• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi Comet,

I have no problems with that, so here what to bring it down to imho:

1) ensure you have the right folders

common/defines

2) In the defines folder have a text file with your alterations, to my knowledge it does not matter what you call that file

3) Within that file have your changes, e.g.

# Changes by Urrunoa

NCombat = {
UNRAISED_LEVY_REGIMENTS_SPEED = 20.0 # Halfed was 40.0 How many distance units do unraised regiments travel per day when gathering

LEVY_TOUGHNESS = 10 # How much toughness does each levy soldier have
LEVY_ATTACK = 10 # How much attack does each levy soldier have
DAMAGE_SCALING_FACTOR = 0.03 # Scaling factor for dealing damage in combat
BASE_RATIO_CASUALTIES_CONVERSION = 0.5 # Raised was 0.3 How many of the soft casualties should be converted to hard casualties during the main phase

MEN_AT_ARMS_MAX_COUNTER = 0.9 # When RATIO_FOR_MAX_COUNTER is hit, the damage output for the MaA will be reduced by this much. For values lower, it'll be linear between 0 and this value
RATIO_FOR_MAX_COUNTER = 2.0 # You need this many effective regiment chunks to counter a single regiment chunk. Modified by counter effectiveness (E.G., = 2.0 in the MaA's counter section means twice as effective countering). So if stack size is 100, 50 men from a regiment with 2x counter will produce one point of countering. Thus if the ratio for max counter is 1.0, they'd fully counter a full-strength MaA chunk, or halfway counter two, etc.
MEN_AT_ARMS_COUNTER_MODIFICATION = 6 # A countered men at arms base type get this modification to all of their rolls
MIN_DAYS_BEFORE_MANUAL_RETREAT = 14 # Number of days before a retreat can be ordered

PURSUIT_STAT_TO_PURSUIT_DAMAGE = 0.5 # The pursuit stat is multiplied by this before being turned into actual damage
BASE_TOUGHNESS_TO_PURSUIT = 0.05 # This many % of the toughness of the retreater's soft casualties will turn into pursuit (during the full pursuit, not per day). Essentially, this means if neither side has screen or pursuit, 5% of the soft casualties will become hard casualties. More if the pursuer has more pursuit than the defender has screen, and vice versa
MINIMUM_PURSUIT_DAMAGE = 0.01 # High screen can't bring casualties below 1% in the pursuit phase
DISEMBARK_PENALTY_DAYS = 45 # Increase by 50% was 30 How long does an army have a penalty after disembarking?

KNIGHT_DAMAGE_PER_PROWESS = 100 # How much "Damage" stat does a knight get per prowess?
KNIGHT_TOUGHNESS_PER_PROWESS = 30 # Increased was 10 How much "Toughness" stat does a knight get per prowess?
COMBAT_RESULT_MONTHS_TO_TIMEOUT = 12 # Combat results timeout after this many months
}

here spelling and capitalisation does matter a great deal, the things need to be named and structured exactly as in the vanilla file. Make sure your file is loaded last as other mods that get loaded after might make changes to defines that would overwrite the changes you made.

Hope this helps you.

Hi Comet,

I have no problems with that, so here what to bring it down to imho:

1) ensure you have the right folders

common/defines

2) In the defines folder have a text file with your alterations, to my knowledge it does not matter what you call that file

3) Within that file have your changes, e.g.

# Changes by Urrunoa

NCombat = {
UNRAISED_LEVY_REGIMENTS_SPEED = 20.0 # Halfed was 40.0 How many distance units do unraised regiments travel per day when gathering

LEVY_TOUGHNESS = 10 # How much toughness does each levy soldier have
LEVY_ATTACK = 10 # How much attack does each levy soldier have
DAMAGE_SCALING_FACTOR = 0.03 # Scaling factor for dealing damage in combat
BASE_RATIO_CASUALTIES_CONVERSION = 0.5 # Raised was 0.3 How many of the soft casualties should be converted to hard casualties during the main phase

MEN_AT_ARMS_MAX_COUNTER = 0.9 # When RATIO_FOR_MAX_COUNTER is hit, the damage output for the MaA will be reduced by this much. For values lower, it'll be linear between 0 and this value
RATIO_FOR_MAX_COUNTER = 2.0 # You need this many effective regiment chunks to counter a single regiment chunk. Modified by counter effectiveness (E.G., = 2.0 in the MaA's counter section means twice as effective countering). So if stack size is 100, 50 men from a regiment with 2x counter will produce one point of countering. Thus if the ratio for max counter is 1.0, they'd fully counter a full-strength MaA chunk, or halfway counter two, etc.
MEN_AT_ARMS_COUNTER_MODIFICATION = 6 # A countered men at arms base type get this modification to all of their rolls
MIN_DAYS_BEFORE_MANUAL_RETREAT = 14 # Number of days before a retreat can be ordered

PURSUIT_STAT_TO_PURSUIT_DAMAGE = 0.5 # The pursuit stat is multiplied by this before being turned into actual damage
BASE_TOUGHNESS_TO_PURSUIT = 0.05 # This many % of the toughness of the retreater's soft casualties will turn into pursuit (during the full pursuit, not per day). Essentially, this means if neither side has screen or pursuit, 5% of the soft casualties will become hard casualties. More if the pursuer has more pursuit than the defender has screen, and vice versa
MINIMUM_PURSUIT_DAMAGE = 0.01 # High screen can't bring casualties below 1% in the pursuit phase
DISEMBARK_PENALTY_DAYS = 45 # Increase by 50% was 30 How long does an army have a penalty after disembarking?

KNIGHT_DAMAGE_PER_PROWESS = 100 # How much "Damage" stat does a knight get per prowess?
KNIGHT_TOUGHNESS_PER_PROWESS = 30 # Increased was 10 How much "Toughness" stat does a knight get per prowess?
COMBAT_RESULT_MONTHS_TO_TIMEOUT = 12 # Combat results timeout after this many months
}

here spelling and capitalisation does matter a great deal, the things need to be named and structured exactly as in the vanilla file. Make sure your file is loaded last as other mods that get loaded after might make changes to defines that would overwrite the changes you made.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks for your help, but after some trail I get my problem more specific. I find that the game just doesn't load the definetion: PIETY_GROUPS = { "christian" "islam" "pagan" "eastern" } in my mod.
I move all the define files from vanilla to my mod, as a result, the piety icons are missing, which means the definetion: PIETY_GROUPS = { "christian" "islam" "pagan" "eastern" } doesn't work. But if I copy only this definetion back to the vanilla, the piety icons will show as usual. I completely have no idea on it.

I looked through define and there seems to be no PIETY_GROUPS part of the vanilla define file. Could you post your code, then might be able to see if something is odd. Where did you find PIETY_GROUPS, often things do not work everywhere but rather in a specific area / within a specific scope. Also key words need to be always exactly like paradox made them, even if they misspelled, have funny capitalisation etc.

I looked through define and there seems to be no PIETY_GROUPS part of the vanilla define file. Could you post your code, then might be able to see if something is odd. Where did you find PIETY_GROUPS, often things do not work everywhere but rather in a specific area / within a specific scope. Also key words need to be always exactly like paradox made them, even if they misspelled, have funny capitalisation etc.
It's in \common\defines\graphic\00_graphics.txt, line 463. Sorry for not describing it so clearly. And key words are not a problem, because I just COPY them rather than editting them.

Ok, does the part about PIETY_GROUPS stands in a txt file at \common\defines\graphic ? If it would be under \common\defines it most likely would not work. I found it several times that what stand where is an important factor. If you could describe more specifically what you did exactly it would be easier to help. As right now its a lot of guessing. :)

Ok, does the part about PIETY_GROUPS stands in a txt file at \common\defines\graphic ? If it would be under \common\defines it most likely would not work. I found it several times that what stand where is an important factor. If you could describe more specifically what you did exactly it would be easier to help. As right now its a lot of guessing. :)
In my mod, I've already tried putting it under \common\defines\graphic and \common\defines, but it just didn't work in both situations.

This might help, copy the vanilla file 00_graphics.txt, make sure it stands at same place in your mod as it would stand in vanilla. Then delete all lines / blocks where you do not make any changes to. At the end you left with just the bit you want to change, apply your change. Test it and look into error log if you get any errors. Otherwise please copy your code so someone might be able to spot the error. :)