• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Windows has failed me for the last time and I'm converting to Ubuntu 12.04.3. Now I'm trying to run the game using WINE but it's being picky, launcher never starts but the game will, but won't load. I'm guessing a full install restore is going to be required?

Here is the wine test for the game on the website: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25239

The sounds also sounded a bit off, like cut off a little at the end.

EDIT: I can't get KR 1.5 to run, though I can get vanilla to run. Strange.

EDIT2:
Code:
winetricks vcrun6 dotnet20

This no longer works, webpage gone. Using WINE 1.4.1 btw.

Last edited:
When using higher resolutions beyond 1024x768, DH can crash upon startup or may become unstable with the new accelerated 3D-wine libraries published a while ago. If you experience this issue but still want to use high resolutions, you can set wine to emulate a virtual desktop of arbitrary size, and then just set DH to run in full-screen with the resolution set to the size of the virtual wine-desktop or smaller. While this may mess up your ability to move that wine-desktop-window around in some display geometries, it still allows for high resolutions.

Darkest Hour 1.04 RC1 with or without mods refuses to load on Linux Mint 17.1 (Ubuntu 14.04 base). It just loads a few seconds and then without error message quits.

Wine version: 1.6.2
Additional programs: winetricks, DirectX 9.0c, .NET 2.0 and VC6.

Strange enough without any additional "tricks" it runs on Wine 1.4.1 on Debian Wheezy but without working mods again.

Did you try to directly execute "Darkest Hours.exe" instead of the launcher ? Runs perfectly on my Minux Mint 17.1 (but for an unknown reason, scenario are not ordered by date)

I've read your WineHQ forum. new error "db/misc.txt" not found means you have either a bad install or a bad selected mod config.
Go to the game directory and check/change value of settings.txt file. Here is mine

0 # LANGUAGE (0 = English, 1 = French, etc.)
0 # MUSIC (1 for on)
http://darkest-hour-game.com/patches/DH_Version.txt # Remote path of the latest game version information, used by the launcher for updates
0 # Display resolution: 0 = do not change (default: 1024x768), 1 = 1152x864, 2 = 1280x768, 3 = 1280x1024, 4 = 1440x900, 5 = 1600x1024, 6 = user specified - see below
1024 # Screen Width (used if 6 is selected as screen resolution - see above)
768 # Screen Height (used if 6 is selected as screen resolution - see above)
0 # Display mode: 0 = full screen, 1 = windowed
0 # Start-up movie: 0 = skip, 1 = play
0 # Extra debug logs (savedebug.txt): 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, 2 = enabled + extra map statistics
1 # Load game sounds: 0 = no sounds, 1 = load sounds
0 # Load unit sprites: 0 = no sprites, 1 = load unit sprites
1 # Load country specific unit and brigade pictures/models: 0 = load only generic pictures/models, 1 = load all available
1 # Refresh map on resolutions higher then 1024x768 when not on Map mode. Enabling this will decrease game speed a bit (on higher resolutions only!), but resolves some cosmetic problems. 1 = Enabled, 0 = Disabled
Mods # MODDIR folder. Default is Mods
Darkest Hour Full # Selected mod (must be a folder into MODDIR)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Darkest Hour Team\Darkest Hour # Location of the game information in the Registry, lets the launcher determine the current game version

I finally managed to run it.
Loading a game takes several minutes, but it wokrs :) (Maybe the same issue like the very slow installation?huh)

The "no excel files found"-error was because I runned the game not from its own directory. So a simple

wine Darkest\ Hour.exe​

instead of

wine ~/.wine/drivec/......./Darkest\ Hour.exe​

did fix the problem.

And the "couldn't initialize video"-error was because my screen rosultion was below the minimum (1024x600 instead of 1024x768).

after a bit of tinkering around i managed to get it working:

to squeeze everything onto the screen:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --panning 1024x768 --scale 1.0x1.28​

to create a 1024x768 window for wine:
wine explorer /desktop=dh,1024x768 Darkest\ Hour.exe​

Reactions:
I'm back now! :) And I can report with a smile on my face that DH + mods runs excellent in Debian Jessie (Wine 1.6.2) with the instructions on post #1. But just in case - avoid Gnome (in my case 3.14), it's not very integrated with Windows software! :D

So after over 8 years, I would say that the state of Darkest Hour on Linux has improved somewhat. Using the Steam version on Debian 12, Proton seems to run DH just fine without any tricks, even with the launcher and mods.

The issue of load times has remained. On Full and mods like Kaiserraich, a new game and a save game load can take almost five minutes (Ryzen 7 4700U). This is a lot longer with Fatherland and quite fast with the Fallout mod. Same slowness can be seen in bringing up the list of war leaders, selecting multiple forces on the map, etc.

EDIT: Have not yet checked how to apply the latest patch as the Steam version of Darkest Hour doesn't seem to yet have the latest fix patch.
EDIT 2: After running a few games, I am happy to say that the issue of loading is almost non-existent in Fallout mod. Has made for some fun gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: