yard of abandoned mods...

of course that is ONLY 'one' reason for the graveyard being so chuck full and available for 'haunting'...
:D

Vilzu said:
Im a bit confused how to create a new scenario with the editor.
To try to answer the original question :) ; It's easier to start with one of the existing scenarios and modify them - there's soo much to do when starting from scratch - if not creating a limited battlescenario.

Yukala said:
Well this is first true elaborate and professional sounding actual 'safe' use of the editor. That I read described. ...
Thx :cool: . My problem is a major lack of time - so i try to limit my modding to the most neccesary things - like a complete revise of VP and other important garrisons for the 1936 & 39 scenarios, revising small garrisons at isolated islands to combat uprisings, revising naval- and air-bases (at least for all contries involved in the conflict), revising infrastructure on islands in the big oceans (usually way to good) and in North Africa (because i'm found of the Desert Fox), revising infrastructure in Euroupe and changing all thoose 100%-provinces to more reasonable numbers... :D :D :D

Since I'm only able to work with this a few odd hours now and then I'm glad I can use the editor sometimes... :) (and HoI 3 will be out before I'm finished) :(

At least i'm finished with the changes i have done to naval units (revising ship stats like speed, surface detection and airattack to improve fleet composition) and to land units (changing militia to brigade-sized inits and letting the garrisons be fortress-troops) together with minor flavor-like changes. I have also increased Combat Modifier - Total Air Overstacking to -0.03 (was -0.02) (makes huge air-stacks less useful) and increased Combat Modifier - Total Naval Overstacking to -0.03 (was -0.01) (makes big ahistorical naval stacks less useful and makes it possible to combat a big stack with a smaller but better composed stack) ;) /M

Last edited:
Vilzu said:
Im a bit confused how to create a new scenario with the editor.

The editor will only add to your confusion, as it will corrupt your game files and generally FUBAR things. Don't ever use it, or prepare for the consequences.

CSABadass said:
The editor will only add to your confusion, as it will corrupt your game files and generally FUBAR things. Don't ever use it, or prepare for the consequences.

Amen brother!

Rex_Ilyricus said:
Hmmm... I use the editor only to add ministers, and I haven't had problems... For everything else, I edit with notepad, but ministers are SO much easier with the editor...

Is it easier than a total reinstall of the game? If so, proceed. If not, I wouldn't take the chance. YMMV.

Rex_Ilyricus said:
LOL, like I said, I haven't had problems... But, since I didn't know it is a possibility, I have I feeling I won't be using it anymore... Thanks :D

You're most welcome! Always glad to spare people the lessons I learned the hard way.;)

CSABadass said:
You're most welcome! Always glad to spare people the lessons I learned the hard way.;)

Same here, I had to reinstall, repatch, re-install mods and then delete all the saved games I had, just to get the working original back...all from trying to use the editor to have some fun with the game...

I wonder why Paradox put it in the game if it's as broken as it has shown to be and why haven't they fixed it?

The editor can be used in a safe way!

Rex_Ilyricus said:
Hmmm... I use the editor only to add ministers, and I haven't had problems... For everything else, I edit with notepad, but ministers are SO much easier with the editor...
I'm so tired of all thoose who give up and whine instead of solving problems! :mad: As I said earlier in this thread it's actually foolproof if used with the following precautions:

1. Use the editor in a separately folder with a copy of the game (remove the hoi.exe to avoid confusion).
2. Create a full backup-folder for the game (write-protected) in case you want to replace a edited file wich doesn't work (It's wise to do this even when editing in notepad).
3. Move the edited file(s) only when it's time for playtesting (to the folder HoI is actually installed to), letting it replace the original file.
4. It's good to log all changes in a separate text-file to remember what's changed (or not).

When doing this it's very easy to restore changes made if the editor has made something it shouldn't (wich it sometimes does). IMHO with the mentioned precautions the editor works quite well when editing provinces, scenarios and even the tech-tree (wich is quite time-consuming when done manually). I don't use it when i edit unit-stats because that's quite easy to do with a text-editor (i.e. notepad.exe).

(I don't say Paradox hasn't released a buggy editor but it still is a good help when used correctly - and YES I have lerned the hard way how to use it safely) /M

Last edited:
Mattias said:
I'm so tired of all thoose who give up and whine instead of solving problems! :mad: As I said earlier in this thread it's actually foolproof if used with the following precautions:

Sorry you're grumpy. You'll please forgive us who are both well aware of these lengthy required precautions and don't consider it to be worth the extra time and effort, especially vis a vie just modding things in WordPad.

Endeavoring to be open minded. :eek:

Points 1 and 4 I do and endorse. I do not use notepad or scenario editor. I use UltraEdit that does point 2 for me file by file. And then from time to time I archive the game renamed and move on.

Point 3 I would not want to do, as it could be easy (for me) to get confused as to what was original.

It seems from conversations that being able to use the scenario editor to check for id duplicates would be very necessary for most modders, even if they have not changed anything, because I know for certain sure vanilla is not clean as is. But I would ONLY use it to 'find' them, write it down and then change them by hand with notepad, editor of choice etc.

CSABadass said:
Sorry you're grumpy. You'll please forgive us who are both well aware of these lengthy required precautions and don't consider it to be worth the extra time and effort, especially vis a vie just modding things in WordPad.
Sorry for my harsh tone, it was quite unneccesary. What made me "grumpy" was when you let your frustration over Paradox faults spill over into this discussion (even if i share your frustration ;) ). In your earlier posts you don't say it takes more time to use the editor if one's good at text-editing you say it shouldn't be used at all, just stating it messes things up. My first post argued about it's better than nothing for people who wants to avoid text-editing when possible. I also tried to give advice on how the editor could be used safely. :)

I appriciate good advice to simplify editing, and i like a good discussion but it's only possible to discuss if one listens to the arguments of others ;). For the record I have missed a way to make editing easier ever since the first release of Euroupa Universalis (even if the possibility to modify my own game was revolutionary)! /Mattias

Last edited:
Mattias said:
Sorry for my harsh tone, it was quite unneccesary.

Thanks for the posts!

No worries, amigo--Best to you and all your future modding...with or without the editor!:)

Yukala said:
... I do not use notepad or scenario editor. I use UltraEdit that does point 2 for me file by file. And then from time to time I archive the game renamed and move on. ...
How does the ultraeditor work compared to a simple text-editor and were do I buy it? /M

Mattias said:
How does the ultraeditor work compared to a simple text-editor and were do I buy it? /M

Ultra-Editor has a lot of 'bells and whistles', far more than I 'know' how to use, and I never relied on any version of a simple text-editor (including notepad) so I would not be competent to compare use differences.

But two features I really like is sort/remove duplicates and match brackets.