• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord Ederon

Field Marshal
57 Badges
Sep 8, 2002
forums.ederon.net
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Paratroopers are only unit type in HoI2/DD allowed to be transported by transport planes and perform airborne assaults. In this short FAQ we'll take a look on how to perform airborne assaults, or transports by plane in general.

To make use of their unique ability, you need these things in addition to paratrooper division herself:
  • transport plane(s) (trp)
  • Battlefield Interdiction Doctrine (can be found in Air Doctrines tab)
While need of transport plane is self-explanatory, you need that air doctrine to enable you 'Airborne Assault' mission. I don't mention need to research technologies for paratroopers themselves and transport planes. It should be clear you need them :)

When you have all you need - that is paratroopers division, transport plane and doctrine enabling you to perform 'Airborne Assault' mission - you put paratroopers to the same province where your transport planes are based in. Once your paratroopers are fully organized (their organisation has reached maximal value) and the same applies to your transport planes, you are ready to perform mission. To carry out 'Airborne Assault' mission, take the following steps:
  1. yet again check whether your planes have full organisation
  2. load paratrooper on planes using loading button
  3. make sure air path to the province you are going to drop your paras in is free of enemy fighters
  4. make sure weather is clear over destination province, you can't perform paradrop in bad weather
  5. click on destination province, choose 'Airborne Assault' mission and set time of attack
  6. wait until your paras drop :)

I hope this little "FAQ" will help new players to get used to non-problematic use of paratroopers.

Of course, most of the folks who start the threads pleading for such answers, as with most of the frequently asked questions of the game, never actually check for a FAQ.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought you were posting a treatise on the more effective applications of paratroopers you'd employed. Doctrines to consider and try out. Ah well.

Brasidas said:
Of course, most of the folks who start the threads pleading for such answers, as with most of the frequently asked questions of the game, never actually check for a FAQ.
Well actually even if those who lay questions about paras looked at FAQ subforum, they'd find nothing. So I posted basics as a start.

Brasidas said:
As Heidle said, its in a FAQ I'll admit it wasn't in the first FAQ I thought it was in, though.
Yes, it is in the wiki's general FAQ. I meant FAQ on this forum.

2 Most effective use of Paratroopers to Date:

A. Attack a province; Force the opponent to retreat then Airdrop on them to prevent them from taking it back immediately; or reinforcing it. This is great for places like Sicily or any island where it can be troublesome to get your men across the ocean/river. As well as little Islands such as Crete where you don't want to move a Naval force all the way around. However is the province is defended in any sense of the word; They become useless.

B. Sealion. Dropping a Paratrooper on England - if Range is an issue conquer Belfast and place a single Airbase on the island then rebase to it. To any province with a port but no infantry means that you can instantly land large numbers of divisions without a costly and sometimes impossible beach assault.

Other than that; Paratroopers largely have no use and are well... quite ineffective.

I usually deploy paratroopers for one more use in addition to yours, and thats to do encirclements.

Dropping 2-3 para's behind a front scattered and simuntaniously attacking head-on from your bulk army, can do some fast suprise pockets. Best situations are in static fronts, and just prior to war, as you can have the time needed to move them in place, waiting for full org. In fast moving wars tho its not too good as your planes cant really keep up, usually beeing out of range before they are ready. So static fronts, fortified positions like objectives etc are good places to have a little suprise encirclement and force your enemy to move the troops around.

As the US, I have had great success dropping paratroopers on undefended coastal provinces with active airbases at night. The planes are immediately destroyed, and you can withdraw your paratroopers immediately. I managed to destroy 8 squadrons in one drop, and 20 in another. Check out my AAR in my .sig for more details.

I was invaded two of these fellows that posted here as Italy. They dropped a para on a undefended coast (non beach) province and shipped a lot of men via tranports, quite effective. This can also be used to invade Britain due to its usual control of the sea.
Despite the coolness factor, transports of pretty expensive and paras are a whole new tech tree to research so it can undoubtebly be useful but maybe not so much cost effective.

Para's are not useless

I mostly uses para's to speed up incirclements.

1. Attack province b and c with regular troops. when these two batless has been won wait some hours to allow for the 24 hours time delay for new attack

2. Drop paras in province b and c. So now province A is instantly surrounded.

3 Use groundforces to kill of enemy troops in province A.

This is a very deadly way to use para's especially in MP where the russian player tends to stack troops in provinces.

Regards Gormadoc

pedal2000 said:
B. place a single Airbase on the island then rebase to it.

This is false you cannot rebase a TRA with PAR on board, you have to move the PAR independently, once the division is at the mission launch airbase it can be loaded on to a TRA, but not with the intent of rebase, because once a TRA is loaded, rebase is no longer available as a mission.

Shahed said:
This is false you cannot rebase a TRA with PAR on board, you have to move the PAR independently, once the division is at the mission launch airbase it can be loaded on to a TRA, but not with the intent of rebase, because once a TRA is loaded, rebase is no longer available as a mission.

I think he meant that you would rebase the TRA after you had dropped the PAR, captured the province as a result, and finally, built an airbase there. The rebase order is so that you can retrieve your PAR with the TRA afterwards. :D

Of course, this is all in the context of invading England across the English Channel, capturing a non-beach province, I believe. Not much room to maneuver once you're there, and you certainly don't want to use the PAR as frontline troops, hence the suggested airbase after a successful follow-on invasion by sea. You gotta get the PAR outta there, and this is the best way unless the invasion happens to net you a port facility.

Last edited:
I'd say it's quite possible to take occupied provincens with paras. I once took the little bugger Malta with using three paras and heavy sea bombardment plus som starvation eariler. I had actually 6 marine divisions waiting to attack since I didn't really believe Malta could be taken with paras alone, so I was happily surprised that time. :rofl:

I often use them to add a bit of punch to two sorts of attacks. 1. Coastal Landings because it tends to double the number of troops you can throw without overstacking (3 marine + 3 paras) and 2. Attacking forts because they ignore land fortifications.

I've never actually measured or analysed how much effect they have when used like this but they seem to help.

Airborne attacks get a bad rap on the forums. I use them in just about every major attack. My primary focus is for quick encirclement. I also attach artillery to them just in case they need to defend. Although they can advance your army quickly they do need to be reinforced swiftly. Market Garden anyone?

Paratroopers can definitely swing the balance in an invasion or campaign. For example attacking the Low Countries as Germany in 1940, paradropped 2 divisions onto Utrecht which acts as a bridge for your armoured units, meaning that they don't have to attack across rivers.

Started Operation Sealion (in 1947!) by dropping six para divisions into unguarded Cardiff allowing me to quickly ship in 36 divisions. Which probably wouldn't have made much headway against the eight divisions dug in guarding the beaches.

When attacking Gibraltar I dropped in three divisions of paras to support the attacking army by ignoring the large land forts

CurleyFurley said:
Paratroopers can definitely swing the balance in an invasion or campaign. For example attacking the Low Countries as Germany in 1940, paradropped 2 divisions onto Utrecht which acts as a bridge for your armoured units, meaning that they don't have to attack across rivers.

Started Operation Sealion (in 1947!) by dropping six para divisions into unguarded Cardiff allowing me to quickly ship in 36 divisions. Which probably wouldn't have made much headway against the eight divisions dug in guarding the beaches.

When attacking Gibraltar I dropped in three divisions of paras to support the attacking army by ignoring the large land forts
If you think Utrecht is such a big problem why don't you just ignore it? You can easily not attack the Netherlands at all until the Vichy event, or you can just post a few infs in the Netherlands holding back the Dutch troops behind the rivers. This way you can have your tanks bulldozering towards Paris without dealing with those pesky rivers.

Well it means that you can avoid sending your armour through the wooded Ardennes, albeit ahistorically, and can instead go through the plains of Holland and Northern Belgium. If you are quick enough then the enemy cannot reinforce the rivers to put up an effect defence, which is where I feel the paratroopers help.

Hi, I'm just getting into HoI2 after a long time of never playing any Paradox games (I played EU2 and a very little bit of HoI2 years ago). Playing the tutorials, I had several problems with using paratroopers as directed by the instructions. First, it wouldn't let me drop them on two of the three enemy provinces. Second, there didn't seem to be any way to simply *move* your paratroopers using air transports (the "move" mission didn't appear). I did not have any analogous problems with amphibious assaults or with moving troops around using naval transports; those both worked fine.

Go easy if these are very noobish questions, I'm effectively new at this. (I did win my first try at a "real" game - Spanish Civil War scenario as the Republicans - but it was on Easy so it probably doesn't count :eek:o ).