• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Zimfan said:
camo Thanks, with my relative lack of skill I'll need it. :p

Geredis I'm definately going to be more careful about who I accept royal marriages from (at least it could have been a big country). I saw all these great opportunities, too, in particular a defenseless Corfu without allies. When King Lodovico died I had 2,000 men preparing to invade Albania. :(

Kazmir Yep, Crete is now a vacation home for the Golden Horde, at least when they're not in Corsica (conquered by them early in the game). I guess either the Ottomans weren't the alliance leader (a bit odd) or the Golden Horde was part of the flurry of other DOWs I received.

I think for my next faction I'll try a landlocked Balkan nation. I'm thinking Croatia or Bosnia. First I'll get another update or two for my Novogorod/Venice campaign, though.

Make a Croatian one, I don't think I've seen one yet.

I think there was one, but it was a megacampaign, using some converter from one of Paradox's other games.

Croatia it is! I think I'll have to hope that Hungary and the Austrians trounce the Ottoman Empire.

But...but...I already said "Croatia it is!". :p

I probably won't be starting round two of the series for half a day or so, and if most people end up wanting me to play Bosnia, I will. I'm not too picky about who I run into the ground. :)

Sematary said:
I would suggest Bosnia.

Zimfan said:
But...but...I already said "Croatia it is!". :p

I probably won't be starting round two of the series for half a day or so, and if most people end up wanting me to play Bosnia, I will. I'm not too picky about who I run into the ground. :)
Well my idea behind it is if you want to be Croatia you have to release them first, and then you are sandwiched between Venice, Hungry (who has cores on you), and Austria. As Bosnia you can do a small war with Venice without much fear and then you can spread to the other Balkan minors before chiseling away at the Ottomans or others.

I'm playing a game of Bosnia right now, and I'm current in the mid 1500s. It was a difficult start, with both Venice and Hungary(allied with Poland) declaring war on me after I took out the Balkan minors (Albania, Ragusa, Serbia, Montenegro). Venice quickly offered a white peace and warned me shortly after. Poland demanded that I be a vassal and release albania. I took this offered, and then allied with Poland. 5 years later, I broke my vassalization and Poland inherited Lithuania, making me allied with the world's strongest nation. Poland then began declaring war on the Ottomans and I deperately took as much land as possible, taking the lead in wars and making peace deals where Poland cede territory it took from the Turks, and then a treaty where I take that land. I also declared war on Hungary and Poland joined me, ending Hungary's alliance. At this point, Bosnia includes all the Balkan States (Croatia to Serbia), most of Greece up to Thrace, and most of Romania. Poland has western Anatolia, and Wallachia and Silistria, and is blocking my Eastward expansion. Later today I will upload a screenie of my game.

After some looking through the AAR library to see who doesn't have any writtien yet (and a few detours through the more interesting looking ones :D ) I decided to throw a curveball and play a Balkan nation not only not mentioned yet in this thread, but without any AAR of their own (even Croatia has a megacampaign aar). That nation is Bulgaria, formerly Turkish territory, but released easily enough as part of a peace deal with Hungary.

Now, without further ado, the Annals of Bulgaria.

In August of 1453 Bulgaria finally gained it's freedom from the Ottomans thanks to the efforts of its ally and friend Hungary. King Kalojan II, last of the members of the old royal family, was put onto the throne. As mighty of a nation as he knew Bulgaria was, King Kalojan knew it was in danger, with so many larger nations laying claim to the region. Military access was exchanged with the Ottomans in the hope of keeping them from declaring war, while Bulgaria prepared for a war on Moldavia and Wallacia, declared on New Year's Day, 1454.

Bulgaria's economy was strained to the breaking point, and several 10 Ducat loans were made, but little progress occurred. Bulgaria's single 3,000 man army was just barely able to chase several Moldavian and Wallachian armies around, and the tiny nation was hemmoraging money. Finally, their ally Hungary managed to assault the capital of the Moldavians, and they were forced to pay a war indemnity and become a vassal of Bulgaria.

King Kalojan died leading a brave charge against the Wallachians, but his successor King Koloman III was an able man, and continued the war.

King Kaloman knew that continued skirmishes between Bulgarian and Wallachian forces would be futile, so he allowed the Wallachian army to siege Bulgaria's capital, while Bulgarian armies sieged both of Wallachia's territories. Luck was on his side and they fell before the Bulgaria city did. With the loss of both of their territories, the remaining Wallachian forces quickly surrendered and in early 1456, Wallachia became a vassal of Bulgaria and ceded Oltenia.

In just two years Bulgaria became a three province nation with two vassals, but King Koloman was not satisfied. He knew that to stave off larger predatory states more land was needed. He noticed that Athens had no ally since Morea was annexed by Austria, and having military access through Ottoman territory made it easy for him to get troops there.

Somehow the King's lust for land was not sated by this conquest and his next target was Rhodes, held by the Knights. They also had no allies, and although their fleet could have prevented Bulgarian troops from crossing onto the island, they sent it far away to send men to Athens, where a Moldavian army took them out. The way to Rhodes was now free and Bulgarian troops were ferried there. Rhodes was quickly taken and annexed.

While possibly still greedy for land, the King paused when he realized how unpopular his nation had become in the world. It was decided that it was time to relax and consolidate his gains, while Bulgaria's reputation recuperated. He was even forced to let Poland annex Moldavia, since he couldn't fight such a large nation, to say nothing of its ally Lithuania.

As 1459 came to a close he angrily noticed that the larger nations to the north thought nothing of splitting Crimea between them, despite their concern about Bulgaria's meagre conquests. Austria was also likely to demand territory from the Ottomans, since they seemed to be winning a war with them. He became determined to gain more territory in his reign, somehow...

So, how much warmongering can Bulgaria manage without being invaded by all neighbors? Or will they turn peaceful for a while? Are there more one province minors in the area without allies to pick on, which will most likely provide the answer to the last two questions? Tune in for the next update to find out! :D

Last edited:
Nice, good luck with this, you'll need it soon when Poland, Lithuania, Austria and Ottomans realise your existence. Are Ragusa, Montenegro and the rest vassals of Ottomans? If not I think those would be good addition to your empire, some are pretty populous and with high manpower and moderate base taxes.

And that's pretty impressive for AI Georgia!
Must be the first time I see Crimea getting destroyed this early on.

I'm sure I will, although mutual access with the Ottomans might stave them off (they've even helped with a rebellion or two). It's Poland I'm worried about, with their monster of an ally Lithuania.

The other little Balkan nations are still free, but allied with bigger factions I can't fight yet. I'll definately be on the lookout for a break in their alliances (or distracting war on the part of their big allies).

AI Georgia is kicking butt, almost puts me to shame.

I think Crimea declared war on Genoa, only to have Moscuvy enter the fray. The two of them picked Crimea apart.

I like Bulgaria. I´ll definitely follow this AAR, and I hope you´re a bit more succesfull this time :D

spl It definately looks like it. I editted the post to fix it, but it didn't work. :wacko: I'll try deleting that section and reuploading the link later today. Transylvania is still vassalized and allied to Hungary, so I'm not sure I can annex them, however much they're asking for it.

Slinky Thanks. I hope so, too, but I have a bad track record with minors, hence the name of the thread. :D Hopefully the quick, aggressive start will help.

camo I'll definately be careful. I doubt I could survive a war with any of my neighbors...

piff133 That's pretty much how these series of mine go. Hopefully I'll luck out this one. :D

Sorry for the late replies, I've gotten a bit caught up in doing my other AAR, which is nearing completion (and the 1800s). Still doing this one, though, and will get another update up tonight.

The Annals of Bulgaria, part two.

The 1460s and early 1470s were the golden age of Bulgaria. As they opened Bulgaria was at peace with all neighbors, and exchanged military access with most of them allowed them to fight eachother without having to run roughshod over Bulgaria.

There were some rebellion problems with the new greek provinces, but Turkish armies fought alongside the Bulgarian Royal Army to defeat them.
Others did not fare so well. Austria fought a successful war against the Ottomans, while Lithuania and Poland split Hungary between them. Still, this meant little to the Bulgarians, or their new King Iwan Asen IV.

King Asen, seeing that the Austrian province of Morea had rebelled, ordered it quickly invaded and annexed, further expanding the nation.

The King had hoped to have a sustained peace, but a peasant's war threw the country into chaos. During the next decades, not even the core provinces would be safe from rebellion, but as always Bulgaria's Turkish friends would come to their rescue.

In 1468 a new King, Kulojan III came to power. Wanting to secure his legacy with conquest like past Kings, he looked for an opportunity for war. He found it in the Venetio-Bosnian war, which included Montengro, a tiny ally of Bosnia. Seeing that the Bosnians and Venetians were distracted with eachother, he declared war on Montenegro. While Venice dismantled Bosnia, Bulgaria was successful in annexing Montenegro.

However, the war had not ended there. Bulgaria was still officially at war with Bosnia, and had to Bosnia's sole remaining province. Even this did not bring peace, as the Bosnian King continued to reject peaceoffers until his only army was destroyed. Finally, after another 2 years of war, Bosnia accepted vassalization and paid Bulgaria war indemnities amounting to 50 Ducats.

The next years saw peace, except for the peasant's war. Bosnia eventually faced war with Croatia, but Bulgaria did not consider it in their interest to interfere, especially as Croatia's ally was Lithuania. The revolts in the country slowly died down, although they never went away completely. With 7 provinces, Bulgaria had become a major Balkan power.

Then disaster hit. After decades of peace and good relations, the Ottomans declared war on Bulgaria. Eventually peace was bought by ceding Oltenia and ending the vassalization of Wallachia, but this was temporary.

For a while things seemed to go well. The Ottomans were given military access again, and went back to helping Bulgaria defeat its rebels. Wallachia accepted vassalization again, this time by peace, and then, barely 5 years later, the Turks declared war again. This time they overran all of Bulgaria's provinces. The fearless Bulgarian Royal Army tried to fight back, briefly taking Macedonia, but it was too late. Bulgaria was forced to cede every single province save their capital, and they knew it was only a matter of time until the Ottomans annexed them.

Alright, so I learned a few things in that one. One, in 2.1 small nations can afford a lot more troops than they used to provided they're AI nations. My provinces weren't poor but I had trouble keeping up half maintainance for 3 regiments, while one province nations had as many or more troops. 2nd, the Peasant's War really sucks and will reduce income in every province by some 50% and produce armies no small nation can afford to fight. Lastly, I really dislike the Ottomans. :p

I guess it's time to find a new minor faction to play. I'm thinking either one well liked by its neighbors, or on an island somewhere where it's hard for the AI to get to them. Maybe in southeast Asia...

Last edited: