• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The establishment of Navarre's first colony saw countrywide celebrations, and an annual holiday was proclaimed. Even the neighboring countries were impressed, with Castille offering an alliance. The King gladly accepted. This would mean all of Iberia was in alliance against the Muslims to the south, and it would hopefully also protect Navarre from the depridations of the French to the north.

The jubilation of these events appeared to be too much for King Enrique, who mysteriously died days later. Because his son was too young to be crowned, Navarre would temporaily be ruled by a Regency Council of nobles. The council continued King Enrique's policy of exploration, and before long a new potential colony, Cape Verde, was found off the coast of Africa. Between this and Mollyfjord, the people of Navarre would soon have a splendidly diverse supply of fish to choose from at their markets. More importantly, it was hoped this island could be used as a springboard to move into the Carribean to the west, or further into Africa to the south. At any rate, Cape Verde was a better refueling station for our fleets than nearby Arquin, and Navarre had no interest in the slave trade in Arquin.

In December 21, 1463 tragedy befell the country. Navarre's first ever explorer, Gaspar de Beortegui died in a storm off of the coast of Africa. The nation immediately went into mourning. Navarre would have many explorers in future years, but all would try to live up to this man's legacy. He was the first Navarrese explorer to sail to Africa, to the Carribean, and to the icy seas of the north near Greenland, and he will always be remembered.

The mid 1460's saw a flurry of major events. The first two attempts to colonize Cape Verde failed, despite the island being completely uninhabited. Apparently the colonists were not good fishers. Navarre also found itself in its first two wars, one to help Portugal against Mali and another to help Castille against Morocco and Granada. The Portuguese-Mali war was a wash, with Portugal unable to land enough troops to take on Mali's 20,000 strong army. The war against the Moroccans, though, was much more successful, and the Royal Navarrese army acquitting itself well in the epic battle of Almeria.

In the end Navarre was able to get white peace with Morocco, while Castille reduced Granada to a single province. The Regency Council had hoped to extract concessions, but was just happy that the Navarrese army had done well. The war with Mali ended in a white peace. In further good news, King Felipe reached the age of maturity and took the throne.

King Felipe would lead Navarre in war against Algiers in 1468, when Castille requested aid. This time we were able to extract 50 Ducats from the Muslims in exchange for peace, which would be used to fund our first successful colony in Cape Verde.

1469 saw a great advance in technology, with the accompanying ability to build a workshop in Navarre, increasing the Kingdom's tax income by 50%. Unfortunately, there was not quite enough money left from the last war for one, and it would take several years to save enough. In a daring move, King Felipe decided he would declare war on Granada and Moroccoa. Thankfully, his allies proved true and Portugal, Castille, and Aragon all joined in.

This time, the Royal Navarrese army, up to 2,000 men, was able to siege both Granada and Safi before Castille could reach them. Granada fell in less than a year and was forced to accept vassalization and pay 50 Ducats in war indemnities, allowing a workshop to be started in Navarre.

It would be the war against Moroccoa that would have the lognest lasting consequences, however. Safi eventually fell as well, and when Castille made peeace with Morocco, Navarre besieged Marrakesh as well. Aragon sent an army to help, and they were able to assault the province. Morocco then accepted a peace deal favoring the Iberians. They would pay 50 Ducats, renounce claims on the land Castille had taken from them over the years, accept vassaliztion and, most importantly, cede Safi to Navarre. Although the province was poor, paying almost nothing in taxes, it could serve as a refueling port for Navarrese colonists. Now the first colonies in the Americas could be started, without increasing Cape Verde to the size of a city first.

The next years were spent exploring and saving money. The workshop in Navarre was completed, significantly raising the tax income form the annual census. Money from vassals would eventually acount for half of Navarre's tax income, greatly speeding up tech research, and making up for the difficulty of diffusing new technology to multiple small colonies. Another war between Castille and Algiers resulted in another 50 Ducat peace, allowing more colonists to be sent. Cape Verde grew to 500 residents.

The coast of South America was explored, and after a few failed a attempts a new colony was started at Grao Para. This was to be Navarre's first colony rich in resources, in aprticular sugar cane. With only 100 people Grao Para was able to make more in production income than all of the Kingdom's provinces save the capital itself. It was hoped that this bode well for the future of Navarre, and that it would become a rich nation.

comagoosie What, a poor country stuck between Castille and the soon to be annexed (already, actually) vassals of France? What could go wrong? :p

Slinky If I succeeded I might have to rename the aar, but I'll try my best! :)

piff133 I like the sound of the changes, although I may put it off until the download seems a bit more stable. I wonder if I'll be able to continue this or other 2.1 one games with it.

So it's Navarra then, I like the path you're taking of colonization. Nice seeing you allied with the other three Iberian powers.

Capibara Yeah, I have a sort of futile hope that it will kep France from DOWing me. Once I'm strong enough in my colonies I may start looking for other places to expand.

piff133 Usually after the short period of success and euphoria. See the earlier Bulgarian AAR as an example. :D

Wohoo! Sugar provinces, who doesn't love them? ;) I know the feeling that 100 colonists can provide more income than the whole country put together... It seems like you're doing well! You'll need to change the title of this aar if you continue like this :)

safferli Yep, on the one hand it's nice to get so much income for each 100 colonists but in a way it makes me feel sad to have such a poor capital.

I've played pretty far in and managed to fail to run Navarra into the ground. Does that make this game a success or failure? :p

Ok, I have a lot of years to cover, but for the sake of everybody's sanity I'll try to keep statements like "And after 7 years of saving their census taxes, Navarra sent another colonist" to a minimum and only hit the high points.

The next years were peaceful for Navarra, with the tiny nation slowly saving its money to send colonists abroad, and praying that France not turn its predatary gaze on Navarra. Every few years, Castille would declare war on Algiers, and Navarra would send its army and extract 50 Ducats from the Moors, while Castille annexed land and grew a little larger. In between these wars Portugal would declare war on Mali, and inevitably it would end in a white peace, with perhaps one or the other side siezing a colony. The only major change was that Navarra gradually lost its vassals to Castille, as the King was not willing to fight their closest ally over the issue.

Around Europe, however, everything was in flux. Denmark inherited Norway, bringing them soundly to the level of a medium or regional power. In 1492 France fought the first of a devastating series of wars against Burgundy, which would eventually mean the end of Burgundy's status as a major European player.

Eventually Navarra made enough money from war to found multiple colonies. Grao Para finally reached full city status, and was named New Navarra, meant to be the capital of the Kingdom's South American colonies. Initially attempts were made to cohabit peacefully with the natives but this resulted in losses which Navarra could ill afford, so in some settlements the natives had to be driven back into the dense jungle on the edge of Navarran territory.

Navarra was able to fund such colonial expansion from its policy of extracting money from enemy nations invaded by their allies, particularly Castille but also Aragon to a lesser extent, the latter attacking Tunisia from tie to time. The Navarrese army gained a reputation for engaging in mercenary work rather than being a real national army, but this did not bother the Kings of Navarra, who needed the money.

A National Bank was founded in 1515, eliminating the problem of inflation for the Kingdom. In 1519, Cape Verde finally became considered a "core" colony, with enough of it's people registering for the census to have a proper census tax. Safi also became a core territory, although it produced even less in taxes than Cape Verde.

It seemed that Navarra would peacefully colonize the eastern coast of South America without dealing with problems in Europe, but then disaster struck. In 1524, Castille went to war with longtime Navarrese ally Portugal. Apparently the two had some sort of dispute over the worthless title of "King of Iberia". Forced to choose, the Navarrese King pragmatically went with Castille. It was Castille that helped keep Navarra from the depridations of the French and Castille who the Navarrese had fought alongside in North Africa. So they joined the Castillian alliance, fighting against England and Portugal.

The Navarrese army did well in the war, even managing to capture the province of Algarve, although Portugal would not cede it. In the end Navarra signed a white peace with its enemies, while Spain gained territory off of Portugal and England, including many of the latter's colonies in Canada.

Things went better in the next few decades. In 1532 an Aragon riven by rebellion and instability accepted the honor of becoming Navarra's vassal. Navarra now had a strong regional power under its rule! Tribute from Aragon would equal Navarra's other taxes colelcted each month, and almost equal the production income from Navarra's colonies. Some among the Royal Court talked of peacefully annexing Aragon some day, although that would not have a chance of happening for many years.

In 1538 France came to Navarra with an offer of alliance. Never again would the nation have to worry about any military danger to its capital. Denmark also came with an offer of alliance, gladly accepted as they now bordered Navarra's colony in Greenland.

With new friends came many wars, however. Denmark would bring the country into war with Holland and the Netherlands several times, although usually favorable peace deals were signed, while the Mamluks, having annexed what was left of Algiers, repeatedly attacked Aragon, forcing tiny Navarra to come to their aid. These latter wars ended in white peace more often than not, for the Mamluks were a mighty country. Navarra had traded inconsequence for constant warfare, but the Kings and most of the people seemed to think it was worth it.

Aragon as vassal! Yes, that's the way to turn a minor nation into a middling one! :) With all your colonies, income should be increasing? How high is your census tax? Enough to send out 1-2 colonists?

Now only hope you can keep Aragon long enough to actually diplo-annex them.

safferli That's the plan, although I'll face one obstacle. I can't really afford to give bribes to increase my relationship with them. :wacko: I got lucky when they accepted vassalization on the first go.

Sadly, I've played some 40 more years and even after most of my colonies become cores I'll only make enough for about one colonist per year (amusingly, my monthly income will be higher than my census tax). I know, I should have gone for the high tax Carribean islands, but I like having a large number of connected territories, plus multiple gold producing provinces. :cool:

Slinky Aside from the costs of bribes, that becomes the other issue regarding dipoannexing them...

piff133 If I diploannexed them, I'd probably sell their two North African territories. And, if they attacked me directly, Castille would come to my aid. :)

Should get a new update done in a few hours, then I'm going to try to update my other (now almost finished!) AAR.

Very nice progress, it looks like this one is going to last more than the others ;) Well done vassalizing Aragon!

Capibara Thanks, although Aragon proves to be at least as much trouble as benefit. :wacko:

comagoosie As long as I hav Aragonese territory to surrender to the Mamluks, I need not worry. :D

Skinner_Empire I'm a bit surprised myself. Now that it looks like I might not be crushed, I have some plans for Navarra, which should become clear after a few updates.

Time to catch up to where I was in the game all those weeks ago when I last played. :wacko: I'm not quite sure where my notes are but I'll do my best. After this next update I'll be caught up and start a new set of notes.

The next decades saw an increase in Navarra's prestige and power. Navarra became a full partner in many of France's wars, helping to weaken Burgundy and the Netherlands, although unfortunately they never saw any proift from the wars, the Navarrese Kings considered it worth it. Their country had finally become significant in European politics.

Navarra also began to experient with colonization in Africa, annexing the small country of Loango to gain a foothold.

In 1558 Navarra found itself in an unusual position. The nation of Qara Koyunlu, holding a small foothold in Italy, attacked their vassal Aragon. Apparently the Timurid Empire had warned Qara Koyunlu about adventurism, and Navarra found itself in a wartime alliance with the Timurids. Sadly, little came of the opportunity, and eventually a white peace was signed.

In 1561 Navarra was dragged by its Castillian ally into a war with Portugal. Portugal happened to be allied to England, who had colonies next to Navarra. Most of Navarra's participation in the war would occur in Brazil, where English and Navarrese armies traded off siezing colonies.

After a year of skirmishes between small colonial forces, a favorable peace deal was made with alliance leader Portugal. For the loss of one colony in the south siezed by England, Navarra would gain three colonies contiguous to their main ones in Brazil. In yet another sign of the country's ascendency to the European stage, Navarra had managed to humble a major power.

After a brief period in the 1560s in which the country was ruled by a regency council, Navarra was once again ready to flex its muscle. This time it declared war upon Kongo. In this war Navarra learned that small forces of technologically more advanced troops could wear down much larger armies of primitive troops, something that would come to the minds of Navarrese Kingas and advisors again many decades down the line. Even when forced to retreat great losses were inflicted upon the African warriors, brave but underequipped.

In elss than a year Kongo was annexed, but upon learning that its main trade was slaves, little wanted in Navarra, it was released as a vassal. This would have great economic benefits for Navarra, as local rulers proved able to extract far more in tax income than a foreign one, and half of their taxes went to fill Navarrese coffers.

One of the most earthshaking events for Navarra of the 16th century would occur in 1577, when Castille went to war with Aragon. Unwilling and unable to fight against its largest and one of its oldest ally, Navarra reluctantly joined in war against their former vassal. Just as the country's star appeared to be rising in Europe, it became apparent that larger countries could still dictate Navarra's foreign policy. Ah well, perhaps good could still come of it. While Castille gutted Aragon, over the course of two separate wars Navarra also gained territory from their former vassal. In the first war Aragon ceded Pirineo to Navarra and much of its heartland to Castille. In the enxt, it would cede Rousillion, Girona and the Beleares to Navarra, and become a vassal.

Well, that wasn't exactly what I was planning on when I vassalized Aragon, but I suppose Navarra did grow quite a bit. Best of all, unlike my colonies, my Aragonese territories actually increase Navarrese manpower quite a bit. Next update can be made from new notes and should be a bit more detailed. :cool:

Now you're wedged between France and Spain, not a favorable position, but you might manage to survive this time :)

I'm just glad they're both my allies.

My biggest nightmare=The go to war with eachother. :wacko:

Castille would win, because they have far more colonies (France was late in getting QFTNW and Castille also took a lot of colonies from England). Whether I'd survive or not is considerably more questionable.