• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quite not the same, CotC exploits a sort of bug (when an extra family is create, the game is not able to get rid of them, and then is always locked with the extra family) but the interface is not adaptative and there is no way to have less than 5
Granted, Crisis of the Confederation is in general Galle finding ways to trick the system into doing things it shouldnt.

Hence why you can have female succession in merchant republics there.

Is there a way to make both Inland Republics and Theocracies playable now? I would guess copying some lines from the MR code would do it, won't it?

I was thinking about this, and I believe it's possible now, you just have to create a government type that has cities as its primary holding type, but not give them merchant republic mechanics. It might also work for having civil administration empires, where the vassals are city primary holders, and the liege is a castle AND city holder type; add some custome crown laws to reduce vassal levies to 0, and mercenary companies instead to simulate standing armies, and you have something possibly quite roman.

Reactions:
Crisis of the Confederation already does that(6 families).
As ngppgn said, there is no way to have fewer than 5 families. For examples of how fewer families could be useful, a single patrician family in a non-merchant Republic could be used ffor the Medicis, and if you are willing to accept having 1 less playable Merchant Republic, AFAIK Genoa would be better with a single family representing the "Bank of Genoa" rather than an actual family, and election events for a new ruler every four years.

So, how would you go about putting a custom government in game? In the history files? Would it need to be assigned to a specific religion or culture?

Also, would it be possible to set it so that certain types of government can intermarry?

So, how would you go about putting a custom government in game? In the history files? Would it need to be assigned to a specific religion or culture?

Also, would it be possible to set it so that certain types of government can intermarry?

As far as I know, you set governments for characters in the same way you set their religion or culture - either by history files or by script command

Reactions:
Code:
AND = {
OR = {
AND = {
has_game_started = yes
is_merchant_republic = yes
}
capital_scope = { port = yes }}
higher_real_tier_than = count
any_demesne_province = {
always = yes
}

If I take out the capital_scope = { port = yes } line will that allow me to create playable merchant republics inland?

I once created a merchant republic only to see the vassal move the capital inland and turn it non playable.

Wonder if taking out the line below in both religion and government type will fix it

Code:
allows_matrilineal_marriage = no
Currently you can mod Muslims to allow matrilineal marriages in the files, but the actual user interface hasn't been set up to allow the box to actually appear, so a player can't actually make a matrilineal marriage.

Would it be possible to create a republic that have elections every 4/5 years?

I look away for five minutes and my prayers are answered! Huzzah!

I do have a few lingering questions, in the hopes that Karolus Magnus is still around:

• At the moment, there are crashes related to government type changes, when a feudal state with merchant republic vassals becomes a merchant republic itself. Has this been fixed? What does the game do in this situation?
  • Since the "must have no merchant republic liege" requirement is apparently not hardcoded, what happens if a merchant republic is a vassal of another merchant republic?
  • Do nomadic tribes use the tribal government type, or their own custom government type that you aren't willing to share with us yet?
  • What "government type" do landless patricians have?
  • Unrelated to governments, but a modding question I'd really appreciate having answered by Paradox: how, precisely, does the AI choose when to select a plot? I am currently running a test game in which the AI is stubbornly refusing to take plots that have a x10000 AI chance.

Would it be possible to create a republic that have elections every 4/5 years?

This is already possible, but only through scripting. See AGOT's Volantis for the simple version and COTC's term lengths for the ridiculously complicated version.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I know you can do it by religion by copying the line from the buddhist or jain descriptions.

Unfortunately it is restricted to your sons...does not work for grandsons
Wait, where did you hear this? I've been looking for this for ages.

Would it be possible to create a hereditary merchant republic with this system?
Nope, because heir designation only works gavelkind, primogeniture, and ultimogeniture.
What you CAN do, however, is to make primogeniture or seniority succession law that is allowed for merchant republic.
Tried that once, seemed to work.

I look away for five minutes and my prayers are answered! Huzzah!

I do have a few lingering questions, in the hopes that Karolus Magnus is still around:

• At the moment, there are crashes related to government type changes, when a feudal state with merchant republic vassals becomes a merchant republic itself. Has this been fixed? What does the game do in this situation?
  • Since the "must have no merchant republic liege" requirement is apparently not hardcoded, what happens if a merchant republic is a vassal of another merchant republic?
  • Do nomadic tribes use the tribal government type, or their own custom government type that you aren't willing to share with us yet?
  • What "government type" do landless patricians have?
  • Unrelated to governments, but a modding question I'd really appreciate having answered by Paradox: how, precisely, does the AI choose when to select a plot? I am currently running a test game in which the AI is stubbornly refusing to take plots that have a x10000 AI chance.

This is already possible, but only through scripting. See AGOT's Volantis for the simple version and COTC's term lengths for the ridiculously complicated version.

Regarding your last question, I think that ai_honor modifier in traits can be part of the reason. Have you tried assigning a test trait with ai_honor = -1000 or something like that? But yes, Knowing the AI reasoning when picking objetictives in general would be useful to have.